2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

U.S. Golf Manufacturers Anti-Counterfeiting Group: See these counterfiet clubs from Day 3 of the PGA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1390520272' post='8519461']
Im no club expert, but how can you seriously tell these are fakes? holy cow they look real
[/quote]

The 10.5 looks off on the RBZ and the surfeit adapter letters look to be too big on the 910.

Edit: also the alignment aid on the RBZ is crooked.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

The improvements in counterfeiting is scary.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

That 910 is crazy good. Makes me wonder how many fakes there are on courses everyday and people have no idea.

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

A friend received a TaylorMade driver for Christmas that turned out to be fake...

Here's the amazing part....his wife purchased it from a big box national golf retailer - IN THE STORE.

He took it in to get a grip put on and the fitter/ tech told him it was fake. Wife produced the receipt showing it was purchased at the store and the salesman actually remembered her.....apparently caused a fit with management.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1390567494' post='8522461']He took it in to get a grip put on and the fitter/ tech told him it was fake. Wife produced the receipt showing it was purchased at the store and the salesman actually remembered her.....apparently caused a fit with management.
[/quote]

That's frightening. Hopefully they replaced the club for a genuine one. I would have thought most big retailers get their stock from OEM's but I guess there are stores that use 3rd party suppliers?

It is scary how closely they resemble the real thing. But to be honest, both real and fake clubs are made in China but different factories correct? Obviously the ones made in the counterfeit factory don't have the same quality control and are just out there to pump as many counterfeits into the market.
And if they continue to manufacture the clubs in China, counterfeiting will not end.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Man, that 910 is scary good. I'm always skeptical about used stuff. Now even more so. I'm glad I have decided to stop ho'ing! Hopefully that will slow down my used club buying!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='chip75' timestamp='1390577622' post='8523343']
[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1390567494' post='8522461']He took it in to get a grip put on and the fitter/ tech told him it was fake. Wife produced the receipt showing it was purchased at the store and the salesman actually remembered her.....apparently caused a fit with management.
[/quote]

That's frightening. Hopefully they replaced the club for a genuine one. I would have thought most big retailers get their stock from OEM's but I guess there are stores that use 3rd party suppliers?
[/quote]

They did replace it but it was such a good fake that the store manager thought it was genuine.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

The only thing that gave away the 910 to me was the actual headshape at adress.

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1390567494' post='8522461']
A friend received a TaylorMade driver for Christmas that turned out to be fake...

Here's the amazing part....his wife purchased it from a big box national golf retailer - IN THE STORE.

He took it in to get a grip put on and the fitter/ tech told him it was fake. Wife produced the receipt showing it was purchased at the store and the salesman actually remembered her.....apparently caused a fit with management.
[/quote]

I know there is no good way for me to question the validity of this post without coming off like a jerk, so I apologize beforehand. But, why is it that anytime on this site something like this pops up, there is always one vague refrence to a friend's horror story relating to the subject? I am happy you didn't directly name the retailer, but wish these stories would be accompanied with more details. Otherwise, the skeptic in me is left with more questions than answers. I'd say this story is better left to be told by the friend here in a public forum, for fear of the facts being blurred with hyperbole.

*edit- typo

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1390588837' post='8524559']
It is scary how closely they resemble the real thing. But to be honest, both real and fake clubs are made in China but different factories correct? Obviously the ones made in the counterfeit factory don't have the same quality control and are just out there to pump as many counterfeits into the market.
And if they continue to manufacture the clubs in China, counterfeiting will not end.
[/quote]

Because.....nobody can counterfeit clubs somewhere else?

[quote name='ctmason_98' timestamp='1390595513' post='8525141']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't say that but I'll guarantee you that is where the majority of fakes come from. Wouldn't they focus their efforts on where the source of the majority of counterfeits come from which is the same country where companies manufacture their clubs as well?

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1390594910' post='8525069']

[/quote]

I know there is no good way for me to question the validity of this post without coming off like a jerk, so I apologize beforehand. But, why is it that anytime on this site something like this pops up, there is always one vague refrence to a friend's horror story relating to the subject? I am happy you didn't directly name the retailer, but wish these stories would be accompanied with more details. Otherwise, the skeptic in me is left with more questions than answers. I'd say this story is better left to be told by the friend here in a public forum, for fear of the facts being blurred with hyperbole.

*edit- typo
[/quote]

It's probably not getting fakes through a supplier. People introduce fakes into the supply chain by walking in with the fake, claiming that it was a gift or something and the loft or flex is wrong, and the retailer swaps it with a genuine product. It's probably not overly common, but it happens.

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1390596978' post='8525283']

[/quote]

*edit- typo
[/quote]

It's probably not getting fakes through a supplier. People introduce fakes into the supply chain by walking in with the fake, claiming that it was a gift or something and the loft or flex is wrong, and the retailer swaps it with a genuine product. It's probably not overly common, but it happens.
[/quote]

There's lots of reasonable explanations that exempt the retailer, or maybe the fitter/ tech was wrong and should have kept his mouth shut. None of this was the point of my post.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='ctmason_98' timestamp='1390595513' post='8525141']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It seems everyone has sent the machinery to China to build the clubs so I guess the answer is NO. It is crazy what greed can set us up for.

[/quote] ICounterfeit manufacturing is not confined to China.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

There is no reason for any to be surprised and there is no reason for anyone to ever get screwed. The OEM's have gone out of their way for several years telling everyone to only purchase from authorized dealers. There is a huge market for these clubs because the world is full of idiots always looking for that deal too good to be true. I have zero sympathy for anyone that ends up with counterfeit clubs.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1390681648' post='8531015']
[/quote] ICounterfeit manufacturing is not confined to China.
[/quote]

Again, if you read my other post I didn't say it was. I said China as an example b/c that is where the majority of counterfeit clubs are produced, a very large majority.

China is the #1 source for a lot of counterfeit products, not just golf equipment. Fake apple stores, fake luxury goods, the list goes on and on.

I get what your saying. I'm coming from a different angle. When I was touring a foundry In Singapore that contracted to produce heads for a major brand name. I walked by a wooden crate half full of driver sized heads. I asked what they were and the supervisor replied those do not meet the specifications of our contract and they will be sold to a company that will re-market them as to the needs of their clientele. "Huh...what does that mean?".....no reply.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1390671774' post='8530043']

It is crazy what greed can set us up for.
[/quote]

Great point here. Greed aka buying clubs online and saving a few bucks versus purchasing from your local shops or golf courses is why some people get into this mess. Cheap clubs and good online deals are nice but support where you play. Buy your stuff from your local courses and local shops and you can be guaranteed you're getting the real deal.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1390693855' post='8532331']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1390671774' post='8530043']
It is crazy what greed can set us up for.
[/quote]

Great point here. Greed aka buying clubs online and saving a few bucks versus purchasing from your local shops or golf courses is why some people get into this mess. Cheap clubs and good online deals are nice but support where you play. Buy your stuff from your local courses and local shops and you can be guaranteed you're getting the real deal.
[/quote]

Not to mention the companies greed for sending the lines over there in the first place and opening themselves up to huge losses from counterfeiters.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1390685514' post='8531427']
I get what your saying. I'm coming from a different angle. When I was touring a foundry In Singapore that contracted to produce heads for a major brand name. I walked by a wooden crate half full of driver sized heads. I asked what they were and the supervisor replied those do not meet the specifications of our contract and they will be sold to a company that will re-market them as to the needs of their clientele. "Huh...what does that mean?".....no reply.
[/quote]

Sad, the very factories signed on to produce the clubs for OEM's are selling those that fail specifications out the back door. That means many get an identical OEM head that doesn't perform.

For them to basically admit this to you is scary stuff. OEM's should have a man at the factory and contracts should be such to prevent this from happening.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[/quote]

*edit- typo
[/quote]

The very reason I didn't name the retailer or location is because I was not there. I never saw the club. All I know is what I was told and I'll say that I believe my friend....I've never known him to lie.

I can think of many ways a fake could get into the supply chain but have no idea how this happened.

As to tech? I don't know what to say about his revelation. Apparently the lettering was a little different.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade