2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tour Balls..... Dramatic distance loss?

cincinnatikid

Has anyone else experienced a dramatic distance loss, 2 to 3 clubs, when using a tour level ball ? (ie. Pro V1/V1x, B330s) It got so bad that I actually switched to the Precept Lady IQ+ after reading Monte Scheinblum's article. 90% of the time I'm very happy with this ball, there are just a few courses I play that I can't hold the greens to save my life. The last tour level ball that I was able to hit the distances I knew I was capable of was the TP red.

Can anyone recommend a tour level ball that may be a little longer yet still soft? Wilson FG Tour?

Driver - Titleist 909D3 9.5°
Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16°
Hybrid - Wilson Staff DXI 22°
Irons - Wilson Staff Pi5 4-PW
Wedges - Wilson Staff 52/58/64°
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might lose a hint of distance (if any), but not 2-3 clubs. Something else going on here. To the question - yes, Fg Tour.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

It may not be 100% the ball but I don't doubt the OP's claim. I lose a full club when playing a ProV1 or other 4 piece tour ball as compared to using a 2-piece distance ball. I'm not a hack. My ball striking is consistent. I have played tournament golf. These are my personal results and others may have different experiences.

[quote name='cincinnatikid' timestamp='1394652442' post='8857209']
Has anyone else experienced a dramatic distance loss, 2 to 3 clubs, when using a tour level ball ? (ie. Pro V1/V1x, B330s) It got so bad that I actually switched to the Precept Lady IQ+ after reading Monte Scheinblum's article. 90% of the time I'm very happy with this ball, there are just a few courses I play that I can't hold the greens to save my life. The last tour level ball that I was able to hit the distances I knew I was capable of was the TP red.

Can anyone recommend a tour level ball that may be a little longer yet still soft? Wilson FG Tour?
[/quote]

Haha don't know how you managed to believe this but in pretty sure I saw a chart on here where they took about 20 different ball from urethane to the hardest of hard and there wasn't but like a 4-5 yard difference between the longest and shortest with a driver. Pretty sure it was done on an iron byron

There probably is an optimal compression, construction/dimension, dimple design, etc for a given swing, but there are far too many variables (not to mention the fact that 99% of swings are not consistent enough to be considered a constant) to make that determination.

The Bridgestone B330RX / RXS and Srixon ZStar SL are the lowest overall compression urethane balls on the market so I recommend trying those if you've had better luck with lower compression balls in the past.

I lost a ton of distance (approx 35yds w/Driver) with a proV1 once and immediately thought of monte's lady precept post. Then I took a closer look at the ball , it was a refurb. Lesson learned : I don't play with found balls anymore :) .

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

I hit the Lady IQ+, the ProV1x, the Chrome+, and the Lethal the same distance within the normal margin of swing error.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Happens to me. I'm going to play rocks for a while and see how my scores turn out.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

The Bridgestone B330-RX is the lowest compression tour ball on the market today. Give it a try.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Never had quite that much distance loss. Is your ball ballooning and just falling out of the sky? I picked up some TP Black LDP and they are a pretty good ball in my opinion for a good price through lost golf balls. You can look at the Q Star from srixon too. They are really soft feel, but less spin than a tour ball. I haven't played the new ones with spin skin, but the old ones are pretty good for bump and run chips and one to two hops and stop on full wedge shots.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1394684302' post='8860749']
The Bridgestone B330-RX is the lowest compression tour ball on the market today. Give it a try.
[/quote]

Just picked up a box of these hopefully they work out. I always seem to do better with a lower compression ball.

[quote name='jasonTeI3' timestamp='1394663148' post='8858445']

[/quote]

Haha don't know how you managed to believe this but in pretty sure I saw a chart on here where they took about 20 different ball from urethane to the hardest of hard and there wasn't but like a 4-5 yard difference between the longest and shortest with a driver. Pretty sure it was done on an iron byron
[/quote]

I managed to not believe but find actual proof using a laser range finder and accurately measuring how short they come up. I've been as low as one handicap... Have gone up to a six and as much as I like to think of myself having an iron byron swing I don't, nobody does. Golf isn't a game of charts and machines and that's why almost anything is possible in golf.

[/quote]

In the last two weeks I have found just the opposite. For the last two months I have used both the Lady IQ+ and the Supersoft. Love the soft feel. Two weeks ago I went back to the ProV1X. Off the driver I hit the V1x longer and a few times a lot longer. Now with the irons the V1x might be a tad shorter on flush strikes and 1/2 club on mis hits. With the increase in distance and superior short game performance for me, I'm back to the Titleist.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Years ago, when the Pro V's first came out, I tried them-had trouble getting them airborne (90mph sp) - and lost a lot of distance (don't know exactly how much). So quit using "tour balls" - until last fall...Won a 12 pack of '13 Pro V1. Put them into play and, I was surprised, really didn't see any distance loss with irons or driver. Balls I'd used prior to the V1's were lower priced... a Calloway 3 piece, TM 2 piece, etc. I'll play the cheaper balls at the start of this year (if it ever comes) then pull the Pro V's out and give 'em a go. The only thing I don't like about the cheaper balls is their lack of spin around the green so am looking forward to seeing how the V1 performs (just played a couple rounds with them last year and they did stop a little quicker on that 50 yard shot.
How many rounds did you play with the tour balls? Maybe it was an anomaly and your swing was off a bit when u were trying them. Also, if it was cold, as another poster mentioned, you lose distance...more with a tour ball than a good 2 piece.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1394737643' post='8864463']
It's in your mind but thst doesn't mean you shouldn't just change to some other ball. Probably easier and cheaper than changing your mind.
[/quote]

Quit playing all your current balls right now. Go buy a sleeve of 4 or 5 different balls you've never played before and pick a winner from that and move on.

I'm not joking either, as it has to be in your head, or it's a bad lot of balls. Apologies, I am in the 'no way 2/3 clubs difference' camp and off the top of my head that must be the only way to move forward and get it out of your head.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ok, so I've rounded up a sleeve of almost every tour ball on the market and found a local shop that rents time on a Trackman by the hour. So, what results are going to be important to consider? (ie. ball speed, launch spin etc.) Is five or six solid strikes enough with each ball? Finally what clubs should I test? I was thinking driver, 4 iron, 8 iron and maybe 58 degree wedge.

Ball speed.

The kind of distance differentials you're reporting don't come from slightly different spin rates or even more slightly different launch angles between ball models. Any ball that travels 30 yards shorter than another ball hit with the same club has a much lower ball speed. No way around it.

I have a relatively low swing speed (90ish) but have not noticed any significant loss in distance with the Prov1X or Lethal when I played them, which I do not normally. I hit the Gamer Tour and RBZ U a good distance, maybe 5 yards longer with the Driver than the pro tour balls. The biggest difference is that I am more likely to be in the rough with the pro balls off the tee thanks to my swing.

No dramatic loss at all. 2-3 clubs? Now that's being dramatic.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='cincinnatikid' timestamp='1395253450' post='8905435']
Ok, so I've rounded up a sleeve of almost every tour ball on the market and found a local shop that rents time on a Trackman by the hour. So, what results are going to be important to consider? (ie. ball speed, launch spin etc.) Is five or six solid strikes enough with each ball? Finally what clubs should I test? I was thinking driver, 4 iron, 8 iron and maybe 58 degree wedge.
[/quote]

For the money you spent on balls, you could have seen a pro to find out what the real problem is. Just saying...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1394684302' post='8860749']
[/quote]
I think calling it a tour ball is a bit of a stretch. Most Bridgestone staff play the B330/S. I've tried the RX and they were crap, not remotely like a tour ball imo.