Watch Enthusiasts

12627282931

Comments

  • CEPickCEPick Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 1:57am #902

    @vaca22 said:

    @CEPick said:
    Need some input. One of these two will be my next purchase.

    I'm either going to put a strap on my Tag Aquaracer and turn it into my every day watch and buy the Sub or keep the bracelet on my Tag for dressy and go with the Yachtmaster with the blue strap for every day use. In my world, I prefer a tool watch I can wear every day and rarely have a super dressy occasion, the exception rarely for work or a wedding. I work from home and when I travel I usually wear a nice pair of paints and button down maybe with a sport coat.

    My concern is the Tag and Sub are so similar in function and look (both black dial/bezel) that I'll just end up wearing the Sub all the time.

    I like the Yachtmaster and the red hands and lettering. It is killer on the blue strap and not the same ole Roli everyone buys.

    Thoughts?

    Is the face of that Yachtmaster blue? Also, what kind of strap is that? I am really digging it!

    Yes, it's the blue dial on the Yachtmaster. Strap is an Everest band. Sick combination IMO. And probably less than a Sub or equal if bought pre-owned.

    Post edited by CEPick on
  • altess27altess27 Northern MN Southpaw Members Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Anyone have any opinions of Franck Muller? I am sure they can't be everyone's cup of tea but I like the uniqueness of the dials.

    Cobra F9 Speedback Driver
    Callaway XR 16 5 Wood
    Srixon Z H85 Hybrid
    Taylormade P760 Irons
    Piretti & Hi Toe Wedges
    SeeMore Z3C Putter
  • epyonepyon Members Posts: 474 ✭✭

    @vaca22 said:
    We gifted my father a Speedmaster with the hesalite crystal, and he mentioned to me this morning that there were a few scratches on it already. There shouldn't be any issue in returning it to the dealer and bringing this to their attention, should there?

    This is very common with the hesalite crystal. The material WILL scratch over time. What you need to do is buy some Polywatch, a crystal polisher made for plexiglass crystals. With some working, it will polish anything out of those crystals. Don't spend money or risk not seeing the watch for months by sending it to Omega.

    Taylormade 2017 M1- AD DI 6s
    Cobra F7 3w - AD DI 7s
    Cobra F7 3H
    Cobra Bio Cell 4H
    Srixon 545 5-PW Nippon Modus 105
    Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 - KBS Tour
    Odyssey O-works7s Red
    Bettinardi BB1
    Bettinardi Queen Bee 6
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef Members Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @epyon said:

    @vaca22 said:
    We gifted my father a Speedmaster with the hesalite crystal, and he mentioned to me this morning that there were a few scratches on it already. There shouldn't be any issue in returning it to the dealer and bringing this to their attention, should there?

    This is very common with the hesalite crystal. The material WILL scratch over time. What you need to do is buy some Polywatch, a crystal polisher made for plexiglass crystals. With some working, it will polish anything out of those crystals. Don't spend money or risk not seeing the watch for months by sending it to Omega.

    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely get him some of that. I've heard about it before as well.

    The dealer had no issues in taking the watch back, since it should have been clean from the start. Omega shipped another one out and it arrived only a few days later, which was really nice.

  • epyonepyon Members Posts: 474 ✭✭

    @vaca22 said:

    @epyon said:

    @vaca22 said:
    We gifted my father a Speedmaster with the hesalite crystal, and he mentioned to me this morning that there were a few scratches on it already. There shouldn't be any issue in returning it to the dealer and bringing this to their attention, should there?

    This is very common with the hesalite crystal. The material WILL scratch over time. What you need to do is buy some Polywatch, a crystal polisher made for plexiglass crystals. With some working, it will polish anything out of those crystals. Don't spend money or risk not seeing the watch for months by sending it to Omega.

    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely get him some of that. I've heard about it before as well.

    The dealer had no issues in taking the watch back, since it should have been clean from the start. Omega shipped another one out and it arrived only a few days later, which was really nice.

    That is great that they replaced it, but it definitely will happen again in the future. Polywatch, a cotton ball, and some elbow grease, and you will have it looking like new again in no time. I prefer the warm look of the hesalite myself, and it's what the classic had on it.

    Taylormade 2017 M1- AD DI 6s
    Cobra F7 3w - AD DI 7s
    Cobra F7 3H
    Cobra Bio Cell 4H
    Srixon 545 5-PW Nippon Modus 105
    Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 - KBS Tour
    Odyssey O-works7s Red
    Bettinardi BB1
    Bettinardi Queen Bee 6
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 27, 2019 1:35pm #910

    @Spongeb0b said:
    If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

    Id probably get a ceramic Seamaster, Grand Seiko Peacock GMT or GS Diver, or a Tudor BB GMT, maybe a used Rolex Explorer II

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    To be honest I would split that into two $2500 watches :)

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • Texas1Texas1 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

    Have you seen how much the Rolex Sports Watches have increased on the used market. Holy crap.

    I’d also chime in with a Navitimer, great looking watch.

    Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
    Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
    Mizuno T7 50 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Breitling is a great choice.

    There are some fantastic deals to be had in the used Tudor space also

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,687 ClubWRX

    @Texas1 said:
    Have you seen how much the Rolex Sports Watches have increased on the used market. Holy crap.

    I’d also chime in with a Navitimer, great looking watch.

    The sport watches (GMT, Submariner, Deep Seadweller, etc) are harder to come by. Most Rolex retailers have no stock in those models. Glad I picked up my GMT almost 8 years ago.

    Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Spongeb0b said:
    If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

    I was in the same spot a year or so ago and I went with a 38mm Speedmaster. Perfect selection for a durable, daily piece with enough style to be recognized but not flashy.

    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,687 ClubWRX

    @GHIN n Juice said:

    @Spongeb0b said:
    If you guys had 4-5k for an everyday watch, new or used, and had nothing else in the drawer, what would you buy? Would need to be versatile enough to be paired with a suit or jeans and a t-shirt. I have my thoughts but would like to hear yours.

    I was in the same spot a year or so ago and I went with a 38mm Speedmaster. Perfect selection for a durable, daily piece with enough style to be recognized but not flashy.

    Sport watches make a great all around watch. They look great in a casual setting and look just as good in an elegant setting. Only issue with a watch being an every day watch is that there are sure to be some light scratches that develop over time. But a well cared for watch will keep its appearance up for quite some time.

    Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • Texas1Texas1 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

    I’ve got a submariner and a Navitimer

    I have to say the Navitimer gets more comments than the sub. Navitimer has the blue dial which is the best. Going to get a blue leather strap for it.

    Love them both, but my favourite is the Navitimer as it was a gift from my wife for my 30th back in the day 😂

    Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
    Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
    Mizuno T7 50 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
  • radiopreacherradiopreacher Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2019 10:53am #918

    I drool over dependable, tough, vintage LED watches. I will spend $500 on a real Pulsar P2 if I get rich (that's a lot for a pastor to explain not giving to charity). There are replicas but I'll bet they go bad from humidity or rain etc. Maybe the Fossil, but it's not 100% accurate or appealing.

    I have a Trafalgar, a model that's rare. This is the picture from the sale, before I bought it.
    For some reason it looks cooler and more Cylon (Battlestar Galactica TOS) in person. It's larger than it looks here. This guy's gargantuan hands make it look like a ladies' watch with the plain leather band:

    It's quite a heavy, substantial little chunk of machined metal (but not stupid thick). The vintage Trafalgars are a ridiculous deal in these since they haven't gone viral like Bond's Pulsar P2. A lot of watch for $32 and shipping. It would have been out of my league new. You see Timex's with burned out LED segments but not so much the Pulsars or the Trafalgars either one.

  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I have lots of nice watches (nice is a relative term to me not meaning all luxo brands) but this one has been my favorite for a couple years now.

    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 5:53pm #920

    IF anyone cares, there is a seller on eBay drop shipping Marathon shoulderless spring bars factory direct, 4 pair for about $23 shipped. Marathons are about the bestest in that realm for the price. It ain't me, I bought some though.

    Post edited by dan360 on
    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @dan360 said:
    IF anyone cares, there is a seller on eBay drop shipping Marathon shoulderless spring bars factory direct, 8 pair for about $23 shipped. Marathons are about the bestest in that realm for the price. It ain't me, I bought some though.

    Shoulderless are the best, I usually get mine from ToxicNato......make sure you have drilled lugs though lol

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @PixlPutterman said:

    @dan360 said:
    IF anyone cares, there is a seller on eBay drop shipping Marathon shoulderless spring bars factory direct, 4 pair for about $23 shipped. Marathons are about the bestest in that realm for the price. It ain't me, I bought some though.

    Shoulderless are the best, I usually get mine from ToxicNato......make sure you have drilled lugs though lol

    True story! lol!

    I had to edit. 4 pair, 8 total. My math is not graduate school level sometimes. :)

    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    trying to decide between an air king, date just or sub/gmt. not sure how im supposed to go about deciding this.

  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Buckets2 said:
    trying to decide between an air king, date just or sub/gmt. not sure how im supposed to go about deciding this.

    I'd put an Explorer I in the mix if you're considering an Air King

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    yeah didn't list that, not sure why. I do like them....of course I really want a Batman with jubilee but can't justify the price :(

  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Buckets2 said:
    Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

    There really is not short cut for those unless you REALLY know a guy.
    216570 is a great option of a GMT, I love the Polar.

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • Buckets2Buckets2 Members Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @PixlPutterman said:

    @Buckets2 said:
    Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

    There really is not short cut for those unless you REALLY know a guy.
    216570 is a great option of a GMT, I love the Polar.

    My problem is that I am military...so not really around long enough to build up that relationship where I'd be one of the first folks they call....and I can't afford as much or as often like those first-call guys either.

  • Texas1Texas1 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

    I got a sub recently. Paid used what they are new as I couldn’t be arsed waiting, I get bored easily

    SUB is such a great watch. I was after the deep sea, previous generation but a lot of dealers stay way clear due to the high influx of extremely good fakes/stolen watches

    Guy near me gets subs in regularly, all checked and with warranty

    Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
    Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
    Mizuno T7 50 & 60
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Buckets2 said:

    @PixlPutterman said:

    @Buckets2 said:
    Any advice for finding a batman, pepsi, or Sub at an AD? Or getting on a list?

    There really is not short cut for those unless you REALLY know a guy.
    216570 is a great option of a GMT, I love the Polar.

    My problem is that I am military...so not really around long enough to build up that relationship where I'd be one of the first folks they call....and I can't afford as much or as often like those first-call guys either.

    Then you gotta pay crazy secondary prices :)

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Texas1 said:
    I got a sub recently. Paid used what they are new as I couldn’t be arsed waiting, I get bored easily

    SUB is such a great watch. I was after the deep sea, previous generation but a lot of dealers stay way clear due to the high influx of extremely good fakes/stolen watches

    Guy near me gets subs in regularly, all checked and with warranty

    The replica world is getting astoundingly good. My buddy has a BB58 that you cant tell the difference

    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file