Trackman radiation?

RanchobobRanchobob Seventeen plane swingMembers Posts: 623
Am I the only one who wonders about the long term effects of folks spending hours and hours standing in front of a radar hitting balls?

I realize this may be a staggeringly ignorant concern, but I'm happy to be educated.

I found this link that basically says, "we don't see any risk, but more studies would be desirable." http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/fs226/en/

Comments

• Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,870 ✭✭
    The radiation from a trackman is nothing compared to what you experience everyday. You walk through wifi networks, wireless phones networks, radio wave, stuff coming down from the sun and outer space, and you carry a cell phone in your pocket. Here is a good little info graphic to show how little something like that would actually put off compared to serious sources, http://xkcd.com/radiation/.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,457 ✭✭
    Not to mention Fukashima radiation on the west coast
  • ovibovib Unregistered Posts: 153
    Yes you are.

I work for a nuclear reactor designand maintenance company and we have our doses measured every day and we are still far away from any dangerous levels. Same applies to people that actually work on site. Track man will never get close to that so I think you are fine image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Taylormade R1
    Titleist 913F 15*(set to 16.5*)
    Taylormade Rescue11 19*
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW
    Vokey SM4 50*, TVD-K 56 (bent to 55)
    SC Select Newport 2
  • rbhan12rbhan12 Be the person your dog thinks you are. Members Posts: 4,332
    An old lady tried to tell me her life changed when she removed all wireless related object out of her home. She felt better, health improved, etc. By the way she said she was an artist.

My mom always told me a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.
  • RanchobobRanchobob Seventeen plane swing Members Posts: 623
    Krt22 wrote:

Not to mention Fukashima radiation on the west coast

I like my sushi glowing. The place I go to is kind of dimly lit. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • TheSphynxTheSphynx “When is the next sloth eyed shootout?” Las VegasMembers Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Trackman radiation isn't ionizing. It doesn't have the ability to disrupt electron bonds within a molecule like an xray photon does.

People should worry about covering their neck (thyroid) when they get a dental xray instead of worrying if a cell phone in your pocket will fry your nut sack.
    AGBear wrote:

Trackman radiation isn't ionizing. It doesn't have the ability to disrupt electron bonds within a molecule like an xray photon does.

People should worry about covering their neck (thyroid) when they get a dental xray instead of worrying if a cell phone in your pocket will fry your nut sack.

Ah the wonders people learn from science courses
  • TheSphynxTheSphynx “When is the next sloth eyed shootout?” Las VegasMembers Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    rbhan12 wrote:

AGBear wrote:

Ah the wonders people learn from science courses

Yes. Science courses. All that went towards a degree and a career dealing with ionizing radiation.

Don't make stupid assumptions.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,891 ✭✭
    I think most folks find themselves much shorter after their first few Trackman sessions, but then the effect seems to normalize.

lol
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 6,018 ✭✭

I think most folks find themselves much shorter after their first few Trackman sessions, but then the effect seems to normalize.

lol

Perfect.
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
    I've heard rumors that the radiation from golf galaxy simulators causes genetic mutations that turns the average golfer into a 215 yard 7 iron hitting megabeast
    AGBear wrote:

Fortunately I'm snipped, so I set that cell phone on vibrate and stick it as deep into my front pocket as it'll go. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Thanks, all. Not something I gave any real worry to, but was curious.

Can you explain ionizing vs non-ionizing radiation? What's different between my dentist zapping me and Trackman zapping me?
    Ranchobob wrote:

AGBear wrote:

Fortunately I'm snipped, so I set that cell phone on vibrate and stick it as deep into my front pocket as it'll go. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Thanks, all. Not something I gave any real worry to, but was curious.

Can you explain ionizing vs non-ionizing radiation? What's different between my dentist zapping me and Trackman zapping me?

So to make it as simple as possible, x-rays are a much higher energy form of light than radar waves. All molecules have something called ionization potential: the energy needed to cause the bonds of a molecule to break. X-rays have the capability to do such a thing, whereas the trackman radar waves are VERY VERY VERY far from doing so. Make sense? If not shoot either myself or AGBear a PM, I'm sure he'd be just as happy as I am to elaborate further.
    Nope, that makes sense. I've got a passing familiarity with the electromagnetic spectrum, just didn't think it through.

Thanks!
  • cdndudecdndude Unregistered Posts: 76
    Wear lead lined clothes like they do in the hospital!
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    Don't believe these guys, sell your TrackMan to me NOW!!!!!!!!!!

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • bruinsPATSirishbruinsPATSirish Golf is hard. Members Posts: 6,429
    AGBear wrote:

Congrats I just sucked water up my nose on that one. Thanks for the good laugh!
    bruinsPATSirish WITB!
    Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
    Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
    Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole
  • robertwrobertw Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    We measured more EMF radiating from our monitors and other every day devices than we did from our Trackman. We were surprised at how low the Trackman reading was.
    "...how about an easy 2"
  • From_Parts_UnknownFrom_Parts_Unknown Members Posts: 1,801 ✭✭
    So that's why the pros have lead tape on their clubs...
  • grochol17grochol17 Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    rbhan12 wrote:

Basically you have to get past the visibile light spectrum (into UV and higher frequency) to start worrying about health effects.

The only exception to this is if the trackman were using microwaves. Even though they are very low energy they cause water molecules to vibrate; if you were standing in front of one for long enough, the vibration of the water molecules in your body would cause you to heat up. In grad school, I had a professor that said he and his friends used to play chicken with the microwave wave guide… they'd each take turns standing in front of it and see who could stay there the longest while they heated up from the inside. Of course, microwaves only hurt you if you stand in front of them long enough to cook yourself. The professor lived until he was about 89, playing tennis twice a week until he died of old age.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
    grochol17 wrote:

rbhan12 wrote:

Basically you have to get past the visibile light spectrum (into UV and higher frequency) to start worrying about health effects.

The only exception to this is if the trackman were using microwaves. Even though they are very low energy they cause water molecules to vibrate; if you were standing in front of one for long enough, the vibration of the water molecules in your body would cause you to heat up. In grad school, I had a professor that said he and his friends used to play chicken with the microwave wave guide… they'd each take turns standing in front of it and see who could stay there the longest while they heated up from the inside. Of course, microwaves only hurt you if you stand in front of them long enough to cook yourself. The professor lived until he was about 89, playing tennis twice a week until he died of old age.

Trackman uses radar, so it's radio waves.
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,230 ✭✭
    rbhan12 wrote:

An old lady tried to tell me her life changed when she removed all wireless related object out of her home. She felt better, health improved, etc. By the way she said she was an artist.

Of course she did!. No more text messages or e-mails or phone calls!
  • grochol17grochol17 Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    rbhan12 wrote:

grochol17 wrote:

rbhan12 wrote:

Microwaves are on the high energy end of the radio wave regime and considered by some people to be the same part of the spectrum. From a NASA website on microwaves:

"Radar is an acronym for "radio detection and ranging". Radar was developed to detect objects and determine their range (or position) by transmitting short bursts of microwaves."

But, your point is taken that the trackman people would be smart enough to not use the wavelengths of light that are going to cook their customers. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
  • QEightQEight FinlandMembers Posts: 3,422 ✭✭
    rbhan12 wrote:

grochol17 wrote:

rbhan12 wrote:

The only exception to this is if the trackman were using microwaves.

Trackman uses microwave area of the radio spectrum (10GHz). But the power is very low.
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT