How many golf balls lost per round?

jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Posts: 193 ✭✭
Just wondering how many balls do you lose per round and what is your handicap? I am a 15 handicap and lose 3 or 4, but generally play a course that either has 15 holes with water or a course with narrow holes and lots of houses. One more thing, I play south Texas where 15 miles per hour winds is a non windy day for us. It's usually 20 mph plus winds as the norm.
Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Comments

• Fourmyle of CeresFourmyle of Ceres Unregistered Posts: 7,829
    My handicap is 16 and last time I kept track for a while (not recently) it worked out to just about one ball every 27 holes (1-1/2 rounds) on average.

But they come in bunches. I'll play 6-8 rounds without losing a ball then lose a sleeve of them over a 5-hole stretch or something ridiculous like that.

All that's assuming I'm playing golf either in a game against someone or keeping score. If I'm out by myself killing time behind a bunch of slow threesomes and foursomes I'll hit all sorts of extra shots. Including some I wouldn't attempt "for real". That tends to lose balls. I use cheap Surlyn X-Outs and if one of those extra shots goes off in the woods I don't even go look for it since the ball only cost me 70 or 80 cents and I have hundreds of them at home. But even in those solo rounds I very seldom lose the one ball I'm playing all the way from tee to green and keeping score on.

Our course has 27 holes. Two of the Par 5's have approach shots over water. Two Par 3's are played across lakes and a couple more have water off to one side or the other. But no lateral water hazards or "environmentally sensitive areas", no wetlands and only a handful of holes have any OB stakes (those are well away from the line of play. So you have to play pretty bad to lose a ball on our course.
  • GWDGWD garywdixon Members Posts: 1,666
    edited Feb 3, 2014 #3

Just wondering how many balls do you lose per round and what is your handicap? I am a 15 handicap and lose 3 or 4, but generally play a course that either has 15 holes with water or a course with narrow holes and lots of houses. One more thing, I play south Texas where 15 miles per hour winds is a non windy day for us. It's usually 20 mph plus winds as the norm.

My home course has twelve holes with tight OB (backyards and/or high fences) and eleven holes with water hazards, some that cross the fairway a couple of times. Seven holes have both.

The course is located in a wind tunnel called the Carquinez Straits. Travis AFB is there because the winds make landing those huge AF planes a "breeze". Sometimes the wind is strong enough to bring those planes to full stall and they just land vertically (well, a bit of an exaggeration).

If I finish a round with the same ball that I started with it is a miracle. I should have any such sacred ball bronzed and put in my trophy case. That darn case is still empty.

To answer the OP's question, a guess would be 3 balls per round find an unfortunate end. The lost balls are not as much a concern to me as are the penalty strokes.
    > Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
    > GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
    > XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
    > Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
    > Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
    > Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
    > Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    I am pushing an 18 HCP but play a couple of very challenging courses on a regular basis. During my first few rounds of the season I may loose a sleeve per round. By late Summer I typically lose a ball each round.
  • EJ MacEJ Mac Getting Closer Members Posts: 3,019
    I somehow ended up back in suckville and have lost 20 in the last 2 rounds on some very tight and unforgiving courses. If I were playing for S*** I would not get a sniff as of late.
    Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
    RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
    909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
    5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
    Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
    34" C&L 355g Beached
    WITB Link
  • ocburg17ocburg17 Members Posts: 1,292 ✭✭
    1 lost ball per 9 is pretty standard for me depending on the course. I like to challenge myself too much sometimes. I'm currently a 12HC, working down.
    Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
    Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
    Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid Diamana S+ 82
    Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
    Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
    Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56
    Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
    Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue
  • avguyavguy Replacement Player Sonoran Desert, AZMembers Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    Not a H.C. player at all, but still love playing. On the rotation of four courses or so I play, I avg. about 1-2 balls lost/round. But, I also find the same.

What sux in my play and ball tracking - I rarely lose them in water hazards. Most bounce or roll oddly off some tree branch, and just nestle down in leaves or scruggy rough. Unless I walk over them, step on them - they're Gone!
    BAG ONE:                                                                                                                     BAG TWO:
    D-Titleist 917 D2  or 910 D2                                                                                           D-Srixon Z355 
    3-TM RBZ ts                                                                                                                   3-TM R11ti
    H-Titleist 915 H1 17, Titleist 816  H1 21, Bridgestone Precept ECU 25                        H-TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21, Cobra AC 25
    I - TM M5 5-PW Modus 105S                                                                                        I - TM P790 5-PW KBS CTLS
    W- Mizuno 52, Vokey SM6 58                                                                                       W- Mizuno 53, & 58
    P-Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                                         P-Guerin TS Black 370

• SanzabarSanzabar Members Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I play to a 8... and I normally will lose a max of one ball per 18.
    Ping G400 Max w/Evolution II 569
    Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
    Nike Vapor Speed 23*
    TaylorMade P790
    Nike Engage 56/60* & Callaway PM Grind 64*
    Nike Method Origin B1-01 Custom

#Colts #ForTheShoe
  • backteesbacktees Posts: 866
    On average maybe one ball per round which causes me such an ugly double-bogey every now and then....
  • CallawayKid86CallawayKid86 Proud Member of Big Blue Nation!! Members Posts: 3,332 ✭✭
    I am an 18 index. I typically lose 2-3 per round on my home course and only 1 of those is generally lost in the trees. We have dense rough and an irrigation issue so the course is typically soggy in the mornings. I will lose at least 1-2 balls that are right off the fairway. I also hit the ball really high so that doesn't help with plugging. Last time I played I almost lost one right in front of the green. Plugged down so deep the mud started filling back in on top of the ball.
    Royal Collection CV Pro 390 10* W/ Matrix F7M2
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto
    Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
    Tour Edge Exotics Xtreme CB 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Fourteen RM22 50* W/ Aldila RIP SLT 115
    Cleveland RTG+ DSG 54*+60* W/ Aldila RIP SLT 115
    MacGregor Ironmaster IM Putter
    Bag - Honma Mini Staff
    Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane
  • madaboutgolfmadaboutgolf Members Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    playing off 14 at the moment, sometimes I can play 3 or 4 rounds with one ball and then lose three the next game ?
    Taylormade M2 D type 12*
    Taylormade M2 3 wood
    Taylormade M4 5 wood
    Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid/Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
    Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
    Callaway sure out 58* wedge
    Taylormade Burner speed/RBZ soft balls
    Odyssey 7s black
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,697 mod
    edited Feb 3, 2014 #12
    5 handicap and I may lose a ball every 15 rounds (mainly in the water when it can't be retrieved).
  • minimal45minimal45 Walking Golfer Members Posts: 1,146 ✭✭
    I'm a 16 and I will go long stretches without losing a ball. I once played all summer and only lost 2. Not a long hitter maybe that's why I never lose any.
    Minimalist Bag
    Adams Idea a12 OS 3 Hybrid
    Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax QL 4 Ironwood
    Nike Slingshot HL 8 Iron and AW
    Pro Edge Excel L1 Putter
    Titleist NXT Tour Ball
  • BillyZ2BillyZ2 Posts: 5,248
    13 hc, on avg, probably two balls.
  • GbyeballGbyeball Members Posts: 2,394
    I can be Jekyl and Hype when it comes to loosing balls. I can go long stretches loosing maybe one ball every 2 rounds or better. Then I can just lose my swing and it could be 2-3 balls that round. My home course is on the tight side with water hazards on 10 holes. My league cap is an 8.
    Ping Rapture V2
    Ping G15, four wood
    Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
    Ping G25 - 4 to PW
    Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
    Scotty newport
  • TerpTerp Members Posts: 268
    12 hcp - lose more early in the season and then late in the season after leaves fall. Most of the time I lose 1 or none during the rest of the year.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,241 ClubWRX
    Assuming we're not talking about balls lost in the rough or leaf covered balls but generally 1 every two rounds. The longest without losing a ball was just over 3 rounds. I cursed myself announcing that on the first tee. Stupid me.
  • doubleBZeedoubleBZee Members Posts: 1,633
    I would say 0-3 depending on where I play. The courses near me are pretty open with most hazards left. I tend to keep that side out of play. If I travel and I am not familiar with a course I may lose more.
    Titleist 915 9.5 - Speeder 757
    TM Burner TP 3 - BB 83
    Titleist 712 AP2 - S400
    Vokey Wedges
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,175 ✭✭
    13.9 (although I have no idea how, but that's a different story) - about 4 a round. Not always OB, but in deep rough or leaves where I don't want to waste anyone's time looking for it for more than a minute or two.
  • WormJonesWormJones Members Posts: 180
    GWD wrote:

My home course has twelve holes with tight OB (backyards and/or high fences) and eleven holes with water hazards, some that cross the fairway a couple of times. Seven holes have both.

The course is located in a wind tunnel called the Carquinez Straits. Travis AFB is there because the winds make landing those huge AF planes a "breeze". Sometimes the wind is strong enough to bring those planes to full stall and they just land vertically (well, a bit of an exaggeration).

If I finish a round with the same ball that I started with it is a miracle. I should have any such sacred ball bronzed and put in my trophy case. That darn case is still empty.

To answer the OP's question, a guess would be 3 balls per round find an unfortunate end. The lost balls are not as much a concern to me as are the penalty strokes.

Where are you playing near Travis? just curious
  • GWDGWD garywdixon Members Posts: 1,666
    WormJones wrote:

GWD wrote:

Where are you playing near Travis? just curious

Green Tree in Vacaville. It is a little (OK, pitiful) muni-style course owned by a highway construction company. It weaves through a retirement community.

There are far better choices in Fairfield, Napa, and Brooks (Yocha DeHe).
    > Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
    > GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
    > XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
    > Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
    > Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
    > Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
    > Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite
  • bp29bp29 "Be kind & select your words wisely" Members Posts: 730
    I play to a 6 and I'll loses one or 2 depending on the day and sometimes none. I always cringe on the "one hit wonder". New ball never had a chance.
    Putter? Whatever Works
  • Agent JimAgent Jim Members Posts: 2,804
    edited Feb 5, 2014 #23
    When I am playing decent 2-3. Days like Tuesday this week when nothing was going right; 8 in one round. That doesn't happen very often anymore. I play a course that is on the tight side with lots of saw palmetto's. Don't know what a saw palmetto is? Its the black hole for golf balls.
    TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
    TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
    Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
    PING G25 4-UW CFS
    Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
    Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
    WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x
  • Papa JohickPapa Johick My Girl Duffners Members Posts: 4,465 ✭✭
    Agent Jim wrote:

When I am playing decent 2-3. Days like Tuesday this week when nothing was going right; 8 in one round. That doesn't happen very often anymore. I play a course that is on the tight side with lots of saw palmetto's. Don't know what a saw palmetto is? Its the black hole for golf balls.

And those things are mean mothers if you just reach into them not realizing haha
    Forever Changing at this point.......
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,241 ClubWRX
    2...many.
  • nower22nower22 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭
    I'm a high handicap and lose around 8 a round
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    I remember several years ago playing in an outing on a tight course with lots of water. The outing actually had a prize for the golfer that lost the most balls. As I recall the winner lost over 20. Glad I wasn't in that group.
  • Fade to BlackFade to Black Members Posts: 3,776 ✭✭
    Bogey golfer here. Some rounds 1 ball, some rounds 5-6 balls if the driver is misbehaving.

Only ever lose balls off the tee, almost never any other time.

There's a reason I carry a good dozen with me every round image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Driver: Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
    Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
    Irons: Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
    Wedges: Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
    Putter: Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
    Balls: Srixon ZstarXV
  • Jon HJon H Members Posts: 1,632 ✭✭
    I play in central NH, nearly all the courses here are short-ish and tight-ish, lots of wooded areas. My average is 0-2 lost per round, this includes the "Houdini" balls.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
    Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
    Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
    Newport 2 Select
  • I went 3 weeks playing almost everyday with out losing a ball. Lost 2 in one hole tonight. So mad!!! I was at the point that I thought I would never lose one again.
    PING G400 Max 10.5 Driver
    PING G400 SFT 16.0 3 Wood
    PING K15 22.0 7 Wood
    PING I210 4-UW
    PING Gorge Eye 2 Sand and Lob Wedge
    Scottie Cameron Newport
  • relentless76relentless76 Members Posts: 24
    Usually 1 or 2 every other round of golf if I'm playing a course that has alot of water hazards.