Anyone on here an Axe Player?

HoosierHacker89

Just recently picked an old hobby back up that i've been about 10 years away from. I have an old acustic guitar my grandpa gave me forever ago that ill give to my son/daughter later on down the road. I am looking to get an electric guitar. I was wondering if anyone on here played and might be able to get me some advice where to start my search.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO....First electrics should be of the classic variety. For Fender. I would go for a good used American Standard Strat/Tele or a new middle of the line Deluxe or Classic. A Nice used Gibson Les Paul Studio. A lot of this depends on your budget of course. for amps a functional 1x12 or 1x10 small combo by Peavy/fender/Vox /Line 6/. If you are not playing with anyone and just yourself you still want it to sound decent so I would stay away from those tiny practice amps. Those new Yamaha modeling amps are pretty damn awesome. If you can find a nice Fender Stereo Chorus in a pawn shop it would be worth a pick up.

I would prefer to have used premium instruments than new lower end models. Nicer guitars are just nicer and will respond well, stay in tune, and be easier to play.

I've been playing for 10 years. I bought a Mexican (Std) Strat, and have proceeded to rebuild every part of it. It pays off!

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Depends in your budget.

A USA strat/tele or Gibson Les Paul are worth the money... but they are a lot of money.

I've ho'ed a lot of guitars over the years and IMO Mexican fenders are pretty decent and affordable.

At the moment I've got a mixed bag:-

A blonde USA tele with neck humbucker (think Keith Richards)
Daphne Blue Mexican Strat (50's classic series)
Red Gibson 335 dot (hell of a lot of money)
Red Epiphone 345 ltd edition (very cheap, but this is my favourite at the moment)
Sunburst Epiphone EJ200 electro acoustic

The most important thing is to play them before you purchase. I once went out looking for a USA standard strat. Played the thing in the shop and something wasn't right about it. I ended up coming out with a 1990s artic white Japanese Squire Strat (silver series) for a quarter of the price.

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

[quote name='spazo' timestamp='1383189054' post='8081762']
I built an American deluxe plus strat out of parts. one of the most fun projects I've ever done and I'll never sell it. it was a good bit cheaper than buying it on eBay. I also have a dream guitar that I frankly don't play as much...Parker fly deluxe. tremendous axe, and I can fly on it. those are my babies
[/quote]

Where did you source the bridge?

I bought a Callaham for mine and it's almost as significant a tone change as replacement pickups.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I've been playing for around 15 or so years. I did the band and touring thing for a little while as well. I have some real nice guitars and some cheaper guitars. The thing is to find something that feels great and sounds good within your budget. Some of my cheaper guitars sound and feel better than some of my expensive guitars.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Avid player here. Attended Berklee College of Music for guitar performance. First step, like others have said, is budget. That said, you can get a great guitar for around $400. My first guitar was a Mexican made stratocaster. I still play it and love it to death. Figure out what type of music you want to play and who your influences are. Are you a stray guy? A les Paul guy?

Granted, you can play almost any style with any guitar (save for maybe a BC rich or anything with EMG pickups,) but some guitars are better suited to certain styles of playing.

If you're interested in a strat, generally the hierarchy (and often price) goes something like this

American made
Japanese made
Mexican made
Indonesian/anything with the squier name on it.

There's always exceptions like my Mexican strat that beats out some Japanese/American strats.

I also own a les Paul, multiple acoustics, a jazz archtop, and a few more.

Be careful, it's just like club ho'ing: you won't know when to stop. Have fun! PM me if you want to know anything specific.

I been playing for 3 years, and I have a Squire bullet strat, with a Fender Mustang 1 amp. The combo sounds great for the $200 that I played for them.

You can check out my playing right here:[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiritomb1231/videos"]http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiritomb1231/videos[/url]

Hope this helps!

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
Callaway Diablo Octane 15*
Callaway Diablo DRS 21* & 24*
Custom Turbo Power FBS 6-PW
Callaway Jaws CC 56 & 60
Axis1 Umbra

Have an American made Tele sitting in my 'music room' next to a Vox amp. Love the sound and look.

Really thought I was clicking on another Arthur Xtreme shaft thread. Have 5 of those as well and love the look and feel.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1383273852' post='8086818']
Have an American made Tele sitting in my 'music room' next to a Vox amp. Love the sound and look.

Really thought I was clicking on another Arthur Xtreme shaft thread. Have 5 of those as well and love the look and feel.
[/quote]

I had an American tele deluxe in Siena burst... God I loved that guitar. Had it or a few days before I noticed a nice gouge in the finish that someone at guitar center tried to cover up with clear. Honestly didn't notice it in the dark store. Got it home and was waxing it and noticed it then. Back to the store it went. It was for the best. Couldn't justify the 1700 I paid as a high school senior. That money went to ho'ing instead haha.

What kind of Vox? AC30?

CS,

The Vox is an AD15VT (Valvetronix). When I graduated from University (15 years ago) my mom bought me an acoustic guitar (a Canadian made Norman). It sat dormant until my Grandmother became ill and I made a promise that I would learn to play for her before she passed. Learned two songs (C,D,G,Em chords) and thankfully she didn't ask me to play anymore. I now jam for my son, wife and friends. My song list is much more extensive. Wish I would have had the stones to join a band when I was younger. Too shy at the time.

Love the sunburst colour, my tele is translucent red. Love the wood grain.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1383230983' post='8083302']
[quote name='spazo' timestamp='1383189054' post='8081762']
I built an American deluxe plus strat out of parts. one of the most fun projects I've ever done and I'll never sell it. it was a good bit cheaper than buying it on eBay. I also have a dream guitar that I frankly don't play as much...Parker fly deluxe. tremendous axe, and I can fly on it. those are my babies
[/quote]

Where did you source the bridge?

I bought a Callaham for mine and it's almost as significant a tone change as replacement pickups.
[/quote]

i got pretty much everything on ebay. it's not 100%--it's just enough custom that it's all my baby. e.g., i replaced the orignal rolling nut with one of the updated LSR versions from the later models with a retrofit kit. kept the schaller locking tuners as those are way better (imo) than the sperzels. the bridge was a tough one to find with the tremsetter but i got a good deal on it at the end of the day. the body was a steal as well--sort of a yellowburst into a pink center over ash. never seen another one like it. i got a completely ripped up maple neck (from an original '91 plus model) and smoothed it out a bit, then put a new polyurethane coat on it and replaced the frets. i did a pretty bad job since it was my first time, but it's close enough taht it still plays good some 8 or 9 years later. put a mint green 3-ply warmoth guard on it. the only thing that's not standard issue fender is the pickups. Evans. No one has ever heard of them, but the tonal range is amazing from neck to bridge. i wish i'd known more abotu electronics when i did it, though. i got an early 2000s electronics set that just feels rinky dink. it's an american set but it just doesn't have the heft that the early 90s sets had. if i ever got back into it, that's the first thing i'd replace. also, instead of the american standard neck plate, i just put a rectangle version of the 70s "F"-style on it.

it's a real sweet axe.

[quote name='Spiritomb' timestamp='1383270237' post='8086554']
I been playing for 3 years, and I have a Squire bullet strat, with a Fender Mustang 1 amp. The combo sounds great for the $200 that I played for them.

You can check out my playing right here:[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiritomb1231/videos"]http://www.youtube.c...tomb1231/videos[/url]

Hope this helps!
[/quote] it would be nice if youtube let mp3s upload. i have a ton of old stuff i'd love to have shared at some point, but it's all in .wav or .mp3

[quote name='spazo' timestamp='1383291727' post='8087354']

You can check out my playing right here:[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiritomb1231/videos"]http://www.youtube.c...tomb1231/videos[/url]

Hope this helps!
[/quote] it would be nice if youtube let mp3s upload. i have a ton of old stuff i'd love to have shared at some point, but it's all in .wav or .mp3
[/quote]

There are tons of sites that will do all the conversion for you in one step, for free. Just google something like "upload mp3 to youtube".

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1383292941' post='8087366']
[quote name='spazo' timestamp='1383291727' post='8087354']

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

There are tons of sites that will do all the conversion for you in one step, for free. Just google something like "upload mp3 to youtube".
[/quote] it's been awhile since i've tried. my last self-recording was 2009 or so.

I love the guitar. I used to play in a classic rock band. And most importantly, I was just as compulsive buying guitars and gear as golf clubs(called GAS, guitar or gear acquisition syndrome). You can just buy more clubs because they are cheaper. I knew that I was sick when I was just delivered a new PRS Custom 22 and the first thing that I did was to think about what to buy next. I like both acoustic and electric. Some of my acoustics: Collings HD2, Martin Eric Clapton 00028 and a custom Bolin dreadnaught. Some electrics: Suhr strat, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES335, Bolin classic.

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Spirit,

Thank you for sharing the link. You've got some skills young man. That golf video is so random. Where are you hitting?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1383358576' post='8090984']

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Spirit,

Thank you for sharing the link. You've got some skills young man. That golf video is so random. Where are you hitting?
[/quote]

Thanks Peanuts! I'm hitting in my front yard, I live a gated complex.

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
Callaway Diablo Octane 15*
Callaway Diablo DRS 21* & 24*
Custom Turbo Power FBS 6-PW
Callaway Jaws CC 56 & 60
Axis1 Umbra

• 2 weeks later...

I have no guitar playing experience but want to mess around and hopefully learn something with Rocksmith.

I don't think I'll be the next Joe Satriani, but he is my favorite guitarist.

Knowing this would you recommend I buy a new package

http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-Electric-Frontman-Sunburst/dp/B008F4URTM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or go to guitar center and buy something they recommend?

[quote name='kwijyboy' timestamp='1384384349' post='8145168']
I have no guitar playing experience but want to mess around and hopefully learn something with Rocksmith.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-Electric-Frontman-Sunburst/dp/B008F4URTM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/url]

[/quote]

A set like that is not very high quality, but its certainly something that you could learn on. They sell those same fender and gibson and other sets at Guitar Center as well, so you should go down there and hold and strum a few and see if anything sticks out to you.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-Electric-Frontman-Sunburst/dp/B008F4URTM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER[/url]

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the package. Many begin with Squire's. My first guitar came from a small local shop and was lightly used. You may be able to score a quality used product at an attractive price. There are people who purchase an axe, find that their fingers hurt, and attempt to unload them.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[/quote]

I'd try and stick with local stores that might be able to give you a bit better advice than a Guitar Center, where they churn out new employees hourly.

If you can hold on a bit longer, try waiting until just after Christmas. You can usually find some good deals right after the holiday rush on great quality used gear that's just been traded in. I picked up a very nice Epi Les Paul a few years back that was essentially brand new, but $100 less than a new model. But definitely pick up a few guitars on your own. Even if you have no experience playing, you'll pick up a guitar that just feels [b]right[/b] to you.

[color=#282828][size=3][b]kwijyboy [/b][/size][/color]Rocksmith 2014 is awesome. I had the older version, and the new one is far and away better. They've changed the focus from being a game on which you could learn, to a learning tool with an easy and fun interface. You should be able to learn a lot with it.

On the new (to you) guitar front, I highly recommend buying used. You can find a great quality used guitar for a great savings over buying new. Having a quality instrument will benefit you more than a cheap piece that doesn't stay in tune and has poor build quality. With Rocksmith, you don't need an amp, you can use your TV or Home audio system instead. The amp you get in most starter packs won't be much better (If at all) than that. If you do want an amp, quite a few come and go daily at GC and on CL. A tip for shopping used at GC. Their price tags have date codes for when they took in the item. The longer things sit in their store, the more willing they are to deal. Ask for a better price, regardless. You can look on their used website and see what other similar items are priced at, sometimes backing up your discount request.

I definitely second the advice for going and holding the guitars to see what feels good to you. Even if you don't know what to do with it, some will just feel better than others. If you don't have a friend to go with you that plays, the employees themselves will be happy to play something for you so you can hear how it sounds.

Good Luck and enjoy.

• 3 months later...

After reading the Metal Heads Unite thread I'd thought I'd revive this thread. As much as I love metal, I'm a blues/classic rock guy (think Freddie king, bb king, clapton, Zep, Free, Sabbath) at heart so here's me dicking around to a blues backing track on my Epiphone ES 345 through a Marshall amp (I get a bit lost as it was done on the first take!)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A6JtdOXmzDXeL

Titleist 905R - 10.5°
Titleist 904f - 17°/22°
Mizuno MP32 - 4-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 50°/54°/60°
Wilson Staff 8882

• 5 years later...

I find it really interesting how life/hobbies tend to come full circle. I picked up playing over the winter of 2018, and it has been a blast. This year has been the most progress I've made to date. I have also collected a few guitars this winter that have been awesome

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Studio 2016 model in white

Jackson Dinky Dk2 1998 model Japanese made

Epiphone ft 145 circa 1971-1975 as mentioned above.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig