2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Golf Swing Shirt -interesting review by Rick Shiels in UK !!!

tgss

We are posting this as a thread for the primary reason of simply asking "do you really CARE how you LOOK while you are practicing on the range IF you believe that in spite of how you LOOK you may be improving ? Moreover, does your EGO or self image stand in the way of you getting better as a

golfer ?

We value your thoughts and comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ErgtCYxK0&feature=youtu.be

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1383507338' post='8096558']
[attachment=1935304:BH-takeaway.jpg]
1st Point is - nearly everyone references Ben Hogan when talking about "connection".
2nd Point is - if you put Ben Hogan in this shirt there would never have been a Ben Hogan.
[/quote]

I think this would qualify as trying to be connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32x_G5hdxDM

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

Honestly, some will not wear it at the range because of the look. Me, I would and will and need to do so more.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Ohhh goody goody lets start a real good Hogan debate and move it to the Hogan Graveyard Forum.
My humble thoughts.......
yes "connection" is a good thing because your arms don't get lost.
Is it easy to misinterpret things you see on video? Yes, I do it every day.
Was the other swing model in the early 1950's that of Byron Nelson - drag back hands, chicken wing right elbow, very high arm lift, huge legs action etc.
i think Hogan was demonstrating a very different idea to the average person to help them overcome the theory at the time.
Why? Because, very simply, if you look at Hogan's address position his elbows are nowhere near his hips, he has high and quite wide hands, his right arm stays quite straight at the start of the back swing, all of this is not locking the elbows in.
Seems to me if you execute a proper turn you actually can't get your arms away from your body, as long as your hands start in the right place.
In a shirt thing like that, your hands are forced to be low and close to your body (Oh Tiger Tiger you silly boy), from there your arms will separate from your body automatically unless artificially restrained, but you will be forced to swing more inverted and have to try some sort of reconnection trick.
We all think Moe Norman was a strange oddity, but you can see that he never struggled to keep "connected" and never struggled to have the club shaft on plane.
Maybe, just maybe, Hogan's swing was a lot more like Moe Norman's than we think.

to jwfgolfpro (humbly).
great action, love it and wish i could do it.
feel versus real?
in that vid you have a lovely wide take-away, right elbow nowhere near your right hip, right arm nice and straight.
Wearing that shirt you would have forced you to snatch the club back under and inside.
Your coming into impact position is great to, but your left elbow is NOWHERE near your left ribcage, there is miles of space there, just like Hogan, i could almost fit a basketball in the space between your arms.
I think what you have is a correct turn with hands and arms staying wide back and through.
Am I allowed to say that that shirt thing will ruin a lot of golfers for a long time?
Graeme McDowell endorses it, and i see Gmac in a tournament doing a practice swing trying to get his arms and hands to drop down before any forward shoulder rotation, that shirt will give you this exact same problem.

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1383514358' post='8096966']
to jwfgolfpro (humbly).
feel versus real?
in that vid you have a lovely wide take-away, right elbow nowhere near your right hip, right arm nice and straight.
Wearing that shirt you would have forced you to snatch the club back under and inside.
Your coming into impact position is great to, but your left elbow is NOWHERE near your left ribcage, there is miles of space there, just like Hogan, i could almost fit a basketball in the space between your arms.
I think what you have is a correct turn with hands and arms staying wide back and through.
Am I allowed to say that that shirt thing will ruin a lot of golfers for a long time?
Graeme McDowell endorses it, and i see Gmac in a tournament doing a practice swing trying to get his arms and hands to drop down before any forward shoulder rotation, that shirt will give you this exact same problem.
[/quote]

Not me in the video was just pointing out what Mr Hogan was saying about his elbows and response to
[color=#282828]"1st Point is - nearly everyone references Ben Hogan when talking about "connection"."[/color]

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1383514358' post='8096966']
to jwfgolfpro (humbly).
feel versus real?
[/quote]

Perhaps you may want to try the Golf Swing Shirt (borrow one) before you say it will "ruin someone for a long time ".
It's only fair and you gain more credibility in your statements.[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1383507338' post='8096558']
1st Point is - nearly everyone references Ben Hogan when talking about "connection".
2nd Point is - if you put Ben Hogan in this shirt there would never have been a Ben Hogan.
[/quote]

