2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Are the balls the PGA tour players use the same as Amateurs?

JohSte

The reason I ask is that Tour pros seem to smack the ball so far. I have a friend who is Australia's long drive champ and he said they use Pinnacle balls as they are the sponsor at the Long Drive Champs. Yes they are a rock but Tour Pros seem to have yardages that don't seem right.

You dictate the shot.
Taylor Made RBZ 2 Stiff
Titliest 910 Stiff 3 wood
Titleist ZB Irons
WITB Link

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1394193782' post='8818009']
A look at the list of conforming golf balls according to the USGA show that there are balls that never will be in stores for amateurs.

[url="https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/conforming_golf_ball.asp"]https://www.usga.org...g_golf_ball.asp[/url]
[/quote]

I'm keen to try the Danish Sjoot ball...

[quote name='JohSte' timestamp='1394187710' post='8817867']
The reason I ask is that Tour pros seem to smack the ball so far. I have a friend who is Australia's long drive champ and he said they use Pinnacle balls as they are the sponsor at the Long Drive Champs. Yes they are a rock but Tour Pros seem to have yardages that don't seem right.
[/quote]

Same ball. Different swing.

[quote name='Golf Monkey' timestamp='1394194226' post='8818031']
A look at the list of conforming golf balls according to the USGA show that there are balls that never will be in stores for amateurs.

[url="https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/conforming_golf_ball.asp"]https://www.usga.org...g_golf_ball.asp[/url]
[/quote]

[/quote]

....ha ha ha - oh yeah, what ever that is.....

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1394197680' post='8818251']
[quote name='Golf Monkey' timestamp='1394194226' post='8818031']

[/quote]

[/quote]

....ha ha ha - oh yeah, what ever that is.....
[/quote]

...it's on the list, honestly, click on the link...!

[/quote]

Exactly. This tells me that the manufacturers have tweaked them in some way for a certain number of pros. How many pros are using the balls that have been tweaked would be interesting to know. But, bottom line, the pros simply don't use equipment that is sold in stores. Most of them anyway. That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

[quote name='North Texas' timestamp='1394203130' post='8818829']

[/quote]

Exactly. This tells me that the manufacturers have tweaked them in some way for a certain number of pros. How many pros are using the balls that have been tweaked would be interesting to know. But, bottom line, the pros simply don't use equipment that is sold in stores. Most of them anyway. That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
[/quote]

After losing their appeal in federal court for false avertising, Nike has been forced to publicly admit the sorry truth: Tiger's balls are not for sale. Not to anyone, at any price.

The official Nike statement: "Tiger's balls are a closely guarded secret. Only a dozen people have ever seen them, and we swore we would show them to no-one."

You can bet that this goes for the majority of the top players on the tour.

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1394206775' post='8819243']
After losing their appeal in federal court for false avertising, Nike has been forced to publicly admit the sorry truth: Tiger's balls are not for sale. Not to anyone, at any price.

The official Nike statement: "Tiger's balls are a closely guarded secret. [b]Only a dozen people have ever seen them[/b], and we swore we would show them to no-one."

You can bet that this goes for the majority of the top players on the tour.
[/quote]
I thought the National Enquirer had the number at 121?

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Golf Monkey' timestamp='1394204493' post='8818985']
...other conforming balls that may help your game: The Phyz, the Personal Jesus, the Tonino Lamborghini, the Tri Cyber Nassau, Vice Golf ball, the Fountains of Youth ball and Austria's finest; the Komperdell Velocity. Never play the wrong ball again!
[/quote]

It's amazing, isn't it?! Nobody would think about golf balls hearing those names. And probably only a few people will ever hit those balls.

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1394206775' post='8819243']
"Tiger's balls are a closely guarded secret. Only a dozen people have ever seen them, and we swore we would show them to no-one."
[/quote]

I'll bet you could find a bunch of Perkin's waitresses that would disagee with that statement.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

The fairways the pros play on are usually very hard and closely mowed. If they hit the fairway they get 35 plus yards of roll, if not a lot more. That is the biggest difference, between where we play and they do.

Rogue ST ls 9 Ventus Blue tr stiff
Callaway Mavrik 15 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 Stiff
In search of Hybrid
Callaway apex 21 apex pro combo set 4-aw  $ taper stiff
Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60Tour V stiff
King Agera

[quote name='terapins' timestamp='1394286937' post='8825401']
The fairways the pros play on are usually very hard and closely mowed. If they hit the fairway they get 35 plus yards of roll, if not a lot more. That is the biggest difference, between where we play and they do.
[/quote]

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a HUGE factor when looking at the driving stats. I wish they would publish the stats for driver carry only without the roll.

As for the balls, I know for a fact that there are different balls out there for a few players .... but not that many. Tiger has always had a "Personal" ball since the Nike signing several years ago. Phil has helped develop a Callaway ball that will never see market. There are obviously several other players who use special manufactured balls. But the list might not be as large as some might think.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

To the OP's question, in the sense of do PGA Tour players have "special Kryptonite balls" that allow them to fly the ball farther and play better than you,,,um NO! All those balls have to pass USGA testing!

Give Adam Scott, Tiger Woods, or Rory a box of Titleist or Nike's right off the shelf of your local pro shop and they will go out and fire a 65 just as easy as anything. It's called talent!

The reason many companies have come out with softer "easier compressable" balls for amateurs is the fact that they cannot compress the Tour balls like the pro's do so they never get close to the distances or performance out of a Tour ball like they see on TV. So you will likely get better overall performance with one of those balls made for your swing speed versus a Tour ball, or play whatever you want. In the end for most amatuers it really doesn't matter until you learn how to solidly compress the ball.

same balls for the tour players, they just get the best of the best. I know tiger used to play balls that were no longer available retail and they were always number 1. some titleist guys still play really old models of the pro v1. other than that you can attribute to avoid average swing speedsof and perfectly fit clubs.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

Such ideas are a leftover of the necessary sorting from the days of Balata when a top player needed to sort through a gross of balls to separate the balls he would use for play from the balls he would use for practice games. Back then a ball was not to be relied upon for more than a few holes of use and every player who thought himself that good developed ways of sorting and testing them for a variety of defects that would get past the quality control of the factory.

Golf balls these days are built with much greater quality and reliability but the old necessities live on as calming ceremonies and hazy ideas.

Shambles

[quote name='terapins' timestamp='1394286937' post='8825401']
[/quote]

I don't know about this... Most tour events I have been to, tour pros hit the ball really really high (alot higher than it seems on tv), even with the driver. It seems the majority I've seen in person hit and stop after about 5-8 yards even in the fairway.

To answer the original question, the guys that play the standard ball (take Titleist as an example) play the same exact ProV1 or X that we can buy. That being said, Titleist does have different versions like the + ball, and possibly a few others that we cannot buy.

Edit:
I even remember seeing a tour players drive stop and spin back a foot. I can't remember who it was exactly but that was this past year, and I followed DLIII, Jonathan Byrd, and Lucas Glover, it was a nice sunny day too, not wet.

TSR3 8 - Ventus Black 6x
TaylorMade Stealth + 15 - Ventus TR 8x
Titleist T150 3 - Modus 3 120x
Titleist T100 4-PW - Modus 3 120x
SM9 50, 56, 60 - Modus 3 120x
LAB

I wouldn't be surprised if Tour balls are slightly different that the ones we can buy, but their 115-125 MPH swing speeds are the real reason pros hit the ball so far. Balls just tailored to their swings. Same ball probably hurts amateurs.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='CallawayKid86' timestamp='1394315663' post='8827967']
same balls for the tour players, they just get the best of the best. I know tiger used to play balls that were no longer available retail and they were always number 1. some titleist guys still play really old models of the pro v1. other than that you can attribute to avoid average swing speedsof and perfectly fit clubs.
[/quote]

Sorry, but you're absolutely WRONG. There are several balls on tour that are not available to the general public. No rumor or opinion, just FACT.

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

Some people seem to be thinking that these balls are hot but that is not the case. They are just tweeked for certain swings. When they Pro v1 came out there was also a star and diamond version that some pros used. When the TW came out it was because of demand and was not exactly the same as Tigers ball because frankly unless your numbers matched his it wasnt going to do you any good.

There are slightly different versions for certain swings but they are still legal and not the Holy Grail of distance. Work on your swing as much as they do ( first priority) instead of seeking a magic formula based on equipment. They hit the ball better because they are better, end of story.

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1394323578' post='8828627']
Some people seem to be thinking that these balls are hot but that is not the case. They are just tweeked for certain swings.
[/quote]

:good:

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58

I'll probably have men in sunglasses at my door soon after I type this, but here goes.

Obviously not all balls are tested for USGA conformance. Samples of the model are tested at 120 MPH head speed and the launch data is used in a program that simulates trajectory. The limit is 317 yards.

In all manufacturing, there are variances. For example, within a batch of steel shafts, there are some that are better than others. The best ones tested after curing are reserved for tour players and (mostly Japanese) clubmakers that pay a premium for those shafts. They lesser quality shafts are cheaper.

The same is true for golf balls. Balls are separated after manufacturing and the conforming, yet better performing (wink) balls end up in the lockers of the tour pros sponsored by the ball manufacturer.

So there you have it. You're playing the same equipment just like you're driving the same Chevy you see in a NASCAR race

I'll be right back. There's a noise outside my win

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

I would be interested to know what your player is using a ball that was never released top the public. I know of a few that used prototype versions, but most of those eventually came out to the public in a later model.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1394323242' post='8828577']
[/quote]

Sorry, but you're absolutely WRONG. There are several balls on tour that are not available to the general public. No rumor or opinion, just FACT.
[/quote]

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

Most balls on tour are the same ones you can buy off the shelf.
Some tour players have special balls that are on the conforming list that are not mass produced. Generally these balls are not any longer, and actually may be shorter than OTR balls. Often a pro will want more spin, less spin or different launch angles than the OTR balls.
Often a pros "top secret" ball is actually just an older version of a ProV etc. that is no longer produced...say a 2009 version that they are fond of.

All balls the tour pros use are on the conforming list, they are not going to fly any longer than most any ball being that if they did they would be non conforming. The reason tour pros hit the ball so far is talent, practice and technique.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='CallawayKid86' timestamp='1394373855' post='8831191']
I would be interested to know what your player is using a ball that was never released top the public. I know of a few that used prototype versions, but most of those eventually came out to the public in a later model.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1394323242' post='8828577']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Look ... there are over TEN different models of ProV1x on the conforming list. Do you see ten different offerings in your local stores? Check the list for yourself. Why would Titleist and the other manufacturers send balls to the USGA to have them approved with no intentions of selling them? For tour use, that's why. I haven't had any contact with any touring professionals in a few years, so the situation might have changed. But I highly doubt it. Tiger is playing a Nike ball currently that is not available to the public. And if memory serves, Bubba Watson is playing a Titleist prototype that is on the list but not available for resale. If you insist, I'll be more than glad to make a few phone calls next week to get definite information for you.

This topic is about balls, but I can assure you that there are grips, shafts, shoes, and everything else on the tour that the general public will NEVER see. Those players get things specially built for them if they ask and the manufacturers can make it happen. There have been driver heads made without the alignment aid that the retail models had. Phil Mickelson had a set of Callaway blades that were never offered for sale in the left-handed model. Years ago Orlimar made a fairway head that was different from anything they ever offered to the public. Scotty Cameron has several bags full of putters at every tour event, and a bunch of them have never been offered for resale and may never be. Ever seen a Titleist 970 fairway head? They were "tour only" and were never sold at retail. It's out there every week, and it will continue to be.

Heck ... Nike carries (or ships) balls to every tour event for Tiger to PRACTICE with. It's obvious that it isn't a public offering or they wouldn't go to that extreme. THAT'S the example you asked for, btw.

And like was said several times already .... it makes no difference to us one way or another. They hit it a mile because they CAN. Not because of the ball (or the equipment).

TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58