Blackfish

samawc

I just got done watching the Killer Whale documentary (now available in Netflix) and it made me dislike SeaWorld. I know that there are two sides to every story, but this documentary made a really compelling argument against SeaWorld.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

SLDR 9.5 with TP Fuel 60S
3W RBZ Stage 2 TP// 5W MacTech (18.5)
3-6 Scratch AR-1V2
7-P Scratch SB-1
Scotty Cameron Golo 5
Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 58 (TS)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I trust everything I watch on the TV and now, the Internet, as 100% factual."

Nope, haven't seen it. There's hasn't been much in the way of "documentaries" that isn't slanted one way or another. I'm cynical to almost anything that's put out these days. Heck, even "news" isn't really news today any more than sensationalism to sell ad space.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1387201806' post='8306937']
1. Hippies make documentaries.

2. Hippies want you to dislike what they dislike. This includes industry, resource extraction, large corporations, and something they refer to as "the establishment".

As such you have to take those documentaries with a grain of salt.
[/quote]

Ture enough Thrill, but viewpoints that oppose those put forth by organizations in power (I won't call them 'the establishment') are a critical aspect of a free society.

BTW, conservatives also want you to dislike what they dislike, yes?

Everyone wants everyone else to be on their 'side'.

Conservatives, liberals, bad sweater wearers, etc...

I'd love for one day, just one day, where people don't push good or bad on anyone. "Freedom from agenda day" or something like that. If you don't want what I want, well... then you're a commie.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1387206082' post='8307159']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1387201806' post='8306937']
1. Hippies make documentaries.

2. Hippies want you to dislike what they dislike. This includes industry, resource extraction, large corporations, and something they refer to as "the establishment".

As such you have to take those documentaries with a grain of salt.
[/quote]

Ture enough Thrill, but viewpoints that oppose those put forth by organizations in power (I won't call them 'the establishment') are a critical aspect of a free society.

BTW, conservatives also want you to dislike what they dislike, yes?
[/quote]

Lol, everyone with an agenda wants you to hop on board with their agenda!

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just that when you watch something you need to keep the biases of the creator in mind.

Wow, this post took a weird turn. I tried watching it with a critical analytical approach, it was the same emotional argument of the former trainers what made the documentary so compelling.

I do think that information overload really takes aways from the actual facts and because of it, I cannot stomach mainstream news outlets. It is hard to come across an unbiased documentary -- anyway, I came to 2 different conclusions after watching the film.

1) It is unlikely I will visit SeaWorld again.
2) You have not live life to the fullest until you have jerk off a killer whale.

SLDR 9.5 with TP Fuel 60S
3W RBZ Stage 2 TP// 5W MacTech (18.5)
3-6 Scratch AR-1V2
7-P Scratch SB-1
Scotty Cameron Golo 5
Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 58 (TS)

I've watched the documentary three times and would highly recommend a viewing. Some of the content is disturbing, but it made me critically assess my trips to the circus, zoo, marine water parks and animal 'sanctuaries'. I took my son (3 1/2 years old) to Marine Land (a Canadian equivalent to Sea World) this summer and he loved the Beluga exhibit as one surfaced and squirted him in the face, but I did notice that there was only one Killer Whale on-site. The majestic creature was swimming in a relatively small pool and the scene just didn't look right.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Thank goodness the general public are finally catching on to abhorrent venues like circuses and rodeos (I actually was unaware that marine parks may fall into the same category). Nevertheless, I still encounter folks who will mention they are going or have gone to a circus or rodeo, and I will say "Seriously?! Don't you know...." Unfortunately, some of those who still attend these disturbing shows simply don't give a f*** about how animals are treated.

The thing that bothers me is that this is becoming the new celebrity "thing" now - especially with a number of bands cancelling shows there. Hey, look at me, I'm taking a stand against a really bad thing, its all about THE ANIMALS. How hypocritical. Do the same bands do research into every venue they play at, do any background checks about the working conditions of the big corporations that sponsor the big venues or the giant tours they go out on that fatten their checkbooks? Hippies love Apple products but Apple is generally regarded as having some of the worst working conditions in their Foxconn factories (alert, that sentence contains some sarcasm). But oh god, its the new thing, ban Sea World, the killer whales!

I'm with Thrill, I cant watch anything like this without believing that there is a real agenda behind it. And when people go out of their way to tell you its an unbiased look - thats code for its a really biased look. I'm just curious as to whether people really had no idea how bad this sort of thing was? Do people really think that keeping giant animals in tiny cages - of any species - is a great idea? I'm not really pro Sea World or anti Sea World it just seems like a common sense sort of thing.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1387374515' post='8317379']
Thank goodness the general public are finally catching on to abhorrent venues like circuses and rodeos (I actually was unaware that marine parks may fall into the same category). Nevertheless, I still encounter folks who will mention they are going or have gone to a circus or rodeo, and I will say "Seriously?! Don't you know...." Unfortunately, some of those who still attend these disturbing shows simply don't give a f*** about how animals are treated.
[/quote]

OH man..."the did you know guy..?"

You know how to clear out a room at a cocktail or holiday party fast? Become that guy.

Do you eat meat? Do you buy apple products? (you want to talk about inhumane, go to an Apple plant in China - they have suicide nets to catch people jumping off buildings - and yes I have an iPhone). The hypocrisy is hilarious, just like dcmidnight said.

I mean what did you people think happened - that Shamu left her little trick pool and swam into the ocean, then came back in the morning when the bell rang?

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1387380968' post='8317879']
[/quote]

You know how to clear out a room at a cocktail or holiday party fast? Become that guy.

[color=#0000ff]Can't say that appeasing anyone at a cocktail party was ever a priority for me.[/color]

Do you eat meat? Do you buy apple products? (you want to talk about inhumane, go to an Apple plant in China - they have suicide nets to catch people jumping off buildings - and yes I have an iPhone). The hypocrisy is hilarious, just like dcmidnight said.

[color=#0000ff]Yes, but because of increased awareness of how food animals are treated (and the substances pumped into them), I have recently purchased some long guns with full blessing from the wife, and am learning to hunt. I have always been an accomplished fisherman and always practiced C&R, but will now be keeping more of my catch. We are doing these things to lessen our dependency on commercial meat.[/color]

[color=#0000ff]No I am not a fan Apple products and don't own any.[/color]

I mean what did you people think happened - that Shamu left her little trick pool and swam into the ocean, then came back in the morning when the bell rang?

[color=#0000ff]Nope, never thought that. However, I did think that Shamu was housed in a large space and treated like the very intelligent animal that she is. I have never been to (or been interested in) any Water World or Sea Park, and I try to keep the hypocrisy in my life to a minimum, so you can turn down your full bore sarcasm generator and give me a little bit of a f*cking break, OK? Thanks![/color]

[/quote]

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1387385162' post='8318255']
[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1387380968' post='8317879']
[/quote]

[color=#0000FF]Can't say that appeasing anyone at a cocktail party was ever a priority for me.[/color]

[color=#0000FF]Yes, but because of increased awareness of how food animals are treated (and the substances pumped into them), I have recently purchased some long guns with full blessing from the wife, and am learning to hunt. I have always been an accomplished fisherman and always practiced C&R, but will now be keeping more of my catch. We are doing these things to lessen our dependency on commercial meat.[/color]

[color=#0000FF]No I am not a fan Apple products and don't own any.[/color]

[color=#0000FF]Nope, never thought that. However, I did think that Shamu was housed in a large space and treated like the very intelligent animal that she is. I have never been to (or been interested in) any Water World or Sea Park, and I try to keep the hypocrisy in my life to a minimum, so you can turn down your full bore sarcasm generator and give me a little bit of a f*cking break, OK? Thanks![/color]

[/quote]
[/quote]

OK, no cocktail parties..."the guy who tries to push his beliefs on others guy" There ya go.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1387389986' post='8318745']

OK, no cocktail parties..."the guy who tries to push his beliefs on others guy" There ya go.
[/quote]

I will be monitoring your posts buddy, and you better not be expressing any opinions, lest you be branded as a hypocrite. There ya go. ;-/

[/quote]Do you think about how animals are treated (i.e.: they're ****ing killed) when you eat any type of meat?

Yeah. Treat them well, because you're specifically raising them for food, and you'll be killing them for food. :derp:

--kC

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1387391801' post='8318887']
[/quote]

I will be monitoring your posts buddy, and you better not be expressing any opinions, lest you be branded as a hypocrite. There ya go. ;-/
[/quote]

It's not about opinions - it's about trying to pass on something that people don't want to hear.

If you tell me you play mp64 mizuno irons - then, without you asking about my opinion, I tell you how you're wrong for not playing i20 irons. Without you inquiring about it. I never said you were wrong about your opinions of circus animals.

Opinions are fine - and no ones "opinion" is wrong, because it's theirs. If youre passionate about a topic thats great - go be passionate about it. But your approach is no different than me finding out how a person raises their kids - and telling them they are wrong. Who wants to hear that type of unsolicited stuff?

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1387395283' post='8319219']
[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1387391801' post='8318887']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not about opinions - it's about trying to pass on something that people don't want to hear.

If you tell me you play mp64 mizuno irons - then, without you asking about my opinion, I tell you how you're wrong for not playing i20 irons. Without you inquiring about it. I never said you were wrong about your opinions of circus animals.

Opinions are fine - and no ones "opinion" is wrong, because it's theirs. If youre passionate about a topic thats great - go be passionate about it. But your approach is no different than me finding out how a person raises their kids - and telling them they are wrong. Who wants to hear that type of unsolicited stuff?
[/quote]

You are correct on the unsolicited aspect, but every time anyone expresses an opinion, at some level they are trying to convince or persuade. As far as being intrusive with unsolicited comments, sorry, but some things need to be brought out into the light, and this topic is a bit more important than what irons I play (Wilson Staff).

OK, I think we're all square. Have a good holiday dude. 8-)

This is GolfWRX - what I play is more important that my family.

Kidding. Kind of.

This documentary has generated conversation and I think that is valuable. I enjoy a spirited (civil) debate about thought provoking issues. I support animal conservation and brought my child to Marine land to educate him on marine wildlife. I accomplished that task and the visit has become a gateway to knowledge and exploration. I think these 'parks' can accomplish both of those tasks, but there is obviously a dark underbelly that I was not aware of.

Thank you samawc for starting the thread. I passed the documentary along to a few friends today and they are committed to watching. I'm sure we will have a good conversation.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon