Match play final.. Was I hustled?

Barry88

I played our club match play final today and got beaten 6&5, a shock to the system to say the least. The guy is off 12 so I had to give him 7 shots, he was 9 just last year. Anyway he was +1 gross for 13 holes and beat me out the gate!! 2 bogeys, 1 birdie and 10 pars. I'd have to be -4 to just keep up with that. Should I be annoyed because I feel like I did well to get to the final competing against higher handicap golfers in my previous matches and to only be trounced today by a guy who's clearly better than 12 and said he played the golf of his life. Should I hold my hands up and accept the better player won or be aggrieved with a clearly false handicap player beating me?

Titleist 915 D3 8.5 Project X Tour X-7C3
Titleist 913 Fd 15 Projext X Tour X-8C4
Titleist 910H 21 Fujikura Motore F3 S
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS C-Taper X Flex
Titleist SM5 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1079685-barry88-titleist-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can back up the claim of a "false" handicap then you can grumble...to whom I don't know. Its over. But a 12 who was once a 9 has a chance to shoot a very good round. Now, an 18 might be another story.

I'll bet you have had "rounds of your life" on occasion and maybe if today was your top days the results would have been different regardless of how your opponent played. You can likely think of several shots you left out on the course that could have turned the tide. For your opponent, confidence breeds more confidence and if pressure is not applied then a roll can begin.

Look at the names on the Web.com tour that have had a day (or four) of their lives and won on the big tour. Immelman winning the Masters is a good example. Johnny Vegas is another. It happens.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Play gross instead of net. Handicap tournaments are rife with these issues.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I think there are a lot of golfers out there who are athletic enough to have a good day and look like a solid single cap one day, and play like crap the next. I can go from hitting a lot of solid shots and putting well one day, to full on hitting chunks, thins, bad putts etc...and play 15 shots worse the next day.

Bad luck for you, but I don't think it is guaranteed the guy is hustling or sandbagging.

I would guess its more likely with young guys...one day piping 260 yd drives in the middle, next day hitting four drivers ob.

Net is just flat out dumb.

I wouldn't have shook his hand.

I'm not a gracious loser when I feel like someone is hustling. I make it known... Once. And then I walk away.

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

[quote name='againstthegrain' timestamp='1381101273' post='7962129']
What score did he post for the round?
[/quote]

he was 1 over gross for 13 holes along with 7 shots I gave him..

Titleist SM5 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1079685-barry88-titleist-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

What did he shoot to beat the others to get to the final with you? If he was putting up 1 overs every match, then yes you were hustled. If he squeaked by the other matches and then had a career round, congratulate him and tell him you will see him next year.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1381103808' post='7962309']
What did he shoot to beat the others to get to the final with you? If he was putting up 1 overs every match, then yes you were hustled. If he squeaked by the other matches and then had a career round, congratulate him and tell him you will see him next year.
[/quote]

I agree with this^^^^^^....I play off a 15. I had 7pars,1birdie, and a triple bogey on the back nine yesterday. It was just a casual round but I can get hot that way. I can get even hotter when I am playing for something. For me I think it is a focus thing. I can shoot an 80 or 105 on any given day.

[quote name='Barry88' timestamp='1381102408' post='7962207']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes I understand that, but did he post an 18 hole score for handicap purposes?

[quote name='againstthegrain' timestamp='1381105897' post='7962509']
[quote name='Barry88' timestamp='1381102408' post='7962207']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes I understand that, but did he post an 18 hole score for handicap purposes?
[/quote]

no he didn't post a score today, we finished on the 13th and that was that

Titleist SM5 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I am positive you got hustled. Match play finals, a high pressure event and a guy is on pace to shoot 10 shots below his handicap? That's not a guy just being 'on' for a day. I don't buy it for a minute.

