In Ear Headphones

gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,184 ✭✭
Any good recommendations out there? I threw mine in the washer by accident. Looking for good sound with a mic on there for iPhones. I would prefer noise cancelling, but I know some just block out most of the stuff. I've been looking at the Bose SIE2i, MIE21, and the Shure SE 115-K and 215-K. Anything else I should be looking at? If it's something I can wear to the gym and not worry about sweat that would be a plus, but not necessary. Trying to keep it under $150.

Comments

• itchyfingeritchyfinger Three-hun...Whaaaat? Daaang! Members Posts: 569
    not a fan of in ear buds. I have tiny little rat ears so they bother me. BUT my brother in law picked up the bose noise cancelling set and I found them SUPER impressive from a sound quality standpoint. I typically like the Beats brand because I like a deeper sound to add treble and mids to but I found these less sterile than the other bose headphones/earbuds I have tried.
  • baseballfrk8998baseballfrk8998 Members Posts: 5,708 ✭✭
    I picked up the Jaybird Bluebuds X a few weeks ago and they're fantastic. They sound great and are Bluetooth so you don't have to deal with wires. The range is fantastic as well.
    8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
    14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
    19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
    RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
    52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,885 ✭✭
    The Bose earbuds are very comfortable (they come with like 6 tips) have pretty solid sound quality and are durable as crap. I would highly recommend them. I had a pair for 3 years which I left on a airplane. I then got talked into buying a pair of Beats by Dre ear buds and they literally were one of the worst made products I have ever owned. The first pair broke in months. They got replaced under warranty and that pair broke within a month. 3rd pair, did the same thing. I finally went back and just bought the Bose ear buds again. 2 years later and they still sound great are extremely comfortable and work like new. For the quality of sound, comfort and durability they are hard to beat. I know other brands sound as good or better but combine comfort and durability in there and Bose wins easily in my book.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,184 ✭✭
    I've heard good things about the bluetooth capability of the Bluebud X, but I need something I can plug in so I can use it with my Shuffle for running. Not a fan of Beat either. The sound didn't impress me. I actually thought the Soul by Ludacris was better, but it wasn't very comfortable in my ears. Leaning heavily toward the Bose right now.
    OP, you might keep an eye out on this deal. Maybe you can pick them up when/if they come back into stock.

Bose® QuietComfort 20 or 20i Noise Cancelling headphones ~$171 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/6583032
    14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
    These are also worth a look. I've heard great things about these:

Check this out on AMZN: Westone Three-Driver Universal Fit Earphone, Black http://amzn.com/B001MBLBXQ
    14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x

These are also worth a look. I've heard great things about these:

Check this out on AMZN: Westone Three-Driver Universal Fit Earphone, Black http://amzn.com/B001MBLBXQ

Good looking out. I totally forgot about the Westones but have ears good things too.
  • StormymondayStormymonday Members Posts: 9
    Klipsch audio s4. (S4i for mic capabities) $100 at radio shack and worth every penny! A professional music producer friend recommended them to me and I love them. They have excellent sound reproduction. (10Hz lows-19k Hz highs) super rich and full low end, and spine tingling crispy highs. Very durable too. I wear mine at work (factory) the gym, walking around, on trips. Literally everywhere, almost everyday. No problems in the 3 years I've owned them. I also find them rather comfortable during long periods of wear. Hope this helps!
    P.s. Avoid the shures. They wear out too easily
    edited Dec 28, 2013 #11

The Bose earbuds are very comfortable (they come with like 6 tips) have pretty solid sound quality and are durable as crap. I would highly recommend them. I had a pair for 3 years which I left on a airplane. I then got talked into buying a pair of Beats by Dre ear buds and they literally were one of the worst made products I have ever owned. The first pair broke in months. They got replaced under warranty and that pair broke within a month. 3rd pair, did the same thing. I finally went back and just bought the Bose ear buds again. 2 years later and they still sound great are extremely comfortable and work like new. For the quality of sound, comfort and durability they are hard to beat. I know other brands sound as good or better but combine comfort and durability in there and Bose wins easily in my book.
    I can't stand those beats by dre! They're all low end, muddy highs and no mids! I don't understand why everyone loves them so much! There are way better for way less out there!
  • RookieBlue7RookieBlue7 Members Posts: 13,157 ✭✭
    Bose, Monster, and Beats, you're paying for the name not quality. The Beats will fall apart rather quickly. Friend had 5 sets within a year and a half. Junk. Nose are decent but you can buy much better for the same money. Monster is junk.

I have 3 pair of quality buds I rotate:

Etymotic ER-4PT

Shure SE 425

Sennheiser IE80

All are quality and you're getting quality for the price.
  • RJRJRJRJRJRJ Members Posts: 5,935 ✭✭
    edited Dec 28, 2013 #13
    I don't think this price will last $39.99. Regular S4 for $29.99.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=klipsch s4i

I have a pair, and they are very good. And at this price, they are a no brainer.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
    Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
    Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
    i20 4-UW
    Taylormade TM-110
    Cleveland CG14 56 & 60
  • Arizonalefty59Arizonalefty59 Members Posts: 7,392 ✭✭
    I have some UrBeats and they're amazing, you just need to take care of them and they will last a lifetime.
    Titleist 915 D2 w/ Tour GP-6x
    Taylormade GAPR 17* w/ KBS Hybrid 80X
    Titleist 915H 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 85X
    Titleist 712 AP2's w/ X100's
    Titleist Vokey SM4's 52/56/60
    Scotty Cameron 009 350G
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1112997/az-lefty-titleist-and-cameron-junkie-pic-heavy-11-05-update#latest

Bose, Monster, and Beats, you're paying for the name not quality. The Beats will fall apart rather quickly. Friend had 5 sets within a year and a half. Junk. Nose are decent but you can buy much better for the same money. Monster is junk.

I have 3 pair of quality buds I rotate:

Etymotic ER-4PT

Shure SE 425

Sennheiser IE80

All are quality and you're getting quality for the price.

I agree when it comes to Monster and Beats, but not Bose.

You're not going to get the greatest sound quality with Bose, but you are getting the best noise canceling in the business. That means more to some folks than sound quality. Just depends on the person as it's all subjective.
    14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
  • RookieBlue7RookieBlue7 Members Posts: 13,157 ✭✭
    RJRJRJ wrote:

I don't think this price will last $39.99. Regular S4 for $29.99.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=klipsch s4i

I have a pair, and they are very good. And at this price, they are a no brainer.

Thanks, I ordered a pair to take to work. I've been wearing cheapies because there's a lot of moving parts inside the power plant and ladders to climb and such that I can hang the cord on (even with it tucked inside my shirt). These, hopefully, will provide some of the sound quality I'm used to while I'm there (and yes, I wear ear muffs over these to protect my ears from the loud machinery inside the plant).
  • scratchswingerscratchswinger Members Posts: 16,201 ✭✭
    I have some Monster I Sport Victory's and they work great so far.
  • _MS22__MS22_ No Pressure, No Diamonds . . . ClubWRX Posts: 2,441
    I've had a whole bunch.

Klipsch for me were absolute garbage as were the Bose in ear offerings. Never got the hype. Bad sound and uncomfortable. Maybe because they are what is avail to most locally.

Best under $100. MEEl M-Duos. Bar none. Second closest are the $79 Apple In Ears. Both are dual armature and produce a great soundstage. Duos are more bass heavy.

Going over a bill and you've got a whole range of options to look at. Personally i didn't notice much of a difference from the Duos through the $150-200 range honestly. Sure the $400+ Westys and the like sound good but I want those for the house only and am not going to beat them up at the gym and running.
    Haiku as a sig?
    They may be overrated
    But I'm rocking one!
    WITB:
    balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...
  • TVGMTVGM Members Posts: 366
    IFrogz ear pollution at Walmart for $15 . I've had beats,Bose in and over ear and the pricier Apple ones. In ear noise canceling is a waste of money. I'm a course super and I have mine in probably 6 hours a day every day. I've never had a set of any price range last me more than 6 months.
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,706 mod
    I bought a pair of the Bose i20's before a flight to Africa a few months back. Almost 19 hours of plane time each way but I didnt want to pack the Audio Technicas I have as I was trying to save on space. These are absolutely fantastic headphones. Not only is the noise cancelling spot on but the controller box works great as well. Definitely leaps and bounds above any other earbud I've tried. Check out some of the more in depth online reviews as well.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • CosmosMpowerCosmosMpower Unregistered Posts: 4,332
    I'd try and find a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi Pro 5's or Triple Fi 10's, had them both and they are nice.
    [Earphonesolutions] Audeo - Phonak Earphones 50% off - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/6593928

Check out the Phonak PFE 132's OP. They're $120 or so after coupon and have really good reviews on Amazon. A couple of people prefer them to Westy's and Shures.
    14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
  • itchyfingeritchyfinger Three-hun...Whaaaat? Daaang! Members Posts: 569

I can't stand those beats by dre! They're all low end, muddy highs and no mids! I don't understand why everyone loves them so much! There are way better for way less out there!

I have the 1st generation Beats Studio (2009) and they have not failed me. I got them for how deep they go. I'm not the type that will accept the sound given to me. I listen for range and tone. When I hear muddy highs and no mids, I know I can fix that. But when I hear sterile or no lows I know there is no fixing that. Sennheiser, BeyerDynamic and fostex are the hands down best but for the price you won't get the same dynamic range as Beats Studio for 300 bucks. I was not impressed at all with the lower end beats that I recently sampled. I'm not a brand homer....that's just the way it is. I did like one of the Sony sets but everything else I've tried is just not worth the price. I know what my ear likes and how to get it. That's the only determining factor for me (within my price range of course)
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,670 ✭✭
    Consider me strongly in the Klipsch camp. The Image s4 is IMO the best bang-for-buck earbud out there, and if you find them on sale you should jump on them immediately.
    M4 9.5°, Green Mamba 70TX
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno CLK  19°, Recoil Hybrid 95
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Mizuno S18  50.07, 54.08 & 58.08
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

Seems like everyone has their own favorite and there isn't really a consensus. I've been doing some research and for the ones I did most of them seem to have durability issues whether it's the earphones or inline mic that stops working or loud cord noise. I think I just have to bite the bullet.