Practice swing v real swing / making clean contact

j-danielj-daniel Members Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭
Hi guys and girls.

I have recently been offering advice to a friend who Is starting to get back into the game. She is a high handicapper in her mid 20s.

She has a lovely practice swing that's rhythmical and perfectly on plane which extends into a lovely follow through.

The only problem is that this Ian replicated in her actual swing with there being added movements and lots of tension. Which causes very poor strikes. Usually being very heavy as her weight doesn't move from her back foot forward through impact.

What are the best ways to try and help replicate the movements that are so brilliant during her practice swing and transfer them to here actual swing.

One thing I did think was maybe to help start learning the correct strike was to have her hitting off a lie board to help to get the feeling of hitting down and through the ball which surely can only come from transferring the weight forward in the swing.

Any thought would be greatly appriciated.

I will try and get a video if I can.

Many thanks

Jonny

Comments

• goobers80goobers80 gooberSammy - I have Autism Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore the ball is good advices. Also that a bad swing is meaningless. They happen ands until she gets better , more oftens thans not. I feels the extra movements by peoples is to hit the ball *harder* . It happens with the professionals too.
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Be Yourself Always
    Cobra F9Speedback 9* [/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway XR 16 [/font][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]3 wood
    Ping G30 Hybrid
    TaylorMade TP CB 5-PW
    Wilson Tour FG AMP 52* & 58* wedges
    See[color=rgb(255,0,0)]M[/color]ore X4 Nickel
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Black/Yellow Balls
    WITB Link[/font]
  • RBImGuyRBImGuy Banned Posts: 2,248
    j-daniel wrote:

Hi guys and girls.

I have recently been offering advice to a friend who Is starting to get back into the game. She is a high handicapper in her mid 20s.

She has a lovely practice swing that's rhythmical and perfectly on plane which extends into a lovely follow through.

The only problem is that this Ian replicated in her actual swing with there being added movements and lots of tension. Which causes very poor strikes. Usually being very heavy as her weight doesn't move from her back foot forward through impact.

What are the best ways to try and help replicate the movements that are so brilliant during her practice swing and transfer them to here actual swing.

One thing I did think was maybe to help start learning the correct strike was to have her hitting off a lie board to help to get the feeling of hitting down and through the ball which surely can only come from transferring the weight forward in the swing.

Many thanks

Jonny

girls tends to try do things perfectly.

tell her to speed up the swing until it goes into free flowing movement with the ball.

normally they simply slow down to hit things perfectly which is counterproductive.

then ask her if she hit the ball or the grass/mat first.

once she can distinguish when she does that can she improve with ball.
    Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
    300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
    Golf God
  • tinytimtinytim Members Posts: 848
    hitting the ball with closed eyes helps me, just getting focused on motion. if there is a ball or not, i cannot see. i just focus on my motion in mind.
  • AimeeAimee Members Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tinytim wrote:

hitting the ball with closed eyes helps me, just getting focused on motion. if there is a ball or not, i cannot see. i just focus on my motion in mind.
    +1...removing the visual distractions of target will make you "feel" the swing, the tempo, and the balance. Don't tell a new golfer to "hit down on the ball" because they will misinterpret this as scooping/digging or dipping into the downswing.
    It's not how...it's how many
  • golfingalgolfingal Winner Winner Chicken Dinner Members Posts: 135
    Most ladies "sweep" the ball anyway - especially at her handicap. She needs to just focus on making solid contact and developing consistency to start. She will enjoy it more if she can advance the ball in a straight line (more or less) and do well with chipping and putting.
    Ping G25 D, 3, 5, 7W
    Ping G25 Irons 2.25º Green Dot +1"
    Ping Tour Gorge 56º, 60º, Ping Glide 50º
    Odyssey Sabertooth Putter

p1690251376-2.jpg
  • ZeusdskZeusdsk Members Posts: 1
    j-daniel wrote:

Hi guys and girls.

Many thanks

Jonny

My theory is to build golfing tempo into the golf swing and develop it over period of 28 days to mitigate reversions in stressful moments. Take a look on how to develop good golfing tempo.http://www.havetempowillgolf.com
  • AugustokAugustok Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    Skip the practice swing except for short chips. You end up less tired at the end of the day without all those extra swings. Just grip, aim and fire.
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tempo, something that was always a focus in swing instruction back in the day.
    JP Used to say, “Ernie Els” during swing to develop a swing cadence...will try it again at the range.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file