Mikey Town's WITB - New Wedges

1235»

Comments

• sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,426 ✭✭
    One of these days I need to get my butt over to Cool Clubs in Irvine and do a fitting. I have the G30 LS with the Tour shaft (9* set at 10* similar to yours) and while I'm hitting the driver better than I have in years, there is always the "is there anything better". I think getting fit would eliminate that and that alone would be worth the money (unless a better fit was going to cost me $$$$). Anyways thanks for the great write up.

Callaway Epic SZ - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 15* - Diamana S Ltd
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2015 #123
    Loving all the images! Are you from the LBC? I see the Skylinks Towel!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    TaylorMade 2019 M1 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.
  • Mikey TownMikey Town Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2015 #124

Loving all the images! Are you from the LBC? I see the Skylinks Towel!

Grew up in Bellflower and am currently a board member for the Men's Club at Skylinks.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your post to not include my entire WITB? It's very pic heavy and it really mucks up the thread when you have to scroll through the whole thing again just to get to the next post.

Thanks Brian!
    TaylorMade Driver
    Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭

Grew up in Bellflower and am currently a board member for the Men's Club at Skylinks.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your post to not include my entire WITB? It's very pic heavy and it really mucks up the thread when you have to scroll through the whole thing again just to get to the next post.

Thanks Brian!

Got it! Hopefully I see you there! I play skylinks once a month.
    TaylorMade 2019 M1 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.
    edited Apr 23, 2015 #126

Thanks Brian!

Got it! Hopefully I see you there! I play skylinks once a month.

Thanks a lot!

We have Men's Club tournaments once a month. You should join!

We just put together a new website this year. Check it out and PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.skylinksmensgolf.com/
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • DavethegolferDavethegolfer Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited Apr 24, 2015 #127
    Hi Mike - just interested in why you did not try the R15 430? I have put it in the bag and it is awesome.

Dave

Hi Mike - just interested in why you did not try the R15 430? I have put it in the bag and it is awesome.

Dave

I did try it... I actually own the driver. I've seen some pretty good on-course results with it, but it's not as user friendly as the G30. I do like the club, and am not giving up on it, but the G30 is still giving me great numbers while being quite a bit more forgiving.
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • Beastmode BrokerBeastmode Broker Canadian AF Members Posts: 6,317 ✭✭
    image/read.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':read:' />

just killing some time waiting for updated pics, NBD ......
    Taylormade M1 440 9.5 | Kuro Kage DC 60 X
    Taylormade M2 15 | RIP Alpha B 70 X
    Callaway XHP 20 | RIP Alpha 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-PW | TI DGX100 ssx1
    Callaway MD3 RAW 52S / 56W | DGS300
    Nike Engage 60 TS | DGS300
    Taylormade Milled Collection Mullen 35"
  • DavethegolferDavethegolfer Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Mikey Town wrote:

Dave

I did try it... I actually own the driver. I've seen some pretty good on-course results with it, but it's not as user friendly as the G30. I do like the club, and am not giving up on it, but the G30 is still giving me great numbers while being quite a bit more forgiving.
    Oops - too many red wines on board whilst reading the thread!
    The shaft is in, and the driver is built!

I ended up ordering through my club builder as he was quite a bit more affordable than Cool Clubs would have been. Everything was built to spec last night and I'll have it on course for the first time tomorrow morning.

Final build specs:

Ping G30 LS Tec - 9* Head Set at 10*

Graphite Design AD MJ 6X - Straight in, No Tipping

45.25" Length

D4 Swing Weight

Golf Pride NDMC Grip

I can't wait until tomorrow morning to see what this thing can do!

AD%20MJ.JPG
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • beluga99beluga99 I can't avenge my partner's death with this pea shooter Members Posts: 901 ✭✭
    Hi MikeyTown - if you could spare a moment to update us on this thread that would be most appreciated! Some high quality pics also wouldn't go astray. Cheers
    G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    Glide 51, 56, 60 ES
    Odyssey
  • KPH808KPH808 Participation Trophy ClubWRX Posts: 2,634 ClubWRX
    What did your club builder do to get the swing weight of the G30 to D4? How do you feel about the sound and feel?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=times new roman,times,serif]Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
    TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
    Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
    Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
    Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M
    [/font]
    [/font]
    beluga99 wrote:

Hi MikeyTown - if you could spare a moment to update us on this thread that would be most appreciated! Some high quality pics also wouldn't go astray. Cheers

No real changes since I put the G30LS/AD MJ 6X in the bag. The TEE fairways and Mizuno wedges are wonderful. I'm playing J40 CB PW-5 iron on my old KBS tour shaft set. The putter spot is a bit of a rotation, but they are all fantastic!

I did recently take the MP-H4 4 iron out of the bag. My "full time job" swing just wasn't giving me the desired results in that club anymore. I picked up a new Cobra Bio Cell hybrid on the cheap, pulled the Steel Fiber shaft from my 4i and put it in the hybrid. Sure, I feel like an old man with 4 headcovers in the top end of the bag, but I'm able to step up to a 200 yard shot with a bit of confidence now, so it's a worthwhile tradeoff!

KPH808 wrote:

What did your club builder do to get the swing weight of the G30 to D4? How do you feel about the sound and feel?

Regarding the swing weight question... I have no idea. I just use them, I don't build them.

As for sound and feel. Well... It's loud... really loud. Not "square driver" loud, but loud. It feels like it's made of metal. So much of feel comes from the sound aspect of things that I feel that the description of sound is the description of feel. So I guess it feels loud. LOL

The shaft feels superb. Nice and smooth, easy to load/unload properly, etc... Basically everything you want from a properly fitted shaft. The combo performs great and I don't see myself looking for a change anytime soon.

Cheers,

Mike
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
    Oh... One more thing...

A new Byron has been ordered.
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,658 ✭✭
    I stumbled into your WITB from your new DH89 thread Mike. Absolutely stunning collection of putters. I'd never seen the 'Eraser' before, but have ogled over your Lajosi a few times ; )

The best WITB photography I've ever seen. Images are so crisp. I'd post a WITB, but you'd never be able to make out what the clubs were with my sub-standard photographic skills.

Cheers,

Mike.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • redheadredhead Members Posts: 718
    edited Jul 27, 2015 #137
    Mikey Town wrote:
    Ping WRX Classic Anser 2

Ping%20WRX%201.jpg

Ping%20WRX%202.jpg

Ping%20WRX%203.jpg

Ping%20WRX%204.jpg

Hi Mike!

I am particularly interested in your classic Anser putter. I have never seen something like that. Is that refurbished/restored?

Cheers!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    redhead wrote:

Hi Mike!

I am particularly interested in your classic Anser putter. I have never seen something like that. Is that refurbished/restored?

Cheers!

Nope... It was brand new. You can still order the classic Ansers through a Ping dealer. This one happened to have the additions of a sound slot and tungsten weights by Ping WRX.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your original post to take out the quote of my post #1? When people do that, it posts all of the photos again and creates a lot of unnecessary scrolling. It really does muck up the thread and make it difficult to navigate.

Cheers,

Mike
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • redheadredhead Members Posts: 718
    Mikey Town wrote:

redhead wrote:

Hi Mike!

Cheers!

Nope... It was brand new. You can still order the classic Ansers through a Ping dealer. This one happened to have the additions of a sound slot and tungsten weights by Ping WRX.

Would you please do me a favor and edit your original post to take out the quote of my post #1? When people do that, it posts all of the photos again and creates a lot of unnecessary scrolling. It really does muck up the thread and make it difficult to navigate.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the long quoted post. I have edited and took out the post.
  • KPH808KPH808 Participation Trophy ClubWRX Posts: 2,634 ClubWRX
    Have you tried the new MP 5 or MP 4 compared to the 69s? Just curious b/c I had a set of the 68s then went to the MP 4s a few months ago and didn't try anything in between. I'm thinking MP 5 next but I've heard great things about the 69 so was thinking of going that route.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=times new roman,times,serif]Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
    TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
    Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
    Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
    Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M
    [/font]
    [/font]
    KPH808 wrote:

Have you tried the new MP 5 or MP 4 compared to the 69s? Just curious b/c I had a set of the 68s then went to the MP 4s a few months ago and didn't try anything in between. I'm thinking MP 5 next but I've heard great things about the 69 so was thinking of going that route.

I haven't had a chance to hit the MP-5s, but I did spend some quality time with the MP-4s. From a playability perspective, they couldn't touch the MP-69s (for me). The 69s are simply the easiest to hit blade I've ever held in my hands. In my opinion, they didn't get the credit they deserved.

From a looks perspective, it's hard to beat the MP-4 or MP-5. They really are gorgeous irons.

That said, I currently have J40 CBs in the bag and don't see them coming out any time soon. I still have the MP-69 heads laying around, just in case I come across a cheap set of KBS Tour Stiffs and feel like a bit of a change.
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • titleistgolf_nirvanatitleistgolf_nirvana ClubWRX Posts: 467 ClubWRX
    wow that is some great looking stuff, awesome byron collection as well.....I had seen the original eraser dh89 many times....I'm digging the new one
  • PushDrawFlushPushDrawFlush Members Posts: 232 ✭✭
    This is such a sweet set up. I would love to hear about how the Byron compares to the Lajosi in your experience. Are the DH89's GSS?
    915D3 Tensei TX60
    915F 15* Speeder 757 X
    Adams Hybrid
    Z965 Modus 120X
    MD3 50*, 54*
    Vokey SM6 60*
    Studio Select Newport
  • Jwin323Jwin323 Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭
    Mikey Town wrote:

The shaft is in, and the driver is built!

I ended up ordering through my club builder as he was quite a bit more affordable than Cool Clubs would have been. Everything was built to spec last night and I'll have it on course for the first time tomorrow morning.

Final build specs:

Ping G30 LS Tec - 9* Head Set at 10*

Graphite Design AD MJ 6X - Straight in, No Tipping

45.25" Length

D4 Swing Weight

Golf Pride NDMC Grip

I can't wait until tomorrow morning to see what this thing can do!

AD%20MJ.JPG

Are you still using Matt Pham? I've been trying to find him since the Fitting Studio closed. Where is he now?
    Jwin323 wrote:

Are you still using Matt Pham? I've been trying to find him since the Fitting Studio closed. Where is he now?

Sure am... He's the best!

He has a small shop set up in the garage. Doesn't have the flightscope anymore, but still provides a better build than anything I've found priced remotely close to him.

Feel free to PM if you need contact info.
    TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
    Well, how about that... my 2,000th post.

May as well celebrate with new wedges!

Really excited for this setup. The 54.08M will be bent to effectively be a 56.10M. I know they have a 56.08M, but I wanted a little extra bounce, so this should be a nice solution. I might even write a nice little "+2" next to the loft/lie stamping in some sweet tour issue sharpie. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

KBS Tour White Wedge shafts will be installed in these bad boys over the next couple days!

TaylorMade Driver
    Bridgestone Irons
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan Putter(s)
    WITB Link
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,443 ✭✭
    edited Aug 2, 2016 #147
    DOH!

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"