The icing on the cake is that a match play event can end on the last hole and the guy doesn't have to post the score. And the fact he didn't want to speaks volumes about the situation.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1381107493' post='7962667']
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I am positive you got hustled. Match play finals, a high pressure event and a guy is on pace to shoot 10 shots below his handicap? That's not a guy just being 'on' for a day. I don't buy it for a minute.

The icing on the cake is that a match play event can end on the last hole and the guy doesn't have to post the score. And the fact he didn't want to speaks volumes about the situation.
[/quote]

Actually, under the USGA handicap rules 13 holes is enough to post an 18 hole score. He absolutely is required to post a score. For the holes not played he should record par plus any handicap strokes he would be entitled to based on his course handicap and the handicap allocation on the scorecard.

[/quote]

I agree. And, if I were playing so well, I know I'd want to finish the round, even if the match was over.

[/quote]

Agreed. No doubt about it.

I know anything is possible....but the 4some I'm in for my casual rounds has a 7, 9 and a 12 hcp...the 7 on a couple of occasions has come in with a 1 over score after 9 but never kept it at 1 over going into the 13th hole, odds are the 12 you played is not really a 12.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1381107990' post='7962729']
This is why you flight a tournament.
[/quote]

Correct.

Our men's Club Championships get flighted to 0-9, 10-17, 18-26, 27 to 36. Two day event. There are net prizes to be "Class Champions"

Then to get into the matchplay of each class, the gross sores are used. Then knockout stages to get "Club Champions".

That way the sandbaggers/higher handicappers in each division get something. So do the better gross players. Everybody happy

I think it is possible. I played yesterday with a guy that was a 12 and he said his best round every on our course was 71, Par is 70. He had a chance on the last hole, middle of the fairway, 100 yards away, and plugged it in a bunker. Made bogey. He said he was bummed. I could see him doing it and I could also see him being a 12. Granted, shouldn't be happening often, but a 12 could be a couple over for 18 holes I think, and if he was once a 9, he for sure could be a couple over for 18. Just because he was 1 over for 13 doesn't mean he didn't have a couple of doubles ahead of him once the choke factor starts coming into play around hole 16 when he realizes he has a chance to shoot his best round etc etc.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1381115037' post='7963253']
I think it is possible. I played yesterday with a guy that was a 12 and he said his best round every on our course was 71, Par is 70. He had a chance on the last hole, middle of the fairway, 100 yards away, and plugged it in a bunker. Made bogey. He said he was bummed. I could see him doing it and I could also see him being a 12. Granted, shouldn't be happening often, but a 12 could be a couple over for 18 holes I think, and if he was once a 9, he for sure could be a couple over for 18. [b]Just because he was 1 over for 13 doesn't mean he didn't have a couple of doubles ahead of him once the choke factor starts coming into play around hole 16 when he realizes he has a chance to shoot his best round etc etc.[/b]
[/quote]

Or once he realizes the match is over and he needs to keep his handicap up so he can continue to get strokes...

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1381115125' post='7963257']
I think it is possible. I played yesterday with a guy that was a 12 and he said his best round every on our course was 71, Par is 70. He had a chance on the last hole, middle of the fairway, 100 yards away, and plugged it in a bunker. Made bogey. He said he was bummed. I could see him doing it and I could also see him being a 12. Granted, shouldn't be happening often, but a 12 could be a couple over for 18 holes I think, and if he was once a 9, he for sure could be a couple over for 18. [b]Just because he was 1 over for 13 doesn't mean he didn't have a couple of doubles ahead of him once the choke factor starts coming into play around hole 16 when he realizes he has a chance to shoot his best round etc etc.[/b]
[/quote]

Or once he realizes the match is over and he needs to keep his handicap up so he can continue to get strokes...
[/quote]

Could be true too if he is regularly playing at 1 over through 13. It's that regularly thing that needs to be investigated.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1381115251' post='7963267']
[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1381115125' post='7963257']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Could be true too if he is regularly playing at 1 over through 13. It's that regularly thing that needs to be investigated.
[/quote]

Of course, if scores aren't entered hole-by-hole, how does one go about doing that?