Hawaii GolfWRX'ers........Local Kine Grindz!

Eh...where we goin eat??!!
Since it seemed to be the 2nd but pretty darn close to the 1st most important topic in the Hawaii Room, I'm starting and making it a "sticky" Local Kine Grindz thread.

Since Rick asked...Hide Chan..located next door to Hana Golf and across the street from Star Market on King Street. Little hole in the wall...about eight tables inside. Okinawan food place. Meals range from $8.00- 15.00 for the full teishoku dinner including miso soup, salad. Pretty good food. I had the ahi rib, shio style. About six pieces of ahi with the daikon orashii sp?. Pretty darn good stuff. For appetizer had the bitter melon tempura. Pretty weird sounding but was pretty ono. i've had the oxtail soup there too...$14.00, it's a littly small but pretty ono as well.

So..eh..where you guys ate lately that was ono's??? :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is a topic that I can really get into. :D I am a simple man, on the east side, give me a W&M BBQ Cheeseburger with fries and I am very happy ;) . On the other side of the island, I am a huge Tanioka's fan :D . In between, I will go for the chicken katsu curry at Taiyo :) .

This ought to be a great topic, I can't wait to try the places you guys recommend. :censored2:

Tony..I just love W&M too..but parking can be such a beyatch there. I loved it though when my dentist I used to go to was right next door in the bottom of the condo. I don't think he was too pleased though that right after he cleaned my teeth I'd be walking over to get a burger..ummm..make that two burgers. :D

I have to admit I'm a fan of the good value plate lunch with the max food possible.

So here's a short list of my favorites in town:

Sanoya's (if you want to call it plate lunch)

One Plus One (Katsu is great)

St Louis Drive Inn

Ono Hawaiian food (I think that's what it's called, the one on Kapahulu)

for the life of me I can't remember the name of the Hawaiian food place on Young Street. But that one too.

I'm sure there's more I forgot, but that's all I can remember right now.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I have to admit I'm a fan of the good value plate lunch with the max food possible.

So here's a short list of my favorites in town:

Sanoya's (if you want to call it plate lunch)

One Plus One (Katsu is great)

St Louis Drive Inn

Ono Hawaiian food (I think that's what it's called, the one on Kapahulu)

for the life of me I can't remember the name of the Hawaiian food place on Young Street. But that one too.

I'm sure there's more I forgot, but that's all I can remember right now.

Is it Yama's Fish Market?

Mililani club house resturant is really good. The hamburger steak on the sizzling platter and the steak are ono.

i guess i have to represent Aiea. anybody ever been to Youngs BBQ? best meat jun on the island! Also, one of the best chicken katsu, and definitely one of the best BBQ chicken. prices are fairly reasonable at around 8$ for a regualr plate, and they give alot!! they are located right next to Daiichi and close to Aiea Library.

second best meat jun goes to Dong Yangs in Wahiawa. also in wahiawa is Shiges. Shiges is a saimin house who has pretty good saimin, the curly kine. :D

my favorite place to eat in downtown is Yum Yum Thai. its a hole in the wall place located on bishop street by royal hawaiian jewelry. great thai food, and they are really cheap. 3 choice plate with rice is 4.75. and they dont charge tax.

ok thats it for now....

Dwight...Yum Yum Thai's fried chicken is the WINNAHS! They're ong choi is pretty good too! MMMMMM...making me hungry! While I'm talking chicken, I think the absolute BEST fried chicken plate is in Kaneohe at KJ's. Hard to beat six chicken thighs and two scoops rice and either spaghetti salad or corn. I swear the first time a friend picked me up a plate, I thought he got extra pieces of chicken for me since there's three in the box and three wrapped in foil on the side. When I found out that it was a normal plate, and after tasting the onolicious chicken, I knew this was going to be a regular haunt for me.

Rick..Yama's is good. The puple potato/haupia pie is awesome too! :D

Well all this talk about W&M had me getting the ono's to visit. I went by twice this week and the chain was across the driveway. Anyone know what's going on? I hope their not going the way of Ebisu's Okazuya. :friends:

Anyways...since they were closed yesterday, I stopped by St Louis Drive Inn. A bbq burger, cheeseburger and french fries latater I was a happy guy. Pretty nice to find a place with burgers under $2.00 that actually taste good. Only humbug thing was that they were out of Green River. :tongue:

Ah, St. Louis Drive-In. I haven't been there in a long time. I did however, have Tsukenjo's yesterday. I treated myself to Hamburger Steak and Roast Pork. No, it was NOT a mixed plate :friends: ! I have been eating there since I was a kid and I still love the Roast Pork.

