Bar rescue

calc61calc61 Army Veteran 1980-1984Members Posts: 2,939
Any fans of the show ?
Haven't played in over 2 years.
Still dealing with bladder cancer.I'm in the hands of the VA now.
Tagged:

Comments

• ahopkins13ahopkins13 Members Posts: 452
    My wife and I watch it frequently. We both enjoy the show, however its starting to run its course, seems to be same story line over and over. I do love it when an owner who thought their bar was destine for closure makes a come back and reinvigorates their enthusiasm.

The Pirate bar episode was pretty memorable. Mostly because they went back to their failing Pirate theme.
  • OrangeCrushOrangeCrush Members Posts: 2,578 ✭✭
    I used to like the show then I found out how FAKE it is! They did a local bar here and one of the people who was an investor of the bar spilled all the beans on what the show wants. They changed the name of the place for the show...1 yr later. its back to the old name.

I am not saying the host doesn't know what he is doing and doesn't offer great ideas for the suffering business', just saying the format of the show is a joke.
    Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
    Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
    Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
    Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
    https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphoto/

[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,392 ✭✭
    I'd like to know what kind of banks extend people (with obviously little to no knowledge of running a bar/restaurant) that kind of money. I remember seeing ones with guys being in debt over $2MM! I work for a bank and getting a $2MM commercial loan is hella hard, lol.
    G400 8.5* - G400 14.5* - Baffler 19.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Gorge Stealth 56* (@55*), 60* - BG F22
  • ColejColej Members Posts: 1,672 ✭✭
    We like the show. I'm sure there has to be a level of script to it though.
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,139 ✭✭
    J-Tizzle wrote:

I'd like to know what kind of banks extend people (with obviously little to no knowledge of running a bar/restaurant) that kind of money. I remember seeing ones with guys being in debt over $2MM! I work for a bank and getting a $2MM commercial loan is hella hard, lol.

I've been in the restaurant industry forever and have seen a ton of successful business guys completely fail with restaurants and bars. I know one guy right now that is at least 5 million in the hole on his current venture and continues to pump money into it. Good thing he's worth a good bit more but he's being reckless. No way this concept turns it around. A lot of guys find investors or lean on friends.
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,392 ✭✭

J-Tizzle wrote:

I've been in the restaurant industry forever and have seen a ton of successful business guys completely fail with restaurants and bars. I know one guy right now that is at least 5 million in the hole on his current venture and continues to pump money into it. Good thing he's worth a good bit more but he's being reckless. No way this concept turns it around. A lot of guys find investors or lean on friends.

Thats been the common thing I've seen with restaurants around where I'm at, lot of family and friend investors, which I'd say is even worse than owing a bank! I have a friend who decided to use a pretty large chunk of his eventual inheritance to open, what is now, a pretty successful sports bar, so there are times when it works out great.

I know since I've been doing what I'm doing, we've had 5 bar/restaurant loans and every one of them has either defaulted or been asked to find financing else where.

I think the draw of it is "hey you just make food and serve drinks and then you get to be your own boss". Which for some people is a good thing, but for a lot of people (which appears to be most of the people they feature in this show) they don't have the skills or work ethic to make a restaurant work and end up as a "bar rescue".
    G400 8.5* - G400 14.5* - Baffler 19.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Gorge Stealth 56* (@55*), 60* - BG F22
  • BillsPride12BillsPride12 Members Posts: 59
    Yeah that's the thing owning your own bar/restaurant is a TON of work, a huge commitment, and a lot of sacrifices are involved. My one golf buddy used to own his own restaurant for 20 some years but sold the place in 2001. Said he just gave up too much of his life running that place. He was very successful with it though and between money he saved up and a wife that has a good job herself, now he is reaping the benefits working a normal 40 hour a week job and getting to play lots of golf, travel, etc.
  • Bogie_NightsBogie_Nights Members Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    edited Dec 16, 2013 #9
    Not a fan.

The guy comes off as an arrogant tool, imo.

Also, the day my local watering hole starts limiting the booze in mixed drinks to 1.5 oz shots is the day they lose my business.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,139 ✭✭

Not a fan.

The guy comes off as an arrogant tool, imo.

Also, the day my local watering hole starts limiting the booze in mixed drings to 1.5 oz shots is the day they lose my business.

Yeah one of my favorite old bars in Michigan was nuts about alcohol management, even with a magnetic pour system. The brilliant thing was they passed savings back to customers by having every drink be a double with a premium well. That kept the crowds coming instead of giving the house away to regulars and hoping you get enough stragglers in the door to be alright. Of course my favorite bar of all time allowed me to drink as much as I wanted every night for $5 plus tipping out the bartender nicely.
  • One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder Members Posts: 10,801 ✭✭
    [twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers Posts: 6,043 ✭✭
    reality tv shows are not reality anymore.
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec