2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TaylorMade Tour Preferred balls - very pronounced seam

keith723

I just picked up a dozen TaylorMade Tour Preferred balls at a steep discount ($17.97 thanks to Wal-Mart having them in the SuperDeep ball section instead of the Tour Preferred area and they actually rang up for that price too - obviously an error). I've not had a chance to get a round in with them yet but I noticed that they have a very pronounced seam - anyone else notice this? It is so pronounced you can easily see it and feel it with your finger. Also the logo is printed across the seam, likely to promote you to line the seam up for putts and drives....

is this a ball where you have to seam it in-line on tee shots and putts or can this just be ignored? Anyone have experience? Reminds me of when the Pro V1s first came out and all the pros were talking about having to seam the ball on tee shots, etc.

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some photo of TM TP balls in this thread. I sure couldn't see or feel a seam. Not that your observations are doubted, just not shared.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/976204-taylormade-tour-preferred-and-tour-preferred-x-golf-ball-member-testing-and-review/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/976204-taylormade-tour-preferred-and-tour-preferred-x-golf-ball-member-testing-and-review/[/url]

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='keith723' timestamp='1395210972' post='8902705']
I just picked up a dozen TaylorMade Tour Preferred balls at a steep discount ($17.97 thanks to Wal-Mart having them in the SuperDeep ball section instead of the Tour Preferred area and they actually rang up for that price too - obviously an error). I've not had a chance to get a round in with them yet but I noticed that they have a very pronounced seam - anyone else notice this? It is so pronounced you can easily see it and feel it with your finger. Also the logo is printed across the seam, likely to promote you to line the seam up for putts and drives....

is this a ball where you have to seam it in-line on tee shots and putts or can this just be ignored? Anyone have experience? Reminds me of when the Pro V1s first came out and all the pros were talking about having to seam the ball on tee shots, etc.
[/quote]

OP are you talking about the older TP black/red golf balls at WalMart? Totally different golf ball the the new Tour Preferred/Tour Preferred X.

The older ball had a more noticeable seam. I always put a putting line on the seam for putting and lining up tee shots.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1395284098' post='8908843']
[quote name='keith723' timestamp='1395210972' post='8902705']

[/quote]

OP are you talking about the older TP black/red golf balls at WalMart? Totally different golf ball the the new Tour Preferred/Tour Preferred X.

The older ball had a more noticeable seam. I always put a putting line on the seam for putting and lining up tee shots.
[/quote]

Nope - I am referring to the new 2014 Tour Preferred. I tried to take a pic to post but I couldn't get it to show up in the camera although I'll reiterate that you can see it and feel it. I putt a few against the seam and I could not see any difference in how straight the ball was going, seamed or un-seamed yielded the same result.

I've liked a lot of TM releases for balls since the TM Red LDP so I'll be excited to test this one out.

In any event - I had to stop by Wal-Mart again today and they did have them in the right spot so they were able to correct it after I pointed it out - they were nice enough to give me the dozen the other day at that price so that was good of them - I certainly did not expect them to do that...nice gesture though

I've been playing the Lethal for quite a few rounds now. Like most balls I can identify where the halves fit together if I look closely. In fact, the Lethal is one of the more obvious ones. You can just about see it at arms length.

But damned if I can feel it. Are you saying there's a raised ridge? Or a low spot? Because I can close my eyes and run a finger across it as much as I like without feeling anything different.

TM has not been able to figure out how to hide their hemispherical seam for a while now. You really want to see evidence of it: look at a RBZ Urethane from last year. I really cant see it affecting performance though, because their balls have a pretty loyal fan base, and you don't get that from churning out balls that don't fly right.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395425337' post='8919413']
I've been playing the Lethal for quite a few rounds now. Like most balls I can identify where the halves fit together if I look closely. In fact, the Lethal is one of the more obvious ones. You can just about see it at arms length.

But damned if I can feel it. Are you saying there's a raised ridge? Or a low spot? Because I can close my eyes and run a finger across it as much as I like without feeling anything different.
[/quote]

I have a box of Lethals too & I cannot feel the seam with my finger on the Lethals but I can definitely feel the seam (yes a slightly raised ridge) with my finger on the new Tour Preferreds (regular version, I've not held the TP X)

I was putting & chipping with them this weekend & does not effect performance in my experience but I've not yet played a round with them - seem to be very good balls so far

Someone should spin balance these balls and see how that compares to the seam....just a thought.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Taylormade lags so far behind everyone else in the golf ball category it really is not funny. The only thing in this part of golf they have given us in the past 4 years is the 5 layer ball, a ball that so very few of us can actually compress properly, yet through excellent advertising people still purchase. Personally, I would love to see them step up their game, but if people keep buying product, why would they?

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

When a ball goes just as far as any other, spins enough to stop quickly on approach shots and is reasonably durable then I don't actually give a s*** whether or not I can "compress it properly" do I? I'm not out there squeezing a ball in a compression tester I'm just hitting it with a golf club. Those horribly deficient 5-piece Taylormade balls seem to work as well as anything.

I am going to have agree with Fourmyle. The TaylorMade Lethal is on the best balls I have played stable in the wind, and checks well on the greens. I have no problem going back and forth between them and Titleist ProV1x and Srixon Z-Star XVs. I have no idea about the compression angle as I think this has been somewhat disproven by Titleist, but for me they work.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

I am no TM fan. I think they are more marketing than anything else. But their golf balls are as good as any out there. My driver SS tops out at 100 and the Lethal does everything I want it to.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='keith723' timestamp='1395607716' post='8932931']

[/quote]

I have a box of Lethals too & I cannot feel the seam with my finger on the Lethals but I can definitely feel the seam (y[b]es a slightly raised ridge)[/b] with my finger on the new Tour Preferreds (regular version, I've not held the TP X)

I was putting & chipping with them this weekend & does not effect performance in my experience but I've not yet played a round with them - seem to be very good balls so far
[/quote]

Maybe that's why they were on sale at Wal-Mart.

I've been playing the Lethal for 12-15 rounds now. And I'll admit that lately I was starting to wonder if maybe I was somehow not getting my normal distances. Especially with the driver.

Then a few days ago I visited my teaching-pro buddy who straightened out a bit of an "issue" with my grip. So I got that back on track, this past weekend it warmed up to the upper-60's temps and BOOM now I'm hitting everything as far as I expect (or as short as I expect ;-).

Funny how you read all this forum gobbledegook and the thought lodges in the back of you mind...maybe it IS the ball...

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1395761141' post='8946929']
[quote name='keith723' timestamp='1395607716' post='8932931']

[/quote]

I have a box of Lethals too & I cannot feel the seam with my finger on the Lethals but I can definitely feel the seam (y[b]es a slightly raised ridge)[/b] with my finger on the new Tour Preferreds (regular version, I've not held the TP X)

[/quote]

Maybe that's why they were on sale at Wal-Mart.
[/quote]

The Tour Preferred X will be on sale at Wal-Mart this time next year.

As opposed to the Nike balls and Callaway balls and, well, darned near everything but Titleist balls on sale at Wal-Mart.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395741359' post='8945353']
When a ball goes just as far as any other, spins enough to stop quickly on approach shots and is reasonably durable then I don't actually give a s*** whether or not I can "compress it properly" do I? I'm not out there squeezing a ball in a compression tester I'm just hitting it with a golf club. Those horribly deficient 5-piece Taylormade balls seem to work as well as anything.
[/quote]

Do you realize who you are right now? Your the guy who always buys off the rack golf clubs. "They work just as good! They do everything I need them to do! Getting custom fit for clubs is hooey, just another way for retailers to get money from you!" Whatever you say, bub.

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1395766538' post='8947655']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395741359' post='8945353']
[/quote]

Do you realize who you are right now? Your the guy who always buys off the rack golf clubs. "They work just as good! They do everything I need them to do! Getting custom fit for clubs is hooey, just another way for retailers to get money from you!" Whatever you say, bub.
[/quote]

Easy now...no need to characterize folks like that just because they disagree with you.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

So is the Lethal's lie too flat for me? Is it making my tempo too quick?

There are only two things a ball can do if it does not "fit" my game. Fly too short or react in the wrong way when it hits the ground.

Numbers on a compression tester are totally unrelated to those things. And you or anyone else has ever shown a single shred of evidence otherwise.

Forgive me if I trust the distance I see and the spin I see over your dire warnings about not compressing the ball. If it were not compressing and rebounding correctly it would not be flying and spinning correctly. But it does, so it is.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395767226' post='8947739']
So is the Lethal's lie too flat for me? Is it making my tempo too quick?

There are only two things a ball can do if it does not "fit" my game. Fly too short or react in the wrong way when it hits the ground.

Numbers on a compression tester are totally unrelated to those things. And you or anyone else has ever shown a single shred of evidence otherwise.

Forgive me if I trust the distance I see and the spin I see over your dire warnings about not compressing the ball. If it were not compressing and rebounding correctly it would not be flying and spinning correctly. But it does, so it is.
[/quote]
Fair enough. Please understand that compression is not an end all be all, but does factor into it in a MAJOR way in terms of getting optimal #'s.

Optimal numbers (presuming you're mostly talking about driver) may be a much bigger deal for someone with 160mph ball speeds than it is for my puny high-120's. My driver trajectory is darned near ballistic anyway. Even if I'm nowhere near optimum spin, we're talking a distance cost in the low single-digit yards of carry.

All I know is I've played balls with nearly a 2:1 range of compression numbers (from just under 70 to around 120) and never noticed any trend in distance or trajectory off my driver or my irons. Some of the high compression balls fly a tiny bit higher or lower, some of the low compression balls do too.

What really matters is the cover, what it's made of and how soft it is. That's a pretty big deal. Although I personally can play with a wide range of balls at no great inconvenience,someone with more clubhead speed and a spin-oriented short game probably needs to be picky about the cover. Compression? Second-order effect at most.

We're really talking about "optimal" as a criterion versus a simple "how far does it fly and how does it react when it lands" go/no-go decision. A lot of stuff matters if you want to dial things in to the nearest 300rpm of spin or 2/10 of a degree of trajectory. Most of those factors have minimal influence on whether a ball works or not. And I'll be darned if I can name any decent major-brand ball nowadays that fails to come within spitting distance of the same carry as all the others, with my swing or anyone else's I've played golf with. I just don't meet anyone in the real world who tweaks their ball choice and picks up 10 or 15 yards of distance.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1395768188' post='8947843']
Optimal numbers (presuming you're mostly talking about driver) may be a much bigger deal for someone with 160mph ball speeds than it is for my puny high-120's. My driver trajectory is darned near ballistic anyway. Even if I'm nowhere near optimum spin, we're talking a distance cost in the low single-digit yards of carry.

All I know is I've played balls with nearly a 2:1 range of compression numbers (from just under 70 to around 120) and never noticed any trend in distance or trajectory off my driver or my irons. Some of the high compression balls fly a tiny bit higher or lower, some of the low compression balls do too.

What really matters is the cover, what it's made of and how soft it is. That's a pretty big deal. Although I personally can play with a wide range of balls at no great inconvenience,someone with more clubhead speed and a spin-oriented short game probably needs to be picky about the cover. Compression? Second-order effect at most.

We're really talking about "optimal" as a criterion versus a simple "how far does it fly and how does it react when it lands" go/no-go decision. A lot of stuff matters if you want to dial things in to the nearest 300rpm of spin or 2/10 of a degree of trajectory. Most of those factors have minimal influence on whether a ball works or not. And I'll be darned if I can name any decent major-brand ball nowadays that fails to come within spitting distance of the same carry as all the others, with my swing or anyone else's I've played golf with. I just don't meet anyone in the real world who tweaks their ball choice and picks up 10 or 15 yards of distance.
[/quote]

See, excuse me for being offended, but you are taking a massive dump on the job that I have had the last year of my life (Ball Fitter with Bridgestone Golf). Regardless of if its a Bridgestone or not, I have seen, with my own eyes, people get these gains you call impossible with the right golf ball, ESPECIALLY with 120mph ball speeds. The guys with 160 ball speeds, they are hitting it so pure, there typically really isn't much difference in distance, it's dispersion that comes into factor most. But people with 120mph ball speeds, I have seen so, so many huge differences.

Sorry guys, I just don't see it. I have a Lethal in one hand and a TP X in the other. I'll be darned if I see anything that remotely resembles a seam. HAve you got a pic of one of these balls that shows the seam? Just so others ( me ) who may be inspecting these things themselves can see what you are talking about.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Not trying to dump on you or anyone. Just sharing my observations of my own game and the guys I play golf with. And an awful lot of them play Bridgestone balls. When they switch from a e6 to a B330-RX or whatever, they end up hitting the same clubs into the same greens as before the switch. Can't say nobody has picked up five yard or something but I've just not seen any night or day improvements. Sorry.

P.S. And in fairness I have to say I've yet to see any miracle gains from club fitting (as opposed to ball fitting). Not with respect to distance. Sometimes guys feel they're more consistent or comfortable with their fitted clubs but I've never seen any results that translate to playing a different game or scoring noticeably better with fitted clubs. Not saying it doesn't happen, just never to anyone I'm around.

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1395770235' post='8948135']

[/quote]

See, excuse me for being offended, but you are taking a massive dump on the job that I have had the last year of my life (Ball Fitter with Bridgestone Golf). Regardless of if its a Bridgestone or not, I have seen, with my own eyes, people get these gains you call impossible with the right golf ball, ESPECIALLY with 120mph ball speeds. The guys with 160 ball speeds, they are hitting it so pure, there typically really isn't much difference in distance, it's dispersion that comes into factor most. But people with 120mph ball speeds, I have seen so, so many huge differences.
[/quote]
Gpro, In your opinion, what ball or balls work best for a ball speed of 120 - 130 mph?

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1395771267' post='8948289']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Gpro, In your opinion, what ball or balls work best for a ball speed of 120 - 130 mph?
[/quote]

[color=#282828] Ball speed, alone, tells me absolutely nothing. What's your handicap? Do you play a lot, a little? What ball do you currently play? What do you like, performance wise, about that golf ball? Do you have launch monitor numbers (averages) off the driver with this golf ball? What is your typical miss (hook, slice, push, pull, topped, whiff?) off of the tee? Do you typically hit the ball high or low? Do you have the ability to spin the ball on short chips and pitches (not do you want to, CAN YOU?)? What do you want to pay for a golf ball, under $30, or are you open to spending top dollar?[/color]
[color=#282828]All these factor in to what ball would be best for you. One piece a puzzle does not make. You have to have all the pieces to get a clear picture, then we can move on from there. [/color]

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1395771430' post='8948311']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1395771267' post='8948289']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Ball speed, alone, tells me absolutely nothing. What's your handicap? Do you play a lot, a little? What ball do you currently play? What do you like, performance wise, about that golf ball? Do you have launch monitor numbers (averages) off the driver with this golf ball? What is your typical miss (hook, slice, push, pull, topped, whiff?) off of the tee? Do you typically hit the ball high or low? Do you have the ability to spin the ball on short chips and pitches (not do you want to, CAN YOU?)? What do you want to pay for a golf ball, under $30, or are you open to spending top dollar?[/color]
[color=#282828]All these factor in to what ball would be best for you. One piece a puzzle does not make. You have to have all the pieces to get a clear picture, then we can move on from there. [/color]
[/quote]
Because I think this stuff is helpful to all, here goes:
HDCP is 13 ( been as low as 2 for several years).
NXT Tour
Flight scope puts me around 130 - 135 mph ball speed, SS between 91 - 95 mph
Typical miss is a push - push fade, sometimes pull draw. Mostly I hit the ball straight to a bit of a draw.
I typically hit the ball high
I can spin the ball on pitches & chips...moreso on pitches
Ball cost is not an issue as I am in the golf business but I would like to hear which balls in a few price ranges.
Thanks

Backspin rates? Sidespin rates?

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1395772486' post='8948447']
Backspin rates? Sidespin rates?
[/quote]
Alas, that is where I'm less than normal. Some days, BSpin is between 2 - 3000 rpm. Other days, it goes nuts and I lose a lot of distance. Spin axis is almost always left and except for the misses, quite acceptable. Swing path is to the right, around 5 -7* spin axis left from 1 - 4*. ....most of the time....