Actual Distances - Or The Lack Of Therein

Medic

Last summer I used my GPS unit and measured my driving distances for 10 rounds. I honestly went into it thinking that my average might be around 230. To my surprise it was 243. The longest was just over 280 and the shortest was just under 200 - there were more over 230 to 250 than under. It was an interesting experiment. But I should have gone into it knowing. Why?

Because the course I regularly play has some "predictable" holes. For example one par 4 is 388 from the tees I play from. And I am almost always a 9 iron away from the green. I hit my 9 about 135 to 140. A little simple math could have told me how far I was probably hitting the driver.

But....

Many of my friends honestly believed they were hitting the ball between 250 and 300. I am certain they are mistaken because they don't drive it farther than I do and often I am past them by 10 to 20 yards. This essentially means that their "250 to 300" is actually more like 225 to 250.

These guys are honest to a fault. They don't take extra strokes or move their ball. They all carry respectable handicaps. And yet they are completely off base when it comes to knowing their driving distances. Which begs the question; since almost every member on this forum drives the ball between 250 and 300+, are they absolutely 100% certain or is this just their "best guess"?

Call me a skeptic but the average driving distances for some of the best players in the world are:

Webb Simpson - 283.8

Bill Haas - 285.9

Jordan Spieth - 286.3

Sure, there are many pros who are currently averaging around (or just above) 300 yards but am I to believe that almost every member here is hitting it just as far as the greatest players in the world? Perhaps it is 200 downrange and then another 100 out of bounds to the right????

So what fuels the exaggeration?

Ego?

Simply never accurately measured?

Got the numbers off of a indoor monitor?

I am not talking about the downhill, downwind, Colorado drive here. C-mon, fess up. What is your REAL average driving distance?

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right around 240 this month. My 3 wood got confused today and thought it was my driver and went 240 on the dot.

Last Friday helped my stats, I was hitting most in the low 250's. I was just super confident with driver in my hand.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

You could search the site (this comes up every other week) but
1) you only see the long hitters talking about distance. If a 100 guys post about bombing it 320, that sure feels like the whole world is super long. The other 100k posters who drive it the more normal 220 don't post

2) Those PGA stats are averages while most people talk more about a good drives (i.e. they get rid of the holes the tee off with a 3 wood and ignore the bad mishits) they hit

3) Yes a lot of people are clueless. Score card says 400 so if I am hitting my next shot from the 100 marker, I drove it 300 yards. Ignore that 30 yard downhill, the dogleg you can cut, and the tailwind. And the fact that the score card is just off by 20 yards.

I measured a few drives on Saturday and came away with the following:

289 275 279 280 270 250 (hook)

I was swinging the club pretty well and would assume that there are probably pretty close to what I'd normally see on the course. I was likely getting around 8-10 yards of roll so one could assume that my carry distance would be around 265-270, which seems appropriate for a swing speed around 105-107.

For the most part, I hit it passed most of the guys that I play with and I don't consider myself a long knocker. I've played with 1 guy who can just bomb it and it was a sight to behold. It was impressive to watch. I think the whole subtracting what you have into the hole from what's posted on the scorecard contributes quite a bit to inflated driving distances. I see it happen quite a bit, actually. It's almost funny when the tees are moved up 20-30 yards and they don't realize it so their drive of 275 is more like 240-250.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

260 is my avg...and I am probably the longest of the people I play most of my rounds with. If I had to guess what most people drive is around 230-240 to be honest. And yes my buddies will get a hold of one and say they had to have hit it 300...I will hit one up the same distance and they'll say "wow that must be at least 300...and I will tell them no, that drive was 265...

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390877520' post='8547851']
Only "quality shots" measured, over about 100 rounds. A "true average" would probably be 5% less.
[/quote] I really need to remember to use that function more often

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390873999' post='8547311']
Last summer I used my GPS unit and measured my driving distances for 10 rounds. I honestly went into it thinking that my average might be around 230. To my surprise it was 243. The longest was just over 280 and the shortest was just under 200 - there were more over 230 to 250 than under. It was an interesting experiment. But I should have gone into it knowing. Why?

Because the course I regularly play has some "predictable" holes. For example one par 4 is 388 from the tees I play from. And I am almost always a 9 iron away from the green. I hit my 9 about 135 to 140. A little simple math could have told me how far I was probably hitting the driver.

But....

