Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Comments

• SchneeSchnee SOTABM Northeast 5539ClubWRX Posts: 5,539
    I have a TP '14 ATV 58* And have had no problems using the bounce. It's good, but the MD2 are the $#&t
    Posted:
    "Grasshopper breaks wing
    soars with Master's healing words.
    Winter grounds him"

-Hawkeye77

Becky Johnson Award Nominee 2016

Taylormade M6 10.5* Graphite Design AD DI 
    Taylormade M3 HL Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 
    Titleist 818 H1 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.14F Stealth S200
    [Vokey SM7 58.V Oil Can S200
    LAB Golf Directed Force Reno 2.1T/Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Welded Neck Custom (name TBD)

ig-badge-48.png
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • whiteflashwhiteflash  587Members Posts: 587
    Schnee wrote:

I have a TP '14 ATV 58* And have had no problems using the bounce. It's good, but the MD2 are the $#&t

Slate or chrome in the MD2 ? Do you like one over the other? Probably no performance difference just cosmetic?
    Posted:
  • SchneeSchnee SOTABM Northeast 5539ClubWRX Posts: 5,539
    whiteflash wrote:

Schnee wrote:

Slate or chrome in the MD2 ? Do you like one over the other? Probably no performance difference just cosmetic?

Probably chrome for me. The slate is nice too but leaning toward the chrome. Just cosmetic unless I'm missing something
    Posted:
    "Grasshopper breaks wing
    soars with Master's healing words.
    Winter grounds him"

-Hawkeye77

Becky Johnson Award Nominee 2016

Taylormade M6 10.5* Graphite Design AD DI 
    Taylormade M3 HL Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 
    Titleist 818 H1 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.14F Stealth S200
    [Vokey SM7 58.V Oil Can S200
    LAB Golf Directed Force Reno 2.1T/Scotty Cameron Futura X5 Welded Neck Custom (name TBD)

ig-badge-48.png
  • fishstix94fishstix94  1403Members Posts: 1,403
    whiteflash wrote:

Schnee wrote:

Yeah there is no performance difference.. It is all purely cosmetic.
    Posted:
  • J13J13 Dad golf  15751Members Posts: 15,751
    Schnee wrote:

Agree. I got the ATV's before the MD2 Tour grinds were released so once the grooves wear out I will be moving to the Cally's. The ATV grind works really well for me on tight lies though.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram- @Jminis13
  • spiderspider  1102Members Posts: 1,102
    I have the MD2 Tour in 54 and 60° I have only played them 3 times but what I saw and felt was good. I like the straight leading edge look. I haven't been able to get the lie adjusted or lofts checked yet. It was tough to let go of my trusty Cleveland wedges even though they had no grooves left. I have been out of commission from surgery so haven't played in 3 months. Should have better review when I return and get some playing time with them.
    Posted:
    Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
    Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
    Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
    Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
    Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
    Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
    Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
    Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

Advertisement
  • naj959naj959  1038Members Posts: 1,038
    Do you guys think the Maltby MG tour grind wedges would work with this technique? They look to have the right grind and moderate bounce. I'm thinking of building a 52, 56, & 60*.
    Posted:
    Nobody?
    Posted:
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  16958Members Posts: 16,958
    No clue what those are. The 52/56 really don't matter grind wise. 60 is the one that matters. If you're good at it any wedge will work. But some have a much larger margin of error than others
    Posted:
    iteachgolf wrote:

No clue what those are. The 52/56 really don't matter grind wise. 60 is the one that matters. If you're good at it any wedge will work. But some have a much larger margin of error than others

Dan I definitely need as much margin as possible. I'm decent around the practice green but hit and miss on the course due to nerves (lingering yips) and old habits. I think I really need to focus on keeping the club low on the course because my tendency is to break the wrist and let the club pass my hands early and skull the ball when I feel anxious. The maltby's are pretty cheap and I like to build clubs as a hobby so that's why I was looking to go the component route. So far I've been very impressed with their gear and will build a set of irons when I wear out my current sticks. By the way getting the right shoulder higher in my full swing has done wonders for my ballstriking so thank you for that. It's nice to be able to hit a ball with virtually no movement but that's a topic for another thread.
    Posted:
    That wedge is close to ideal grind wise. Not sure what actual bounce numbers are but certainly looks like Itd work fine
    Posted:

Advertisement
  •  Dave D Dave D  4023Members Posts: 4,023
    just bought the videos and cant wait to watch them on my lunch break then practice the basic shot tonight at the course
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
    3 iron: Srixon ZU85 20* w/ Nippon Modus 120x

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34"

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Hi Dan, I tried to PM you but it said you were full, I purchased your short game series earlier and have watched the basic bunker shot and the chip from a good/tight lie, cant wait to work on these tonight while im out playing. I have just one question, what changes do you make from the basic chip to say a 30 -50 yard yard pitch which requires more speed? is it same setup and technique you just **** the wrists on the backswing? like the flop video but not opening the face as much?

