2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Watch Enthusiasts

chiguy

I know there are plenty of watch enthusiast around these parts. Not sure how many would front (I'm sure some could) the cash for this beauty, but it sure is pretty darn amazing.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/iwc-portuguese-siderale-scafusia-watch-super-complex-over-750000/

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1393345064' post='8741804']
I know there are plenty of watch enthusiast around these parts. Not sure how many would front (I'm sure some could) the cash for this beauty, but it sure is pretty darn amazing.

[url="http://www.ablogtowatch.com/iwc-portuguese-siderale-scafusia-watch-super-complex-over-750000/"]http://www.ablogtowa...ex-over-750000/[/url]
[/quote]

Would or could? That's a $850,000 watch.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Remarkable.

IWC-Portuguese-Siderale-Scafusia-2.jpg

Things get a lot more complex on the back of the watch where the astronomical data is displayed. Here you will also find one of the world's most diminutive perpetual calendar displays. The large astrological chart is based on a specific sky location the customer must choose. Basically it frames a small section of the night sky. IWC claims that the chart can display the actual position of about 500 - 1000 stars. The chart moves to represent how the view of the sky changes from the perspective of someone standing on earth. The chart and hands around the chart further indicator sunset/sunrise data, sidereal time, solar time, and day/night indicator. It is all very complex, tiny, and awesome.

Around the periphery of the star chart is the perpetual calendar.

Some beautiful watches so far. There are so many I would really like, but I am not wealthy, so its just dreams.

What I am about to post is nothing to drool over or impress watch people. Its a watch I have found that is very accurate and a workhorse. I am a cop and wear it at work every day. Its over two years old and still keeps spot on time. I only have been adjusting it maybe twice a year during DST. Its that dang good.

Orient Mako

http://www.watchitallabout.com/orient-mako-blue-watch-review/

OrientMako-1.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='spazo' timestamp='1393362017' post='8743732']
can someone provide a primer on watch buying? I've been thinking about getting something soon but don't know enough to pony up money. I know Rolex is understood to be overpriced but that's about it
[/quote]

It all depends what you're looking for and what you're price range is - is it a decorative piece or is it someting functional; automatic or quartz; leather band or stainless steal; etc, etc, etc.

Price and value are subjective to the owner - they aren't overpriced if you're looking for a Rolex. It's like someone calling Muira golf clubs overpriced for the function.

can someone provide a primer on watch buying? I've been thinking about getting something soon but don't know enough to pony up money. I know Rolex is understood to be overpriced but that's about it
[/quote]

You can get lots of advice. I'd just suggest you go and try lots of watches on. You may end up surprised at what you like and looks good on your wrist.

You shouldn't spend an amount that you are freaking out but don't skimp. Maybe 2 weeks salary and you'll definitely get something you are happy with.

[/quote]

Budget Style?

And for what it is (a basic time/date functioning mechanical watch), Rolex is about as fine as they come.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

A regular Portugese in rose gold is on my "To Buy" list at some point. Just trimmed down my collection to acquire a PVD Pan a few months ago and now I'm wanting to trim it down to only a select couple.

I've had the chance to handle some fine pieces form Jaeger and Zenith over the past few years as my best friends family owns a very high end jewelry shop and had some rare pieces like a Christophe Colomb and Gyrotourbillon ($350k and $200k). Same guy bought both of them....he was nice enough to let us play with them a bunch though, the engineering is remarkable.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1393364861' post='8744048']
[/quote]

Budget Style?

And for what it is (a basic time/date functioning mechanical watch), Rolex is about as fine as they come.
[/quote]"primer" means elementary. I don't even know enough to know what I might want

I've got a Breitling Colt Ocean that I wear everyday and I really like it its very comfortable. Keeps time great and very durable I've yet to break the crystal and it cleans up like new. My Submariner isn't nearly as nice as the breitling in my opinion, the major plus with a breitling it not flashy or overwhelming at all.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

My go to watch is my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm. It's one of the most universal watches for business or casual on the planet without being flashy. James Bond says so as well.

[quote name='spazo' timestamp='1393393925' post='8747468']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1393364861' post='8744048']
[/quote]

Budget Style?

[/quote]"primer" means elementary. I don't even know enough to know what I might want
[/quote]

Okay...a quick 101 I guess. If you're spending a good amount of money, you'll be looking for a mechanical watch (no batteries). There is a Swiss company called ETA that makes a large portion of the movements for good Swiss watches that cost between about $750 and maybe $5,000+. The lower end of that will probably be brands you've never heard of with straight from the box movements, and the higher end will have a name you've heard of before and a movement that was modified by the manufacturer to be more accurate and possibly better looking. These are mostly good watches that are affordable (as far as this watch thing goes) and should serve most people well.

Above that, you start getting into watches that have "in-house" movements. These are movements that are designed and manufactured by the OEM themselves. They aren't necessarily better, but they are usually more unique (more than one way to skin a cat), and more exclusive...and more expensive, of course. "In-house" is sort of the buzzword in the watch community, as it shows that the manufacturer is serious about innovation and horology. You should expect to pay starting prices of about $10,000 for something like this.

Then, you have complications...complications are pretty much anything your watch does other than tell time. Date, chronograph, moon phase, month (each adding a few hundred to a few thousand $$ each)...(..then everything in between)...all the way up to tourbillons, equation of time, and repeaters ([i]each[/i] of which can easily add 5 or 6 figures to the price).

So again, back to my original question: Budget? Style? Are you looking for something dressy, sporty, versatile? Do you work in a formal environment? Do you want to impress others? Want something to pass on to your kids?

Answer a few of those and it will be much easier to point you in the right direction.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

There are a lot of options. Omegas and Rolexes are nice middle of the road/second tier daily drivers $-$$ (and Rolex $$$ depending upon how pimped out (ice) you want your bezel). Rolex is not really renowned for its complications though. The upper level/boutique brands Patek, IWC etc also have baseline simple watches $$-$$$ in addition to their others that span all tax brackets $$$$$$$$$ and mind boggling complications. <br />
<br />
The s/s Daytona is my travel & hunting watch, the gold Daytona is my everyday watch & the Rose Gold Moonphase Patek is my work/evening watch (the
dial is in Italian).

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Buying a watch is a very personal thing. The same look can be gotten in all price ranges. To begin, look at different styles, then determine how much you can afford to spend. I haven't bought a watch in some years, but I don't like the huge 2" diameter pieces that seem to be the fashion currently.

I have a SS datejust Rolex I bought years ago. A great watch, but who actually needs a Rolex. After the initial thrill, who cares? My favorite watch is my late father's Wittnauer tank watch, bought in 1947 for $33. He gave it to me in high school, and I've worn it regularly since. Of course, it's needed repaired 2 times since he gave it to me in 1966, quite reasonably. (People have asked me if it's a tank Cartier, I thank them and reply truthfully about its history.)

Another favorite watch is a 1960's white gold tank Longines that I bought for a dollar at a yard sale. I was looking at a box of junk watches when the Longines came out and bit me. After hardly being able to contain myself, I got to the car, wound it, and it ran perfectly. I took it to a jeweler who serviced it, new crystal and new leather band. I have been wearing it on occasion every since.

I have probably around 10 watches, most relics from my family. With the exception of the Rolex, none have high extrinsic value, although sentimental value is high. I would advise a young man on a budget to look at vintage watches. Used watches can be quite reasonable and quite distinctive. Infinitely more distinctive than today's stuff. Fathers and uncles love to hand down watches. It's worth a check.

A young man should have a good watch. A good watch doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I've collected time pieces/watches for 26+ years and I love reading about them also, both the mags and the books.

RJ's Post above is one of the finest most consise summations that I have ever read!

Well done Bro-

Very well done!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1393346643' post='8741972']
[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1393345064' post='8741804']

[url="http://www.ablogtowatch.com/iwc-portuguese-siderale-scafusia-watch-super-complex-over-750000/"]http://www.ablogtowa...ex-over-750000/[/url]
[/quote]

Would or could? That's a $850,000 watch.
[/quote]LMAO!!

Great point.....

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

If you wish to be able to open one eye and read the time throughout the night (even without one's glasses) the Ball watch line has no equals. I have a Rolex, a 20 year old Omega Submariner (which needs ome TLC / loses 2 minutes a day), and a Ball. I've come to like the Ball most.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1393797346' post='8780630']
I've collected time pieces/watches for 26+ years and I love reading about them also, both the mags and the books.

RJ's Post above is one of the finest most consise summations that I have ever read!

Well done Bro-

Very well done!

Richard
[/quote]

I appreciate the kind words. Just like this silly golf game, sometimes less is more.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Some beautiful watches so far. There are so many I would really like, but I am not wealthy, so its just dreams.

What I am about to post is nothing to drool over or impress watch people. Its a watch I have found that is very accurate and a workhorse. I am a cop and wear it at work every day. Its over two years old and still keeps spot on time. I only have been adjusting it maybe twice a year during DST. Its that dang good.

Orient Mako

http://www.watchitallabout.com/orient-mako-blue-watch-review/

OrientMako-1.jpg

Hey Jim,

Orient makes an excellent piece and that is an understated, timeless design.

My favorite-

What I love is that it can be worn with a suit as easily as with jeans.

Thanks for posting

My Best,

Richard

Don't really wear a watch much anymore, if I do it's usually the Heuer. The Movado is a copy of a Patek I had. Have an old Omega Seamaster, and a rose gold Mido, and a Tiffany pocket watch.

I can't stand metal bands on my wrist, so I usually switch to a leather band.

B31BDA81-7D15-4308-8D97-D1FC7DB30DCE_zpsfqowg9k6.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

Don't really wear a watch much anymore, if I do it's usually the Heuer. The Movado is a copy of a Patek I had. Have an old Omega Seamaster, and a rose gold Mido, and a Tiffany pocket watch.

What?

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

Orient Mako

http://www.watchital...e-watch-review/

OrientMako-1.jpg

The Orient Mako is one of the best bargain watches out there. I'm thinking of getting one as a every day watch. My nice watch is a Omega SeaMaster Aquaterra, but w/ a 5 and 2 year old boys, I end up wearing a G-Shock most of the time.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

Orient Mako

http://www.watchital...e-watch-review/

OrientMako-1.jpg

The Orient Mako is one of the best bargain watches out there. I'm thinking of getting one as a every day watch. My nice watch is a Omega SeaMaster Aquaterra, but w/ a 5 and 2 year old boys, I end up wearing a G-Shock most of the time.

I love some of the Omegas, this being my favorite that I've owned, until a few years ago I broke the bezel.

I'm having a little trouble finding someone that can fix it! Sad I live in BFE.

8CA4E9EC-5DC2-43CD-97B3-E2A1084D7832_zpswelhdtfr.jpg

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1600203-masters-champ-bubba-watson-still-wears-500000-watch-because-he-is-awesome

For sports, golf and fishing, I wear a Citizen Eco Drive watch that never needs a battery or to be wound for that matter. It has a solar cell and if you are outside enough it just goes and has for me for ten - fifteen years. It is waterproof and has an alarm. And playing golf doesn't bother it at all (of course my swing does not have the velocity of Bubba Watson's). But the notion of paying thousands, tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands for a wrist watch is, in my opinion, pretty silly. If you want quality, just get a twenties or thirties Hamilton wind up watch. They were the railroad standard in the early part of the Twentieth Century, and in my opinion watches like the Hamilton Boulton, Dixon or especially the Piping Rock are the finest watches ever made. But it is, indeed, a matter of taste.

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

I am a fan of Breitling. A very good durable watch that doesn't scream "look at me" but is quietly respected by those who know of it.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I always thought my Omega flew under the radar, and it did, I wore it to work one day, and helped one of my guys on a job running an air tool and broke the Omega. After numerous dives I shouldn't have done, and pool activities. Years of abuse.
The Heuer was lost outside for a year, and found, still a good watch. Put a leather band on it off a great Seiko watch I broke. I saved the gold and stainless band.'

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo