Do you enjoy your job?

-GoldenHawk-

I'm a senior student going to graduate in May and I'm just in a bind as far as figuring out what I want to do for a job. I'm majoring in PR/Communications.

I really want to do something I love, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide what that might be. I love golf, but people say you shouldn't work in it if you want to play. I love sports, but there's never a 40 hour work week. I'm sure some here at the WRX dealt with the same thing I'm dealing with. Just thought I might get a little more motivation or some good insight here as to how to go about this phase in my life.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Running my [url="http://bunkerreview.blogspot.com"]golf website[/url], being a student, and playing golf everyday.. life couldn't be better! I'd say I enjoy my "job" very much!

EDIT: For you, I'd say chase your dreams. In the [i]Greatest Game Ever Played [/i]when Francious Ouimet gives up his dream to play in the U.S. Open at 20 years old, the club pro goes "You're 20? Aren't you a little young to give up on your dreams?".. thought that is a good piece of advice for you. You've got your whole life to life GoldenHawk.. why go after the boring communications job (unless you like it of course) instead of chasing your dream as a golfer?

I want to be a microbiologist or veterinarian, but I'm going to chase my dream of being a pro first. I work very very hard on my golf game and know it's not going to be a walk in the park to make it to the pro's... and I'm prepared for the rocky road ahead of me. If you are, too, go and chase it! Just remember nobodies going to hand it to you, you have to go out and get it.

I suggest reading these two articles I wrote to get your mind focused on golf (if you want):
[url="http://bunkerreview.blogspot.com/2013/12/mastering-mental-aspect-of-golf.html"]http://bunkerreview.blogspot.com/2013/12/mastering-mental-aspect-of-golf.html[/url] - Mastering the mental aspect of golf
[url="http://bunkerreview.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-hit-golf-ball-straight-every.html"]http://bunkerreview.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-hit-golf-ball-straight-every.html[/url] - The handguide to a great swing

In all bud, you've got to do what you want. Don't do anything else because you think it's the norm. If you want to be a communications major, go be it. If you want to be a professional golfer, go be it.

IMO the whole dream job thing is a fantasy that our generation was told when we were growing up. Sure some jobs are better than others, but at the end of the day a job is a job and if we didnt have to chances are most wouldnt work. Just keep in mind that you work to pay your bills and support your hobbies and life is about that stuff as opposed to what job you do.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

You just need to find something that you can tolerate and not hate to endure for 40 hours a week. I agree with what bubbagump said.

Luckily I'm in a career (civil engineering/land surveying) that I actually enjoy and I'm beyond busy, which means the 40-50 hours per week is over before I know it.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Even people who "do what they love" have bad days at work. We do not live in a fantasy world. Every office has inner politics, EVERYONE will have a bad boss at some point, etc.

But you know what I do love? Paid bills, flexible hours, money for golf, and the ability to wear jeans to work. So yes, I think the good vastly outweighs the bad at my job.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

With a father that worked for the same company for almost 35 years, one year before his retirement, they moved his job from Providence to Boston. They didn't eliminate it, they just said "if you want it, it's still yours, just up in Boston." I was in my 20s when that happened and it was then I learned to "Work to live, don't live to work."

I knew what I wanted to work with and what I wanted to do, but what I'm doing now I grew into over the years of being employed (lots of it from the web boom). I like the company I work for and they do OK by me (there's no perfect company) and I've been here for 13 years myself.

[QUOTE]but there's never a 40 hour work week[/QUOTE]You need to drop that concept real quick. Learn to do what it takes to get the job done without a confinement of time (40 hour weeks), and you'll exceed well beyond your peers.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1388412652' post='8366991']

You need to drop that concept real quick. Learn to do what it takes to get the job done without a confinement of time (40 hour weeks), and you'll exceed well beyond your peers.

--kC
[/quote]

I agree. This concept is going to die a horrible death once the Boomers retire.

Honestly, 6 years of experience in engineering and I've never felt that I couldn't get everything done in a normal week. Yeah, there have been emergency situations and a couple of project deadlines, but largely I make my own hours.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Like many others have said, I have to agree the whole "dream job" or "love" your work is a myth. I make very good money, enjoy what I do and work with great people... but would I rather play golf every couple of days, have a beer with lunch and be able to travel at will... sure, but it's not in the equation... at least not yet. Family, kids, responsability, piece of trash ex-wife, etc, etc... :-)
You're still young, you'll figure it out.

I'm in the boat with the thought that given the chance, most wouldn't work, but I do love what I'm doing. Finishing my Master's while teaching Special Education is the first time I've ever really enjoyed getting up to work.

D- Ping G30 9*
F- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 17*
H- Titleist 915H 18*
I- Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
W- Titleist SM5 50*F/54*F/58*M
P- Scotty Cameron X5 Dual Balance
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/977470-piper26s-bag-of-bogey-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

Most work to earn money to sustain a certain comfort level for "living". If you had enough money and could live within your means until you die, would you work? I wouldn't.

However, doing what you like to earn your money certainly eases the burdon in this time. :)

If you dread having to go to your job day in and day out, the power is on you to change things. No one should dread having to go to work on a constant basis. Sure, you can have trepidation sometimes, big meeting, sales pitch, implementing big changes, etc... but you should be prepared for anything like that. If you're not prepared for it, who's fault is that but your own? :)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Appreciate everything that's been said here. I know I'll be fine in the end. It's just getting to be that time that I'm going to need to secure something to start paying off loans and stuff. I've been looking out of state because I'd like to experience something different before it's time to settle down and there are definitely more opportunities outside of Iowa.

I think few people ever figure out exactly what they want to do. I'm closing in on 8 years out of college and still wonder. I bet in another 8 years I'll think the same. There's a fine line to walk between daily job enjoyment, career development, salary, and free time to pursue things outside of work. I'm currently looking at an opportunity that I think will improve my job enjoyment and free time, but may not be worth the trade off for salary or career development. So I'm not so sure.

If you haven't figured out a job yet, life is going to be tough for you until May and probably after. I know, I did the same. Didn't have a job lined up out of college because I thought something great was going to fall in to my lap. Doesn't work that way. Start really looking at actual jobs, not ideas of what you might want to do with your life. Find something that pays well and is at least in close relation to a field you want to work in. Settle down for a few years, work hard, and keep your eye on anything that falls on your plate that you really enjoy. Once you have some career experience and contacts, you'll figure out the next steps.

Consider that your first job, and likely the 2nd and 3rd ones after that aren't what you are going to do for the rest of your life. New grads, unless coming out with highly specialized degrees, need to realize that education doesn't end at graduation. Your early jobs after college help you create a foundation of skills and work ethics to build upon for when you find the job you REALLY want.

It's not how...it's how many

Aside from just trying to find a jib role you like, find a company you enjoy working for. The same job can be WAY different in different companies. Working for a company that is strict and bureaucratic works for some while others require a more relaxed environment. I've enjoyed my job for a long time because the company works. On the flip side, I've about maxed out and am probably going to move on soon. Right now ill give up some freedom to get into a role with better promotion opportunities. Your goals will change as the career advances

finding the right job takes a bit of luck too. You always start on the bottom, or at the very least not on the top. If you are working for a company and not doing the entrepreneur thing that means having a boss. Some bosses are terrible and some are great, most are in between. You have to learn how to manage those relationships. Working in an office successfully should qualify you for a psychology degree IMO

I'm fortunate now that i have a great boss, and have advanced in my company quite a bit myself. I genuinely do really like my job most days. So it is out there.....but you will have bad years too where things don't seem great.

The grass isn't always greener. And remember to enjoy life outside the office as much as possible. Best advice i can give is that

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1388428339' post='8368367']
Outside of Iowa? Geez, there are a LOT of opportunities outside of Iowa, if corn and grains are not your bag. :lol:

--kC
[/quote]

What's funny is I farm. Would I quit my job if I won the lottery? Nope, I'd buy more land and farm that too!

I teach Physical Education to K-2 kids. My job is a lot of fun on a regular basis. There are some who ask how I have the patience to deal with the little kids but all students offer challenges. Is this where I want to spend the rest of my work life? Who knows? I worked for 6+ years in Physical Therapy before this and enjoyed it every day as well. Then one day the bad parts outweighed the good parts and I decided to leave for something else. Life is too short to suffer in a job. It's just what you do to get money to buy golf stuff.(and other stuff too)

My only point is if jobs were really all fun and games they would not pay us to do them. Find something and do it for a couple of years then evaluate if you enjoy it enough to stay. If you don't.......... find something else to do.

running the bunny ranch in vegas might be fun for a while but you would probably get bored with that ..
the things I enjoy are hanging around golf courses and hanging around airports...both hobbies are expensive so you need a real job to enjoy that...

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6
Every kind of wedge there is

I've seen the workplace from both sides of the fence. I worked in the defunct steel industry for 10 years before it collapsed. Management considered us blue collar guys dirt, and treated us accordingly. Pay was good, horrible working conditions. After the end, I finished a business degree and became a CPA. Not having connections and being older than the normal college graduate, I worked minimum wage to get experience and licensing requirements. I was shocked to find out that degreed accountants, could be degraded just like their blue collar counterparts. I had a female boss that used to slap my hand with a ruler when she saw me looking at the 10 key, instead of relying on the touch system. I became a lightning fast 10 key man, because of her special attention. I took her attention as good fun, but I saw many instances of workplace abuse everywhere I worked.

I found a decent job that found me moving frequently. That did not work with family commitments, so when I refused a transfer, I was terminated immediately. A few more dead end jobs, and I decided to wing it myself. I worked for myself for over 20 years, a one person office, making a go of tax returns and bookkeeping. Didn't make a fortune, but working for oneself beat heck out of taking orders, especially from the boss's son or daughter.

My advice for all young people. Instead of working to support a lavish lifestyle, work towards needing less. (I saw a Suze Ormond seminar a couple years ago. She recommends this.) I'm retired now, and retirement forces a person to set priorities. I'd rather eat healthy than buy the latest car or golf equipment. Utilities and real estate taxes do not go away upon retirement. A plumber still gets hundreds of dollars to repair something, heath care, etc, etc, etc.

A young graduate needs to work hard and save money. Money in the bank or IRA makes a person more independent. Independence is something the government and the financial industry doesn't want the average citizen to have. I know a lady that works at the bank, she said that the government wants everyone to spend money, not save it. That's why interest rates are low.

To directly answer the question, I enjoyed working for myself. Unless you're the boss's son or daughter, you probably won't enjoy your job, no matter how much money you make.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1388579312' post='8378197']
I've seen the workplace from both sides of the fence. I worked in the defunct steel industry for 10 years before it collapsed. Management considered us blue collar guys dirt, and treated us accordingly. Pay was good, horrible working conditions. After the end, I finished a business degree and became a CPA. Not having connections and being older than the normal college graduate, I worked minimum wage to get experience and licensing requirements. I was shocked to find out that degreed accountants, could be degraded just like their blue collar counterparts. I had a female boss that used to slap my hand with a ruler when she saw me looking at the 10 key, instead of relying on the touch system. I became a lightning fast 10 key man, because of her special attention. I took her attention as good fun, but I saw many instances of workplace abuse everywhere I worked.

I found a decent job that found me moving frequently. That did not work with family commitments, so when I refused a transfer, I was terminated immediately. A few more dead end jobs, and I decided to wing it myself. I worked for myself for over 20 years, a one person office, making a go of tax returns and bookkeeping. Didn't make a fortune, but working for oneself beat heck out of taking orders, especially from the boss's son or daughter.

My advice for all young people. Instead of working to support a lavish lifestyle, work towards needing less. (I saw a Suze Ormond seminar a couple years ago. She recommends this.) I'm retired now, and retirement forces a person to set priorities. I'd rather eat healthy than buy the latest car or golf equipment. Utilities and real estate taxes do not go away upon retirement. A plumber still gets hundreds of dollars to repair something, heath care, etc, etc, etc.

A young graduate needs to work hard and save money. Money in the bank or IRA makes a person more independent. Independence is something the government and the financial industry doesn't want the average citizen to have. I know a lady that works at the bank, she said that the government wants everyone to spend money, not save it. That's why interest rates are low.

To directly answer the question, I enjoyed working for myself. Unless you're the boss's son or daughter, you probably won't enjoy your job, no matter how much money you make.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
[/quote]

Very well said. I guess the best thing is just to find work I can tolerate on a regular basis.

Just wanted to pass along my experience. I have been through many jobs as a scientist and manager. 8 yrs ago I started at my present job, and I was positive I would retire here. For 5 yrs it was great. My boss was easy going and gave me almost complete autonomy, there was comraderie and mutual support all through our group, creativity and enthusiasm, and good pay and benefits. Then, we got a new CEO, my boss quit, a young go-getter yes man became my boss, and they started firing/rif'ing employees. They cut our time off, holidays, pension, and healthcare. They started cracking down on breaches of policy/procedure, and our workplace culture has become one of fear and intimidation. Now I dread going to work every day, and I don't give a sh!t about the quality of my work. I'm looking to get out.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't get too attached to one job - remain flexible and ready for change, things always change.

Having a job that you love is subjective, it's all about getting what you want and need out of it at that particular time.

I used to have a career where I got paid very well, but I worked a ton and got very little time off. All I cared about was the $, and I was miserable at every day except pay day.

Now I have a low stress job with great benefits. I get to spend more time away from work doing things I enjoy, but I make substantially less. I love this job every day except pay day.

A good job isn't necessarily doing something you love every day...it's being satisfied that you're getting what you want at the end of the day

I'm a 24 year old with a masters in accounting and a CPA.

I graduated Spring 2012 and started with a Big 4 firm September 2012. Do I love my job? No. Do I hate my job? There are plenty of days I do. Have I ever wanted to quit? Absolutely. Do I still wake up every morning, get ready, and go do the best job I can? Absolutely. I had (and still have) no clue what I wanted to do with my life, but rather than sit around and wait for some magic to happen, I decided I was going to go into a field that I know will help support a lifestyle that I wanted to have outside of work.

Big 4 firms like the one I work for are set up to account for (and procure) a high rate of turnover from lower levels of staff. Partners and managers put all the grunt work on the staff because they know we as staff are using them for experience and as a resume builder. A year into my career I can count on one hand the number of weeks I worked less than 45 hours, and I wish I was exaggerating. If you break down my annual salary based on the number of hours I work, the person that comes into your cube to take out your trash has a higher hourly rate than I do. However I do make more than the average college graduate, and my individual income straight out of college already puts me above the median HOUSEHOLD income in the US. I do get great experience from an accounting technical standpoint, but a year in the greatest things I have learned have to do with project management, staffing, proper business ettiqutte, development of people skills, being able to make calculated decisions on the fly, reporting to upper management, answering difficult client questions on the spot, and other things that don't necessarily have to do with accounting. As much as the job sucks sometimes, I really can't beat the experience I am getting. Add in the bonuses I receive for being a top performer, the generous paid leave/sick days, working with other young people like myself, being in a challenging work environment, travel points at hotels/airlines, etc, and the benefits start to outweigh the bad things.

So no, I don't enjoy my job, but when I sit back and take everything into context, I have learned how to tolerate my job. The hours I work aren't sustainable forever; I know that and the management at my firm know that. But as a 24 year old, I don't really have any other option than to start at the bottom and keep clawing away until I find something that better aligns what I want out of life. Which brings me to my next point: save. I'm not ashamed to say that I still live at home with my parents, and as much as they drive me nuts there's nothing better than watching the balance in my bank account go up. After one year of work I was able to pay off the student loans I had and I was able to trade my old car in and purchase a newer car free and clear (and no, its not a BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc). I don't like to spend money on material things, and when I do spend my money I'd rather it be on experiences. For example, this summer I spent over $500 to play the Kapalua Plantation course on Maui and another $1500 doing a pre-busy season trip down south, and I didn't blink an eye doing either. That's the life I want to live and my job affords me the opportunity to do it.

Some good advice in this thread. I'd pay particular attention to (paraphrasing) those who have said to ignore all the dream job platitudes, cliches, and other rubbish.

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."
"Work for yourself and you'll always be your own boss."

When I read or hear this stuff it makes me want to gag. Find a job that you like well enough and that is profitable enough so that your overall life is balanced and happy. Dream jobs? Being in love with your career? Hey, there are certainly some souls out there who are in that spot, and if you are, good on you! But someone just entering the workforce attempting to follow this advice is setting on a path to unhappiness, IMO.

To directly answer the OP, yes, I like my job. The company I work for has, by and large, been pretty good to me, not out of the goodness of our shareholders hearts, but because I am damn good at what I do. I have a pretty solid team, good co-workers, a great boss, and a really great boss's boss.

To the OP's comment on the 40 hour work week, I'd forget about that [i]post haste[/i] for a variety of reasons. Highly recommend measuring your days, weeks, and years by what you accomplish, not by whether it took you 48 hours this week versus 56 a few weeks ago... Feel free to PM if if you're looking for more specifics.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle