Who's got the Stupid Easiest Bag out there?

Noke

My bag is pretty easy to hit high and straight. Can't really practice much due to a back injury, so I'm trying to make the game as easy as I can. My setup:

Ping K15 driver 10.5*

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood 16*

Ping K15 5 wood

Wishon 785HF hybrid iron set 3-PW

Ping Eye2 SW and LW

Ping G2i Craz-E shafted to putt sidesaddle

Admittedly, there are some spots in there where I could go 'stupid easier', but it works for me.

So, I'm curious what other people are playing that qualifies as Stupid Easy?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is if my game is on, even when it's off some these guys always take care of me.
Anser Driver
Anser 4 Wood
I20s 3-UW
Eye2 XG SW/LW
(Usually 3 of the 4 wedges)
Anser Putter.
Simple set up. Love to look at the new stuff-always. No interest in any changes.

Come to think of it I keep a bag at work for 'emergencies.'
That one is just as simple.
Driver Rapture V2
3 Wood Titleist PT
Eye2 2-LW
Old Anser Putter

Clubs are NEVER a factor to me. I know if I put the good swing on these I'll get great results. Simple is good!

Driver : Titleist 913 D3 9,5
4 wood : Callaway Razr Fit Extreme
2 iron : Callaway Fusion wide sole ( very wide sole :taunt: )
4-sw Ping G25
lob wedge eye 2 or Eye 2 XG ( Havent decided yet )

I think that it will qualify as easy as well.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, PX 6.0 73 g
4 wood : Callaway Raxr fit extreme Stiff
Irons : Ping G 25 4-9, CFS XS
Wedges G25 pw+uw+sw , CFS XS + Ping Eye2 Xg lw, CFS XS.
Putter : Odessey 2 ball

Well I dont get to play as much as I would like to due to work mostly. So I have made the transition to an easier more forgiving bag from top to bottom. About a 12 hc. Here it goes:

Ping k15 driver 9.5
Ping original rapture 3 wood 14* (mostly for off the tee)
Ping k15 3 wood 16*/ Cobra baffler t rail hybrid 17* (swap out each from time to time)
Cobra baffler t rail hybrid 22* (so easy it feels like cheating)
Mizuno JPX825 5-pw
Cleveland rtx cb 50*
Cobra big trusty rusty 55* (I know, I know... but its almost automatic for me from 80-90 yards out).
Ping gorge 58* ts lob wedge
Odyssey white hot ice #9 ( easiest putter I have ever used to get the ball rolling on line)

This is coming from some Ben Hogan apex ftx irons that I loved when I was on my game. But they sure were punishing when I was struggling with consistency. Im loving the new bag and it has been very forgiving for me. Very enjoyable to play with and have been scoring well too.

A little over a year ago I set out to address the "Stupid Easy Bag" question myself. I'd always gravitated to "players" style clubs mostly, even as a beginner.

Demo'd a lot of stuff including all the lefty "game improvement" irons I could find locally to try.The irons were found quickly enough...as soon as I got around to the Ping G20's it was like "Hey, why didn't somebody tell me Ping irons were so easy and fun to hit???".

So my idea was to get the Ping irons along with the matching wedges from the iron set. Start from the 7-iron and then have hybrids for the 6, 5, and 4 along with a high lofted fairway wood (5-wood maybe) and a high-lofted driver with very flexible and lightweight shafts on the two longest clubs.

It took a bit of searching around to find hybrids but I ended up with Ping K15 4-hybrid, 5-hybrid, 6-hybrid. Picked up a used 12-degree G15 driver with Soft-R (senior flex) shaft then eventually found a matching G15 5-wood used as well. After a few months, added a G15 7-wood to the mix.

To make a long story not quite as long, got tired of struggling with the hybrids pretty early on. Dropped the 6-hybrid and put the G20 6-iron back in the bag after just a dozen or so rounds. Eventually swapped out the 4-hybrid and/or 5-hybrid for various alternatives from Ping or Callaway (all bought used relatively cheaply, thank goodness). Then the G20 5-iron goes back in and by the six-month point even the G20 4-iron (which was only in the set I bought locally because I didn't want to wait to special order a 5-UW set).

The biggest step forward after that initial G20 irons purchase was discovering the G25 driver. The particular one I have, an inch shorter than standard length with a "R" flex shaft, is the easiest to hit and longest-hitting driver I've ever owned. And not just slightly better, far superior. So the final bag was G25 driver, G25 4-wood (which I replace the G15 with just out of sheer wanting the newest model to match my driver) then the G20 irons from 3-LW.

Yes, I said "3-LW". After a few months with a 7-wood and 4-LW setup I ordered a G20 3-iron right before last year's links golf trip to the UK. And from Day One it was so straight and easy to hit it has been in the bag ever since.

The last few weeks I'm experimenting with a "Stupid Easy" putter...it's a Daddy Long Legs counterbalanced 35" one. Working well during the honeymoon, guess it's been in the bag about five rounds so far. I've been so happy with the "Stupid Easy" set from driver through wedges I figured it was silly to be using putters like my beautiful, milled, hand finish, torched stainless steel TP Mills "Trad II"...a putter that I love but can not consistently put a good stroke on to save my life. And lord knows I've tried.

I've known almost since starting to play golf 20 years ago that my way of putting thrives on a large, perimeter weighted (we didn't say "high MOI" back in the 90's) face-balanced putter. For many years that meant a 35" putter that I gripped down almost to the metal because my hands hang down so far when I set up to putt. Every putter I've putted well with long-term has been a 35" one with face-balance and a bit of forgiveness. Generally mallets. Yet I've spent the last 2-3 years trying a succession of toe-hanging and/or blade style and/or Anser-style and/or heel-shafted putters. And I've been cutting them down to 33" or even 32-1/2" on occasion.

So with the DLL I'm back to a 35" putter (albeit counterbalanced) gripped down a few inches (though not to the metal because of the long grip) with the highest-MOI mallet head ever created. Perfectly face balanced, too. And surprise, surprise I am putting great with it! Who'd have thought? It's all Stupid Easy, man.

I wonder what the guys score with the stupid easier bag......... To me that's the real question. I did stupid easierfy my bag recently.
G25 9.5 driver
G25 14* 3 wood
I25 3 thru LW

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
9.6* G Driver -------------------------------------------------------- Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 Tour
13.6* G Stretch 3 Wood ------------------------------------------ Fujikura Speeder Pro 73 XLR8 Tour
18* 9031 Super Proto Hybrid ----------------------------------- Diamana 82 HY
4 - GW 716 T-MB Irons(4 2* & 5 1* strong) ----------------- KBS Tour V
56 (Bent to 55*) & 60 Mac Daddy PM Grind Wedges----- KBS Tour V Wedge
Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counter Balanced
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

I don't have these clubs, but from what I know and read..

Ping Rapture
Callaway Fusions (3-LW) or the old Callaway Hawkeyes from the late 90s/early 2000s
Ping Anser Putter

If I only play golf once a year, this is what I would play..

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

K15 driver
4 wood
G15 irons

[quote name='fairwaysroverated' timestamp='1393331433' post='8740470']
I wonder what the guys score with the stupid easier bag......... To me that's the real question. I did stupid easierfy my bag recently.
G25 9.5 driver
G25 14* 3 wood
I25 3 thru LW
[/quote]

as far as scoring with this bag... i didn't touch my clubs from mid September until mid January during hunting season so 4 months off. My first nine holes i played this year i matched my lowest score (+3) after hitting a small bucket of balls the weekend before. as someone who doesn't have the time to devote to practicing the game and just wants to play whenever the chance arises, a bag like this helps me just go out and enjoy myself more.

FWIW: I only had two rounds last summer that were over 83. I had one round of 73. Everything else was 74-82 on 6200 yds, 127 slope. Remember I've played those Eye2 irons for almost 30 years. I don't judge what other people want/have/use. I will say I've watched a lot of folks with 8.5* drivers, 13* 3 woods and forged irons with X shafts struggle. I grew up on persimmon and forged irons. Loved those clubs. Played well with them. At one point I had to ask myself- are you a pro? NO! Going to be one? NO!
Then use clubs that help you enjoy the game, give you some margin for error and help out a little bit.
Stupid Easy to me means that you have the right clubs, built for you so you can shoot the arrow as well as possible. That could be any set depending on the skill of the golfer.

I set out last year to make my bag as forgiving as I could. Thanks to work and family schedules, I wasn't getting to play as much as I used to or want to. So I figured I'd try to make it easier and thus, more fun when I did get a chance to hit the course. So this is the bag I put together:
X Hot 10.5* driver
X Hot 15* 3w
X Hot 19* & 22* 3h & 4h
X Hot irons 5-PW GW SW
X Forged 60* wedge
2-Ball ProType putter
Callaway HEX Distance & SuperSoft ball
Now did this set up automatically get me into the 70s? Of course not. But it did eliminate the 100+ shot blow up rounds. I can usually keep it below 90 now. It has made the game less frustrating for sure.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Sean,

I've shot 80 a couple times with the "Stupid Easy" bag. Or maybe it was three times. Never better than 80 anyway. Before that I had shot 80 a couple of times with two different sets of "players" clubs.

It's not "Stupid Score Better" but it certainly does seem like "Stupid Easy" by comparison. As I recall both times I had an 80 with the smaller-headed, heavier-shafted irons and Vokey wedges it felt like I'd done something pretty difficult. Each of those rounds needed a couple of long putts or chips from the fringe, maybe an amazing long bunker shot, a high-risk miracle shot from out of the trees or similar.

Both of the times (or was it three?) with the G25/G20 based setup it was just kind of ho-hum, no special efforts required. At least the first of those times, which I recall better, only one long putt went in for birdie and in fact I still managed to make a double-bogey out of a fairway bunker on the 16th hole.

But my point is, I always felt "in control" with the TItleist DCI's, Titleist ZB's, Callaway X-Forged '09 and other "players" clubs. Like I only got out of a shot whatever I put into it. It's the opposite with the G20's. I swing, the ball makes a thump as it leaves the club and it just kind of goes up there in the vicinity of where I'm aiming. I don't have to be sure to catch it clean from a thin lie or open the face from the rough and I don't play NEARLY as many recovery shots from awkward places.

In the end, we are all limited by our baseline skill level and our expectations. For me, I am the very model of the Choking F---ing Dog (in Dottie Pepper's memorable phrase) as soon as I get within sniffing distance of a score in the 70's. There aren't any clubs that make me "Stupid Smart" after all. But I sure walk off the last green after a round with my "Stupid Easy" set feeling like I've done less work than I would have shooting a similar score with the shiny little clubs I used to own. And in fact, my handicap is a stroke or two lower than back then as well so I've not doubt there is a modest help to scoring in there somewhere. But very modest.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Good point there, Sean. I'm for sure aware that a Stupid Easy Bag won't get me to scratch, but I do gain some confidence from knowing that (in theory) my mishits will still be playable.

Stupid Easy is as Stupid Easy does. Uhhhh, yeah.

Sure am seeing a lot of Ping in these bags! Love my K15 driver, but I end up using my Unicorn Hibore XL 2 wood on most holes. For me that club is the Stupid Easiest, nearly transforming my game off the tee. Eye2 LW is great, too. Lots of room to be stupid and still get decent results with the sole on that thing.

G25 12* or K15 12* (haven't picked one yet)
K15 3w
Tour Edge Trilogy 3,4,5 hybrids
G25 6i-LW
Versa #7

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

• 2 years later...

My bag is pretty easy to hit high and straight. Can't really practice much due to a back injury, so I'm trying to make the game as easy as I can. My setup:

Ping K15 driver 10.5*

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood 16*

Ping K15 5 wood

Wishon 785HF hybrid iron set 3-PW

Ping Eye2 SW and LW

Ping G2i Craz-E shafted to putt sidesaddle

Admittedly, there are some spots in there where I could go 'stupid easier', but it works for me.

So, I'm curious what other people are playing that qualifies as Stupid Easy?

Stupider Easier for 2016 bag update:

Cobra Fly Z VLCT ST 70x

Cleveland HiBore SuperLoft BiMatrx X

TEE Trilogy 3w

Adams Tight Lies 7w

TEE Trilogy 5 Hybrid

Tour Edge Gold Iron-Woods 6-AW

PING iWedge 56, 60

PING Craz-E TR shafted for sidesaddle

I'm not a slow swinger but a weird swing to protect my fragile back leads to some inconsistencies, hence the need for forgiveness. Biggest surprise for me this spring has been the Tour Edge Gold iron-wood ALL HYBRID set. I played with Wishon 870ti's last year but the Golds are on a completely different level forgiveness-wise. Easy and fun. Gets some looks though.

Anyone else playing a super forgiving setup for 2016? Can you out stupid-easy my bag?