BestGrips Genuine Leather Golf Grips

BestGrips

BestGrips (www.bestgrips.com) has been involved with leather golf grips for over decade (October 2003). We make all of our grips by hand in Conroe, Texas and use a variety of specialty genuine leathers. Genuine leather means cowhide (the term leather can be used to describe almost any material, natural, or man-made) and we are proud to only use genuine leather or exotics in our line up!

BestGrips offers a variety of options when it comes to grip materials, but our standards are always the go to grip. In club grips we make the classic (smooth), gridiron (same leather used by pro football), the microperf (perforated), and the hardcourt (same leather used for basketballs). In putter grips we offer all of the previously mentioned grips, plus the major leaguer (same leather used in baseball gloves).

The classic and microperf models are treated with ProTac, which when wet, causes the grip to get tacky and really shine. The other grips all posses unique combatants to moisture. The gridiron's pebble grain process makes it difficult for the water to soak in and the major leaguer's oiled nature makes it naturally water resistant.

BestGrips is about two things: Performance and Customization. The ProTac and other natural defenses make BestGrips staunchly competitive with any other grips on the market. However, where they really shine is the customization options. BestGrips offers an unparalleled depth and ease of customization. For starters, there are no minimum orders! All of the grips can be custom stitched with one of fourteen colors. The non-gridiron/hardcourt grips can be customized with embossing dies (initials, stock logos, or a custom logo can be machined), and as of today we offer custom engraving.

Custom engraving allows for us to engrave 300-600 dpi images into the grips. The images are permanent! Almost any design can be engraved, making the process almost limitless. There is no logo set-up fee and there is only a nominal upcharge to engrave the grips.

I'm Albert, President of BestGrips.com, and would like to introduce myself to golfwrx. I've been looking forward to joining for a very long time and look forward to getting to know everyone here. Thanks!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can vouch for these guys, I have their grips on several/all of my putters. Hands down the best feeling grip I have ever used.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='BestGrips' timestamp='1383778548' post='8112138']
[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1383777970' post='8112090']
I can vouch for these guys, I have their grips on several/all of my putters. Hands down the best feeling grip I have ever used.
[/quote]y give them a good look

Great to see you here! The last time we saw you, did you see our laser engraver?
[/quote]
you had just got it, I will be coming by next week I am in the process of restoring a complete set of vintage clubs, I am thinking the tan grid iron may give them a good look. as soon as I finish shafting them up and finish the whipping on the woods I will give you a call to come by.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1383781430' post='8112358']
[quote name='BestGrips' timestamp='1383778548' post='8112138']
[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1383777970' post='8112090']
[/quote]y give them a good look

Great to see you here! The last time we saw you, did you see our laser engraver?
[/quote]
you had just got it, I will be coming by next week I am in the process of restoring a complete set of vintage clubs, I am thinking the tan grid iron may give them a good look. as soon as I finish shafting them up and finish the whipping on the woods I will give you a call to come by.
[/quote]

Sounds great! Look forward to it!

I have been looking at your website for some time now trying to find the added push I need to make the purchase. Supporting this website might be it.

Which grip would you recommend for someone that lives in NC? Lots of days that get hot and muggy.

Why do you say the Microperf is made for low handicappers?

Thanks and welcome

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

[quote name='TMelectric' timestamp='1383782678' post='8112454']
I have been looking at your website for some time now trying to find the added push I need to make the purchase. Supporting this website might be it.

Which grip would you recommend for someone that lives in NC? Lots of days that get hot and muggy.

Why do you say the Microperf is made for low handicappers?

Thanks and welcome
[/quote]

Joining golfwrx has been a goal for me since I started running the show in '10. I'm really proud to have finally "made it" here.

I always say the microperf is designed for low cappers because it is designed for to have that extra kick of tack. So when you are in the thick of competition, and your hands get a little sweaty, you don't have to worry about the grip getting slick. Now, this obviously applies to anyone who plays a lot of golf, haha.

I play in humid Houston, Texas. When it comes to rain or humidity, my club grip of choice is the microperf.

Here are some pics of the new carbon fiber grips:

9907751115_d00f4ffb8b.jpg

(in the back you will see two Rattlesnake grips)

10708228815_45273c15c8.jpg

Why are these so special? They are insanely easy to clean! Most white leather stains (if dyed) or flakes (if painted), this does neither! In fact, if it gets dirty, you just wipe off the dirt with some water and a towel.

• 1 month later...

Why are these so special? They are insanely easy to clean! Most white leather stains (if dyed) or flakes (if painted), this does neither! In fact, if it gets dirty, you just wipe off the dirt with some water and a towel.

Welcome! Do you plan on coming out with a wrap version for woods and irons? Thanks!

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

I don't see any oversize options on you website. Typically, leather grip have a limit on how much they can be built up. They get really hard too. Do you have any oversize options?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Do you plan on coming out with a wrap version for woods and irons? Thanks!

No. The unfortunate problem with the wrapped grip is it loses tention and the wraps eventually peel. I want our grips to have the absolutely best chance of lasting as long as they possibly can. You shouldn't have to change grips every 3 months. The stitched has more longevity than the wrap.

I don't see any oversize options on you website. Typically, leather grip have a limit on how much they can be built up. They get really hard too. Do you have any oversize options?

BT

We do! The oversized club grip is the first of its kind. Its about the same size as +8 or 9 wraps and weighs only a few grams more than our standard grips (under 60g)!

While I really like the feel of your grips I have just removed them all due to the fact that your "standard" size grips are .045-.050 larger then the normal standard industry size of .900 measured 2 inches down from the top of the grip. I measured 4 or 5 of the installed grips and they were all the same. Four inches down they are .033 to .025 larger compared to New Decade, Tour Velvet etc. installed on the same clubs. These measurements correspond roughly to a grip size somewhere between 1/32nd to 1/16th oversize.

I would also note the measurement was done with a high end vernier caliper, side to side, so the slight raising of the stitched part was not involved in the diameter measured.

Do you have any plans to produce a grip size that is actually a industry standard regular size or even 1/64th undersize?

I can vouch for their putter grips, I have one and love it. The only issue I have had is that the rubber end has started to peel back. Seems like this is possibly due to going in and out of the bag, however I never had this issue with my last iomic grip. Otherwise I think they are a great product and it is tough to beat the feel you get with them.

I'm just outside of Houston. Do you have a shop to come to, or are they website order only? I'd love to come visit, and get some leather grips! The best grips I ever used were leather.

A question about the "pro tack" - does it leave a residue on your hands? My previous leather grips were Gripmaster (got too good of a deal to pass up on a whole bunch of them), and while I loved the feel and the tackiness (which is unparallelled with ANY rubber grip), they tore the skin on my index finger and left a black residue that got into the cracks and stained. It was a couple of weeks after I quit using them that it finally went away, and I wash my hands multiple times a day. On top of that, I was shredding gloves. Even if I didnt wear a hole in them, the tack agent they used (which I can only guess is akin to pine tar) would get into the gloves and they would turn black and get stiff. A glove wouldnt last me more than a couple of weeks before it was unusable.

[quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1389274944' post='8427303']
While I really like the feel of your grips I have just removed them all due to the fact that your "standard" size grips are .045-.050 larger then the normal standard industry size of .900 measured 2 inches down from the top of the grip. I measured 4 or 5 of the installed grips and they were all the same. Four inches down they are .033 to .025 larger compared to New Decade, Tour Velvet etc. installed on the same clubs. These measurements correspond roughly to a grip size somewhere between 1/32nd to 1/16th oversize.

I would also note the measurement was done with a high end vernier caliper, side to side, so the slight raising of the stitched part was not involved in the diameter measured.

Do you have any plans to produce a grip size that is actually a industry standard regular size or even 1/64th undersize?
[/quote]

[color=#500050]Yes indeed all of our grips are slightly oversized. Have you read about our ProTaper on the website ([/color][url="http://bestgrips.com/best-grips-difference/best-golf-grips/protaper/"]http://bestgrips.com...grips/protaper/[/url][color=#500050])?[/color]

[size=4]We would be glad to make you a custom set of smaller grips; we often do this for our lady friends. [/size]

However, we do not have any plans to make a smaller grip. 99% of all retail golf clubs sold in the USA ship with the 58R grip which is slightly oversized from the mens standard 60 grip. BTW, this was started by callaway when they introduced the first big bertha.

[color=#500050]When we were doing our research on grips we found that tour players and top amateurs took the taper out of a standard rubber grip. This makes the grip slightly larger, more so under the dominant hand, and takes the right side of the fairway out. We found the average number of wraps under the dominant hand to be 3.[/color]

[color=#500050][size=3][size=4]With that said, the ProTaper and our grips are not for everyone; they are most certainly a "players' grip". [/size][/size][/color]

[color="#500050"]BTW, we have been manufacturing genuine leather grips in the USA since 2008 and have spent a decade selling them. I take all things Best Grips very personal (it's my life/baby) so comparing our hand made in the USA genuine leather grips to rubber grips burped out of a machine in an overseas sweatshop, is disingenuous and slightly offensive (no hard feelings).[/color]

[color=#500050][size=3][size=4]regards,[/size][/size][/color]
[color=#500050][size=3][size=4]Albert and BestGrips (formerly Sarg1948)[/size][/size][/color]

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1389286914' post='8428413']
I'm just outside of Houston. Do you have a shop to come to, or are they website order only? I'd love to come visit, and get some leather grips! The best grips I ever used were leather.

