Have you ever hustled anyone?

knockdstiffknockdstiff Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
And by hustled I mean specifically led them to believe you were much worse than you were and ended up taking lots of their money. Let's hear it.

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A good gambler would never tell and always shoots just well enough to win the bets, but not so well as to create animosity or eliminate potential future income, think I read that somewhere. "If not for those bad bounces you had on 8 and 17, I might not have been able to get past you today" image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evolution TS 661 
    TEE CBX 16.5* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 962b 2-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • epixepepixep If the wind will not serve, take to the oars Members Posts: 1,425
    Yes. Only once.

Back in 2007 (high school days), my friend and I were playing our team course and were paired with two gentlemen in their mid to late 30's. They had a full-sized staff bag with their names embroidered and the latest and flashiest equipment. The seemed very irked to have to play with some young kids, and didn't introduce themselves on the first tee. I distinctly remember them actually ignoring my friend when he tried to shake their hands.

My friend, who was a great player at around a +1 (he's a struggling professional now), almost shanked his 3 wood off the first tee while the two of them discussed their day's bet (while pulling out wads of cash to flash around) with no regard at all for the either of us. One of them looked up and said, "Man, you should probably hit another one. That barely made it to the fairway." As they drove off my buddy and I discussed the possibility of staying back and letting them play as a two-some, just to avoid a round of ****. We decided to see how it played out, and it only got worse.

After teeing off on the second hole my friend gestured to me to slow down on the walk to our balls. He told me to play poorly for a few holes, and I immediately knew where his head was at. After we both parred the first, we proceeded to intentionally (yet masterfully) hit poor shots into terrible positions and three putt at will.

On the 5th tee one of the older guys remarked how he was already "a few ahead". I asked, "what type of game are you guys playing?" Match play. Simple enough, it was head-to-head match play. The 5th was a short par 3 and my friend asked if they wanted to do a two-man best ball with the same format. They jumped on it. $10 nassau per person, straight up. Once again, they drove off and my friend and I walked up to the green. I was surprised when he told me to continue to play poorly, but understood where this was going. He asked me how much cash I had, and I told him $20 which was less than what was on the line. He didn't seem worried.

We intentionally lost the front nine, down $10 headed to the back. On the 10th tee: friend asks if they're willing to play for a little more. They eagerly agree to a two-man combined stroke play $10 per hole per person. I look at my friend like he's out of his mind. I just don't have the cash, but we play. Friend shoots 29 on the back, combined with my 35 to take $80 from them each. We won every hole, and most by two or more strokes. At some point around hole 15 or 16 they stopped talking to us completely.

Best part, that I'll never forget, one of the schmucks doesn't have the $80 cash. Turns out those "wads" were mostly singles. My friend, a senior in high school, follows this grown man to a gas station to get his money. One of my best memories on a golf course.
  • TheMackDaddyTheMackDaddy SEATTLEJr. Boomers Posts: 4,735 ✭✭
    Never have. Too hard to hustle anyone with a white ping stand bag at a public course.
  • richard trichard t Members Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Only once. Guy just WOULD NOT SHUT UP. Driving folks crazy." Nobody and I mean nobody can beat me and my buddy." Sadly, we'd seen him play. His " buddy' better be Jack Nicklaus. So my pal and I conclude we only have to beat his friend whose sure not Nicklaus- we hope. lol. Took them for $100.00. Gave it to the pro for some charity. Then they begged for a rematch! Gamble some with guys I play with, but no hustling there we've all know each other to long.
  • doxtr111doxtr111 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    nochrome wrote:

A good gambler would never tell and always shoots just well enough to win the bets, but not so well as to create animosity or eliminate potential future income, think I read that somewhere. "If not for those bad bounces you had on 8 and 17, I might not have been able to get past you today" image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    LOL. So much like pool....
  • HighSpeedSceneHighSpeedScene Banned Posts: 3,183 ✭✭
    Never lied to anyone, but I've definitely used peoples egos and/or biases to my advantage. Hustling? I prefer to call it natural selection.
  • GWDGWD garywdixon Members Posts: 1,666
    Here is an oddity (apparently)...I've never bet on a round of golf, putting green, or range in over 40 years. No....really, I'm not hustling. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Charity and club tournaments, sure, but no side bets.

