Who is going to build a shorter driver based on Wishon article?

Lacey Underall

I've only gone as short as 44.5" in the past. Tempted to build something at 44" this year. Still having a hard time believing that the change in swingweight won't be a problem.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went an inch shorter to a 44.5" last year. For me, the decrease in swing speed was negligible (< 1 mph), so it was a no-brainer. It sounds silly, but it's also provided a mental crutch - playing a shorter length club reminds me not to overswing (and gives me a built-in mental excuse in the unlikely case that someone makes fun of me if I don't hit it 290!). But I'd take better contact and more fairways hit with a loss of 10 yards any day and think most people would benefit from a similar change, as Wishon said.

And for those worried about swing weight, a club fitter (or lead tape) can get you back to what you are most used to easily.

I've got a new shaft coming for my R1 and plan on cutting it to 44" or 44.5". Played a R9 a few years ago at 44.5" and felt really good with it.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

Had a 3W 70g Fuji Fuel shaft in my Anser head...total length was 43.5". It was short, but something about that length gave complete confidence to just crush it.

Didn't notice a lick of distance loss vs 45+" shaft. Much more accurate.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I went from 45.75 down to 44.5 and the difference in centre face contact was HUGE. Instead of being all over the face I was all in over the sweet spot. At my last fitting they suggested going longer for more clubhead speed... no way. I'll stay shorter and in the middle everyday of the week instead.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

[quote name='Apex93' timestamp='1389292223' post='8428975']
And for those worried about swing weight, a club fitter (or lead tape) can get you back to what you are most used to easily.
[/quote]
Not necessarily true. If you cut a 45" driver down to 44" then you have a 6 swingweight difference to make up. Heavier shaft will get you 1-2 swingweights max. So now you would have to add enough lead tape to make up 4 swingweights? That's a massive amount of lead tape. Not really feasible. If you are starting out with a 45.75" inch driver then just forget about it. Now you are talking 8-9 swingweights. Its impossible to make that up.

2023 WITB

I have my 913 D3 stock D+ shaft cut to 44.5 and then I have a Rombax 7z08 cut down to play around 44". I've used both but I was doing best with the D+ last time couple months before the snow flew. Might experiment some more in the spring with the two shafts. I did add the heavier weight so the swingweight is still D3 with the 44.5" shaft but it gets a little low with the Rombax, but still works.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

I am gaming a 9.5 Nike VR Pro LE with a 44" PX Tour Issue 8a4 shaft. I put a strip of lead tape under the grip to add weight without adjusting the flex and I could not be more pleased. I have NO IDEA what the swing weight is, but then again I dont really care. It feels perfect to me. If you're going to do it, dont let swing weight scare you out of it. Just use whatever you're comortable with and dont let people on here convince you that you messed up because your swingweight is off. Just be aware that a shorter heavier shaft could reduce launch angle so you may want to find a low kick shaft that launches high, or an increase in driver head loft. But its hard to argue with the control it gives you!

Cobra Aerojet 8* Tensei White 2.0 Prototype 65TX
Titleist TSi3 15*. Tensei AV Raw White 80x.
Cobra Tour Forged 3i. X100.
Cobra CB 4-6. X100. 

Cobra MB 7-PW. X100.
Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60. TT X100  
Spyder X Hydroblast Flow Neck

Being a short guy 5'6" I've always played a shorter driver. My wrist to floor is somthing like 31". The length of some of these stock drivers (46") to achieve marketing claims of 15yd longer blah blah blah are ridiculous. I've built and played drivers from 44.5" to 44.75" and SW from D0 to D4, the lighter the head the stiffer a shaft can feel. It's not a ton of difference but it is noticible. Does it effect ball flight or kick point of the shaft? . . . prob not, just the feel of the club in the hands. A few range sessions will usually be enough to dial in feel.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Nope.

A fitting session would determine if you need a shorter shafted driver. Now all kinds of people are running out to their shops and cutting down their driver shafts, lol! If you didn't get fitted and want that much of a shorter shafted option then really you're after a 3 wood, are you not? Could always get an 11.5* strong 3 wood. Why not just get fitted for a proper driver? That way you can get the swingweight adjusted from the manufacturer if you do in fact need a shorter shaft.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1389294035' post='8429205']
A fitting session would determine if you need a shorter shafted driver. Now all kinds of people are running out to their shops and cutting down their driver shafts, lol! If you didn't get fitted and want that much of a shorter shafted option then really you're after a 3 wood, are you not? Could always get an 11.5* strong 3 wood. Why not just get fitted for a proper driver? That way you can get the swingweight adjusted from the manufacturer if you do in fact need a shorter shaft.
[/quote]
I understand your point about fitting, but really who in the world would be fitted for a 45.75" driver? Maybe an NBA player or two. I like your idea of the strong 3 wood. Cannot tell you how many guys have come in my shop and said they now hit their 3 wood (Rocketballz, X Hot, etc) as long as their driver.

2023 WITB

I tried one, only problem is the massive amount of lead tape I had to add to get it back to the SW I like. Disregarding that, I lost a little bit of distance but I am more consistent.

Right now, I'm just using my stock RFX and just choking down on it and that's working as well.

Titleist TSR3 10.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 5

Titleist TS2 16.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 7

Titleist TSR2 21° Graphite Design AD-UB 8

Taylormade P790 4 - PW Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 50° Dynamic Gold 105
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°, 58° KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

I currently play mine at 47", tried going shorter and just never got used to it, feels like I'm standing too close to the ball to really generate any clubhead speed. Of course being 6'3" with long arms means I need a bit of room.

TSi3 10* at D1 w/ Atmos TS Black

TM Stealth2 15* w/Ventus Red
Cobra King LTD 17* w/Diamana S+

PXG 0311T Gen3 GW-4 w/Modus 105

TM MG3  54* , Vokey SM9 58*04T
Evnroll ER8V short slant

[quote name='Lacey Underall' timestamp='1389294922' post='8429299']
[/quote]
I understand your point about fitting, but really who in the world would be fitted for a 45.75" driver? Maybe an NBA player or two. I like your idea of the strong 3 wood. Cannot tell you how many guys have come in my shop and said they now hit their 3 wood (Rocketballz, X Hot, etc) as long as their driver.
[/quote]

Yea, I guess the old standard in the 80's was 43" for a driver but things change. I have a friend who cut his driver down but still opt's for his X Hot 3 wood as his driver instead. He kept using his driver and said "I shouldn't be scared of it" until we all reasoned with him and said it's pointless because he hits his 3 wood further and straighter. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I just find it very strange that cutting down a driver is considered a good thing without any sort of fitting or swingweight adjustments.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

So if I'm using a 46" driver, am I crazy? Driving accuracy is a weak point in my game so maybe this could be a solution. Should I go straight to something around 44 1/2? or just take a little off so it's not so a big change? Also do I need to get a new shaft because it would throw off the swing weight?

TM R15 w/ Matrix 6m3 s
TM RBZ 15* w/ UST VTS silver 7x
Ping Rapture DI w/ Fuji Speeder 9.8 TS s
Ping s55 3-W w/ CFS x
Vokey SM5 52*, TVD 58* w/ s400
Piretti Cotton Wood II

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1389295342' post='8429357']
[quote name='Lacey Underall' timestamp='1389294922' post='8429299']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yea, I guess the old standard in the 80's was 43" for a driver but things change. I have a friend who cut his driver down but still opt's for his X Hot 3 wood as his driver instead. He kept using his driver and said "I shouldn't be scared of it" until we all reasoned with him and said it's pointless because he hits his 3 wood further and straighter. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I just find it very strange that cutting down a driver is considered a good thing without any sort of fitting or swingweight adjustments.
[/quote]

The driver is the most forgiving club in the bag, I feel like it would make more sense to play a shorter driver rather than a longer 3-wood.

If someone hits their 3-wood farther than their driver then it's either mental or their driver isn't properly fit for them.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

When I cut my K15 down from 45.75 to 44.5 my main concern was shaft flex. I added lead tape to the bottom and installed a Winn Lite grip. After awhile I took off the lead tape and never really noticed a difference. The shaft was still playing to flex (makes me think it was a tad softer to start with) but it worked out well.

My G25 has a D3 swing weight and the Ping fitter said I could trim it down to 45" with no problem.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I wonder how many golfwrx'ers read the part about very few golfers actually doing well with 45"+ shafts (high swing speed, smooth tempo, later release) and immediately concluded that that they fell into this category....I know I did.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5