2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

It's the journey not the destination.

RRFireblade

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the first phase of golf it’s about golf. Hitting ball after ball on the range like crazy and also rain does not keep off playing a round. It’s about golf.

In the second phase of golf it’s about the HCP. Two or three tournaments a month and also during a practice-round stableford points are counted. It’s about the result.

In the third phase of golf it’s about the whole schmear. Amusement with friend is more important than the game itself and the handicap. Much more matchplay and rarely without a stake. It’s about fun.

I am in the third phase. I wanna have fun. But unfortunately the third phase is not really planned over here in Europe and after the 9[sup]th[/sup] hole all you find is a beverage dispenser with soda, best case.

That’s why I love to play golf in the US because most seem to be oriented on the third, the fun-phase.

phase 1: [b]denial[/b]
[i]i'm around a 10 handicap, give or take. i'd be a good golfer if i practiced my short game.[/i]
meanwhile, i barely broke 90.

phase 2: [b]anger[/b]
[i]this game sucks! i suck! why can't i hit it the same way i just hit that last shot! arrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!![/i]
was in this phase for quite some time, especially early on. sadly, it can still crop up every once in a while.

phase 3: [b]bargaining[/b]
[i]if i trade in this old driver, and get a new one, my pull hook will be a thing of the past, right?[/i] [i]if i trade in my blades and get GI clubs, i'm sure to score better![/i]
never been much of a club ho, so i never really thought i could buy a better game. i did make a few regrettable BST purchases though (some good ones too).

phase 4: [b]depression[/b]
[i]i'll never be good enough to get to scratch. but for the rarest occasions, i can't break 75 anymore. i don't have time to practice anything. i should just give up. sigh.[/i]
hate to admit it, but bad golf has the potential to put me in a bad mood, even now. i'll turn off the lights and sit in the dark brooding. thankfully, the wife doesn't let me stay like that for long. :)

phase 5: [b]acceptance[/b]
[i]i'm happy with my game and my score. it was good just being out here and able to play. i love this game.[/i]
decent golf, with good friends is just an sweet, sweet feeling. good shots are celebrated, bad shots are laughed off. these days, i'm here most of the time. it's a good phase to be in.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1391544934' post='8598005']
phase 1: [b]denial[/b]
[i]i'm around a 10 handicap, give or take. i'd be a good golfer if i practiced my short game.[/i]
meanwhile, i barely broke 90.

phase 2: [b]anger[/b]
[i]this game sucks! i suck! why can't i hit it the same way i just hit that last shot! arrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!![/i]
was in this phase for quite some time, especially early on. sadly, it can still crop up every once in a while.

phase 3: [b]bargaining[/b]
[i]if i trade in this old driver, and get a new one, my pull hook will be a thing of the past, right?[/i] [i]if i trade in my blades and get GI clubs, i'm sure to score better![/i]
never been much of a club ho, so i never really thought i could buy a better game. i did make a few regrettable BST purchases though (some good ones too).

phase 4: [b]depression[/b]
[i]i'll never be good enough to get to scratch. but for the rarest occasions, i can't break 75 anymore. i don't have time to practice anything. i should just give up. sigh.[/i]
hate to admit it, but bad golf has the potential to put me in a bad mood, even now. i'll turn off the lights and sit in the dark brooding. thankfully, the wife doesn't let me stay like that for long. :)

phase 5: [b]acceptance[/b]
[i]i'm happy with my game and my score. it was good just being out here and able to play. i love this game.[/i]
decent golf, with good friends is just an sweet, sweet feeling. good shots are celebrated, bad shots are laughed off. these days, i'm here most of the time. it's a good phase to be in.
[/quote]

Phase 5: acceptance and enjoyment? Or would enjoyment be phase 6?

