***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

Comments

• timbodtctimbodtc Members  56WRX Points: 75Handicap: 10Posts: 56 Bunkers

Ebay is for sure. Also hit up Goodwills, Thrift stores, etc. May end up just finding 1 or 2 then going to ebay for the others. For instance I picked up an Adams MB2 6&8 in some clubs on offer up. Found a CMB 4 iron on ebay and then a MB2 PW on here. Shafts aren't to big a deal to me. Came across a guy on craigslist bout a year ago that bought out an old golf shop of their pulled shafts. He was tired of selling on ebay and looking to unload them. Got probably 200 shafts for $20. Lots of S300 and Project x 6.0's which are right in my wheel house. If you cant tell part of the fun for me is the hunt!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members  2167WRX Points: 371Handicap: 1.3Posts: 2,167 Platinum Tees

So this bag has been put together, for the most part:

The 2wood is a TEE e8 beta at 12 degrees

Nickent Genex 3dx hybrid at 20 degrees

Mizuno MP-60 5i @ 30 degrees

Mizuno MP-32 8i @ 40 degrees

Mizuno MP-67 PW @ 50 degrees

Nike Engage Toe Sweep @ 58 degrees

Yes Sophia putter

The TEE has an Aldila Rogue and the rest of the clubs have Nippon Super Peening Blues in them. I still want to do some special 1971 ferrules and Best Grips, but with the way things are now, frivolous expenditures just aren't in the cards. Once that time arrives however, I'll clean everything up, weigh the heads and get them all just right. This all is in a Callaway Hyperlite Zero bag. I carry 3 balls, some divot mix, water, a very basic GPS with only front/middle/back, a bluetooth speaker and an extra battery to charge the speaker/cell phone. A couple of tees to fix pitch marks and use on the odd tee shot where height is needed.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy!

Posted:
    Mavrik SZ 9.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue M•AX
    Nickent Genex 3DX 18.5° w/VS Proto
    X Forged UT 22° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 6-A w/PX
    X Forged Jaws 56, 60, 64 w/PX
    TP Mills Workshop III
    171831.png
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs Members  2179WRX Points: 181Handicap: 1.8Posts: 2,179 Platinum Tees

9 is the perfect combo--gives you multiple options

Posted:
    Ping Sunday Bag
    9 Clubs of Freedom
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers  353WRX Points: 130Handicap: 18Posts: 353 Greens

Still waiting on my big bertha (04) 7 wood. But this is my range and practice round bag.

One I have the change to go to my old place, I'll post photos of my 7/6 iron collection that slots in the middle of this set

Posted:
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers  353WRX Points: 130Handicap: 18Posts: 353 Greens

This is my nike set. Still waiting to find a vapor pro combo 9 Iron, but have the 4 hybrid and driver sorted and ready to collect once we are out of lock down...

Driver, 3+ hl wood, 4 hybrid, 6, 8, 9, pw, 54 and putter.

A few loft adjustments to get my gapping right and this will be my most played set I'm thinking.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • David_McCullyDavid_McCully Members  6WRX Points: 14Posts: 6 Bunkers

I’m not able to play comp much, but can sneak 6-9 holes of practice in here and there.

Not worried about reducing handicap until I can play more (kids 😒😂).

Question: I could easily live without a putter and just belly my 58*. Feel like I putt better that way anyway. Anyone not using a putter at all???

Thinking Driver, 22* Sim hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, PW and 58*

Posted:
  • ckayckay Members  4716WRX Points: 763Posts: 4,716 Titanium Tees

Why wouldn’t you carry a putter? Just one more club to carry.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members  440WRX Points: 312Handicap: my golf swingPosts: 440 Greens

I’m no stranger to yippie putting so I will happily introduce you to this thread. It sounds ridiculous until you try it and now is the perfect time to experiment during lockdown. My only recommendation is that you should buy a purpose built putter and not try this with a normal one. 80* lie angle is really important.

Posted:
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • drn92drn92 Members  1856WRX Points: 163Posts: 1,856 Platinum Tees
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • golfkrzy10golfkrzy10 Members  184WRX Points: 132Posts: 184 Fairways
    Posted:

10 Club Modern Minimalist Set-Up (trackman gap fitting, 15 yard gaps up top, 25 yard gaps down low)

Srixon Black Sunday/ Stick bags (looking for the red one still!! PM if you want to sell!)

Srixon 565 9.5 (goes in both bags) and a Yeti full of bourbon & Ice (split/ combo set-up- forgiveness where I need it and playability where I want it)

Evens (even day): Titleist 915 F 15*- Titleist 818 H2 19*- Srixon u65 4-23*- Srixon 565 6-31*- Srixon 765 8-38*- Srixon 965 PW-46*

Cleveland RTX-3 Tour Raw 52, 60, Cleveland TA Milled 2

Odds (odd day): Titleist 915 F 13.5*- Titleist 818 H2 17*- Srixon u65 3-20*- Srixon 565 5-27*- Srixon 765 7-34*- Srixon 965 9-42*

Cleveland RTX-3 Tour Raw 50, 60, Cleveland TA Milled 2

Glove/ Ball: Srixon Red Z/ Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

• scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers  1657WRX Points: 198Handicap: 5....soon to be 6 I think Posts: 1,657 Platinum Tees

Love the roman numerals.... Much better than numbers. Always liked the first pings because they had a plain sole... Great looking bag

Posted:
  • laguna79laguna79 Members  292WRX Points: 81Posts: 292 Greens

During COVID19 played 9 holes with 6 clubs, Surprised the fun I had with the limited selection.

3 Wood

4 iron

6 Iron

8 Iron

52 Degree Wedge

Putter

Posted:
    Epic flash sub-zero
    Sim Ti
    GAPR 3 Iron
    3-4 Mizuno MP20 HMB
    5-7 Mizuno MP20 MMC
    8-PW Mizuno MP20
    Mack daddy forged 52
    Yururi Tour 58
    Scotty phantom 6.5
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member Members  1027WRX Points: 146Posts: 1,027 Platinum Tees

With the right shaft, I'm betting on the CG16 Tour to win that battle. Highly underrated club.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • drn92drn92 Members  1856WRX Points: 163Posts: 1,856 Platinum Tees

That Callaway 7 wood is highly under rated. I’ve had one in my bag for the last 10+ years. Very versatile.

drn92

Posted:

I wanted to change out the shaft and play it a little shorter and heavier (like a super hybrid). Just watched a video on fitting a bore through shaft... Think I'll wait until my pro shop opens again!

Posted:

My brother dropped off a box of some of my 7 irons heads while doing his shopping run. I'll be doing an Instagram post tomorrow on the middle slot of my 6 club bag but will share my 7 / 6 iron collection on here at the same time

Posted:

The start of my 6/7 iron collection. Which one would be going in the middle of your bag for your next round?

Posted:
  • OLD_MAN_ESCOOLD_MAN_ESCO Lefty Members  140WRX Points: 87Posts: 140 Fairways

My half set

Taylormade SLDR N.S pro regio formula

Taylormade vSteel 5 wood M.A.S.2

Cleveland 588 Cb Project X 6.0 4,6,8,W

Cleveland RTX 4 Dynamic gold tour issue 58

Taylormade Spider tour Jason Day

Sun mountain Swift X

Posted:
    Post edited by OLD_MAN_ESCO on
    Callaway x hot 3 deep project xv 6.5
    Cleveland 588 Cb 5,7,9 Project X 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 2 52 Dynamic Gold S300
    Cleveland RTX 4 58 Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
    Taylormade CS Fontana CGB 
    Sun Mountain Swift

Advertisement
  • lefty_foreverlefty_forever QuebecMembers  50WRX Points: 40Handicap: 7Posts: 50 Bunkers

Sweet setup!

Posted:
  • ckayckay Members  4716WRX Points: 763Posts: 4,716 Titanium Tees

My 8 club set up:

M3 440

TM 790 UDI 2(depends on course, if it is tight and under 6800, I drop the driver for the 2)

MP33 4-6-8-P

Cleveland 588 52-56-60(only bag 2 of the 3)

Scotty Mil Spec 34/340

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • stryperstryper Members  3478WRX Points: 974Posts: 3,478 Titanium Tees

You guys are playing with way too many clubs. Last round I went out, I took driver, 6 iron, gap, and putter. Tomorrow I’m going out with fairway, 7, sand, and putter. No bag, 3-4 balls, and a couple of tees. Not expecting great scores, but I’m improvising my way around the course in ways I hadn’t done before. Lotta fun.

Posted:
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7
  • jordan2240jordan2240 Members  61WRX Points: 45Handicap: 15Posts: 61 Bunkers

Well, can't beat 'stryper,' but my set the last few rounds (which were probably my most consistently good ever in a row) was SLDR mini-driver (yep, gave up on the 'ego stick,' 3H, 6i, 8i, PW, and putter. Can't say I came upon any situation where I missed not having a club available. Mind you, I'm pretty much a hacker, but find the game way more fun with fewer choices of clubs to ponder, and love walking with the 'Sunday bag.'

Posted:

What I'm gaming for my first round back after lockdown

Posted:

Advertisement
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members  440WRX Points: 312Handicap: my golf swingPosts: 440 Greens

9 clubs is the perfect amount for minimalist setup

I know that we can get away with less and obviously 14 is maximum but I think 9 clubs is the sweet spot.

Im currently gaming D, 5w, 5h, 6,8,PW, chipper (lol), 60* and a putter

Now, obviously most minimal guys will not be playing this setup but what 9 clubs allows you to do is cover both ends of the bag and allow a couple specialty clubs ( chipper and lob wedge)

I see a lot of guys dropping the driver to go sub 9 clubs. Which is fine, and I do it sometimes, but it does handicap your potential score. We can’t deny strokes gained anymore. Distance is better. Although I understand some people just can’t hit a driver well and maybe getting rid of it is better for them but it removes potential.

I see some guys going without a bunker wedge. This I don’t understand. If all you have is a PW I think maybe either you overestimate your ability to miss bunkers or overestimate your ability to get out of them with a PW

I even see some guys dropping putter altogether. I think this is an avoidance issue more than proper bag setup

Having 9 clubs also allows you to cover long shots , skip the middle of the bag, and go heavy on scoring clubs as well (like Herts’ bag above).

9 just seems like the perfect number. Change my mind.

*edit. Before anyone takes offence (as this is the internet and we all come here pre-offended) I’m not bashing your bag choice. You can golf with a hockey stick for all I care. This was intended as more of a conversation starter.

Posted:
    Post edited by marmaduk on
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • ARL67ARL67 Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life Members  287WRX Points: 100Posts: 287 Greens

I play courses / tees 6100-6300 yards

My 6 clubs would be: D, 5, 7, 9, SW, Putter

My 8 clubs would be: D, 3H, 5, 7, 9, GW, LW, Putter

My 10 clubs would be: D, 3H, 5, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, LW, putter

Posted:

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
    Titleist TS4 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65
    Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
    Titleist 818 H1 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
    Cobra One Length Utility 4i with Steelfiber i110cw
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw
    Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

• courcy75courcy75 Members  315WRX Points: 149Posts: 315 Greens
    Posted:
    Driver: TM Tour Issue 17' M1 9.5 Kuro Kage S
    TM 07' Burner TP 3 wood
    TM 07’ Burner TP 5 wood 
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0 +1/2
    Mizuno T7 52 Satin Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout +1/2
    National Custom Works 56 Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout +1/2
    National Custom Works 60 Project X LZ 5.5 Blackout  +1/2
    Scotty Cameron Studio Design JAT 

Advertisement
  • acemandrakeacemandrake ROCHESTER NYMembers  388WRX Points: 131Handicap: 12Posts: 388 Greens

7 clubs is perfect for me: Driver, hybrid, 6, 8, PW, LW, Putter

Driver not FW (for distance)...Hybrid for easy to hit long shots,,,6-iron for low & medium length shots...8-iron for 8 & 9 type shots...PW for short approaches & long pitches...LW for around the green...putter

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.