2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Witnessing a Hole In One.

Agent Jim

Today I got to see a buddy hit a hole in one. I have to say at the moment it felt just as good as when I hit mine. I was absolutely ecstatic for him;i t was just awesome. He is down on vacation and I treated him out for a round. He is a good golfer and great guy.

Have you ever witnessed a hole in one? How did you feel?

His father in law was playing with us and the both of us already have had aces, so it was just pure jubilation. I can see people having mixed feelings if they have never had one. Kinda like 'i'm happy for him, but what about one for me!' haha.

1620648_10201361589586756_1077900675_n.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you. My Fire Chief hit one from about 180. Bounced once and dropped right in. I was more excited about it than he was. I took the ball and scorecard and had it framed for him along with a photo of him on the hole.

I have seen pros hit them.

I have seen two friends get them.

And I have missed by inches. (other than one single 60 yarder I sank on a temp green at an executive course - some say it is still an ace but I would much prefer to have one on a real green)

Congrats to you and your buddy. (You for being such a great friend and him for being so lucky!)

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I haven't witnessed one yet. I did witness an eagle-2 that was pretty sweet--if I had to guess, probably about 110 yards or so. I think I was just as excited as he was.

Callaway X2 Driver
Callaway X2 4W & Hybrid
Mizuno 850 forged irons, KBS CT Light
Cleveland 588RTX Black 50, 55, 60 (bent to MY standards...'sup?)
Callway Chrome Soft
Taylormade C79 Putter

I witnessed the President of the company that I used to work for make an ace for $10K. Wasn't all that excited for him...lol.

Played with a buddy that made one. Couldn't see it go in and couldn't be 100% until we got up to the hole. Was very cool, as it was his first.

Best one was a couple of summers ago. I was playing with one of my best friends and his parents. Playing the 175 yd 8th (?) at the Ridge at Predator. His 74 yr old father gets up and puts a good move on the ball. The rest of us watch as the ball comes in with a nice, soft cut...lands just short...bounces up and tracks on the hole. My buddy, his mom, and I are all cheering for the ball....and finally it goes in....and we erupt. Dad looks over at us like "no big deal". Can't see that far, so didn't see it go in...lol. Walked away like a boss....it was his 7th ace...haha.

Congrats to your bud. Always a cool event.

I've seen a few and had all sorts of reactions.

I've seen two while caddying and I was excited for a little, but it didn't last too long.

I saw my dad get one when I was 14 or so. I wasn't too happy at the time because it was his third and I only had one (still only have one at 22). I wanted to get ahead of him so badly and I regret not being all that excited, but I'm too competitive apparently.

I saw one in college on the second hole I was playing with a guy and his elderly dad. There was a temporary tee and he asked if I knew the distance and I just guessed what seemed right. The guy hits it right at the flag and we don't see it land. We look all around the green and I ask if he checked the hole. Sure enough the guy slam dunked it, dead center of the hole. All because of my yardage ;) i was excited for him because it was his first and he was with his dad and not a good golfer. However, I sadly didn't get my drink afterwards. Lol

Made one, have seen two. The two I witnessed were on the same hole, which plays uphill and has a little ridge in the middle. We could tell the balls were on a good line, but didn't actually see the ball go in the hole. The groups were excited, but I would like to see one where the ball could be seen going in the hole.

Tied for the lead going into the Par 3 17th.

18 is a forced carry Par 4, layup off the tee, bogey is always a real possibility so there is a lot riding on 17 if things get tight.

It's 206 to front, 214/15 to the pin IIRC. Pin is left center-ish just visibly behind a guarding bunker; you can't see the cup.

I hit a high baby draw at the right side working back towards the middle. Bounces off the fringe, slight left hand kick, it's headed RIGHT at the stick.

CLANK ! Hit's the pin and disappears. Holy Sheite !!! Get up there as fast as I can...can not believe this just happened. Walk up around the side of the bunker and I'll be damned....ball is sitting right there on the green, 2 foot out.. W..t..f. Oh well, tap in for birdie, going to 18 up by 1.

Layup off the tee, pretty solid shot. All I'm thinking is middle the green and two put. Put my club in the bag and turn to walk off the tee.

CLANK ! WTF? Turn around....guy behind me JARS it for eagle and a one shot lead !! I'm so shaken I thin one into 18, off the back. Thinking I gotta hole the bunker shot I chunk and run it but without the run and miss the 25 footer for par.

Lose by 2.

Last HIO I ever wanna see.....

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I have seen 3 while playing from 3 different friends. First one was from about 160 and he flew it into the hole, destroying it to the point we had to call the club house for them to come out and move the hole location. Second was from about 110 and it was a one hop and in. He was on my team that hole so I was really happy about that one. Third was from about 190 and we nearly didn't see that one. There was a drop in the green and then back up hill just a touch to the pin. We saw it drop and he went crazy, was a fun day.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Saw one on an adjacent hole during a scramble once; it happened to be the hole where there was golf trip giveaway for a hole in one, lol. My group didn't see the ball go in the hole, but their group sure made a big effort to show/act like it did. The guy ended up trading the trip in for a certificate for a new set of clubs at a local golf shop. Either a great shot with great timing, or quite possibly the worst scramble cheating that has ever occurred. You be the judge!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have seen a few aces but only 1 while I was playing in the same group. It was by a friend of mine, short par 3 playing about 125 yards, the ball landed way short and just kept rolling until it disappeared in the hole. I was happy for him, still waiting to make one of my own, not sure if it is ever going to happen.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I have seen two maybe three. How do you get a maybe three?? The guy hit his 1st shot in the water then hit his second one in the hole. It was neat to see, cannot say I got all that caught up in the experience.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Got to watch my buddy make his first ace at Arrowhead CC in Myrtle Beach. Hit a great PW right on top of the flag and it hit green and disappeared. One of us in the group, Greg, joked man that might've went in. We get to the green and sure enough no ball so my buddy runs up to the hole to ind his ball. It gets better...

One week later I am playing a round with Greg again at True Blue in Pawleys. We get to the 3rd hole and I hit a great PW. High draw, lands pin high a few feet right of the pin and spins hard left at the hole. We here the *Clank* sounds and I look at Greg and ask "Did that just f***ing go in?!" Sure enough I got my first ace! Greg got to witness two aces in a two week span! Poor guy...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1390656013' post='8528791']
Got to watch my buddy make his first ace at Arrowhead CC in Myrtle Beach. Hit a great PW right on top of the flag and it hit green and disappeared. One of us in the group, Greg, joked man that might've went in. We get to the green and sure enough no ball so my buddy runs up to the hole to ind his ball. It gets better...

One week later I am playing a round with Greg again at True Blue in Pawleys. We get to the 3rd hole and I hit a great PW. High draw, lands pin high a few feet right of the pin and spins hard left at the hole. We here the *Clank* sounds and I look at Greg and ask "Did that just f***ing go in?!" Sure enough I got my first ace! Greg got to witness two aces in a two week span! Poor guy...
[/quote] But how did you really feel as it happened and afterwards when you saw your buddy make an ace and you still hadn't?

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1390656425' post='8528837']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1390656013' post='8528791']

[/quote] But how did you really feel as it happened and afterwards when you saw your buddy make an ace and you still hadn't?
[/quote]

I was super happy for him and the fact I had never witnessed one before was cool too. We enjoyed the drinks afterwards and talked about how close we've all gotten and how he was the first from our group.

He was the first person I told after I made mine, and he followed that up with his 2nd ace a few months ago while playing in a PAT. Damn one uppers!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I have witnessed two; a buddy from work and a gentlemen that joined my group for just that one hole.

True stroy with the work buddy from about 20 years ago. We get to the tee and I strike my ball on the par 3, not a bad shot. He asks me what I hit and he said that he did not own that club because it was a starter set. Only had the even clubs I think and recently took up the game. So he tees up his ball, swings, lands on the green and trickles in. It is nice when you can actually see the ball roll in as opposed to the other hole in one I witnessed.

So I explain the tradition of buying a round at the 19th hole. He mumbles something about the wife complaining about the expense of that. I make him buy me a soda from the machine. In some way I did not want to disturb the golf gods.

Saw a guy I play with occasionally make one last year. I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't have been happier for him. It was just awesome to witness. The expression on his face was just fantastic.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I haven't had one of my own but I was with my buddy when he hit one (his second). I remember going nuts just like he did when we got to the hole and saw it in the cup... We were freaking out but I was able to gather myself enough to make sure to snap a few photos of him grabbing the ball. I actually think I was more excited for him to hit than I will be for my own (I don't get super pumped up often).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Was playing with my dad at Angeles National. On the back side, I believe it was playing 190-something. He fired off, and it went left. There is a hill on the left side, and he said "That'll be an interesting putt."

We get up to the green and only see one ball (just he and I playing). We spent about three minutes looking for his ball, and he just decided to check the cup. Sure enough, the ball kicked right after hitting the hill, and went into the cup. We were both yelling for a good 30 seconds.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

My best golf buddy and I have had two each where he had one and the next week I had one, did that twice about a year apart. When he made his, I told him it was in the hole and he said "no it isn't". He is as blind as a bat and I always have to tell him where his ball is anyway. So we joke about it. Sure enough in the hole. The next week, I hit mine and he is saying "that's in the hole" and I am saying "no it's not, you're blind as a bat" sure enough it was in the hole. Repeat the next year, same conversations, same holes, his were on #8 at our club with 9 iron and mine were on #16 with 5 iron. Dejavu all over again.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1390689602' post='8531875']
I've seen eight, including four in one year. The four in one year was pretty cool. I saw two last year.
[/quote]

I definitely want to be in your foursome!

I have never had one myself. Lipped out an albatross once. As far as I can recall I have only ever seen one when I was a kid. My friends and I were walking up to a tee and a total hack stone cold tops/skulls his tee shot. Careening 140 yards, up the slope in front of the green and into the hole. All I can say to that is WTF! I have seen countless shots holed from the fairway by a lot of good players, but I'll always remember that lousy hack's jackrabbit hole in one!

I have seen a fair number of hole-in-ones. I have seen 2 hole-in-ones happen by two different people in the same round on 2 different occasions.
It is always interesting to see how people are going to react. Some are jumping up and down and others are just flat stunned and speachless.
We had a guy in our MGA group make 2 hole-in-ones during the same round in one of our tournaments. He was not in my group so I did not get to witness that feat.

I've been playing for 27 years, and I have still never had or witnessed an ace. That has to be some kind of record, doesn't it?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x