Thanks for all your help. Feel free to PM me if you didn't want to post it on here
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Yes simply a bigger swing and ball maybe one ball back of where it is greenside left armpit to left nipple area.
    Posted:
    iteachgolf wrote:

Yes simply a bigger swing and ball maybe one ball back of where it is greenside left armpit to left nipple area.

still the same slightly raised handle at setup and same followthrough?
    Posted:

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Only need to raise it for tight lies. For a normal lie it'd basically be your normal full swing setup with feet a bit closer together. Same followthrough
    Posted:

Advertisement
    iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Only need to raise it for tight lies. For a normal lie it'd basically be your normal full swing setup with feet a bit closer together. Same followthrough

excellent thanks Dan!
    Posted:

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • joeuncjoeunc  1158Members Posts: 1,158
    iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dan

As he was asking about a longer shot, would you advocate using less loft like say a PW out to about the 30 he said, then if you get furhter than that you may have to bring some wrist **** into the shot and use different technique than your basic chip?

thx

Joe
    Posted:
    joeunc wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dan

As he was asking about a longer shot, would you advocate using less loft like say a PW out to about the 30 he said, then if you get furhter than that you may have to bring some wrist **** into the shot and use different technique than your basic chip?

thx

Joe

No I wouldnt. Doesn't mean it can't work but PW doesn't usually have optimum grind and offers no advantage. From 30 yards out I'm trying to fly it most of the way there. There are more times I'd open up a 60 from 30 than use a pw. PW will come off WAY lower and roll out a good bit more. Not a common situation where that's necessary
    Posted:
    Well I played 9 and I hit a lot of short game shots. Hit pitches better than I have in years! Dan would you recommend using a 60 for most shots then? learning to fly it most of the way?
    Posted:

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
    Imo yes with current agronomy and greens getting faster and firmer. Very rarely will I use something other than 60
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • joeuncjoeunc  1158Members Posts: 1,158
    iteachgolf wrote:

joeunc wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dave D wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Dan

thx

Joe

No I wouldnt. Doesn't mean it can't work but PW doesn't usually have optimum grind and offers no advantage. From 30 yards out I'm trying to fly it most of the way there. There are more times I'd open up a 60 from 30 than use a pw. PW will come off WAY lower and roll out a good bit more. Not a common situation where that's necessary

thanks Dan, it's just sometimes it feels like when if I get so 30 to 40 out, I can't keep the stroke you mention in the basic chip video. The arms start to get higher and we get into wrist bending time. If I keep the stroke pure to the video with my 58' wedge, recommended ball position I get nice soft height but not the distance. I try not to speed the stroke up, so a PW with the same basic stroke (club soled normally) gets me more carry and still some height, it's not a back foot low skipper.

So other than speeding up the basic stroke with the most loft how do I get the longer carry?

big thx

Joe
    Posted:
    Longer swing. Wrist will set a bit more. But simply longer. To control distance you want to keep the rate at which you swing constant simply changing the length.
    Posted:
  • JNZJNZ  92Members Posts: 92
    iteachgolf wrote:

Imo yes with current agronomy and greens getting faster and firmer. Very rarely will I use something other than 60

Even out of sand?
    Posted:
    JNZ wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Even out of sand?

Absolutely the only club I use out of the sand. It has the most benefits with no downsides
    Posted:
  • musicmanryannmusicmanryann  81Members Posts: 81
    Even before I recently watched Dan's vids and read through this thread I switched to hitting out of sand last fall with my 60 and my bunker game improved immensely. It is really good too, considering how much time I spend on the beach!

Hey Dan, if one were to buy a glide ts 60, would you recommend any of the custom grinds ping offers, such as their lob or wrx grinds? Thanks ahead of time!
    Posted:
    Hodge-Podge of ill-fit
    Ping
    Mizuno
    Titleist
    Cleveland &
    "Billybaroo" Hogan 56K Grind

Advertisement
    Nope. I like TS how it comes
    Posted:
  • ej002ej002  5129Unregistered Posts: 5,129
    iteachgolf wrote:

Would you opinion change if you were living up north and playing there all the time in the soft conditions?
    Posted:
    ej002 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Would you opinion change if you were living up north and playing there all the time in the soft conditions?

No. TS actually has the most bounce. Just narrowest sole. Could use SS with more trail and trailing edge relief too.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience  3577ClubWRX Posts: 3,577
    iteachgolf wrote:

ej002 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

No. TS actually has the most bounce. Just narrowest sole. Could use SS with more trail and trailing edge relief too.

If you had the SS what grind would you recommend to make it more versatile? half moon grind?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file