Just up the road from St. Louis, I like the food at Taste of New York Deli. I know that is not exactly "local kind grindz", but it is very good. It is a bit pricey, but taking into account my above statement, I usually only finish 1/2 of the sandwich ;) ! I had to get a "doggie bag" for 1/2 the breakfast plate I ordered too. The first time we went there, there were two ladies who were going to split a salad. When the salad arrived, one of them exclaimed, "Whoa"! The next thing I know, one lady places a large plate of salad on my table and says, "honey, you look like you can eat this" :bad: . "Help an old lady out!" Right after that, the other lady hands my wife a plate of salad too! :russian_roulette: They were so cute, that I had to eat it. She tried to offer me seconds, because they still could not finish the "regular" size salad. The Roast Beef and the Pastrami sandwiches were good, and the breakfast was pretty good as well. They serve steaks for dinner now, but I have not had the chance to try them yet.. And oh yeah, the salad wasn't bad either. :tongue:

Hey Reid,

Went to KJ's to try the fried chicken. You weren't kidding about how much the give! The funny thing is everyone there was eating fried chicken.

I have one for Ramen. Love to eat at Goma Ichi on Keeaumoku. A pretty good cheap Italian restaurant is La Pizza Rina. For good Filipino food, go to Thelma's in Waipahu.

Anyone else get hungry all of a sudden?

Ah, St. Louis Drive-In. I haven't been there in a long time. I did however, have Tsukenjo's yesterday. I treated myself to Hamburger Steak and Roast Pork. No, it was NOT a mixed plate :friends: ! I have been eating there since I was a kid and I still love the Roast Pork.

Just up the road from St. Louis, I like the food at Taste of New York Deli. I know that is not exactly "local kind grindz", but it is very good. It is a bit pricey, but taking into account my above statement, I usually only finish 1/2 of the sandwich :good: ! I had to get a "doggie bag" for 1/2 the breakfast plate I ordered too. The first time we went there, there were two ladies who were going to split a salad. When the salad arrived, one of them exclaimed, "Whoa"! The next thing I know, one lady places a large plate of salad on my table and says, "honey, you look like you can eat this" ;) . "Help an old lady out!" Right after that, the other lady hands my wife a plate of salad too! :bad: They were so cute, that I had to eat it. She tried to offer me seconds, because they still could not finish the "regular" size salad. The Roast Beef and the Pastrami sandwiches were good, and the breakfast was pretty good as well. They serve steaks for dinner now, but I have not had the chance to try them yet.. And oh yeah, the salad wasn't bad either. :tongue:

Tsukenjo's...hmmmm...my mouth is thinking of the roast pork plate now. I remember going to Tsukenjo's about five years ago on a consistent basis daily. They used to allow me to cook by own breakfast on that grill in the front. :wub: I love their spare ribs as well and their meat loaf is always good too.

Good review on NY Deli Tony. I've been thinking about dropping in there as well. Ever since Bernards NY Deli closed, there really isn't many places to go to for good sandwiches. Even better...large good sandwiches. I've been eating right across the way from there at Cafe Laufer. I love their salmon w/ capers/onions and cream cheese and bread plate. Their soup of the day is usually always good too.

Hey Reid,

Went to KJ's to try the fried chicken. You weren't kidding about how much the give! The funny thing is everyone there was eating fried chicken.

I have one for Ramen. Love to eat at Goma Ichi on Keeaumoku. A pretty good cheap Italian restaurant is La Pizza Rina. For good Filipino food, go to Thelma's in Waipahu.

Anyone else get hungry all of a sudden?

Joey...it's funny about KJ's. They have a large menu but it seems the only thing people eat is the fried chicken. I know at work, whenever we have a transport to the State Hospital, KJ's is usually the main stop on the return back to town.

As for ramen...my absolute FAVORITE ramen place is in Waikiki along Kalakaua near Tiffany's and across the old Mitsukoshi Building. Tenkaippin serves a ramen style called "Kotteri" which is a thick chicken/vegetable stock soup which is super ono. Their fried rice is also the winnahs! What I usually do since parking is such a pain is park at Nike Town. Walk Kokohead to Tenkaippin, eat and then back to Nike Town for my parking validation. If you love ramen, you've got to try this place out.

hmm...I'm getting hungry again! :russian_roulette:

Perhaps we should take a vote on a place to eat after golf at New Ewa. I had lunch at the clubhouse after golf one day and it was okay.

Another place just popped in my head. En Fuego (not sure if spelling is correct) in Kapolei is pretty good. They have a good spicy tuna on sushi rice bento. Yamagen next to Longs on King has some pretty good lunch specials too.

I think my club Ho'ing isn't out of control yet but my eating habits definately are!

I think my club Ho'ing isn't out of control yet but my eating habits definately are!

Hehehehe...which could probably explain why most of us Hawaii guys....not including Rick are not in the most svelte shapes! :shok:

Where are the best hot dogs? I say PUKA DOGS!! Sean (808golfer) & I were up in Kauai and we couldn't resist the temptation to partake in feasting on those "dogs". I can't get enough of it cause I brought back 5 of 'em home with me. My taste buds are gonna thank me, but my cholesterol level :shok: won't. Aah why the heck worry about it, I'll be running 3 miles in the morning anyway.

Where are the best hot dogs? I say PUKA DOGS!! Sean (808golfer) & I were up in Kauai and we couldn't resist the temptation to partake in feasting on those "dogs". I can't get enough of it cause I brought back 5 of 'em home with me. My taste buds are gonna thank me, but my cholesterol level :shok: won't. Aah why the heck worry about it, I'll be running 3 miles in the morning anyway.

Gee thanks bro.....you brought five back and I'm here in the office "feasting" on a cheeseburger and fried chicken/chili plate from Zippys???? Oh and yeah Carl...it's your fault I'm eating chili every damn day! You got me hooked on it! I just hope I don't have the same reaction you had the other night! :cheesy:

And hmmmm...running three miles huh? Hmmmm......you must have made great strides recently since your attempt at the Aloha Run. :cheesy:

I have to agree with Joey, En Fuego is pretty good. Nice selection and good food. Of course it would be wrong to mention En Fuego without mentioning Sugoi too. The Garlic Chicken is pretty good, but try the Ahi loco moco when you want something different for breakfast.

New Ewa's restaurant is okay. I second the motion for a different place to eat after golf. On that note, the Bird of Paradise restaurant at Hawaii Prince is pretty good too. I used to eat there so much that I knew the menu by heart. I even knew the phone number by heart.

That reminds me, I am jonesing to eat the shoyu pork at Ige's! Now I am really hugry!

Hehehehe...which could probably explain why most of us Hawaii guys....not including Rick are not in the most svelte shapes! :cheesy:

I don't know whether to be offended that you don't think I can eat (cause I can eat), grateful that you think I'm in some sort of shape, or a little weirded out you're checking out our shapes. :cheesy:

I agree with Puka Dogs. I don't know how you managed to not eat those 5 before you got home. You have willpower for sure.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

I don't know whether to be offended that you don't think I can eat (cause I can eat), grateful that you think I'm in some sort of shape, or a little weirded out you're checking out our shapes. :shok:

:cheesy: C'mon Rick..you're the skinniest of the Hawaii guy's I've met so far! I think you could slam five puka dogs and still not have a "bump" like some of us sport on the course even before eating! :cheesy:

Anyways...after reading W&M so much I drove by again today and YAYYYY it's open. I guess they're closed on Mon/Tue but today, a Royal was all ready for me to gind! It was ono...but after eating the St Louis BBQ deluxe burger the other day, I don't know which one I liked better. Looks like I'll have to stop at St Louis Drive Inn before I head to work tonight! :cheesy:

had Monarchs Seafood today for lunch. my favorite from them is the ahi katsu, hawaiian plate or the spicy firecracker chicken. im sure most of you guys have been there before!! if not you're missing some good stuff man!

Nope...where's Monarchs? Sounds pretty ono though

Just finished up my late dinner from St Louis Drive Inn...Roast Beef plate and a BBQ Burger Deluxe. Hooo da ono and I'm feeling pretty stuffed to be awake and working for the next seven hours. :shok:

had Monarchs Seafood today for lunch. my favorite from them is the ahi katsu, hawaiian plate or the spicy firecracker chicken. im sure most of you guys have been there before!! if not you're missing some good stuff man!

Kalihi & Colburn Street. Ehh, wea u been? LOL !! The chocolate-haupia pie dripping with lilikoi sauce or banana cream pie is very shaka too!!

Just finished up my late dinner from St Louis Drive Inn...Roast Beef plate and a BBQ Burger Deluxe. Hooo da ono and I'm feeling pretty stuffed to be awake and working for the next seven hours. :shok:

monarchs is located on kalihi st. its across the street from bank of hawaii, sort of diagnally from libby's manapua, and next door to chun wah kam. i think the other street intersecting is mcneil (not sure). their ahi katsu is similar to jurrisons one (although waaaaay better), its sushi like rolls and the fish is still raw on the inside. not to be confused with other places ahi katsu in which it is like a chicken katsu but only fish. they have really fresh seafood/poke. only downside with the ahi katsu plate is one plate just wont do it for the biggers eaters like myself......

ok i got beat to it, i guess its colburn..haha