Actually it's Padraig Harrington who endorses it and over 20 Web.Com players. not Graeme McDowell. All of this is on our website www.golfswingshirt.com.
Your "2nd point..if you put Ben Hogan in this shirt there would never be a Ben Hogan " Why do you believe that! In his Five fundamentals on page 49 he had his illustrator draw rubber bands around his arms which looks EXACTLY like the "trunk" sleeve on the Golf Swing Shirt. Hogan wanted the two arms to remain close to each other throughout the swing…period. Also , when Jimmy Ballard (who coined the phrase "connection") tested The Golf Swing Shirt
he said that "Hogan and Sam Byrd would love the dynamics and concept of The Golf Swing Shirt ". Jimmy spent time with both Hogan and Byrd and so he is more qualified than most people to make this statement.

I am not sure how to do so or I would. Any directions on how one does such a thing?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The Golf Swing Shirt forms part of my weekly practise routine and it's the best training aid I've ever used.With respect to Pinsplitter it seems clear that he's never tried the shirt so should probably not pass supposition and comment about it until such a time as he's had chance to demo it.It's maybe not going to be right for everyone but I'm sold on it and invite people to watch my striking and ball flight while wearing it….seeing's believing as they say.

Whatever works.

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1383521625' post='8097474']
I am not sure how to do so or I would. Any directions on how one does such a thing?
[/quote]

easy peasy...click on www.golfswingshirt.com and click on the home page where it says "Play With Padraig".
it will give you a sign in sheet and way to upload a video of your self.
Cheers,
Ray

[quote name='vman' timestamp='1383590654' post='8100610']
The Golf Swing Shirt forms part of my weekly practise routine and it's the best training aid I've ever used.With respect to Pinsplitter it seems clear that he's never tried the shirt so should probably not pass supposition and comment about it until such a time as he's had chance to demo it.It's maybe not going to be right for everyone but I'm sold on it and invite people to watch my striking and ball flight while wearing it….seeing's believing as they say.
[/quote]
Thanks !!!

[quote name='jwfgolfpro' timestamp='1383508583' post='8096638']
[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1383507338' post='8096558']
[/quote]

I think this would qualify as trying to be connected.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32x_G5hdxDM[/media]

JWF
[/quote]

You have a great looking golf swing ! Keep up the good work and thanks for the video !

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1383512456' post='8096844']
Ohhh goody goody lets start a real good Hogan debate and move it to the Hogan Graveyard Forum.
My humble thoughts.......
yes "connection" is a good thing because your arms don't get lost.
Is it easy to misinterpret things you see on video? Yes, I do it every day.
Was the other swing model in the early 1950's that of Byron Nelson - drag back hands, chicken wing right elbow, very high arm lift, huge legs action etc.
i think Hogan was demonstrating a very different idea to the average person to help them overcome the theory at the time.
Why? Because, very simply, if you look at Hogan's address position his elbows are nowhere near his hips, he has high and quite wide hands, his right arm stays quite straight at the start of the back swing, all of this is not locking the elbows in.
Seems to me if you execute a proper turn you actually can't get your arms away from your body, as long as your hands start in the right place.
In a shirt thing like that, your hands are forced to be low and close to your body (Oh Tiger Tiger you silly boy), from there your arms will separate from your body automatically unless artificially restrained, but you will be forced to swing more inverted and have to try some sort of reconnection trick.
We all think Moe Norman was a strange oddity, but you can see that he never struggled to keep "connected" and never struggled to have the club shaft on plane.
Maybe, just maybe, Hogan's swing was a lot more like Moe Norman's than we think.
[/quote]

Ben Hogan swing "more like Moe Normans" ...seriously ? Not even close but post still photos of each swing to prove your point.

You have a thread dedicated to the product. I don't see Martin Chuck coming up with ways to turn a review or other information which is part of the response to the overall product into a new thread. I would think this marketing research question (a pretty obvious one that I'm sure you have already evaluated thoroughly) fits just fine in your product thread.

Good luck with the product.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1383608886' post='8102044']
You have a thread dedicated to the product. I don't see Martin Chuck coming up with ways to turn a review or other information which is part of the response to the overall product into a new thread. I would think this marketing research question (a pretty obvious one that I'm sure you have already evaluated thoroughly) fits just fine in your product thread.

[/quote]

As a paid sponsor on Golf WRX we are entitled to engage our audience as we deem appropriate and meaningful. We will continue to ask probing questions via threads related to the game of golf and our product,. If this does not suit you then please skip over anything having to do with the our product and no harm, no foul. We try to keep our interactions recent, fresh and
only deal with the dynamics of the golf swing and instruction.. We will post nothing about wearing cologne on the golf course
or a rant about getting sandbagged.

The original post and the video by Rick Shiels speaks to a larger issue which is lost on some people that care to ignore the question and post something that is off topic, false, condescending and intentionally antagonistic.

The issue and OP has more to do with vanity,self image and letting the aforementioned get in the way of improvement.We have
had the pleasure of working with thousands of golfers at demo days throughout the USA and Europe . It still shocks us when
20% of golfers that we meet cockily shun our pros by saying "I don't want to look silly " and then proceed to hack,shank,top,hook etc for their range session. Rick Shiels immediately launches into this by saying "if you don't mind looking ridiculous" yet I think he would agree that not doing something proactive and perhaps radical about your golf swing to get better is equally ridiculous. Life is to short to play bad golf.and thank God for the 80% with open minds.
Cheers,
Ray. . .

[quote name='The Golf Swing Shirt' timestamp='1383613878' post='8102480']
[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1383608886' post='8102044']

[/quote]

As a paid sponsor on Golf WRX we are entitled to engage our audience as we deem appropriate and meaningful. We will continue to ask probing questions via threads related to the game of golf and our product,. If this does not suit you then please skip over anything having to do with the our product and no harm, no foul. We try to keep our interactions recent, fresh and
only deal with the dynamics of the golf swing and instruction.. We will post nothing about wearing cologne on the golf course
or a rant about getting sandbagged.

The original post and the video by Rick Shiels speaks to a larger issue which is lost on some people that care to ignore the question and post something that is off topic, false, condescending and intentionally antagonistic.

The issue and OP has more to do with vanity,self image and letting the aforementioned get in the way of improvement.We have
had the pleasure of working with thousands of golfers at demo days throughout the USA and Europe . It still shocks us when
20% of golfers that we meet cockily shun our pros by saying "I don't want to look silly " and then proceed to hack,shank,top,hook etc for their range session. Rick Shiels immediately launches into this by saying "if you don't mind looking ridiculous" yet I think he would agree that not doing something proactive and perhaps radical about your golf swing to get better is equally ridiculous. Life is to short to play bad golf.and thank God for the 80% with open minds.
Cheers,
Ray. . .
[/quote]

My post was polite and succinct, not "off topic, false, condescending and intentionally antagonistic."

Your man Schiels did a full review last December, another in July. This was was just put out there by him to advertise his site and the big sale he is having on his site of the shirt right now. The question of whether someone may look silly using one wasn't just posed for the first time yesterday, it's thoroughly discussed in your thread and I'm sure has always been one of the main topics of discussion. Not something new or a "larger issue".

Glad you sponsor the site, obviously you want to sell your product. It works for some, great. But, if you can't handle fair observations about your use of the privilege (not entitlement), perhaps a forum setting isn't the best marketing strategy.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1383625362' post='8103476']

Glad you sponsor the site, obviously you want to sell your product. If you can't handle fair observations about your use of the privilege (not entitlement), perhaps a forum setting isn't the best marketing strategy.
[/quote]

+1

OP, C'Mon man! We can tell you are trying to advertise. I'm not saying that I'm against it. I'm just saying that it's obvious you are trying to stir up discussion about your product (which is a way of advertising).

There were some perfectly polite responses to this thread that were fair game. Swing shirt responds in an over the top fashion and apparently manages gets all of them deleted?

Not kosher. This thread is duplicative and the video is a promo for the guy selling shirts. There were no forum rule violations, just a thin skinned advertiser.

TGSS is a paid sponsor on GolfWRX and has the option to open topics in furtherance of their business.

Our Sponsors allow GolfWRX to provide these forums. We ask that you be mindful of this rule when posting:

[quote]4.3. Please respect sponsors. They provide critical the financial support that allows the site to remain viable.[color=#444444]Any threads/posts of these types will be deleted.[/color][/quote]

Thanks, carry on. :)

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

And sponsors should reciprocate respectfully. I'm a free market guy, hope a million get sold if a million golfers want them, no issue there at all.

I'd sell the thing with a classic clip featuring Violet Bick, looking stunning, in It's a Wonderful Life: "I only wear this when I don't care how I look." Or Anna Rawson: "Nothing comes between me and my golf swing shirt." No charge. ;-)