sure, acceptance and enjoyment. i'm flexible. :)

the one thing i forgot to add in there somewhere: tournament golf. it ratchets everything up 5 notches, the joy and the pain. i'm still learning how to deal with the pressure. it kinda feels like relearning how to play the game (to an extent), with more of a focus on the mental side, rather than the physical side.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'm kind of at a crossroads. I just came back recently after taking several months off of the golf sections of the forum. I've played probably about 10 rounds the past two years. I got burned out, plus had to give up the club due to a move, made the move, had another kid, and have been pursuing an MBA which will be done this May. Before the great slowdown began, I had worked very hard to get down to a 6.6 cap. I was hitting balls at lunch a few days a week and typically played 36 a week through most of the year. Now I don't think I was as good as my cap since I really knew the courses, but I'd break 80 pretty much any round out there.

Right now, I've got the bug again. I had sold most of my equipment at the end of last season to maximize value and just bought some new irons and a driver. I'm waiting for weather to turn here in Nashville to go hit the range and work out some kinks. Last year, I think I played 4 rounds and shot low to upper 90s each time with a good number of penalties. My range plan going into spring is to simply find a repeatable swing, especially with the driver. I just want to work on a stock tee shot that I can repeat pretty consistently. Right now, still without a ton of golf on the horizon I would just like to shoot in the low to mid 80s this season. I would also love to get a little short game touch back. I would like to do lessons with someone like Monte or iteach, but I'll have to find my way again since we're running on a reduced income this year with maternity leave. I just can't convince my wife that's a completely necessary expense

My first son turns 4 late this summer, so I'd like to get him out a few times. Hopefully I've got a good, lifelong playing partner if he likes the game as much as he claims to now. For the future, I'd like to get back to breaking 80 on occasion. The wife and I have agreed that once the kids move out of full time daycare that we'll join another club. I really want to get back to walking during my rounds, playing super early in the morning,say around 5:30 and being able to hit the range for as long as I want.

I think I'll get back to decent golf. I would love to break par someday, but can't guarantee that one. Closest I've been is even on 9 and lowest 18 hole score ever is 76 lots of times. On the round I was even after nine, I shot 5 over on the back with a double on 18. That sucked.

I'm definitely on the acceptance stage. I skimmed through all previous stages because I quickly realized I'm not going to make living out of hitting balls. Too old physically and mentally for that. I tried to practice a lot and then what happened is I get all bruised and sore so it affected life in general. Besides I can't really find time to do much anyway.

So now I count any kind of practice, rounding even TV golf viewing as blessing. :golfer:

[b]Where are you in your golf journey?[/b] Started playing when I was 50 (am 58 now), and knew NOTHING, nothing I tell you! I was given a lot of BAD advice. I am now starting to "get" some things, one of which is a lot of the "experts" don't know what they are talking about, that "conventional wisdom" isn't always correct.

I am passionate about the game. I love to practice. I love to play. I realize more than anything this game is about patience. If you have an ego...leave it at home. This is a game of misses, not perfection. If your misses are tolerable, you'll do okay.

My swing is still a work in progress, but it's slowly getting there.

To me though, golf is a lot more then simply hitting a ball, finding it, and hitting it again. There is a metaphysical quality to the game/practice that I can't articulate in this post.

[b]Where are you headed?[/b] I'd like to get my HI low enough to start playing in some of my state's tournaments.

[b]Will you get there?[/b] I don't see why not.

[b]How much do you care?[/b] Sometimes I think too much, which may be holding me back.

Open the vault and spill yer guts. :)

Where am I? I'm another guy here who started late, 40 and I'm 52 now. Four or five years ago, I was hitting ALOT of balls daily and coincidentally, shot my lowest score (70) from 6200 yards. Sure, I'd like to be able to get to a lower index, but working 46+ hours a week, I'm really just a weekend warrior now in a Sunday men's club. And I'm fine with it. Even on my best days on the course, I'll still need a 46+ hour per week job. But low expectations this year somehow paid off in the club championship.

Where am I headed? Like Sean above, this game has consumed me in a way where years of playing the guitar never did. And I too, would like to attempt some of my state's events. I know my game isn't going to get me in the top brackets, but I'd still like to compete.

Will I get there? I'm not sure what the index cut off is, maybe I could now. If not, I need to improve my putting and hybrids/mid-irons. Just a matter of committing.

How much do I care? At the end of the day, I'm not good enough to get too worked up over it. Sure, I don't like to shoot bad scores, but I find that when I care too much, I'm no fun to play with.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

I started golf too late in life, and have a career already well underway to ever be REALLY good at golf.

My only ambition is to maintain a scratch index and win a club championship at a top course in my province, such as the one i am at now.

Right now i would say i am in the 8-15 range at my club at any given time

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't have any set goals when it comes to golf. I enjoy having a few good scoring rounds a year, and any round where I am consistently striking the ball well I'm happy.

One day, it would be great if my daughter got into the sport and played golf with me, but if she doesn't have the desire I'm not pushing her that way.

I also want to enjoy golf with my father as he heads into his mid 60's and later years.

I believe in getting there is half the fun. I've played this game for 40 years with limited success but it never stopped me from trying to get better. As much as I enjoy getting out 2 or 3 times a week for a round of golf with my friends I still like spending time by myself on and around the practice green. Trying out the latest thing Breen has to offer or maybe something I heard about here or just a random thought that popped into my head. I can spend 3 hours on the practice green and wonder where the time went when I have to leave.

I never let it get to me no matter how good or bad a round is. For me its just the enjoyment of having a club in my hand imagining this great shot im about to hit weather it actually happens or not and mostly it doesn't but on that rare occasion it actually does happen all the bad shots disappear from my mind. There are many people in this world that love the game but are unable to play for one reason or another. They can only watch others play and imagine what it would be like to play.

After 40 years of god knows how many rounds, how many range balls, How many chips and putts in practice Standing on the first tee with my friends taking a few practice swings still gets me as excited as a kid at Christmas.

So to answer your question. For me its journey and I hope I have a long way to go before I reach a destination.

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1391566575' post='8600321']
Will all appropriate respect RR, I'd love to hear about your journey. You're in a stratosphere that many desire to be in. Care to share how you got there?
[/quote]
An excellent question!!

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1391566575' post='8600321']
Will all appropriate respect RR, I'd love to hear about your journey. You're in a stratosphere that many desire to be in. Care to share how you got there?
[/quote]

I'll put something up when I can get to a keyboard. ;) Or I could probably Cut and Post one of a hundred PMs I have in my outbox. ;) Rather type something fresh tho.

I will.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I would say that I am (and would like to stay) in the acceptance stage of my golf game. Being only 19 years young, I feel that I have still of have many decades ahead of me in which I can continue to improve my game.

[b]Where am I headed? -[/b] Up hopefully. My goal is by the end of August I will be able to break 80 on a consistent basis.

[b]Will I get there? -[/b] Yes, as long as I put in the time and effort and I stay healthy (stupid Crohn's disease).

[b]How much do I care? -[/b] Well behind school, family, and friends it is the next biggest thing on my priority list. So, I would say I care quite a bit.

Sometimes I feel " its the journey not the destination" is a load of BS. Without a destination you are wandering around aimlessly in the wilderness.

Sorry but I am in the ANGER stage because it has snowed for 63 days straight ( feels like it ) and I don't think I will every see green grass again.

Great post and topic RR, I will get back to you with an answer when I have calmed down, probably May or June.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391604344' post='8602205']
Sometimes I feel " its the journey not the destination" is a load of BS. Without a destination you are wandering around aimlessly in the wilderness.

Sorry but I am in the ANGER stage because it has snowed for 63 days straight ( feels like it ) and I don't think I will every see green grass again.

Great post and topic RR, I will get back to you with an answer when I have calmed down, probably May or June.
[/quote]

deep breathing (mindful breath) has helped me. creative quietude. chanting monte mantras. endlessly practicing 5 footers on fast carpet. these seem to help me. it's definitely been a rough winter for many of us...

also, it's amazing how well the '5 stages of grief' line up with my personal '5 phases of golf.' :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1391608168' post='8602439']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391604344' post='8602205']

[/quote]

deep breathing (mindful breath) has helped me. creative quietude. chanting monte mantras. endlessly practicing 5 footers on fast carpet. these seem to help me. it's definitely been a rough winter for many of us...

also, it's amazing how well the '5 stages of grief' line up with my personal '5 phases of golf.' :)
[/quote]

Glad for the solid advice and the oppourtunity to thank you for one of the best posts I have ever read " 5 phases" . Seriously considering printing this off and sticking it on my golf wall.

I am in a funk because my buddie informed me last night that our Myrtle Beach trip might not happen. I need to lock myself indoors for a while so I don't go postal.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I guess this might seems trite, but GTFO of Canada!

I don't know how you guys take 5+ months of winter up there.

I'm losing my marbles here in S Jersey because we actually had a winter this year. Although we are having a winter tournament this weekend and it better no snow or I will join you in going postal.

Pretty simple for me.

I used to be a pretty good player.

Now I'm over 40 and cannot beat the kids anymore.

Occasionally -- mostly in a money game -- I'll throw a low round out there.

Now [u]I[/u]'m just trying to maintain some level of respectable golf.

I'll still qualify for my home club's Ryder Cup team....this difference between now and 20 years ago is that instead of being 1st, 2nd or 3rd in qualifying....I'm 8th, 9, or 10th. I was even a Captains pick one year and contributed NOT A SINGLE POINT. That was a good feeling.

Still love the game. If it weren't for driving and putting....I'd actually still be decent.

The End.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[b]Where are you in your golf journey?[/b]

Clearly in the tarnished but not quite full on golden years. I think there's still some wax left in the bottom of the candle jar.

[b]Where are you headed?[/b]

Hoping to lock up my next college degree and then if family life settles and the wife goes for early retirement. (Shes' early 40's but a 20+ years corporate) we've talked about maybe doing a senior tour or something and see the country.

Game wise, it's an evil dichotomy. I feel like my knowledge and experience are really at a pinnacle of a lifetime of competition and practice. Now the struggle is to keep the physical side on par and also fight off the inevitable effects of growing old. I have to work twice as hard to gain half as much, time well tell how ling that can persist but as of now, all is as good as it has ever been[b]

Will you get there?[/b]

I think so. First the first time in a long time, things are following 'a' plan. (knock wood)

[b]How much do you care?[/b]

As I insinuated on the title, I care very much about the process; keep putting in the best possible days and they will turn into weeks, months and years. If I do that than arriving at the correct destination should be automatic.

Now it may not be the destination I meant it to be but it will be the destination that was meant to be. And I'll be quite satisfied with that.

:)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[b][color=#282828]Where are you in your golf journey?[/color][/b]
Assuming it ever stops snowing in Chicago, this will be my 44th season of playing. To say it's been an up and down journey is an understatement. In high school, I was the 70's version of GolfWRX long consistently hitting a persimmon First Flight driver, with an aluminium shaft, over 260 and a handicap in the low single digits. In a college football game, I tore every muscle and ligament in my left shoulder and had the first rebuild. It took almost 3 years to be able to hit a ball over 150 yards and the game was foreign, again.

Over time, I was able to get back to single digits consistently shooting in the 70's with a number of rounds at, but never beating par.

Fast forward to 5 years ago and it sadly happened again. Took a bad fall on the ice and tore everything again. Fortunately with the improvements in surgical techniques, it was a much shorter recovery although I had to start and build a swing, again.

After the second rebuild, my hdcp went to a 24 and it's slowly worked back to it's current point. That was the point when I decided to make a total commitment to improving in every aspect of the game from physical, to stretching, to mental, course strategy, improving the short game (hence DP4), etc.

[b][color=#282828]Where are you headed?[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]My goal is to get to an 8 this year and ultimately shoot under par once. I knocked 4 shots off the handicap last year and think taking off about 3 this year is doable.[/color]

[b][color=#282828]Will you get there?[/color][/b]
Having done it before, I believe it's possible but I need to get smarter and more efficient in practice and improve course management. The shoulder doesn't allow me to hit 250 balls in a range session anymore so every shot has a purpose.

[b][color=#282828]How much do you care?[/color][/b]
[color=#282828]The honest answer is I care too much. Working on that as part of the improvement plan and making sure every round is fun. I've learned to laugh at myself following bad shots...now I'm trying to laugh at myself less often.[/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phase 1: [/background][/size][/color][b]Learning (age 13)[/b]
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]This sport is so much harder than soccer, running, lacrosse and hockey (age 13)[/background][/size][/color]
[i]I wish I had started earlier than 13. Slap shots are way easier than a high draw[/i]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phase 2:: [/background][/size][/color][b] Proficiency (ages 14-18)[/b]
[i]This game is easy, I can shoot 70's blindfolded and break par, I'm going to the show. A three putt is not in my vocabulary. I can get up and down from a ball washer [/i]
[i]I wish I knew then what I know now ... About how good you really need to be, how important the short game is, and course management[/i]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phase 3: [b]Maximum Performance (age 24-25)[/b][/background][/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Well at least I played college golf and get it around like when I was a young pup and didn't know a thing[/background][/size][/color]

[i][color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Two years of beer and golf, a Masters degree and I felt good about my game again. Full of confidence and ability to score in big events. [/background][/size][/color][/i]
[i][color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Why can't the mid-am be 25 and up in Canada like it is everywhere else?[/background][/size][/color][/i]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phase 4: [/background][/size][/color][b]Frustration (ages 26-34)[/b]
[i]This game and my swing suck. Why can't I hit it the same way i just hit it when I was halfway good? Expectations don't match with lack of effort[/i]
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Was in this phase for quite some time, working my arse off at my job out of college, 2 infant daughters, no golf membership. Limited play and practice, missing the game and my university golf buddies[/background][/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Back surgery x 2 late in this phase sure didn't help[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phas[/background][/size][/color][color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]e 5: [/background][/size][/color][b]Back in the saddle (ages 35-40)[/b]
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Was in this phase for a nice 5 year run. Private club membership, playing 50-65 rounds per summer, winning some odd small events and club C's, playing in both Am's and Mid-Am's[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phas[/background][/size][/color][color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]e 6: [b]Full on club juggler (ages 41-43)[/b][/background][/size][/color]
[i]If I trade in four drivers per season and 3 putters and 2 sets of irons, I will find my old self and my smother hook will magically vanish. [/i]
[i]Not winning club C's but top 3 finishes and now missing cuts at bigger events. Playing with my Dad and brother is the most fun[/i]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phase 7: [/background][/size][/color][b]Depression & denial (ages 43-44)[/b]
[i]Looks like I will never be good enough to get back to scratch. Mostly shooting high 70's and can only break par once per year. I have time to practice but I am not making any great strides or if I do they are short lived. I should perhaps give up playing in tournaments and stop playing golf swing and play golf. Playing bad and missing cuts depresses the crap out of me. But, two days later I want to find the next big event to get that rush. My body hurts.[/i]

[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Phase 8: [/background][/size][/color][b]Acceptance (slowly sinking in last 2 years)[/b]
[i]I'm mostly happy with my game and my scores. It is so good to be out for a nice walk with my buddies and enjoy the weather, constant needling and comraderie. I love this game ... even though it is highly likely that 3 or 4 blow up holes will ruin a good round. Solid shots are admired and most awful shots are mocked relentlessly[/i]
[color=#282828][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]My wardrobe and shoe collection make big strides. If you can't be low score you might as well look good.[/background][/size][/color]

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[b]Where are you in your golf journey?[/b]

Currently I'm on my 2nd wind. I grew up in WA state and was a baseball fanatic thanks to Ken Griffey Jr and my formerly beloved Mariners. Literally lived my early years like the movie Sandlot - baseball every day all day at the local park with my buddies. Was very competitive in all sports through middle school, then everyone else hit their growth spurts and I got a bit left behind. That's when I discovered golf. Played casually in 8th and 9th grade at a little par 3 course, then the summer after my freshman year of HS (and a disappointing spring season of baseball) I really got serious about it. Made the golf team sophomore year and was fortunate enough to be a part of a pretty solid team that included Brock Mackenzie (Paige's brother, former #1 amateur in the world, currently playing Canadian Tour) and another guy who played D1 at the U of Washington. With those 2 ahead of me, I worked pretty hard to improve, but didn't really have any idea what I was doing. I've always been self-taught, so my progress has been slow but steady...I figure it out eventually, but it takes me a bit longer than it should. Eventually I played a year of DIII golf...very average I might add, but it was good experience. After I graduated from college I was set on pursuing academia, so golf became just something fun I did on the side, maybe playing 5-10 times a year. I managed to maintain a scoring average in the mid to high 70's, and thanks to much improved physical strength, my game changed quite a bit. I went from a short-hitting, terrible ball striker with a very good short game to a long-hitting, decent ball striker with a mediocre short game (no practice). This made the game fun for me whenever I got the chance to play, but I really didn't take anything in the game too seriously from age 22-30.

I am now 31 and nearing completion of a PhD in Exercise Science at the University of Utah. As a result of this career move, I have time in the summer months to practice and play. Last year I decided I wanted to get back into competitive golf and see what I could do, so I began practicing seriously again and got my handicap from a 4 to a +1 in a few months. I accomplished all my goals for the season last year, and while my finishes at the tournaments I played in weren't great by any means, I made huge improvements in getting back into the competitive scene and gained a lot of confidence about my ability to compete with guys at the D1 level.

[b]Where are you headed?[/b]

My goals for 2014 involve winning at least 1 local event, finishing top 10 in the stroke play and getting through at least one round of match play in our state tourney (MC last summer), and a host of other little goals along the way. Long term, my biggest (realistic) goal right now is qualifying for one of the US Amateurs. If I'm being completely honest, one of my dream/goals is to play in the Masters as an amateur, (which would mean finishing 1st or 2nd in the US Am). I would absolutely love to play professionally, but have miles to go to even consider that, so I am continuing my "real life" career in higher education with the goal of getting as good as I can get and see where that ends up.

[b]Will you get there?[/b]

I completely believe I have the ability to play at the highest levels of amateur golf. I honestly have no idea if I can get beyond that, as I think that would depend on my results at higher levels of am golf. I have no illusions about what it takes to play professionally, and don't want to sound like I am taking lightly how great those guys are. I do know that I have a LOT of room for realistic improvement in my game though, and plan to get to +4 this year. Beyond that, time will tell, both in how much time I can devote to golf and what I can manage to accomplish in tournament play.

[b]How much do you care?[/b]

A LOT. One of the benefits of the 2nd wind is life experience. As a result of what I've done professionally in the past decade, I know so much more about how to set and achieve goals. Looking back at the HS and college version of me, I really had no clue how to get better at golf. I feel like now I know exactly what I need to do and I am very excited to continue the journey!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

It's the journey not the destination.

Nonsense. Just look at Hawaii. JP is not recalling his flight, but the lava flows at the pool.

C'mon, there is a time for shallow hedonism.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Started at age 18, got to a 14 my first year and four years later was at a 2. Stayed between 2 and scratch for 22 years and now 49 years from the beginning, am a shakey 8.

I enjoy the game more than ever.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft