NIKE Q&A 2.0: Tour Van, Oven & Nike HQ answers questions 3/4/14. See transcripts here...

Comments

• tigerfan85tigerfan85 Members Posts: 62
    Thanks for giving us this opportunity Nike!

1. For those who were able to watch the Tiger vs Rory matchplay event at Mission Hills, I can say that the fact that they were mic'd and candid were very appealing to golf fans, especially to all of us on GolfWRX. Are there any plans for a rematch sometime soon? A match under the lights at night would be pretty cool!

2. When can I place my pre-order for a 006/Tai proto?
  • OPIE98LMBOPIE98LMB Members Posts: 176
    So many good questions already.....

1.) Will Nike ever offer an option for someone to schedule a full club/ball fitting at The Oven or maybe at a different site here in the US? This would be similar to what Titleist offers at TPI.... I know it would probably be pricey, but it's worth it to some of us that play all Nike bags. I for one would like the peace of mind knowing that the clubs/ball/wedge grinds I currently play are the best for my game. I would literally kill someone for the opportunity to get custom fit at The Oven.......kill

2.) Is there any way that Nike will be open to custom ordering golf balls similar to what the tour guys play? Someone mentioned before liking a possible mix of the RZN black and platinum, maybe some guys on tour play a ball similar to this.....Would this be an option further on down the road seeing that Nike is getting more into customization (i.e. TW14 id's)?

Thanks for the time Nike and GolfWRX.....I absolutely love this site!
  • Maffe64Maffe64 Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2014 #34
    Pure745 wrote:

#1 - Does Nike plan on offering a black option or phase out the red paint in the Covert for some people that won't try it strictly because it's red? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#2 - What are the most commonly used wedge grind setups? Specifically the grinds in the 48, 54, 60.

#3 - What model of RZN ball is the most popular on tour? Which one is also the most unique (special, proto etc.) ?

#4 - What is on the horizon for the next versions of Nike's forged "Player" category blades and CB's?

#5 - Recently after some on course testing, I noticed differences in spin when switching my Covert 2.0 from Right to Neutral, any comments on this?

#6 - Does Tiger actually like the red paint? Or did it take some major $$$$$ image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> arm twisting to get him to jump on board with the red?

Bonus Question - When Nike paints on the grooves on Tiger and Rory's Method, which puts a purer roll on the ball? Acrylic or enamel? image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' /> Sorry, I was kidding.. it was a joke! image/deadhorse.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':deadhorse:' />

Same questions here,

When will you release a new blade model

Do you plan on releasing an all CB set (3-pw split cavity like this year's 7-pw pro combo) ?

Could we have a black covert line ?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • moondog80moondog80 ClubWRX Posts: 42 ClubWRX
    Is it true you are releasing a black covert before US OPEN this year?
  • LesmondLesmond Members Posts: 11,595 ✭✭
    moondog80 wrote:

Is it true you are releasing a black covert before US OPEN this year?

I think they are but only in the performance head.

A photo was posted.
    Driver: TaylorMade M6 10.5*
    Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
    Fairway: TaylorMade M3 19*
    Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
    Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 (raw) 50*, 54*
    Wedges: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X copper 

21Pd3+4L8HL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
  • geauxWRXgeauxWRX Members Posts: 1,216 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2014 #37
    Can you expand on the 5 different faces offered on nike tour putters?

Will we see a retail smaller head long hosel driver like tiger's?
    TM m5 10.5 ust attas coool 7x (for now)
    TM m5 15 hzrdus smoke 70-6.5
    TM 790 3i recoil utility proto 110
    TM 770 4i-pw KBS tour 120x
    Vokey sm7 raw 50.54.58 KBS tour 120x
    Bridgestone B330s
    Bettinardi Kuch arm lock
  • gr8blueheronbirdgr8blueheronbird Members Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
    What wedge do most of your tour pofessionals play? Is it the newest release or is it last years VR Forged or the previous years VR Pro model? Really like the VR Pro wedges but if something is better, then I am sure I will eventually make the switch. Just want to see who plays what and for what reason....
  • R HaganR Hagan Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
    you got any sumo tours leftover that i could buy?
    Mizuno JPX EZ @ 10.5 - Motore F1 S
    M1 15* - Kuro Kage X
    XR Pro 18* Hybrid - NVS 85X
    MP-32 4-PW - S300
    XFT 52-56-60
    Mizuno Bettinardi BC5
    K-Sig's baby!
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,288 admin
    FsuBulldog wrote:

Thank you to Golfwrx and Nike. It is always an incredible opportunity to get to talk to the people in charge. I have two questions, which will probably be asked again here.

1) I know other OEM's have commented, but how much do you rely on this site for feedback? Obviously, we are not the general consumers who will walk into any store and ask for "that red driver I saw Tiger hit." Therefore, if we are not your biggest target audience, does our feedback really go into the products?

2) If the answer above was yes, what is your stance on releasing a Rory/Tai Proto head? I know it would most likely be limited and/or at a higher cost, but what are the chances of it coming to the general public?

Thanks again to Golfwrx and Nike!

If they do intend to do it... would this venue be the perfect opportunity to leak the announcement? Ohhh please let it be so.
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,288 admin
    Nike 2.0 tour and performance drivers. What are the spin and MOI differences between these and last years heads?

2013 Covert Performance Driver - Spin center hit vs 2014

2013 Covert Tour Driver- MOI vs 2014
    We are getting reports from our Club Fitter Committee that ranks our "Best of" rankings that the Nike Covert Forged Irons are front runners this year.

1. Why no hype or buzz on the street or here yet?

2. What are they testing so well? Do you have data or tech facts that can explain performance over its peers?

• Beastmode BrokerBeastmode Broker Canadian AF Members Posts: 6,317 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2014 #43
    1. The tour issue RAW finish wedges seem to be everywhere on tour. Were always trying to find a way to strip the existing finish to achieve this. Any chance we will see a TRUE RAW finish on the wedges, like the NIKE tour players? OR at least make it an order-able custom option? And more grind options, will we see more grind options?

2. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, confirm there will be a limited edition black, glued hosel tour head, just like Tigers red one?

3. The future of the Pro Combo Irons - will it be possible to order them in whatever configuration you want? Such as PC, CB & MB? I think TM has this market cornered w the new TP line, as they flow seamlessly. Give me the chance to configure my own Nike Combo Set, and Im all in!

4. Would you consider the first "GolfWRX visits the OVEN" a success and if so in what regards? And will there be a 2.0 visit? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Taylormade M1 440 9.5 | Kuro Kage DC 60 X
    Taylormade M2 15 | RIP Alpha B 70 X
    Callaway XHP 20 | RIP Alpha 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900T 4-PW | TI DGX100 ssx1
    Callaway MD3 RAW 52S / 56W | DGS300
    Nike Engage 60 TS | DGS300
    Taylormade Milled Collection Mullen 35"
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,265 ✭✭
    Echoing the sentiment of other GolfWRX'ers and not only being an avid golfer golfer but a self admitted sneaker head and collector of J's is there a planned release of a Jordan Brand golf shoe similiar to ones Keegan has worn? Maybe a nice elephant or concrete print with some infrared thrown in... Or some grape and gamma blue accents!! Good Lawd!!

Thanks for the oppurtunity here!
    Ping G410 Plus PX Small Batch Smoke Yellow 6.5
    Ping G 14.5 Fujikura VC TS 7.3x
    Ping i500 3i PX 6.5
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50 SS, 54 SS, 58ES PX 6.5
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne 4, Black Stealth Shaft, PP58
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,529 ✭✭
    Why are the new Toe sweep wedges cast and not forged?
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    Will Nike ever offer Raw wedges, more custom bounces, grinds , and stamping?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    When the first methods came you guys had a limited custom order made at the oven and came in a box. Do you think you guys will do something like that again?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    When will Tiger put the new RZN ball in play and what version will he play?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    How do you guys pick what shafts to put in your fitting carts?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    Will you guys ever open up a Nike fitting center kind of like Taylor made has?
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • slicktryslicktry @meximenno Members Posts: 2,540 ✭✭
    I know this has already been asked here, but it bears repeating. Why doesn't Nike release, and or sell, the tour versions of the balls???? I have had the chance to play with several tour only and they were exceptional.

2nd question: how many tour versions are available to the players? there were 19 versions last year iirc.

God Bless

Jer
    '17 M1 10.5* + w/ ATX Green 85TX
    '16 M2 DF 13* w/ DGSL X100
    16* Adams Red w/ DG X100
    20* Adams Red w/ DG X100
    4-PW ?????????????
    52* TM EF ATV w/ C Taper S+
    58* PM Grind w/ C Taper S+
    Spider Mini Tour Black 33.5" w/BGT Stability Shaft
  • UncleKevinUncleKevin Members Posts: 284
    - Will you be releasing a putter like Tommy Fleetwood's current gamer? I know the Mod 00 is similar but something without the lines would be amazing.

- The weights I see in putters like Paul Casey, are those interchangeable weights? If so, do you see those coming to retail anytime soon?

- I've been playing the One Tour D for a while now, which one of the new balls is similar?

- Is it true the staff has been playing the 2.0 for a while just with the 1.0 color way?

- What reasons made you guys bring the Kuro Kage TiNi to retail with the 2.0's? Pretty nice shaft offering for a stock shaft.

- I'm volunteering at Doral next week, any chance I can hang out in the tour van? image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />

I'm sure i'll think of more throughout the week. Thanks Nike and GolfWRX for putting this together!
    Nike Covert Perf - GD Tour AD-DI
    Nike VR Pro LTD 3W - Diamana Whiteboard
    Nike VR Pro LTD 5W - Diamana ilima
    Nike VR Pro Combos 4-P - KBS Tour
    Scotty Cameron Select GoLo
    Nike VR Pro 52-56-60 Wedges
  • Boogs2Boogs2 Turbulence is caused by air fish Members Posts: 8,483 ✭✭
    With the success of the FlexLoft system, what is one form of adjustment you would like to add to it? Possibly lie angle?
  • ParanormlParanorml chill bro Members Posts: 672 ✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2014 #54
    In the development of new drivers and lines what really drives the tech changes from one model to another, aside from user/player feedback; we saw the compression channel that helped immensely with contact lower on the face - and many were surprised when that was scrapped. With the introduction of the Covert series we are seeing the move to drivers with the CG closer to the face and new fly-brace technology that adds stability and forgiveness in the form of increased MOI to the head. Do the advancements in tech negate the need for past breakthroughs? Or does Nike think there would be some merit in a Covert that utilizes all things including a compression channel, or would that retract from MOI and distance advancements?
    M3 - Matrix Proto
    M1 15* - Tour AD
    Vapor Pro S400 / Miura CB SPB
    Scratch 53*, 59* S400
    Byron Morgan DH89SS 34"/355g
  • scottvw13scottvw13 VaporWRX!! Members Posts: 2,168 ✭✭
    OUZO Power wrote:

Question: Does the adjustment hosel on the Covert series truly separate loft and lie adjustment without one impacting the other when changed?

Thanks. And really appreciate it that Nike is opening the doors.

I guessed you missed the 2013 Nike chat...haha
  • Hokie2k5Hokie2k5 Members Posts: 1,187 ✭✭
    1 - How does the cover on the new RZN golf ball compare to some of the other premier tour golf balls? ie. Prov1, B330, etc. I have always liked the performance of the Titleist Pro V1 but I have found that some other brands tour balls hold up better and don't cut/scuff as easy when I hit wedge shots. I'm not a tour pro by any means so I want to make my ball last as long as possible.

2 - How does the new Covert Tour driver head compare spin-wise to competitors low spin offerings (SLDR, Big Bertha Alpha, Bridgestone J40)

3 - The $1,000,000 question I'm sure that everyone wants to know, why won't you release the Covert Tour 2.0 head in a black finish for players that prefer that color scheme over the red? I know the red stands out on tour but many of your common folk on here would (greatly) prefer a black or more neutral colored head. I know there are a lot of people that won't even consider the CT because of the red color.
    TS3 8.5* KKDC Silver TiNi 70TX
    917F2 15* Diamana LTD Blue 80TX
    816H1 19* MRC Tensei Blue 80X
    718 TMB 4-W KBS $-Taper S+
    SM7 50F/54S/58D KBS Tour S+
    Cameron 009 SSS 350
  • JPNC1977JPNC1977 Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    Big thank you to Nike and Golfwrx.

1. Great work on the new irons. Can you talk a little bit about how the VR-S 2.0 Covert irons came about and how they compare to the Machspeed irons from a few seasons back?

2. One of my dreams is to do a fitting at The Oven. Are there any plans to open this facility to us mere mortals for fittings, tour, etc
  • JHam10JHam10 Members Posts: 75
    What is the proess and how much is involved in testing/designing/creating an "Oven" putter specific to a player's needs?

Also, would love a NikeID option for the Lunar Controls... let's make that happen!
  • NTKT10NTKT10 Members Posts: 1,025 ✭✭
    With each new iteration of driver, Nike (and other club manufacturers) have been moving away from smaller, more compact driver heads such as the early Dymo 380, VR Tour, and VR LTD, and Covert Tour to larger 460cc heads. Going forward it seems much more likely that we will see a continued focus on increasing MOI and distance while maintaining the 460cc size. Has Nike experimented with shorter shafted smaller headed drivers that incorporate all of today's technology and do you think a time will come where we may see the form revert back to smaller sizes? I know many people, regardless of their skill level, prefer the appearance of the smaller head shape and would like to see a return to prominence. All this aside, Nike did a terrific job disguising the actual size of the Covert 2.0 Tour model. Thank you.
    Tourstage X drive 709 Diamana B 70
    TEE CB4 15* Attas T2
    TEE CB3 18* Exotics Motore
    Yamaha Inpres X V Forged 4-PW Modus 125
    Callaway MD3 52*/58*
    MannKrafted MA/66 #05/50
  • billehtbilleht #KittySticks Members Posts: 47
    edited Feb 27, 2014 #60
    Question 1: Are the Lunar Controls going to have NikeID?

Question 2: Are your tour driver's steering away from the smaller size i.e. 430cc (CT1.0) and be staying at 460cc?

Awesome questions by everyone so far. excited to hear answers!

p.s. how's this for awkward.. didn't see the two posts above mine when thinking of questions -__-
    Wilson ProStaff Oversized Driver 10.5*
    Wilson ProStaff Oversized 3W and 5W
    Dunlop Driving Iron
    Wilson ProStaff Oversized 3-PW
    WITB Link
    Golfsmith Professional Grind 56*
    Northwestern Tom Weiskopf 314 blade
  • golfnut88golfnut88 Members Posts: 385 ✭✭
    Hi Nike!

Great clubs both past and present. I currently play the 2014 Vr pro combos which I think are excellent and quite frankly the best I've come across for some forgiveness but extreme playability.

Q: How did this set not even get mentioned in the 2014 Golf Digest Hot List? Makes no sense to me.

Thanks.
    F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
    F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
    Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
    Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
    Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
    Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
    Callaway Chrome Soft Plus