Matt Kuchar putting lesson with Bettinardi

PapaRat7

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents.....

[size=3][color=#000000]I've been working on "learning" the arm lock method now for a couple weeks. [/color]

[color=#000000]On what this method "fixes" you have to ask the bigger question first with your putting game on why you are dissatisfied with your current putting game or why you are not holing as many putts, etc[/color]

[color=#000000]Ultimately, it comes down to misses as a result of poor green reading, poor aiming or alignment of putter at address, poor distance control or finally a putting [u]stroke[/u] issue that results in pulls, pushes off the line you had intended.[/color]

[color=#000000]For me the issue was a stroke that would produce a pull or push from over active hands and in particular this h append on 5-7 footers.[/color]

[color=#000000]Like bellying putting the arm lock method does a great job of taking the unconscious hand action out of the stroke. So you solve that issue with the stroke repeating better with the arm lock and hitting the putt where you aim it. But, as with anchored belly putting you have to re-learn the distance control as for "me" it is not as intuitive as conventional putting and can be inconsistent.[/color]

[color=#000000]The arm lock method can result in a very repeatable set up/address method and the large muscles do seem to be more dependable. Aiming and alignment with the built-in forward press of an arm lock designed putter is an initial challenge that will take some practice to get accustomed to. Also, putter fitting for the arm lock method for length and lie angle are more critical then a conventional putter. [/color]

[color=#000000]So, I see great promise in the arm lock method , but be prepared to spend time practicing and learning this method so that it becomes a natural action out on the course. So far for me it is very good improvement on the testy 5-7 ft range. [/color]

[color=#000000]Work in progress....fun experiment.......and if the average guy could show up in a golf store and try one out it would likely find many early adopters.....but imho without assistance from someone who does this method or has watched a few of the videos on how to accomplish the setup it is likely to feel unnatural and not catch on.[/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000]Also, imho the arm lock method is not as simple to pick up and use as anchored belly putting. [/color][/size]

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

This style of putting allows me to consistently perform a repeatable stroke, more so than any other style of putting I've ever attempted in the past. It locks my wrists in and forces me to use my entire upper body rather than just an armsy swing, this has been a problem for me in the past particularly on longer putts. My distance control has improved drastically and something about my stance just fits my eye and allows me to see my line much clearer. I absolutely love the feel of this putter as well as look with the 2.5 shaft offset, being carbon steel with the fit milled face is a great combo! I went through 6 putters during June/July (shamefully this isn't uncommon for me) until I decided to give the Kuch 1 a try and for the first time in my golfing career I have gone almost 3 months with out a putter purchase and am really not interested in even putting at Golfsmith, I actually think I found the one! Ymmv but it fits me better than anything I have tried in the past!

917 D3 8.5 Aerotech TI Fiber 70<br />Callaway GBB Epic Diaman whiteboard X<br />Titleist 818 H1 18 Atmos Black X<br />Titleist 718 AP3 4-GW AMT white<br />SM7 Raw Vokey 52F & 58K<br />Scotty Cameron Laguna

If you do attempt this method I strongly suggest getting fit, maybe this works for me because it is the first putter I was ever fitted for!

917 D3 8.5 Aerotech TI Fiber 70<br />Callaway GBB Epic Diaman whiteboard X<br />Titleist 818 H1 18 Atmos Black X<br />Titleist 718 AP3 4-GW AMT white<br />SM7 Raw Vokey 52F & 58K<br />Scotty Cameron Laguna

The reason this putter was a game changer for me is because I always head a tendency to peak on the shorter putts. With the Kuch Model 2 arm lock, I feel that I can keep the putter head moving towards my target and the wrists and forearms do not break down. It's been really impressive with some skepticism at first but now I don't see why I would switch again. Cool comments from Kuch on the video about using the big muscles totally agree.

I will echo some of the comments made by "firstbatch". The reason I went to the armlock method is because my wrists would break down in the stroke, especially under pressure.

No question that some experimentation with length, grip, and setup are needed with the armlock.

Personally, I am experiencing improved accuracy and distance control both on longer putts and shorter putts. This method works great for ME.

A few months ago, I self-modified a belly putter to test the arm lock method. It was very natural from the start. Last week I stopped by Bettinardi Studio B and got fit for the Kuchar #1. I have only played 54 holes with the new stick. Distance control has been exceptional. Mistaken reads are really the only reason I have missed putts inside of 10 feet.

The only change in my setup with the real arm lock model is a more exagerated forward press than normal. The FIT face actually helps to identify the proper amount of forward press. From address, as soon as I can no longer see the FIT engraving, I know that the amount of forward press is correct. In addition, my posture has become more consistent. I had a SuperStroke belly grip installed. I use the graphics on the grip to consistently hold the putter in the same location. I then ensure the but end of the shaft is always touching the same spot near my left elbow. This combination almost guarantees that my posture remains consistent throughout the round.

This method really seems to be the best of both worlds - a legal anchor with the feel of a traditional stroke.

[quote name='prouse25' timestamp='1382501498' post='8044121']
A few months ago, I self-modified a belly putter to test the arm lock method. It was very natural from the start. Last week I stopped by Bettinardi Studio B and got fit for the Kuchar #1. I have only played 54 holes with the new stick. Distance control has been exceptional. Mistaken reads are really the only reason I have missed putts inside of 10 feet.

The only change in my setup with the real arm lock model is a more exagerated forward press than normal. The FIT face actually helps to identify the proper amount of forward press. From address, as soon as I can no longer see the FIT engraving, I know that the amount of forward press is correct. In addition, my posture has become more consistent. I had a SuperStroke belly grip installed. I use the graphics on the grip to consistently hold the putter in the same location. I then ensure the but end of the shaft is always touching the same spot near my left elbow. This combination almost guarantees that my posture remains consistent throughout the round.

This method really seems to be the best of both worlds - a legal anchor with the feel of a traditional stroke.
[/quote]

"I had a SuperStroke belly grip installed. I use the graphics on the grip to consistently hold the putter in the same location" --- exactly - I do the exact same thing. My left thumb goes right on the "p" which gives me a repeatable position on my upper forearm about two inches below the elbow. As an idea for others, since the armlock putters have about 7 degrees of loft, what I have been doing around the fringe of the green is to reduce the forward press and position the putter head near my front foot. This gets the ball up and rolling better across the longer grass on the fringe. For me this is much more reliable than using one of my wedges. As we are now into late fall and the bermuda will be going dormant soon, I expect to use this method a lot more this winter as the grass around the greens continues to thin out.