A question about the "pro tack" - does it leave a residue on your hands? My previous leather grips were Gripmaster (got too good of a deal to pass up on a whole bunch of them), and while I loved the feel and the tackiness (which is unparallelled with ANY rubber grip), they tore the skin on my index finger and left a black residue that got into the cracks and stained. It was a couple of weeks after I quit using them that it finally went away, and I wash my hands multiple times a day. On top of that, I was shredding gloves. Even if I didnt wear a hole in them, the tack agent they used (which I can only guess is akin to pine tar) would get into the gloves and they would turn black and get stiff. A glove wouldnt last me more than a couple of weeks before it was unusable.
[/quote]

[size=4]BestGrips was gripmaster usa from 2003 until 2008.

We are very familiar with the gripmaster grips. Yes, the gm tack system was pine tar based and it is subject to oxidation which will cause hardening, chalking and discoloration. This is caused by the naturally occurring impurities in pine tar.

The Best Grips tack system (ProTac) is pinene based not pine tar based. Why is this important? The pinene polymer is the ingredient in pine tar which creates the tackiness, but it is a synthetic polymer (100% pure). Because of this it will not oxidize, harden, chalk or bleed.

To keep leather dye from bleeding the dye must be set. This is done chemically and, while not expensive, it is common to skip this step in the process.

All of Best Grips grips are color set, however, this will not prevent all discoloration from wear of the leather (this is just a natural occurrence).

I have used our grips since 2008 and frequently use a glove which will last for months or until perspiration kills them (Houston humidity)!

Yes, we are in the Houston area (Conroe) and always welcome visitors. Just be warned: we love to BS. You may wind up staying longer than anticipated. [/size]

[size=4]Albert[/size]

if I'd known I would have stopped by when I was over in Houston for some oilfield training...

I've got one of your micro perfs on my 56 deg wedge ( rest of clubs have grip master wraps ) and do like the reduced taper. I'm prone to excessive hands action and flipping and found the larger right hand feel has made it helpful to get quieter hands.

Is there an extra tacky option or all micro perfs now tacky as standard? Mine is ok, and I play with no glove in hot, humid Thailand... So always like the good leather tackiness.

I'll be putting in another order for a couple for my driver and putters... I Grateful that you ship internationally without any issue or hassle, surprising how some companies make it such an ordeal.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

[quote name='BestGrips' timestamp='1389307125' post='8430757']

[/quote]

[color=#500050]BTW, we have been manufacturing genuine leather grips in the USA since 2008 and have spent a decade selling them. I take all things Best Grips very personal (it's my life/baby) so comparing our hand made in the USA genuine leather grips to rubber grips burped out of a machine in an overseas sweatshop, is disingenuous and slightly offensive (no hard feelings).[/color]

[color=#500050][size=3][size=4]Albert and BestGrips (formerly Sarg1948)[/size][/size][/color]

[
[/quote]

Actually what is disingenuous is selling grips as standard size which are not. Seems those overseas grips you disparage are capable of producing the size they say they are. Your grips are not slightly oversize they are oversize period, especially for the upper hand.

You can run your business however you want but truth in advertising should be a given. A long winded explanation about why you don't follow industry standards should be on your website not given as a justification for mis-characterizing the size of your products.

[size=4]BestGrips was gripmaster usa from 2003 until 2008.

We are very familiar with the gripmaster grips. Yes, the gm tack system was pine tar based and it is subject to oxidation which will cause hardening, chalking and discoloration. This is caused by the naturally occurring impurities in pine tar.

The Best Grips tack system (ProTac) is pinene based not pine tar based. Why is this important? The pinene polymer is the ingredient in pine tar which creates the tackiness, but it is a synthetic polymer (100% pure). Because of this it will not oxidize, harden, chalk or bleed.

To keep leather dye from bleeding the dye must be set. This is done chemically and, while not expensive, it is common to skip this step in the process.

All of Best Grips grips are color set, however, this will not prevent all discoloration from wear of the leather (this is just a natural occurrence).

I have used our grips since 2008 and frequently use a glove which will last for months or until perspiration kills them (Houston humidity)!

Yes, we are in the Houston area (Conroe) and always welcome visitors. Just be warned: we love to BS. You may wind up staying longer than anticipated. [/size]

[size=4]Albert[/size]
[/quote]

I did not know that about y'all being GM. Where abouts are y'all in Conroe? I lived there for a few months (granted it was 14 years ago) and am pretty familiar with the area.

My wife has told me that I will talk to a brick wall, so it should be a good conversation.

[quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1389317818' post='8431909']

[/quote]

[color=#500050]BTW, we have been manufacturing genuine leather grips in the USA since 2008 and have spent a decade selling them. I take all things Best Grips very personal (it's my life/baby) so comparing our hand made in the USA genuine leather grips to rubber grips burped out of a machine in an overseas sweatshop, is disingenuous and slightly offensive (no hard feelings).[/color]

[
[/quote]

Actually what is disingenuous is selling grips as standard size which are not. Seems those overseas grips you disparage are capable of producing the size they say they are. Your grips are not slightly oversize they are oversize period, especially for the upper hand.

You can run your business however you want but truth in advertising should be a given. A long winded explanation about why you don't follow industry standards should be on your website not given as a justification for mis-characterizing the size of your products.
[/quote]This opinion comes from playing the game for 46+ years(I am 53yo), and that is that there are very few things on the golf equipment side that could be considered "standard." This is one of the issues and potential pitfalls to buying equipment through the computer. And with most companies it would end here.

Tough sh!t-

Lesson learned-

It does not have to be that way with Albert & Best Grips.

If you brought a product that was unsatisfactory to you, as you say these grips are and this would seem to be supported by your removing them, why would you not contact Albert to discuss your issues and try to come to a mutually beneficial outcome?

Having my own business for 25+ years, I understand that one cannot please everyone, Nomatter how hard that they try. However what one can do, and I have known Albert for some time and can assure anyone who has not delt with him is that he is one of the most sincere, honest and empathetic individuals that I have met in the business world.

And I was stunned when I found out his age.

The young people that I have met in the business world, both as a graduate school adjunct and through my own business dealings, seem to march to a different drummer.

Not Albert.

He is Old School-

Plain and simple-

At first, I thought there was no way someone could have his thoughts, beliefs and values and have been in the business world that long. A lot of individuals get this "knocked" our of them.

My only hope, and this is to you Albert-

Please do not let the years, people and your experiences change you-

It will be hard work, much harder than any grip or shoe that you will ever make, and those grips and shoes can always be duplicated-

Your sincerity, empathy and kindness cannot!

He has been such a pleasure to work with and his grips and putter & driver shoes(covers) are a bonus. My point in posting this is not to rave about his product, as there are enough people out there to do that.

My only purpose is to tell a few of those individuals that are on the fence or who are thinking of ordering from Albert, you will be extremely happy and satisfied.

And if you should get a product or products that are not satisfactory, pick up the telephone.

Call Albert.

And I promise you that the Man will listen, the Man will care, and the Man will do everything in his power to see that you are satisfied with the outcome.

And whether ya like his products or not is besides the point, though his grips and shoes are the finest that I have, and I have a few, lol.

Take a look in your bag.

Seriously, take a look-

How many products in it can you call the CEO/Owner of the company to discuss any issues, questions or suggestions that you might have?

How many?

And how many actually care what you think?

I can assure that Albert does.

Instead if saying nothing to him, and not giving him the opportunity to correct the situation, and jumping him in some forum thread, do what's become another dying art with the growth of technology-

Pick up the phone and call him-

Introduce yourself-

And talk to the man-

Not only will he take care of your equipment issue, you will have made a true friend.

And that's even rarer in today's business world!

Thanx for reading

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1389319414' post='8432083']
BestGrips was gripmaster usa from 2003 until 2008.

Yes, we are in the Houston area (Conroe) and always welcome visitors. Just be warned: we love to BS. You may wind up staying longer than anticipated.

Albert
[/quote]

I did not know that about y'all being GM. Where abouts are y'all in Conroe? I lived there for a few months (granted it was 14 years ago) and am pretty familiar with the area.

My wife has told me that I will talk to a brick wall, so it should be a good conversation.
[/quote]

If you know Conroe, we are located off Longmire. If you really really really know Conroe, we are located right on "the dip." Come by anytime, just call ahead. I'm prone to close up and get a little practice or 18 in.

• 2 months later...

If you don't follow me on Instagram or the Twitter (seriously, why don't you?), you missed these gems. These are some Patchwork Protos made from some exotic scraps. There is a multitude of exotics used ranging from lizard to alligator. While this is not an indication of things to come, they represent some cool stuff you don't (and never will) see from anyone else.

These are... dare I say... #PutterGripPorn?

• 2 months later...

How should I get the grip to be tacky? I just bought a putter that has a best grip leather grip on it and it was a little bit slippery. Any advice?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1402759560' post='9494557']
How should I get the grip to be tacky? I just bought a putter that has a best grip leather grip on it and it was a little bit slippery. Any advice?
[/quote]

depends on the model. Send me an email at [email protected] and I will do the best I can!

• 4 weeks later...

bestgrips, it would cost 36 bucks to ship to canada for 3 grips, it should cost 15, is their a cheaper way 86 bucks for 3 grips is tough , or have you considered selling them in canada, thanks TIM

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite