2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tee if Forward: Ego vs Courage?

Sean2

Over the past couple of months I have been talking to a number of different golfers about this topic. I'm beginning to wonder if it's less about ego and more about courage.

Many of the people I have spoken with seem all for it, but are concerned about what their friends, or the people they are playing golf with, will think if they say they would like to play another set of tees.

Many of these golfers get frustrated hitting woods or hybrids into par four's, or hitting the same clubs on par three's. However, they also find that moving up a tee box, while their friends, or the people they are paired with, are playing back even more daunting.

For example, last year I went to a muni I haven't played in a few years. The scorecard indicated they had senior tees. I said to myself, "Hey, I'm a senior, I'll give it a go."

I went to the first tee and there were three gentlemen there: a twosome and another single, all around my age. One of the twosome asked me what tees I would be playing. I said the senior tees. In a stentorian voice he said, "We always play the blues." He turned to the other single and asked, "What about you?" You could see guy really struggling with this one. "Are you really going to play the senior tees?" he asked me. "Yeah," I responded. He decided to join me.

The "blues brothers" proceeded to enjoy the entire course, perhaps shooting in the mid-90s. The other single was very excited: "I've never reached that hole in regulation; never used an iron on that par three; never had two birdies before; shot my personal best; never had so much fun," etc. He told me I had a lot of "*alls" to play the senior tees, and in the past he always played the blue tees.

This happened on a couple of occasions (whites instead of blues). In any case, it seems a number of golfers don't tee it forward because they are afraid to. Afraid what their friends will say. Afraid what the people they are paired with will say.

So perhaps many golfers don't tee it forward not because of their egos, but simply because they don't have the cojones to do so.

The irony here is that maybe everyone in the group may want to move up, but no has the cojones to suggest it. Or, maybe I'm wrong. Or, perhaps a bit of both.

I play what ever tee boxes I want. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I'm amazed at how "fragile" some golfers are.

In any case, may I kindly suggest that some golfers "grow a pair" and move up a tee box or so. :-)

ps: I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread, that wasn't my intention. If I do, I apologize.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can't say that I've "teed it forward", if I'm playing as a single, I do try to play the correct tees for my handicap. But sometimes, I do like to play from a longer length, just to see how my game holds up (btw - it doesn't).

But I do have one group of friends that I sometimes play with. They struggle with consistency off the tee, and one of them may drive the ball around 200 yards. We tend to play courses under 6000 yards.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

Isn't ego and courage kind of intertwined? I like to play it forward and have a nice, enjoyable round without getting all worked up. For me golf is an outlet to relieve stress, not something I want to cause it. Sometimes it's just nice to hit wedges where I usually hit mid irons, and sometimes when the swing is in a groove it's nice to hit those longer irons into greens. It's kind of like when the pros go and play an easy course as opposed to Bethpage. If every week was a true grind for them we'd see tons of burnout, yet amateur golfers wish to have that pressure on their backs whenever they play? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yesterday I went to a course to play a practice round for an upcoming tournament. I played the back 9 by myself and was paired on the first tee with three players call them, bob, mike, and jim (bob and mike know each other already). After the introductions, bob asked jim which tees he was going to play. Jim says the middle tees. Bob then asks me what tees I'll be playing. I say the back tees. Jim proceeds to claim that since there is no difference between the middle and back tees that he will play the back tees. Of course there is a difference between the middle and back tees. However on the first hole there is only 10 yards difference.

The only point I want to make is that Bob, Mike and Jim playing from a set of tees that they would not normally play from because one out of four players, a total stranger says that he is going to play from the back tees. I suppose I could have mentioned that I am playing in an upcoming tournament at the course but I don't think it would have mattered.

I really like the idea of tee it forward. I have an upcoming tournament at a short course (equivalent to teeing it forward in terms of length) and every practice round has taken just about 3 hours. It is also fun to be able to hit close to par 4's in one and have shorter irons into par 3's.

One last comment. A friend once told me that one way to learn to score is to go play any course and play two balls from the most forward tees and only count birdies or better.

I think it's a little of both, ego and lack of courage to be different. It does get intimidating when playing with 3 low hc golfers to move to the senior tees while they pound them out from the backs. I think part of the issue is the 'inconvenience' you might put on them to force them to stop at the front tees after they get in their carts and drive the short distance. Sometimes you don't feel accepted because of their egos as well. I usually play the front men's tees (white) and realize that the majority of golfers should be playing there as well. Seeing golfers playing from the back tees, because of ego, when they do not have the talent is a very annoying, and I believe starters should make them move to the front tees or else.

I think you have a really good point that allot of people (my self included) are guilty of. When I'm out playing with the guys, it's boys on the blue. All day, every day.

But my girlfriend is learning to play, and we normally just play par 3/executive courses, and we play from the front tees. I can share the excitement your playing partner had. The course we played yesterday has one short par 4, and one long par 3. On the long par 3 I'm normally hitting a hybrid/4 iron from the back tees. I took a 6 from the front. On the par 4 I took driver... at the green. That was exciting! I hit a poor shot, but was only about 20 yards off the green. It felt great.

In contrast, the last time I was out on my home course, I played the blue like normal, which is comfortable... until it's windy. After that round, I'd really wish I'd moved up based on the conditions. In the future I think I will. Hitting straight into the wind on about 6 holes is just brutal. Granted, it's nice when it's at your back to pick up 20-30 yards, but that difference is terrible hitting straight into the wind, over water, to an elevated green with bunkers. I had to stripe a driver and a 4 iron on what would normally be a pretty straight forward par 4. Par 5's... they might as well been par 7's for me.

Wow, never seen you start a thread on this topic before... in the last [s]48hrs[/s] 24hrs anyways ;)
Those 'blues brothers' should start asking for royalties the amount of times they show up in your posts.

And you can protest all you want, but these threads are about you. Well apparently you and your testicles :p
The rest of us just pick a tee box and go. 5800yds Sat and 6500yds Sun. Who knows what tees and yardage next weekend will bring. No grand declarations. No courage needed. Just following a white ball around in as straight a line as possible for some number of strokes.

I have finally learned my lesson and won't read another one. I'm out and back to the travel forum. I hope the cabin fever passes.
BTW, you have a typo it's [i]It[/i] not [i]If[/i].

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I really think the club pro has some responsibility here.

In my opinion, I think most players should have to get permission to play from the back tees on a regular busy day at the course.

Also, I think course designer's build a course in case Tiger shows up. Come on... MOST people don't need to play from more than 6500 yards.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390255756' post='8496935']
Over the past couple of months I have been talking to a number of different golfers about this topic. I'm beginning to wonder if it's less about ego and more about courage.

Many of the people I have spoken with seem all for it, but are concerned about what their friends, or the people they are playing golf with, will think if they say they would like to play another set of tees.

Many of these golfers get frustrated hitting woods or hybrids into par four's, or hitting the same clubs on par three's. However, they also find that moving up a tee box, while their friends, or the people they are paired with, are playing back even more daunting.

For example, last year I went to a muni I haven't played in a few years. The scorecard indicated they had senior tees. I said to myself, "Hey, I'm a senior, I'll give it a go."

I went to the first tee and there were three gentlemen there: a twosome and another single, all around my age. One of the twosome asked me what tees I would be playing. I said the senior tees. In a stentorian voice he said, "We always play the blues." He turned to the other single and asked, "What about you?" You could see guy really struggling with this one. "Are you really going to play the senior tees?" he asked me. "Yeah," I responded. He decided to join me.

The "blues brothers" proceeded to enjoy the entire course, perhaps shooting in the mid-90s. The other single was very excited: "I've never reached that hole in regulation; never used an iron on that par three; never had two birdies before; shot my personal best; never had so much fun," etc. He told me I had a lot of "*alls" to play the senior tees, and in the past he always played the blue tees.

This happened on a couple of occasions (whites instead of blues). In any case, it seems a number of golfers don't tee it forward because they are afraid to. Afraid what their friends will say. Afraid what the people they are paired with will say.

So perhaps many golfers don't tee it forward not because of their egos, but simply because they don't have the cojones to do so.

The irony here is that maybe everyone in the group may want to move up, but no has the cojones to suggest it. Or, maybe I'm wrong. Or, perhaps a bit of both.

I play what ever tee boxes I want. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I'm amazed at how "fragile" some golfers are.

In any case, may I kindly suggest that some golfers "grow a pair" and move up a tee box or so. :-)

ps: I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread, that wasn't my intention. If I do, I apologize.
[/quote]

Whatever ya big wuss!

You know what...

Shhhhh....

I play the " Ladies " boxes when I play with my wife....

I still use my driver...

LOL

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

Our system in the Netherlands is a bit different. Most courses have this from back to front:

White - back tees
Yellow - men's tees
Red - women's / senior tees

Some have black: that would play longer then white.
Some have orange: that would be junior tees (shorter then women's tees)

I tend to play from the whites, but depending on who I'm playing with I can move up to yellow or red. It's all in good fun, I try not to do the ego-thing :)

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

My home course is nine holes, but the tees are rated such that you can play the back tees and the middle tees and there is a rating for that: so you can play the one nine black and one nine yellow and still post a score for GHIN purposes. I mix it up and sometimes play black/black or black/yellow or yellow/yellow.

After my heart surgery I had to play red/red for a few weeks (after I was cleared to play golf again)...the doctor didn't want me over swinging, plus I was still a bit fatigued. Some golfers busted my chops over it, but I couldn't care less, I was out playing golf again, and I was looking at the grass from the top down, not the bottom up (it was a near thing).

The point is, play the set of tees that will give you a chance to make a birdie once in a while, or allow you to get to that long par 4 in regulation...don't worry about what other people will think...it's YOUR golf game...not theirs.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390264096' post='8497795']
My home course is nine holes, but the tees are rated such that you can play the back tees and the middle tees and there is a rating for that: so you can play the one nine black and one nine yellow and still post a score for GHIN purposes. I mix it up and sometimes play black/black or black/yellow or yellow/yellow.

After my heart surgery I had to play red/red for a few weeks (after I was cleared to play golf again)...the doctor didn't want me over swinging, plus I was still a bit fatigued. Some golfers busted my chops over it, but I couldn't care less, I was out playing golf again, and I was looking at the grass from the top down, not the bottom up (it was a near thing).

The point is, play the set of tees that will give you a chance to make a birdie once in a while, or allow you to get to that long par 4 in regulation...don't worry about what other people will think...it's YOUR golf game...not theirs.
[/quote]

I have a blast playing from the forward tees.... My wife... My Dad... Buddies who can't play.... It doesn't matter... To me it's fun...

Here's a trick guys....

Doesn't always work.... But sometimes it does...

I play the Tips when I'm a single... Always will.... Ever get paired up with guys playing from the wrong boxes...

YOU move up.... Tell them you alternate boxes to make it fun and use every club in the bag...

Never had this backfire... Heard a grumble or two... But oddly... We ALL ended up having more fun.

It's Golf... No matter where you stick the Tee in the ground...

Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

Honestly, I would love to give it a go from the seniors tees but my playing partners would be cry foul.

Maybe I am lucky but I honestly don't run across many folks playing from the wrong tees. On my home course i have only seen a handful of folks playing from the blues. The only one I've been paired up with was certainly playing from the correct tee.

I'm long enough for the blues but I don't see the point ordeal the need to prove my manliness. The whites allow me to keep the driver in the bag. I did play from the tips on a muni in charlotte over the holidays, but if I hadn't I would have been a wedge into every par 4.

Everyone in the dogfight definitely uses the white or seniors tee. If anything I see way too many borderline guys using the seniors tees.

I always play the whites. I made the decision a few years back that I won't play blues until my handicap reaches and stays in the lower single digits. I'm not a long hitter, I would bet that I average maybe 240 off the tee. When I get a hold of one, maybe 260-265 tops. Why punish myself with long irons into every par 4?

About three years ago I played one of the shorter courses in the area. It's short enough that we often play the blues, but that day we played whites (~6000 yds). I shot even par 72, and had a blast. Lowest round I've ever shot.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Logistically, there is one thing that can make sense for everyone playing the same set: safety.

If its a course where the whites are in a place where if I play blues, the three others will have to duck and cover all day, I'll move up.
But otherwise, I always have played the tees I want to and are appropriate for me.

Am I calloused for saying I don't particularly undertand people who would be so worried about what a stranger thinks, -or courageous?
I'll take the latter, pretty please and thank you...lol!

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1390272903' post='8498811']
I always play the whites. I made the decision a few years back that I won't play blues until my handicap reaches and stays in the lower single digits. I'm not a long hitter, I would bet that I average maybe 240 off the tee. When I get a hold of one, maybe 260-265 tops. Why punish myself with long irons into every par 4?

About three years ago I played one of the shorter courses in the area. It's short enough that we often play the blues, but that day we played whites (~6000 yds). I shot even par 72, and had a blast. Lowest round I've ever shot.
[/quote]

Very sensible! You had fun, shot your lowest round...and didn't punish yourself. :-)

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1390273927' post='8498901']
Logistically, there is one thing that can make sense for everyone playing the same set: safety.

If its a course where the whites are in a place where if I play blues, the three others will have to duck and cover all day, I'll move up.
But otherwise, I always have played the tees I want to and are appropriate for me.

Am I calloused for saying I don't particularly undertand people who would be so worried about what a stranger thinks, -or courageous?
[/quote]

But people do care what others think. I suppose that's natural to some extent, but why not have a bit of fun while playing this great game? It's difficult enough as it is. :-)

Don't you always have the back tee guys go first and then move up tee boxes? I thought that was pretty standard when playing different tee boxes

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1390273927' post='8498901']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Played 9 with my girlfriend from the red tees a couple months ago. It was quite interesting, needed to actually laser the flag on some par 4s :)

Honestly we had a lot of fun together. I think I shot 2 over or something like that. I suggest giving it a try, definitely a whole new look if you play the same course frequently.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1390275833' post='8499101']

[/quote]

Played 9 with my girlfriend from the red tees a couple months ago. It was quite interesting, needed to actually laser the flag on some par 4s :)

Honestly we had a lot of fun together. I think I shot 2 over or something like that. I suggest giving it a try, definitely a whole new look if you play the same course frequently.
[/quote]

Tellin you... No better way to do it when the wife is on the course.

Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

It was definitely fun. I have no problem playing any set of tees that I feel like playing that day. I play frequently with her dad as well and if I dot have anyone else to play back a few tees I'll join him on the whites without hesitation. I also will hop on the tips with my buddies if they are feeling extra awesome that day and want to lose some golf balls.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I usually play from the whites and I prefer tees that are 6100-6300yds.

Today was kind of interesting. I played as a single and was paired with two nice guys who were in their late 50's/early60's (I'm 48). The whites play long at this course (6500yds) and the senior tees are 6200yds. I asked the two gentlemen what tee's they were playing from and I told them I'm happy to play from the yellows (which are the senior tees). One of the two said he definitely wanted to play from the whites. I could tell the other guy was hesitant but he didn't want to play a different set of tees from his friend.

The 3 of us ended up playing from the whites. For me, 6500 yards was a bit longer than I like but I ended up shooting 83, which is about my average score. The other two guys really struggled because of the length and the number of forced carries that they couldn't reach.

Even older guys seem to succumb to peer pressure and it does take some courage to play from the tees that are right for you.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1390276889' post='8499199']
I usually play from the whites and I prefer tees that are 6100-6300yds.

Today was kind of interesting. I played as a single and was paired with two nice guys who were in their late 50's/early60's (I'm 48). The whites play long at this course (6500yds) and the senior tees are 6200yds. I asked the two gentlemen what tee's they were playing from and I told them I'm happy to play from the yellows (which are the senior tees). One of the two said he definitely wanted to play from the whites. I could tell the other guy was hesitant but he didn't want to play a different set of tees from his friend.

The 3 of us ended up playing from the whites. For me, 6500 yards was a bit longer than I like but I ended up shooting 83, which is about my average score. The other two guys really struggled because of the length and the number of forced carries that they couldn't reach.

Even older guys seem to succumb to peer pressure and it does take some courage to play from the tees that are right for you.
[/quote]

That's too bad. The guy is playing a nice course on a nice day. Too bad he didn't play the tees he really wanted to play. Even 6200 yards is quite long for senior tees.

Sometimes "older" guys are worse than the younger guys. :-)

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1390275601' post='8499079']
Don't you always have the back tee guys go first and then move up tee boxes? I thought that was pretty standard when playing different tee boxes
[/quote]
Oh, absolutely, it's common sense. To you and I. Not always those you end up getting paired with. Some courses have design elements that lead to some less than desireable line of play in relation to teebox issues. My home course is one. People that don't play alot are out for fun and not always super aware at all times. It happens. Sometimes its just easier to move up than direct traffic for the afternoon.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1390261760' post='8497505']
Wow, never seen you start a thread on this topic before... in the last [s]48hrs[/s] 24hrs anyways ;)
Those 'blues brothers' should start asking for royalties the amount of times they show up in your posts.

And you can protest all you want, but these threads are about you. Well apparently you and your testicles :p
The rest of us just pick a tee box and go. 5800yds Sat and 6500yds Sun. Who knows what tees and yardage next weekend will bring. No grand declarations. No courage needed. Just following a white ball around in as straight a line as possible for some number of strokes.

I have finally learned my lesson and won't read another one. I'm out and back to the travel forum. I hope the cabin fever passes.
BTW, you have a typo it's [i]It[/i] not [i]If[/i].
[/quote]

[color=#800080]Peoples just pick a tee box ? That is crap as I hear the same stuffs from guys. They do nots want to be seen up tees. It is about insecurities to me. [/color]

[color=#800080]This post is true , so nots sure why you gives him a hard time over it. I asked a guy I played with weekly to move up for fun. He always hads some lame excuse. Playing on weekend from blues , ands others. He even admitted he did nots want other members seeings him up tees. I agree abouts growing a set. [/color]

I'll be 59 in 3 months and single digit cap. I"ll play whatever tees I feel like playing. I've played them all. When my wife and I play together I'll tee it forward with her. I love playing those tees. I"ll also play the blues, and the whites and the reds. 4 different courses. It gets boring playing the same hole from the same tees hitting the same clubs every day :lazy2:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390279617' post='8499451']
Sometimes "older" guys are worse than the younger guys. :-)
[/quote]
My father-in-law is one of those guys. I've been struggling to get him to move up to the senior tees for a while now. He's almost 70, and if he's lucky he hits it 190-200 off the tee. Once in a while he agrees with me and moves up to the senior tees, and he usually has a much better day. Other days he fights me and stays back on the whites with me.

What's worse is I see him posting articles on his Facebook page about teeing it forward, and then he'll make comments that everyone else should follow that advice, but he won't follow it himself. Drives me batty.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I play a 4 ball match play with guys from work on Tuesdays. We'er all members at the course we play. Last summer I talked them into playing from the ladies tees just to get to hit some different shots. They kicked about it some but finally agreed. After seeing some drivable par 4's and hitting a lot of wedges into par 4's everyone had a great time. I suspect we'll be doing more of that this summer.

Its kind of fun standing on a tee knowing if you hit it well you could be on the green. Since we only play at one course it can get a little boring knowing exactly what clubs will be used on each hole. Playing from the ladies tees really shook things up.

Handicap 7.7