Many of my friends honestly believed they were hitting the ball between 250 and 300. I am certain they are mistaken because they don't drive it farther than I do and often I am past them by 10 to 20 yards. This essentially means that their "250 to 300" is actually more like 225 to 250.

These guys are honest to a fault. They don't take extra strokes or move their ball. They all carry respectable handicaps. And yet they are completely off base when it comes to knowing their driving distances. Which begs the question; since almost every member on this forum drives the ball between 250 and 300+, are they absolutely 100% certain or is this just their "best guess"?

Call me a skeptic but the average driving distances for some of the best players in the world are:
Webb Simpson - 283.8
Bill Haas - 285.9
Jordan Spieth - 286.3

Sure, there are many pros who are currently averaging around (or just above) 300 yards but am I to believe that almost every member here is hitting it just as far as the greatest players in the world? Perhaps it is 200 downrange and then another 100 out of bounds to the right????

Ego?

I am not talking about the downhill, downwind, Colorado drive here. C-mon, fess up. What is your REAL average driving distance?
[/quote]

I think one possible explanation is that guys on the PGA Tour aren't out there playing longball. If you want to see people crush it, go watch a web.com, D1 college, or high level amateur tournament. I think you'll see a lot more guys well over 300 yards on lesser tours where accuracy may not be as important.

So to say that because the big boys on tour aren't all super long, therefore the better than average amateurs on this site are all exaggerating is not really accurate, in my opinion.

I've never played with anyone from WRX, but I have no doubt that plenty of us here can hit the ball over 300 on average.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1390876932' post='8547745']
1) you only see the long hitters talking about distance. If a 100 guys post about bombing it 320, that sure feels like the whole world is super long. The other 100k posters who drive it the more normal 220 don't post

2) Those PGA stats are averages while most people talk more about a good drives (i.e. they get rid of the holes the tee off with a 3 wood and ignore the bad mishits) they hit

3) Yes a lot of people are clueless. Score card says 400 so if I am hitting my next shot from the 100 marker, I drove it 300 yards. Ignore that 30 yard downhill, the dogleg you can cut, and the tailwind. And the fact that the score card is just off by 20 yards.
[/quote]

I agree, i've said this probably 200 times but i think there are more comments questioning people's claims of distance then there are actual claims. Also as mentioned the longer are more likely to post. There are 170K members here, i'm sure many don't want to post they drive it 220 thinking others will think they aren't manly enough or whatever

But still, i think people are more honest then they get credit for. We did a thread maybe 2 years ago asking how far you hit your 7 iron (it was a poll) and i think the answer was 150-160....which isn't crazy. In fact it's 50-60 yards easy behind how far i hit my 7 iron lasers with a smooth effortless tempo

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390873999' post='8547311']

Ego?

[/quote]

These threads do indeed come up a lot and I am continually surprised that people who do not hit the ball '300yds' continually call into question the veracity of those who are long hitters of the ball. Especially when they take a condenscending tone.

Your experience with you and your mates is NOT representative of all recreational golfers and certainly not representative of the very very small percentage players on this site who can hit their drives a long way.

I do not hit it remotely close to 275-300 and in my 100+ rounds this year I only played with 3 guys who could consistently hit a 300yd drive, yet I do believe the vast majority of users on here when they happen to mention driver length, especially those with an established history here. Like any thread, those who contribute are self-selecting and typically those who have some larger connection to the subject. Look who posts and you will find it's now where near this mass number of players.

You need to move beyond your myopic thinking on this subject. As do all the others who seem to have trouble believing there is a small subset of golfers who can flat out smoke it. That small subset being a higher proportion on a golf enthusiast forum.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1390878576' post='8548047']
[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1390876932' post='8547745']

[/quote]

I agree, i've said this probably 200 times but i think there are more comments questioning people's claims of distance then there are actual claims. Also as mentioned the longer are more likely to post. There are 170K members here, i'm sure many don't want to post they drive it 220 thinking others will think they aren't manly enough or whatever

But still, i think people are more honest then they get credit for. We did a thread maybe 2 years ago asking how far you hit your 7 iron (it was a poll) and i think the answer was 150-160....which isn't crazy. In fact it's 50-60 yards easy behind how far i hit my 7 iron lasers with a smooth effortless tempo
[/quote]pffff........you have jacked up lofts. BLADE-4-LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I agree most normal hitters just don't post their numbers. Its funny that "normal joe/ stiff and under" is the sub-forum, when that is actually where most golfers fit. The bottom line is there are a bunch of good golfers on this forum. I just aspire to be like them. Until then, its 240 in the rough for me!

PING G25 4-UW CFS

Only "quality shots" measured, over about 100 rounds. A "true average" would probably be 5% less.
[/quote]What program is that?

Taylormade R1 10°
Taylormade RBZ 15°
Adams A4R 19°

Ping S55 3-P
Vokey SM9 52° 58°

Bettinardi Studio Stock 9

[quote name='pkwilli1999' timestamp='1390879628' post='8548185']
[/quote]What program is that?
[/quote]golfshot app

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1390878990' post='8548111']

You need to move beyond your myopic thinking on this subject. As do all the others who seem to have trouble believing there is a small subset of golfers who can flat out smoke it. That small subset being a higher proportion on a golf enthusiast forum.
[/quote]

Seeing as how I currently play in two separate leagues here in Florida with a total of about 150 golfers and I am in the top 10 for driving distance in both I am amazed that this place has somehow managed to gather so many bombers. Anything is possible I guess.....

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390880279' post='8548245']
[/quote]

Seeing as how I currently play in two separate leagues here in Florida with a total of about 150 golfers and I am in the top 10 for driving distance in both I am amazed that this place has somehow managed to gather so many bombers. Anything is possible I guess.....
[/quote]But the fact is it really doesn't have any impact on our game. If you have been around here long enough you know they people's opinions you can really trust. It's why I constantly remind everyone how I am an awful golfer who average 240y drives, with a fist pumping 255 yarder on occasion. Where is my tail wind?

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sure in the same way I referenced seeing 3 genuine 300 yarders all year. I play mainly public Bay Area courses, where I'd guest most people I golf with when I join them as a single are shooting well into the 90s. It does not mean the average score from players here isn't much much lower. Same with length. It doesn't make the ratios here any less plausible.

Oh and not to go all ad hominem here, but to be a Top 10 driver in distance out of 150 golfers when you're good for 240 something off the tee? I'm not Top 10 hitting 240 something out of the 40 guys we have playing tournies once a month. That's probably not helping your inability to believe folks when they say how far they hit it ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[/quote]

[/quote]

We believe you.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1390881396' post='8548395']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sure in the same way I referenced seeing 3 genuine 300 yarders all year. I play mainly public Bay Area courses, where I'd guest most people I golf with when I join them as a single are shooting well into the 90s. It does not mean the average score from players here isn't much much lower. Same with length. It doesn't make the ratios here any less plausible.

Oh and not to go all ad hominem here, but to be a Top 10 driver in distance out of 150 golfers when you're good for 240 something off the tee? I'm not Top 10 hitting 240 something out of the 40 guys we have playing tournies once a month. That's probably not helping your inability to believe folks when they say how far they hit it ;)
[/quote]

I will get outdriven now and then in my leagues but most of the time I am in front. (Not by too far - often less than a full club's distance) Both leagues are made up of mostly 40 and 50 somethings like myself.

There is one factor that I guess really must be considered; the course condition. I played Champions Gate yesterday and it was in pristine condition. The fairways were shaved down low and were fairly hard. It was definitely easier to get a little more distance in that sort of condition. Probably added 10 to 20 yards - I was still well under 300 but was out there far enough to get some GIRs. The longest (brute of a) par 4 was playing 434 yards. The wind was helping as a storm (actually the cold front coming through here) was blowing in. I hit a really pure drive and ended up 157 away according to my laser. That was by far my longest drive of the day. Some wind help and a nice rollout netted this drive. (Sadly I pulled the iron and ended up left of the green - got a decent chip and then two putted for a bogey, let us never speak of it again...)

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1390881609' post='8548411']

We believe you.
[/quote]

You always openly challenge the integrity of someone who you know little or nothing about or do you just do it in the courageous fashion of online posting where you can remain hidden and cowardly?

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390882767' post='8548525']

We believe you.
[/quote]

You always openly challenge the integrity of someone who you know little or nothing about or do you just do it in the courageous fashion of online posting where you can remain hidden and cowardly?
[/quote]

Bwoop bwoop irony meter fire in sector 7 . . .

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1390883339' post='8548567']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390882767' post='8548525']
We believe you.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bwoop bwoop irony meter fire in sector 7 . . .
[/quote]

Lol. Nice.

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

This gets asked ALOT and the bottom line the vast majority of the time, people simply don't understand how to do the math.

It's really that simple. Card says 400 yard hole, tee shot to 150 marker. 250 yard drive right?

Almost never. Most don't understand how a course or a hole is measured, how the line from tee to green is calculated or any of the details in between.

Lastly, most people only average their longest drives. The hooks into OB and tops and sky balls seem to fall from memory. Forget about slope an/or elevation.

But if it makes you feel better, most people (Ams) think I drive it 350. :)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

My carry distances from last season. I *hope* to be atleast 10 - 15 yards longer this year

[attachment=2042093:screenshot-1390884681971.png]

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

[quote name='LiveWire' timestamp='1390886213' post='8548803']
Maybe we should add painted markers on the cart paths indicating distance from tee. Just like we have distance to center of green.
[/quote]

The green doesn't move though. The tees do, however. I mean we are talking as much as 30-40 yards at some of the courses that I play.

Best way to do this is to just laser back to the tee from your ball or use a GPS device that allows you to mark the position from which you teed off as well as the position where the ball ended up.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1390878046' post='8547955']
[/quote] I really need to remember to use that function more often
[/quote]

It's a touch awkward with GolfShot, so I now use my GPS Watch for distance and just plug it into GolfShot when I record scores. The convenient thing about it, is I can input distance anytime on GolfShot, it doesn't necessarily have to be input into the correct hole.

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390882535' post='8548501']
I will get outdriven now and then in my leagues but most of the time I am in front. (Not by too far - often less than a full club's distance) Both leagues are made up of mostly 40 and 50 somethings like myself.

[/quote]

I think the disconnect you're observing is an "age thing". When I'm in Florida and playing most with guys who are in their 40's-70's, I'm as long or longer than most of them ... at 240-245 yards. If I end up with a group of guys 30 & under, different story.

Guys who are over 40 grew up without the advantage of "straight golf balls" and high COR Titanium Drivers. Most of those guys never learned to smash the ball, because that just wasn't productive with the equipment we learned on.

The guys who grew up with high-tech equipment, learned to hit it hard from the first time they picked up a club.

I was like many others and questioned the distance claims of guys on Internet Forums, but if you play with the under 35 crowd, especially some of the young kids 15-25, you'll find there's always someone in the group who can crank it 275+ and some even farther.

All that said, I don't think there are many guys who can consistently hit it 300+ in the fairway ... that's just not logical, given the statistics on the PGA Tour and the margin of L/R error when you hit the ball that far.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390908567' post='8549327']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1390882535' post='8548501']

[/quote]

I think the disconnect you're observing is an "age thing". When I'm in Florida and playing most with guys who are in their 40's-70's, I'm as long or longer than most of them ... at 240-245 yards. If I end up with a group of guys 30 & under, different story.

Guys who are over 40 grew up without the advantage of "straight golf balls" and high COR Titanium Drivers. Most of those guys never learned to smash the ball, because that just wasn't productive with the equipment we learned on.

The guys who grew up with high-tech equipment, learned to hit it hard from the first time they picked up a club.

I was like many others and questioned the distance claims of guys on Internet Forums, but if you play with the under 35 crowd, especially some of the young kids 15-25, you'll find there's always someone in the group who can crank it 275+ and some even farther.

All that said, I don't think there are many guys who can consistently hit it 300+ in the fairway ... that's just not logical, given the statistics on the PGA Tour and the margin of L/R error when you hit the ball that far.
[/quote]

The irony is that most of the players in my leagues who are younger are relatively new. They will occasionally stripe one really long but odds are it is going offline. Better a 230 dead center fairway hit than a 300 yard oops. Just ask Gary Woodland about that one.

But your final statement is dead on and has been my point all along. Unfortunately some Canadian typo tough guys decided to put in their 1.5 cents Canadian and have a hard time swallowing this concept. Sorry but I just don't grasp the idea that people come to online forums obviously looking to cause/stir trouble. This is what happens when parents don't properly monitor their kids' online activities......

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Don't believe I have ever played with someone who could hit a 300 yard drive.
It is a small percentage of the golf world who can hit it that far, but I know it happens.
Was putting out on a hole of about 300 yards last summer when a ball landed pin high on the fringe.
First reaction is "where did that come from", but it was the group behind us.
Of course, that drive was at least 40-50 yards longer than anyone else in the group.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant