Does Swing Speed Matter?

Hat Trick

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter. If you have a good swing, you can play anything effectively.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Nope, doesn't matter.

Also, keep in mind that (when it comes to golf ball sales) Bridgstone, Callaway, Taylormade, Srixon, whomever... all want to grow up to be Titleist. Each of those brands will say whatever they need to, to try and create their own space in the market. Don't get me wrong, *all* of them make solid products, just take marketing claims with a grain or two of salt, play the best ball you can afford (that also fits your game), and play it consistently throughout the season.

Titleist.

[quote name='Hat Trick' timestamp='1391696444' post='8608893']
Does swing speed matter when choosing a golf ball? Callaway and Bridgestone are marketing that it does, while Titleist is saying it doesn't. My swing speed is in upper 90s with my driver - thoughts, ball suggestions? I am 6 handicap who usually plays V1x or Lethal.
[/quote]

I'd go with Callaway & Bridgestone's opinion ... of course it matters. TItleist admitted a couple of years ago, that the ProV1 wasn't the correct ball for everyone, now they're back pedaling on that claim. 3 Years ago, Titleist Reps were saying unless your swing speed was over about 105, you couldn't take advantage of ProV1's design.

Swing speed makes a huge difference with a Driver. Look at the TaylorMade's new "loft up" campaign. Not everyone can loft up and generate enough power to keep the ball in the air, long enough to deliver maximum distance. Some people are better off with a lower launch and higher spin. If swing speed wasn't relevant to spin, TrackMan wouldn't bother spitting out those #'s.

[b]Spin is a function of AoA, Loft, Swing Speed & ball characteristics.[/b]

Balls do different things, well. I think they can basically be separated into "hard vs soft", "3 piece vs 4/5/6 piece" and "high spin vs. low spin" (admittedly there's some overlap on those distinctions).

I don't think any particular ball will dramatically improve anyone's score, other than perhaps an elite amateur or Tour player. The individual player has to decide if he wants a distance ball or a spin ball and if he prefers a hard feel or soft feel ... there's not much more to it than that.

Personally, I buy whatever 3 Piece ball is available at $20/Dozen or less, in the Spring when I stock up. This year it was Callaway Chrome. Last year, it was Wilson FG Tour. Before that, it was TopFlite Gamers (@ $9.95/Doz.).

I'm not quite sure I understand how anyone can say that swing speed and ball design doesn't have an impact on spin. We all agree that spin influences golf shots, don't we?

[quote name='the.landshark' timestamp='1391702472' post='8609451']
Par 72 = 36 putts; 22 approach shot's/par 3's; 14 driver swings (at most).

Choose a golf ball based (mainly) on driver swing at your own peril. My two cents.
[/quote]

I doubt a 6 Handicap is taking 36 Putts per round. A 6 Handicap would post averages scores around 80-82 and likely average between 30-33 putts per round. So spin would be relevant on about 60% of one's shots.

Effecting 50 shots per round sounds significant to me.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1391700816' post='8609295']
Does swing speed matter when choosing a golf ball? Callaway and Bridgestone are marketing that it does, while Titleist is saying it doesn't. My swing speed is in upper 90s with my driver - thoughts, ball suggestions? I am 6 handicap who usually plays V1x or Lethal.
[/quote]

I'd go with Callaway & Bridgestone's opinion ... of course it matters. TItleist admitted a couple of years ago, that the ProV1 wasn't the correct ball for everyone, now they're back pedaling on that claim. 3 Years ago, Titleist Reps were saying unless your swing speed was over about 105, you couldn't take advantage of ProV1's design.

Swing speed makes a huge difference with a Driver. Look at the TaylorMade's new "loft up" campaign. Not everyone can loft up and generate enough power to keep the ball in the air, long enough to deliver maximum distance. Some people are better off with a lower launch and higher spin. If swing speed wasn't relevant to spin, TrackMan wouldn't bother spitting out those #'s.

[b]Spin is a function of AoA, Loft, Swing Speed & ball characteristics.[/b]

Balls do different things, well. I think they can basically be separated into "hard vs soft", "3 piece vs 4/5/6 piece" and "high spin vs. low spin" (admittedly there's some overlap on those distinctions).

I don't think any particular ball will dramatically improve anyone's score, other than perhaps an elite amateur or Tour player. The individual player has to decide if he wants a distance ball or a spin ball and if he prefers a hard feel or soft feel ... there's not much more to it than that.

Personally, I buy whatever 3 Piece ball is available at $20/Dozen or less, in the Spring when I stock up. This year it was Callaway Chrome. Last year, it was Wilson FG Tour. Before that, it was TopFlite Gamers (@ $9.95/Doz.).

I'm not quite sure I understand how anyone can say that swing speed and ball design doesn't have an impact on spin. We all agree that spin influences golf shots, don't we?
[/quote]

Fully agree with you, Brian, because according to Newton’s second law that the harder we hit the ball the further it will go and that the force experienced by the club is equal to the force experienced by the ball. As a matter of fact the forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction: the least massive object – the ball - receives the greatest acceleration and flies. If the ball does not match does not match the swing speed (in combination with spin, AoA…) it will lead to an over- or under-compression which will cause a loss of distance. So it does make sense to chose "the right" ball.

I have been playing golf since I was 40 and I am now 62. Most members on this site play much more golf than I do and have lower handicap than me, so I try to listen to their opinions, and many do say that swing speed does not matter in the selection of ball that is used. Titleist is saying the same thing. However, from a pure physics point of view, I do not understand how that can be. Precept has a good publication on the science of golf balls, and they believe that swing speed does matter.

Can someone explain to me how swing speed and selection of a golf ball do not have a direct correlation?

[quote name='NJpatbee' timestamp='1391711906' post='8610391']
I have been playing golf since I was 40 and I am now 62. Most members on this site play much more golf than I do and have lower handicap than me, so I try to listen to their opinions, and many do say that swing speed does not matter in the selection of ball that is used. Titleist is saying the same thing. However, from a pure physics point of view, I do not understand how that can be. Precept has a good publication on the science of golf balls, and they believe that swing speed does matter.

Can someone explain to me how swing speed and selection of a golf ball do not have a direct correlation?
[/quote]

They have a direct correlation - see Newtons 2nd law.

[/quote]

At the risk of being redundant, Titleist spent 8-10 years telling people that the Pro V1 was only approporate for players with a 105+ Swing Speed. People wouldn't listen and average golfers still wanted to play the ball ... the ProV1 market share was huge. About 5 years ago, Callaway, Srxion and Bridgestone started taking market share from Titleist, by demonstrating at fitting after fitting, that swing speed is relevant when choosing a golf ball.

Titleist had no where to go. They had been boxed into a corner by the other ball manufacturers. The NxT was losing huge market share and over the last few years, ProV1 started losing market share ... what's Titleist to do? They now claim their premium ball is right for everyone, regardless of swingspeed. A ludicrous contention at best.

Titleist and TaylorMade are both marketing behemoths. Admittedly Titleist is generally a little classier and more subtle, but they're just as aggressive as TaylorMade in their own way. One needs to take what these companies say, with a grain of salt.

I disagree that Driver Spin is as irrelevant as landshark says. Putting yourself in the wrong position with the very first shot of 14 holes is not going to set up a particularly exciting round.

Driver: 915 D3 10.5 @ 12*
Irons: Titleist 716 AP1
Wedges: Vokey SM5
Rescue: 915H 3
Woods: Titleist Wood 916F
Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback

As mentioned, the laws of physics do not take a break because a ball OEM says they do.

That being said, you may find a person who maxes out at 75mph driver speed who LOVES the ProV1. Does it mean that the ball maximizes everything for them? LA, Spin, Feel, etc? Probably not.

I will say this, in all my golf time, I have only talked to ~10 people total who have been fit for a ball via Trackman or Flightscope. About 10 have done the Bridgestone fitting, but did not like the BS offerings and decided to go back to their other favorite ball.

I was fit to a B330 from Bridgestone, and oddly, I had found it to be my best ball through trial and error. That being said, I have shot my three best rounds of golf using ProV1x, Nike 20XI-X, and Callaway Hex Black.

[/quote]

Personal preference is an X factor. Other things to consider are the type of equipment, smash factor, ball flight, etc... Then add in feel off the putter, degree of short game spin and a plethora of other factors.

I'm a woman with a mid to high 80's SS, that sometimes goes over 90. Balls such as Chrome/+, B330-RX and SR1 don't have the pop feel that I like off the driver, while a ProV1 and Z Star XV do, and I get more distance off these balls. I also like the way the ProV1 responds to short chips and pitches around the greens as opposed to other balls. A ProV1 feels "reliable" to me when putting, as I have a better idea how it's going to roll off the putter and I like it's feel off of my milled putter. Then there are other things - I don't like Bridgestone's alignment line (too thick) and I don't like using a Sharpie because it's never as clean. You add in some of these and you get to why one ball "fits" a person's preference.

PING G425 9º Driver w/Mitsubishi C6 Red
PING G25 3W & 2 Hybrid 17º
Epon AF-302 4i-PW w/ TT XP 95
Miura K Grind 52º (TT XP 95), 56º & 64º (TT DG Spinner)
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB34

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1391705321' post='8609749']

Choose a golf ball based (mainly) on driver swing at your own peril. My two cents.
[/quote]

I doubt a 6 Handicap is taking 36 Putts per round. A 6 Handicap would post averages scores around 80-82 and likely average between 30-33 putts per round. So spin would be relevant on about 60% of one's shots.

[/quote]

Respectfully, you missed the point... and *you're* the one that introduced spin into the conversation with your 1st post (#4 above), not the original poster, who started this thread and asked his question.

But back *on topic*. If you hit every green in "regulation" then 2-putt, you'll make par. That's how golf courses are designed, regardless of our handicap factors. The opinion I'm offering the OP, is that he should choose his ball from its performance on the green, then backwards toward the tee, rather than the other way around. The OVERWHELMING number of shots a golfer takes while playing a round, is NOT with a driver in their hand, yet that seems to the way golf balls are marketed... which leads us to this topic.

I'll leave you with this, 2 of 4 majors last year were won with Titleist's "slower swing speed" premium golf ball, the ProV1 (Adam Scott & Jason Duffner). If swing speed were *the* determining factor for ball choice, as the OP'r asked in post #1, they should be using the ProV1x.

Titleist.

[quote name='the.landshark' timestamp='1391718926' post='8611191']
If swing speed were *the* determining factor for ball choice, as the OP'r asked in post #1, they should be using the ProV1x.
[/quote]

The question was asked "does it matter", not is it [u]the[/u] "determining factor". Swing speed absolutely matters on how a ball performs. See the Laws of Physics.

Swing speed is the single most influential factor to [b][i][u]how[/u][/i][/b] a golf ball is propelled using a golf club. It all starts by using a velocity component of the club face.

From a physics perspective swing speed certainly matters. From a philosophical perspective does any of this matter?

Does temperature matter? Humidity? Coriolis effect????

I don't think the question is "does it matter" it is more along the lines of "Does Ball A require X MPH swing speed for it to function as designed?" Or 'If I exceed Z MPH does the ball exhibit odd results?"

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1391721207' post='8611449']
From a physics perspective swing speed certainly matters. From a philosophical perspective does any of this matter?

Does temperature matter? Humidity? Coriolis effect????

I don't think the question is "does it matter" it is more along the lines of "Does Ball A require X MPH swing speed for it to function as designed?" Or 'If I exceed Z MPH does the ball exhibit odd results?"
[/quote]

So we're answering our own questions, or the original question?

Club speed matters to ball selection. Too fast and Ball A may not do things you like. Too slow and Ball A may not do things you like. That could be feel, spin (too much/too little & back or side), LA (too high, too low), etc, etc, etc.

It's kind of why a ball fitting, or at least your own experimentation, is important.

I tried a ProV1x for the first time this morning, and my swing speed is somewhat slow (Definitely below 90mph). I have never, ever driven so well that I was not in the trees once across my 9 hole practise this morning.

Spin off the long irons was low too, but there when it matters. I hit a hybrid into a 170metre par 3 and landed it on the right of the [s]green [/s]pin and it stopped on a dime. Rollout was short too (On some instances this left me a bit [i]too [/i]short.

What a ball - definitely gaming it for comp this weekend, and shelving (for the moment) my lethals, and new SR-2's.

Driver: 915 D3 10.5 @ 12*
Irons: Titleist 716 AP1
Wedges: Vokey SM5
Rescue: 915H 3
Woods: Titleist Wood 916F
Putter: Scotty Cameron Squareback

It doesnt matter. Last I checked I dont swing wedges and short irons over 105 MPH. Play the ball that is best around the greens that will be what lowers your score.

RFX 9.5 Tour AD DI 7X
909 F3 15 73x BB
913HD 18 UST AXIVCore Black 104X
712CB 4-5 712 MB 6-PW C-Taper S+
SM4 52 & TVD 60 S400
Cameron Oil Can Newport

[quote name='SHIVAN' timestamp='1391719767' post='8611285']
[quote name='the.landshark' timestamp='1391718926' post='8611191']
If swing speed were *the* determining factor for ball choice, as the OP'r asked in post #1, they should be using the ProV1x.
[/quote]

The question was asked "does it matter", not is it [u]the[/u] "determining factor". Swing speed absolutely matters on how a ball performs. See the Laws of Physics.

Swing speed is the single most influential factor to [b][i][u]how[/u][/i][/b] a golf ball is propelled using a golf club. It all starts by using a velocity component of the club face.
[/quote]

You're correct. Mea culpa. OP asked "does swing speed matter...", and I miss-quoted, saying he asked if swing speed were "*the* determining factor".

I guess I just used my own (lack of) common sense, and read between the lines a little too much. If only I'd known that "a golf ball is propelled using a golf club", because then I would have also known that swing speed *does* matter, when I purchased my last box of golf balls. Oh wait. scratch that. I have the opinion that swing speed *doesn't* matter when choosing a golf ball, in spite of the fact that a golf ball doesn't go anywhere without it.

Perhaps I'll start my own thread (so as not to thread jack this one), entitled: I take 14 driver swings per round, at approximately 107-110mph. I also take (on average) 40 shots per round to approach the green... sometimes I'm in the fairway swinging at 90+, sometimes I'm in the rough swinging at 80+, the sand at 50+... or even punching out of the trees at 20+. In addition, seeing as paid for 14 clubs, I like to use a wide variety of them... full shots, half shots, little chips (I like to mix it up a little :)). Lastly, I tend to average 29 putts per round, and strictly follow the rules of golf, so I must use the same ball for all my shots from tee to green. Help me pick a ball!!! Does swing speed matter? And which swing speed matters most?

What do you think? Too long? In hindsight, maybe I won't start that thread... at least until I've had time to read different brands marketing claims, and fully digested the laws of physics. Who knew buying golf balls would be so hard?!

Titleist.

So if someone swings slowly, 39-45mph, does not generate enough spin on a wedge due to low swing speed and mechanics of their swing, and uses an inherently low spin ball and can't stop it on the green, did their club speed matter, or not? I can take that same ball, with my wedge swing speed, and stop it in its own pitch mark.

The low swing speed player would likely be able to stop a ball like the Callaway HX Bite, or DT Solo, with their same swing speed and mechanics. However, if I take an HX Bite and hit my normal wedge shot from the same distance it will spin so much, and back off the green. My swing speed generates more RPM of stopping/biting power.

Can someone with a 80mph driver swing play a ProV1? Sure they can. They can also play a Taylormade TP Black or 20XI-X. It doesn't mean those two balls will maximize anything about their game, including distance off the tee, or stopping power around the green.

#1 complaint from low speed players who hit a B330 from my bag? It feels hard, falls out of the sky on drives, does not spin on the approach, etc. Oddly, with a 96mph-99mph 6i swing, the B330 feels perfect, and sticks for me. What mattered? My club speed....

The reason the.landshark uses ball X instead of ball Y is because HIS swing speed for every club makes ball X perform how he likes. Someone with faster, or slower, swing speed on each club may have different results. The main variable being club speed.

Balls can do things differently based on swing speed, but the end result can be minimal. The "swing speed differentiation" is marketed downward. I am not sure the genesis of the entire campaign, but it is important to note what the marketing slant DOES NOT SAY. To the best of my knowledge it is claimed that "slower swing speeds cannot compress and therefore cannot fully exploit the functionality of standard tour ball, therefore here is this alternative that looks and acts like a tour ball and is made in such a way that you can maximize its functionality."

WHAT IS NOT SAID, but is implied, is that by maximizing the slow swing ball the results will be significantly different than if you used the standard tour ball. I can tell you as someone who swings in the target marketing group, on the course, there is no noticeable difference. I have played zillions of rounds with all the tour balls, both standard and slow swing speed balls, and there is simply not true. I have also found this out with many playing partners in the same boat.

Yes

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Does swing speed matter when choosing a golf ball?

[/quote]

The answer to your simple question, [quote name='the.landshark' timestamp='1391718926' post='8611191']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1391705321' post='8609749']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Respectfully, you missed the point... and *you're* the one that introduced spin into the conversation with your 1st post (#4 above), not the original poster, who started this thread and asked his question.

[color=#800080][i]I don't think so. The value or "feature" of all the various golf balls in the world, is how they spin. "Spin" is the single characteristic that makes golf balls behave the way they do. Dimples, cores, covers, etc, are only methods of altering the spin characteristic of a golf ball. The all weigh the same, they're all the same size. Only rate/direction of spin changes.[/i][/color]

I'll leave you with this, 2 of 4 majors last year were won with Titleist's "slower swing speed" premium golf ball, the ProV1 (Adam Scott & Jason Duffner). If swing speed were *the* determining factor for ball choice, as the OP'r asked in post #1, they should be using the ProV1x.

[color=#800080][i]Therein in lies your confusion in this thread. You're assuming that I & others are saying a "fast swing speed is necessary" to activate a given ball feature. That's not what we're saying at all. What I and others are saying, is a given ball will behave differently, struck at different speeds (be they faster or slower). That reality is proven by your above statement. Some golfers prefer how the ProV1 performs with their swing characteristics, others prefer the ProV1x. Some players only care how a ball reacts off their wedges ... Phil is a "spinner", not all Tour players are. Different strokes for different folks.[/i][/color]

[/quote]

Can a 10 hcp play blades??? This thread is in line with the prior statement for it's polarizing ablility. Everybody wants to look at these topics in black and white.

Monte ( long drive champ for those who don't know) had a huge thread about why he loved to play lady Precept ball. Our head pro fit a 70 year old woman into the PRO V1x. She absolutely loves the ball, shot her career low round with it and will use no other ball.She drives it about 170 off the tee!!!

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391731381' post='8612365']
Can a 10 hcp play blades??? This thread is in line with the prior statement for it's polarizing ablility. Everybody wants to look at these topics in black and white.

[/quote]

It was a simple, black & white question. The OP ask if "swing speed matters when choosing a ball". The simple answer is that speed effects spin, which effects the way a ball behaves.

It's up to the individual how they want their ball to behave, isn't it?

Here's the first question from the Titleist ball selector. The implication is choose the area of your game that is most important and base the ball off of that choice.

[b] Question 1[/b]
[color=#000000][size=5][b]
To Shoot Lower Scores, I Would Benefit Most From A Better:[/b][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=5][b]
Long Game Short Game[/b][/size][/color]