2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your technique to stop nerves when putting

PingPoncho

When I practice putting, I sink alot of putts but when I am actually playing, nerves take over and I am afraid to hit the putt. I think I take too long a back swing and do not follow through but I am believe nerves play a big part of the problem.

Anything technique you use to relax so you can stroke the ball?

Any breathing techniques? Do you look at a particular spot when putting etc.

Anything you can suggest would help.

I am currently using a Odyssey White Hot XG Two ball putter which I just bought.

Thanks, I am sure others have the same problem.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read "Putting Out of Your Mind" by Bob Rotella. Nothing's helped me more as far as changing the way I focus on the putting green. The real key is eliminating concern about the result and spend your worrying on the process and the routine.

For me, I still miss putts, but it's not because of yips or flinching or heart rate.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 Stiff, +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

Switching to Geoff Mangums method of puting cured me of the y@#$. I highly recommend it, esp his discussion and tips on distance control. I have found I am more realxed because I am not as worried about judging the distance and I trust my stroke will send it the right distance. I think people get nervous when they get results oriented vs. process and he has a good process that if you trust your inate ability to trust distance then you should be ok.

This probably sounds silly but I use the "Go To Your Happy Place" routine. I just think of fun times, good moments, friends, family etc. that make me happy, and that usually calms down my nerves.

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Besides deep breathing and incorporating a pre shot routine, as has been mentioned, I tap the putter a few times behind the ball ever so slightly right before I make the stroke.

I'm not quite sure why or when I started doing it, but I guess it has the same effect a forward press has...a little movement to loosen things up a bit. Sort of strange, but it helps me for some reason.

I was watching Playing Lessons from the Pro's last week and was surprised to see that Aaron Oberholser does kind of the same thing. He copied it from Payne Stewart and it turns out I'm doing it pretty much the same way he did.

This seems to loosen the hand and arm muscles and frees me up to make a smooth stroke.

I write my score down before I get out of the cart. I always assume I'm going to two put so therefore I don't feel the pressure.

No really, I make myself calm down and take a deep breath. I have been thinking of Utley's book on making sure only your fingertips are touching the grip.

I have been meaning to read Rotella's book as I've heard great things about it.

Above I said "Putting Out of Your Mind" was excellent. I've rechecked my golf library and while that book is good, the one I was thinking of was "Extraordinary Putting." This is an excellent book that takes a new look at putting. It basically teaches putting with virtually no thought at all--just trusting your pure stroke to get the ball in the hole. The book is much more about the thought process while putting, rather than a mechanical how-to.

Super light grip. I noticed someones post on here stating to keep a super light grip to stop putting problems and it has worked very well for me. I think I use to try to control the putter too much with a stronger grip instead of making a smooth stroke. The super light grip has worked wonders for my putting, especially the 4-6 footers.

Bill3508

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

make a routine and stick to it for every putt. dont even let one get hit on the practice green without a routine. part of my routine that has helped me with putts around the 3-4 foot range is lining up every putt, then when i stand over it i dont even think about line, just speed. hardest part for me was trusting my read+placed line. once your comfortable its all money

Three things, pre-shot routine that is the EXACT same every time, breathing the same everytime, what i mean is that before every shot that i take, i take one deeeeeeep breath and then exhale all the air out of my lungs, that way i am not holding my breath and creating unnessesary tension, and finally, practice for $$$ on the putting green. Have contests and stuff like that, ie: closest to the hole for 10$ before your round so the butterflies are out of your stomach.

Grip pressure is the key for me. I try to remove all tension in my hands and forearms. That keeps it smooth for me.

Most people have a tendency to start nice and relaxed and then you can visibly see their forearm muscles tense up when they transition from the backstroke to throughstroke. That sudden tension causes that yippy stroke we all hate.

yes use your routine religiously. Do not deviate from it. Always stick to your routine.

Also when putting with others in your group, do not get caught up in being a 'golf-fan' and watch and wonder how their putts are doing (maybe just to see little breaks but nothing more). Concentrate on your ball and your ball alone. No need to say, "hey good putt' to each of your playing partners and agonize over their misses, pushes and pulls; just stay focused on your putt and your putt alone. Breathe easy and go through your routine when it's your turn, but tunnel-focused and very single-minded. Do not look at it any longer than you should, nor should you say anything to distract you (or newly said comments from others) - your routine should be with purpose and business-like.

I think that's one of the biggest problem mentally for golfers, it's that they begin internalizing their playing partner's game/emotions. You need to block out what's around you to fully concentrate....that includes your buddy who's always in your ear about this or that....

You must ensure that you are making the stroke in the here and now and not worrying about possible consequences or past failures. You may wish to incorporate a simple "clearing" action in your routine where you commit to making the stroke in the present - Providing a drop off point for nerves and negative thoughts.

• 1 year later...

I just have to say that I have overcome the y!&$...I had a bad case for about two years and now they are gone! My secret was actually spending time on the putting green at night, you can barely see the hole as it is, so there isn't really any pressure to make it anyways, however you start making a couple of them (eventually they fall) and then you think "I can make them at night, I can make them anytime." Now Im averaging about 28 putts/round... Try it out

Titleist 910 9.5 Tour AD DI 7x
TM 07 Burner TP 14.5 Redboard 70x
TM 07 Burner TP 17.5 Blueboard 70x
Titleist AP2 KBS Tour X
Cleveland 52, 58 DG Spinner
Scotty

There are a few good suggestions, some not very scientific ......... "chill" lol, that is actually a better suggestion than it sounds.

Different things work for different people, the guys talking about the importance of routine are spot on. It keeps you occupied when your under pressure. I would add to the above, trying holding your breath just before taking the putter back. Also, shortening the back stroke can help, it forces you to putt the ball through the line further because you'll come up short if you don't commit and it prevents decelerating.

Try to think this way, disassociate yourself from the end result, your job is to read the putt the best that you can and put a good smooth stroke through the ball along the line you have read. The rest is out of your hands, most will go in and some won't, that will never change. Missing putts doesn't mean your a bad putter. You can do 9 out of ten things right and miss, Invisible breaks etc.

Judge your putts on the chances they had of going in rather than the end result. I don't compare myself to anyone. I don't count my putts on any round, I just enjoy it and find ways to enjoy practicing. It's great for relaxing after work.

You'd be amazed how looking at the process differently changes the outcome.

I used to turn into a quivering mass every time I had to make a clutch putt.

What I did was force myself to like clutch putts. I went from "man I hope I don't miss this. It's worth $xxx!" to "I love this! I get to make a putt and watch the other guys cry ;)"

The tension is still there, as is the elevated heartrate. But when you focus on the positive things, somehow it turns from fear to excitement.

Try it, it worked for me.

PingPoncho,

You raise a very interesting question, namely the mental game of sport which many would argue is even more important than the physical game. Nevertheless such is generally neglected. If you are seriously willing to spend the time learning mental disciplines which will really assist you then if you e-m me direct I will provide a list of excellent books on the subject.

The only substitute to learning mental discpline (and it's hard work) is hypnotherapy. A clinical hypnotherapist can, with your consent, instal a 'trigger mechanism' so that for example when you pull your left thumb you move into a deep state of calm. It really does work.

Hokey makes good sense. That technique I call 'substituted emotion.' In the past I have for myself replaced fear with anger. You just need to ensure that the substituted emotion brings with it the sort of feelings which you personally can effectively re-cycle.

After the ball leaves the putter face one of two things are going to happen, it's going to go in the hole or it's not. All you can do is put a good stroke on the ball on what you think the correct line and speed are. After that you have no control. Once I embraced that way of thiking my putting improved.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra