Toughest/Most odd looking par 3 that you at least got a par on.

Hey everyone, I thought of a decent topic on what's the Toughest (Or most odd looking) par 3 that you end up with at least a par on.

Personally, my toughest par 3 that end up beating, not just once, but for some reason I've been consistent when it comes good scoring at this whole. It's 200 yards, nothing but lake, and little bit like the long version of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass except with 2 more bunkers. Can't go short and can't go long. The only choices without taking a penalty are either on the green or in one of the small bunkers. Always end using a baby draw with a 5-iron. It's the 8th hole on this course http://www.granitefields.com/Hole8.html.

That's my toughest hole I've beaten. Does anyone else have good one?

Chris

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, I thought of a decent topic on what's the Toughest (Or most odd looking) par 3 that you end up with at least a par on.

Personally, my toughest par 3 that end up beating, not just once, but for some reason I've been consistent when it comes good scoring at this whole. It's 200 yards, nothing but lake, and little bit like the long version of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass except with 2 more bunkers. Can't go short and can't go long. The only choices without taking a penalty are either on the green or in one of the small bunkers. Always end using a baby draw with a 5-iron. It's the 8th hole on this course [url="http://www.granitefields.com/Hole8.html"]http://www.granitefields.com/Hole8.html[/url].

That's my toughest hole I've beaten. Does anyone else have good one?

Chris

I played one that is 235 over water, bunkers long and into a gale force wind. I was playing with a PGA tour Canada player and we both nutted drivers. Barely cleared the water by feet for the both of us. He made his putt and i made par which still felt like a bird.

Superfast TP 8.5*
RBZ 15*, 18*
R9 TP "B" 2-pw
Rac tp 54*
Vokey sm4 60.04
Odyssey black #2

Robinson Ranch, Valley course, #14. Card says back is 248, but the back most tee box to the back right pin they always have is 275y via the laser. I have hit both driver and 3w there. Both times I got GIR and 2 putted for par. The green features one large swale of about 5ft of elevation change all at once.
http://www.robinsonranchgolf.com/golf/valley-scorecard.html

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I actually have 2 of them:

Emerald Canyon, near Parker, AZ. It's a very short par 3, and plays much shorter then that. You walk onto the tee box and look out to the canyon wall about 150 yards away. You can't see the green or flag at all. You have to walk to the front edge of the tee box and look straight down. Lo and behold there really is a green down there. You sight a mark on the opposite canyon wall, step back to your ball and swing away. I'm not a big hitter and hit a 52* wedge to the back edge of this green. The ball is headed dead straight down and buries itself in the green. Missed the birdie putt.

The second is at a course near Sedona, AZ, can't remember the name off hand. Par 3, short, and you can see ONLY the top of the flag stick from the tee box. You have to hit over tree tops to the green. When you get to the green you realize the flag stick is about 15 feet long and that's the only reason you can see it from the tee. Par is a good score as you can't see anything from the tee box. I parred it with a pitching wedge to the green.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1387420693' post='8321111']
Every 250 yard par three I have ever played.

I've never seen a good one, they never give you anywhere near enough room because the hole won't be picturesque that way. I absolutely can't stand them.
[/quote]

Honestly what is even the point of holes like this.

Now granted you are/were a very very good golfer so I'm going to assume that's tip yardage but extrapolate that down the tee boxes and you're getting into nigh on impossible golf shots for the crap golfers like me.

The longest par 3 I regularly play is 200 from the whites, about 220 from the blues, the course doesn't have "tournament" tees, and the hole is more or less wide open but it's still a really difficult shot for me to play and a hole I dread, not to mention it almost always plays into the wind. Its also an elevated tee box to an elevated green so you think it plays downhill but it really doesn't.

And when I say wide open I mean the landing area short of the green, there's a maybe 10 yard wide neck to run it up with a bunker left and a nice mound right. Depending on wind I play the hole 20-25 yards short and try to chip up and make par.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='596' timestamp='1387420153' post='8321083']
I actually have 2 of them:

Emerald Canyon, near Parker, AZ. It's a very short par 3, and plays much shorter then that. You walk onto the tee box and look out to the canyon wall about 150 yards away. You can't see the green or flag at all. You have to walk to the front edge of the tee box and look straight down. Lo and behold there really is a green down there. You sight a mark on the opposite canyon wall, step back to your ball and swing away. I'm not a big hitter and hit a 52* wedge to the back edge of this green. The ball is headed dead straight down and buries itself in the green. Missed the birdie putt.
[/quote]

Ha! I know that hole well (play it for 80, right?)....