The excitement and enjoyment of the game seem enough for me. It is always me against the course. The course usually wins. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Maybe not having a game worth betting on is an explanation.
    > Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
    > GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
    > XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
    > Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
    > Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
    > Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
    > Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite
  • RRFirebladeRRFireblade AKA Jay. Members Posts: 4,782
    I never take a bet I dont think I can win. Now I never lie to anyone but its also not my responsibility to offer any more info than they request when setting the game.
    XRP 8.5* XS
    XRP #3 XS
    Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
    Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
    Scotty Studio Select Custom
  • armydiverarmydiver Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    I have been the hustled a few times. Never the hustler. It's all good. Nobody forced me to play, and I would never play for high enough stakes that it really matters. When it comes to higher level financial interactions though, I'm a lot more discerning.
  • mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I have been hustled. By a guy who used to be an acquaintance, a friend of a friend. He didn't have an official handicap, but claimed he was an 18. I was a 13 at the time and would give him 5 strokes. After 3 straight losses I finally started seeing the light and told him I would only play him straight up after that. He never played me for money again.

I very rarely if ever play for money these days, maybe a beer match amongst friends.
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • mr smithmr smith Members Posts: 930
    garywdixon wrote:

Here is an oddity (apparently)...I've never bet on a round of golf, putting green, or range in over 40 years. No....really, I'm not hustling. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Charity and club tournaments, sure, but no side bets.

The excitement and enjoyment of the game seem enough for me. It is always me against the course. The course usually wins. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Maybe not having a game worth betting on is an explanation.

In Oz we play comps most ofthe time so there is always something on the line. I play to win against the field and dont need side bets.
  • KSanford33KSanford33 Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    I play for money fairly often, but like others have said, I've never dogged it to set the trap. I did empty one guy's pockets because he wouldn't shut up though. I started the first 3 holes -1 and he keeps telling me how good he is and his +1 start was a fluke. He won't let it go, and by the time we finish 9 he says he would beat me 9/10 rounds. So I said let's play for $20 for every stroke we beat the other one by at the end of the round. He had to stop at an ATM after the round.
  • RoddyRoddy Members Posts: 38
    Only once, I had a couple bad holes and the guy's ego wouldn't stop. I played bad enough to press a few times. I shot 39-30 on him. **** was he pissed.
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Only once, and I've told the story on here before.

Punk kid I work with who knew I was a golfer (I'm a 5.1) and he said he was scratch.

I happily took four strokes from him and ended up dusting him by 11 shots. I shot 78 and he had 89. I also have never beaten him by less than 9 strokes straight up since then.

We played a dollar a hole, and I took 12 bucks off him, haha. He needed to be served some humble pie. I was happy to do it. None of the guys at work hear about his 'glory days' anymore, haha.
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what is considered a hustle, but two years ago a guy that was on my league was talking big at our end of year dinner. A couple of drinks were involved, and he was saying about how he could play as well as the rest of us if he just had a decent driver. Note, this guy's AVERAGE was about 63 for 9 holes.

So I was tired of hearing it, and I bet him $5 a hole to play me straight up, where I would let him use my driver, and I would play with just 2 clubs of my choosing.

I used a 7 iron and 4 wood. I won 6 holes, and he won 1 in which he had a birdie, his only birdie the entire year. I shot 47 with 4 3-jacks (probably should have practiced putting with my 4 wood!).

He kept talking big after that for some reason, and I was going to challenge him to another match, me playing left handed, but instead he joined the military! lol
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    Most of the guys at our club play for a few dollars on the side, $5 per nine and $10 for the match for example and there is always the opportunity to "press"

What can get expensive is the $1 bets against the rest of the field, pretty much everyone bets each other for the net overall score so if you have a rough day at the office and come in last and bet against 70 guys then you would be $70 down right there.

So the most you tend to have at stake is about $90.
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. But I got hustled one time and good.

I was a 20 year old college kid who thought I was better than I actually was and found out halfway through the back nine that the guy I was playing had been a Tour player in the 50 & 60s and won some tournaments.

Painful lesson. In all fairness to the guy - he did introduce himself....I just wasn't up on my golf history to know who he was.

$300.00 is a lot of money to lose when you're broke and in college.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • billyhandsomefacebillyhandsomeface Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I think you have to be good in order to hustle someone. That would eliminate me.
    I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!
  • kthug5kthug5 K-J Members Posts: 131

Never have. Too hard to hustle anyone with a white ping stand bag at a public course.

Exact same problem here. Blades don't help either.
    M2 Tour Issue 8.5*~ Prototype Hand Crafted HZRDUS 6.5 62g Red
    M2 15* ~ Hand Crafted HZRDUS 6.5 62g Red
    Nike Vapor 19* ~ Speeder 869 Tour Spec X
    Titleist 695MB DG Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM5 Raw 53* 58* DG Tour Issue Onyx S400
    Scotty Cameron Circle T Long Neck Newport Rat
    ProV1x
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play weekly with 2 or 3 guys back in Ohio, probably 10 years ago. We played different games and usually the most you'd lose was $40 on a terrible day, $20 on a bad day, $0 on a normal day. We played for probalby 4 years together every week. I was a struggling college student while they all had decent jobs. They took my money farily often back then and I didn't have much. We played in scrambles as a team and we usually won so I probably broke even in the long run with them and golf. But after a few years I packed up and moved to California.

Well, one summer I went home to see my family and rounded up the boys for a game. We played our usual match. Me about 27 now, them progressing into the late 40s. They continued to play at the same course every week without me. I figured they'd beat me again as usual but I have a good job now so I figured whatever. Well they both had the recession hit and both were struggling now but since I rarely come home they decided to play.

We played 18 holes, I think I was up like $30 on one guy and $40 on another. We played $1 par skins, $5 birdie skins, $10 eagle skins as a threesome. Like I said, I was up on both, and they were kind of bummed so they pressed and doubled bets for another 18. So now it was $2 par skins, $10 biride skins, $20 eagle skins. Well, I went par, birdie, par, eagle chip-in which a chip-in added double so that eagle cost them $40 each. They decided to call it quits after the 4th hole of the second round. They each had to write me a check because they didn't have that much cash and one had to call me when he had enough in his account to cash it. I didn't think I was hustling them but looking back I guess I did. I had improved alot in California because I worked at a club, got tons of help from asst. pro's and could play all year round. They stayed flat and maybe waned becuse of age.
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • spazospazo Members Posts: 690 ✭✭
    I play golf with a smoking hottie on the regular. I give her a ton of shots and then lose. every once in awhile I click it on to keep it interesting, but, yeah, that's a good hustle
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a few months ago after our Fantasy Football draft we are all sitting around drinking and chatting when one of the guys in the league start talking about golf. One of my buddies says hey talk to "Kyle" hes pretty good and played in college. So he and his brother start running their mouths and i just let it go. About 2 hours and 5 drinks later they are still talking and finally i had enough and decided they needed some humble pie. So i pull out the old Tin Cup line and say "i could beat you both straight up with a 7 iron". Which i knew i could b/c i can break 40 using just my 7 iron on the courses we play and just by looking at these guys i know they are trash. They seem so sure im crazy they decide its worth $150/guy. I agree, then they come up with the brilliant idea they want to scramble together against me!!!! I sheepishly say thats fine but only if i can scramble with myself. (1man scramble). They say OKAY!!! I start laughing after we shake hands in front of everyone and they get nervous. I say " you just gave me two putts on every putt, putting is the hardest part of 1 club golf". The next week we all take of work early on a friday and have our match. I shoot -2 68 with 4 birdies from 6600 yards and they shoot 78 scrambling. My fantasy football team name is now 68-78! ;-)
    Titleist TS3 8.5* ...........................................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15*......................Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7X 42.5" D3
    Taylormade TP UDI 18*.............................HandCrafted Hzrdus Black 105X 39.75" D4
    Mizuno CLK 18*...........................................PX EvenFlow Black 85X 40.5" D3
    Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 23*....Aldila Proto By You 85X D3
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-Gw .........................PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D2-D5 off 46* Pw
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.06 .........................................DG TI S400 35.5" D6
    Tour Only Odyssey Jailbird Mini Versa | BWB | plumbers neck | WHP insert | Tour SNSR Contour Pro
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file