Southern California Golf Association

jjm2214

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really get into any of their tournaments so it was a waste of money and I finally just dropped out. I have a friend who's company only charges like $20 for SCGA handicap so I'll probably reasign with them. Maybe someone who plays in their events can comment. I know they do have a pretty competitive group of scrach or better tournaments. They don't really get too good of discounts anywhere for courses though. They have a few monday events at private courses for the public but they are usually the crappier private places and still charge a ton. You might have better responses in the California WRX chapter forum in the meet-ups section.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I really don't understand the above post at all. I think the SCGA is one of the finest if not THE finest golf association in the nation. Mark, I'm sure you're a nice guy, and I don't want you to think I'm attacking you but your comments show a slight lack of knowledge about what the SCGA is all about. I'm sure if you were more involved you would change your mind about the SCGA.

They put on a huge variety of competitions for the better player but many more for all handicap players. They have a Tournament Series usually every month for the less experienced player of all handicaps, and all different formats, to get your feet wet and exposed to tournament play. They have Rules Seminars every year at very nice courses to help everyone with the rules. They do huge Jr Golf programs and have many at places like LACC, Lakeside, Wilshire CC.

The member outings they have are quite a hit. Usually held at private courses, I guess you can say some of them are "crappy" but at least they open up their gates to the public and allow those who would never be able to play them have an awesome day. But I wouldn't call Bighorn, Stone Eagle, San Gabriel CC, Del Mar CC, Sherwood CC, Mission Hills Dinah Shore, Saticoy, El Caballero CC, Hacienda CC, The Crosby, The Farms, San Diego CC, Valencia CC, crappy courses. Name another golf association that does this for its members. Does the Arizona Golf Assoc. open up Troon CC, Estancia, Desert Mountain, for its members?

You're probably expecting LACC, Wilshire CC, Riv, Bel Air and Valley Club to be on the list for 20 bucks. Don't mean to sound like a SA but I'm proud of what the SCGA does and those people work their a$$s off so the tourneys run smoothly and people appreciate their hard work.

They also give discounts to Roger Dunn for all your euipment needs. One thing they don't do is give discounts to golf courses. Maybe you're expecting to get discounted green fees thru the SCGA. That's between the golf course and you and not the golf association's obligation. . The NCGA gives discounts to its members but the biggest discounts are given to both of their own courses, Poppy Hills and Poppy Ridge..

All that being said, I'm sorry I got a little harsh. I apologize if it comes across completly over the top but I know the people at the SCGA want nothing more than to satisfy every single one of its members. You may think differently and that's ok, just wanted the OP to know that they are there for you, offer many opportunities to play and compete, and quickly answer all emails and questions about anything related to golf. Very very professional organization and a proud member..

I actually am a member of the scga through their affiliation with a local club called SBPLGA. I'm not sure exactly what the affiliation is, but my index is housed by SCGA. Anyhow, I also think the SCGA is a very well run organization. I've played in a handful of their one day tournaments and and multi-day tournaments. All are very well run and attract amazing players.

FWIW, I pay $38 a year for my membership and its worth every penny.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1392836195' post='8702929']
I really don't understand the above post at all. I think the SCGA is one of the finest if not THE finest golf association in the nation. Mark, I'm sure you're a nice guy, and I don't want you to think I'm attacking you but your comments show a slight lack of knowledge about what the SCGA is all about. I'm sure if you were more involved you would change your mind about the SCGA.

They put on a huge variety of competitions for the better player but many more for all handicap players. They have a Tournament Series usually every month for the less experienced player of all handicaps, and all different formats, to get your feet wet and exposed to tournament play. They have Rules Seminars every year at very nice courses to help everyone with the rules. They do huge Jr Golf programs and have many at places like LACC, Lakeside, Wilshire CC.

The member outings they have are quite a hit. Usually held at private courses, I guess you can say some of them are "crappy" but at least they open up their gates to the public and allow those who would never be able to play them have an awesome day. But I wouldn't call Bighorn, Stone Eagle, San Gabriel CC, Del Mar CC, Sherwood CC, Mission Hills Dinah Shore, Saticoy, El Caballero CC, Hacienda CC, The Crosby, The Farms, San Diego CC, Valencia CC, crappy courses. Name another golf association that does this for its members. Does the Arizona Golf Assoc. open up Troon CC, Estancia, Desert Mountain, for its members?

You're probably expecting LACC, Wilshire CC, Riv, Bel Air and Valley Club to be on the list for 20 bucks. Don't mean to sound like a SA but I'm proud of what the SCGA does and those people work their a$$s off so the tourneys run smoothly and people appreciate their hard work.

They also give discounts to Roger Dunn for all your euipment needs. One thing they don't do is give discounts to golf courses. Maybe you're expecting to get discounted green fees thru the SCGA. That's between the golf course and you and not the golf association's obligation. . The NCGA gives discounts to its members but the biggest discounts are given to both of their own courses, Poppy Hills and Poppy Ridge..

All that being said, I'm sorry I got a little harsh. I apologize if it comes across completly over the top but I know the people at the SCGA want nothing more than to satisfy every single one of its members. You may think differently and that's ok, just wanted the OP to know that they are there for you, offer many opportunities to play and compete, and quickly answer all emails and questions about anything related to golf. Very very professional organization and a proud member..
[/quote]

Agree to disagree. They give you $15 to Roger Dunns but my club charges $65 so I'm just getting part of my own money back in the form of a gift card. I said they run some decent tourney's for scratch players. Get into the ones with higher handicaps and you get into the sandbaggers and long nauseating rounds. Same as everywhere else though. If you're looking for competitive golf, they have a big list of tournaments. Usually entry price is tournament rate which is often at or higher than the holiday rate at the course. I'd rather go play it on a Friday for $50 than pay $80 for the tournament. But it's preference I guess. Nothing they've done tickled my fancy, but if you are looking for tournament play, they are the largest public group to join. There are many smaller groups around too. Company groups, groups from locations or cities, etc. But don't expect deals, perks, etc. Other than the stated few private clubs which host monday rounds during course maintenance and charge $$$ for it.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 2 weeks later...

Scga is great. They do a really good job with their tournaments and they are very fair priced from other tournaments I see. They rarely have a tournament over $150 and a lot are under $100. That's crazy cheap for California tournaments just look at most tournaments thru other organizations they are a rip off! Also the website is pretty well put together, the FORE magazine is really well done also.

And, although I haven't competed, they have an extensive team match play by club with all the scoring online and matches organized. SCGA is a great organization and they give you a lot of course discounts btw. They are all listed on their website.

• 4 weeks later...

The SCGA is the best regional golf association in the country IMO. Their tournament staff is super professional and do a wonderful job managing events. Others posters above mentioned many of the other things they do for their members as well. I'm proud to be a member of the SCGA.

Jeff

PS: keep in mind... a tournament's cost is greater than a simple green fee. Staff, accommodations, prizes, paying for course buyouts, etc. cost money. Their tournaments are all under $150/per man. That's pretty good for such an expensive area of the country.

Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura VC 6.2 X
3-wood Callaway XR Aldila Rip B 70 X
Hybrid Callaway Big Bertha Aldila RIP a X
4-PW Callaway Apex Pro DG X-100
Wedges Callaway MD Forged 52, 56, PM 64
Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 009 @T

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/990289-witb-forty/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Both of California's major golf associations (SCGA and NCGA) are first-class organizations with top-notch people at every level.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"