Fortunately, I've never played that course sober.

I've played a few that come to mind, including Emerald Canyon, but more recently the 3rd hole at Ventana Canyon's Mountain Course. Only a sand wedge but the view is amazing!!

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/647659

TM Burner TP UST Mamiya VTS 7tx
TM Burner T3 Penley Stealth 70 x
2-PW Titliest 690 MB TT Sensicore X
TM Tp 54 & 58
Ping Anser iWi
Maxfli u/4x

Local Par 3 -205yards. Long Par 3 for me. What makes it hard is the green is a pedestal green with STEEP 20-30' drops front, back and right. Left hand side is cart path and trees, so no bail out or safe shot. Add to that a severely back to front sloping green and its a terror.

Watched the Web.com guys struggle on this hole all day.

Absolute nemesis - don't think I've ever made less than double.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

The 15th hole on the Palmer Course at Olgebay was playing about 250 to the pin (not from the tips). It plays a little uphill and the day we played was into the wind. I tried to hit a controlled driver (choked down an inch or so with a bit of a easy swing). I ended up not hitting it that great but got a little lucky. I was short of the pin just off the green. Made a nice up and down to par the hole and ended up shooting a 36 or 37 on the back side. Definitely happy to par that hole and it led to strong finish.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

The 12th on the Nickalus Course at Bay Creek Resort in Cape Charles, VA was the toughest I can remember. 238 yards into about 15 mph wind blowing off the Chesapeake Bay. The tee shot was virtually blind because the green is protected by gorse covered mounds - we could just see the front right corner of the green from the tee box. This was a few years ago that I played there, but at the time it was a murdered 3-wood for me and at least one of the pros I was with played driver.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Hmmm...

#12 at Bulle Rock.
[gimg]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2318/2400497742_27e6ec157f.jpg[/gimg]

Usually plays around 190ish, with swirling winds. To the left of the green (not visible, on the right of the pic) is another huge bunker That catches most bail outs. From the thee, you can see very little of a very narrow green. I had probably my best sand save of the year out of the left bunker.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I am tired of playing courses with 4 par 3's and they are like 180, 190, 210, and 225. Why? Most tour courses are like 160, 170, 180, and one 200+. I feel like courses are trying to add length to seem legit and they always do it to the par 3's. But when you think of some of the best par 3's in the world they are under 150 and pro's are hitting wedge to 8i. Sawgrass, Pebble, Augusta, etc. the signature par 3's are not long, usually feature water, bunkering, and can be either birdie or bogey just as easy. 200+ just isn't fun and every hole doesn't need to be that long. If I play a course and the shortest par 3 requires a 5i it's a joke. How many par 4's do you have to hit 5i+ into? A par 3 should basically be a par 4 without the driver tee shot, aka an approach shot. These days par 3's are like the equivalent of your apporach shot on the most difficult par 4 on the course. The 460+y par 4 minus the tee shot. Getting old real quick.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

at my little home course we have a 165 yard par3 that you tee from about 15-10 feet above the hole, trees and ravine on the left, two bunkers in front and if you miss right it rolls down into a valley. Green is sloped down. Behind the hole is foot tall grass. Also there is usually a cross wind either left to right or right to left.

The sneakiest thing about the hole is that the tee box is pointed to the left of the hole so if you arent paying attention you set up to hit it into the trees.

It doesnt look too hard but it is a sleeper of a hole.

14 at Fossil Trace in Golden Colorado. It plays anywhere from 245 when the pin is in the back to 170 with a front pin placement. It is a two tier green and when the Flag is up top it is a VERY small landing area. If your tee shot is short you have a HUGE uphill putt that if you don't make it up the hill the ball will roll back and all the way off the green and will not stop rolling until it hits the rough. It's a very tough hole and Par is a great score on that hole. I have par'd this beast only a handful of times. Denver%20Golf%20Course%20Fossil%20Trace%20Golf%20Course%2014%20Green%20lg.jpgFossilTrace-_58_.jpg?m=1343411717

#Mizuno
#PlayFamously
#TeamJPX

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1387480586' post='8323973']
I am tired of playing courses with 4 par 3's and they are like 180, 190, 210, and 225. Why? Most tour courses are like 160, 170, 180, and one 200+. I feel like courses are trying to add length to seem legit and they always do it to the par 3's. But when you think of some of the best par 3's in the world they are under 150 and pro's are hitting wedge to 8i. Sawgrass, Pebble, Augusta, etc. the signature par 3's are not long, usually feature water, bunkering, and can be either birdie or bogey just as easy. 200+ just isn't fun and every hole doesn't need to be that long. If I play a course and the shortest par 3 requires a 5i it's a joke. How many par 4's do you have to hit 5i+ into? A par 3 should basically be a par 4 without the driver tee shot, aka an approach shot. These days par 3's are like the equivalent of your apporach shot on the most difficult par 4 on the course. The 460+y par 4 minus the tee shot. Getting old real quick.
[/quote]

I agree. We play a very easy muni that has a par 3 from the back tees that measures anywhere from 90 to 110 yds. There is nothing but tee and green. No bunkers. The green is deceptive with a couple of tiers and a few odd breaks. We all agree, due to its uniqueness that it is one of the best holes we play. You can hit the flag one day and if the wind is blowing leave it way short or way long and make bogey. It is a total mental challenge.

I was extremely fortunate to be able to play Pinehurst #2 earlier this year (2013).

I played the blue tees and have to say that #17 (186 yards) fit the bill for toughest / most odd looking par 3 that I got a [u]par[/u] on this year.

When the U.S. Open is played there next June (2014) I believe the yardage will be 208 (or something close to that).

Here's a look:

[attachment=1991591:pinehurst-2-hole-17.jpg]

#16 at ASU Karsten, 240 yards with water all along the right. What a stupid course in general.

#17 at Poston Butte is retarded too. It's just like 17 at sawgrass but it's 170-180 yards so you obviously can't hit a wedge.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[/quote]
Amen to that. Long par 3's are stupid.

All the good par threes are a short iron to wedge to a tough and undulating green.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Some of these descriptions make me feel embarrassed about the 188 yard par 3 that gives me fits. Not exactly sure what it is about the hole but it visually just throws me off for some reason and when there is a back right pin you have to hit a substantial cut or hit a towering 5 iron to carry to the hole. The hole is #17 @ Nob North Golf Course in NW Georgia. It is a Gary Player design and has some ridiculous greens on numerous holes. It is not hard to 3 putt if you put the ball in the wrong spot on or around a lot of the greens.

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1387511577' post='8326251']
[/quote]
Amen to that. Long par 3's are stupid.

All the good par threes are a short iron to wedge to a tough and undulating green.
[/quote]

Agreed with both of these comments.

Case and point, think of the best par 3's at Augusta...you'd most likely think of 12 and 16, both about the 160-170 yard mark but I doubt anyone would say the 240 yard 4th hole.

To add to the OP's question, the one that comes to my mind is the 4th hole at Shennecossett Golf Course in Groton, CT. It measures at 208 yards from the back tees (Blue) but is about 30 feet uphill and to give you an image of the green...take a turtle shell and turn it over. Yeah, its nearly impossible to stay on the green and its no easy chore to even chip on and have it not go off the opposite direction. Fun hole :russian_roulette:

Ping G400 Max 9° - Tour AD BB6X
Ping G410 LST 14.5° - Ping Tour 75X
Mizuno HiFli 2iron - ProjectX LZ Tour 6.0 Hard Stepped
Mizuno MP18-SC 4-6 - DG 120 X100
Mizuno MP18 7-PW - DG 120 X100
Mizuno S18 - 50°, 54°, 58° - DG 120 X100
Toulon Garage Austin / Scotty PhantomX / Ping Vault 2.0

This hole; number 3: [url="http://www.cgimgolf.com/pdf/parcours-de-irlande.pdf"]http://www.cgimgolf....-de-irlande.pdf[/url]
Was playing it in cold weather into the wind (played 270+ over water)
Rating is just under 76 and it's a par 70.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
SM5 Raw 52*, 56*, 60* Raw TI S400
Wilson Staff 1

I agree with many of the above posts, theres no reason to make 250 yard par 3's. I have played plenty of great 150 yard par 3's that are very challenging. Kind of like what they talk about at royal melbourn when the par 3's are like a 9 iron but many guys struggle to make par. I love short tricky par 3's!

TM R15 w/ Matrix 6m3 s
TM RBZ 15* w/ UST VTS silver 7x
Ping Rapture DI w/ Fuji Speeder 9.8 TS s
Ping s55 3-W w/ CFS x
Vokey SM5 52*, TVD 58* w/ s400
Piretti Cotton Wood II