RECAP: LIVE Q&A with COBRA GOLF

Comments

• jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these Q&A threads, so thank you to WRX for hosting them and thank you to Cobra for taking the time to answer our questions!

What innovation in equipment technology over the last 4-5 years or so is Cobra most proud of?

How has becoming a part of Puma impacted Cobra's equipment business and strategy? How is it different now (if at all) than it was under Acushnet?
  • AdamB.AdamB. PUMA/Cobra Fanatic Members Posts: 203
    Thank you Cobra and WRX for this opportunity, big Cobra Fanatic! My question....

I did not see any new Forged/Pro Clubs on the horizon for Cobra, do you consider your BIO Cell+ line a Tour/Pro club line?
    Cobra BIO Cell+ 9.5* Driver Diamana D+ 72X
    Cobra BIO Cell+ 3/5 Wood Diamana D+ 72X

Cobra Fly-Z Forged 4-PW KBS Tour X
    Cobra Tour Trusty 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev X
    Cobra Cell Cart Bag
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    WITB Link
  • WVPWVP Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    jabrch wrote:
    BTW - You beat TM to the "loft up" concept years ago with the Long Tom... The market just didn't accept it the way I imagine you had hoped. I liked my Long Tom... probably the most underrated release in the past few years.

Not to derail, but that was more of a leader in the mini-driver trend (low loft, larger FW's) IMO. Definitely underrated, now every OEM has one out.
    Callaway BB Fusion – 9°
    Tour Edge CB5 – 16.5°
    Mizuno JPX 825 – 22°
    PING G30 – 5-UW
    Cleveland CBX – 54°
    Taylormade EF – 60° ATV
    Taylormade Juno
  • VolgolferVolgolfer Members Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for taking questions:

1. Will Cobra be offering a MyFLY8 adaptor with fad settings in place of draw settings?

2. Will there be other colors coming (hoping the hunter green, yellow, white...)
    Srixon Z585 4 & 5
    Srixon Z 785 6 - P
    Mizuno T 56/58/60
    Cobra LTD 10.5
    Titleist 909 3w & 5w
    Taylormade Spider
    Snell MTB-X
  • fishstix94fishstix94 Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭
    Does cobra plan on releasing any putters in the future? Also do they plan on releasing a players cavity iron line?

Thanks!
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2014 #37
    Sorry to be a downer, but this question is based on how I truly feel. The bio cell and bio cell + irons have been lambasted on WRX for their abysmal appearance. Even after seeing them in person a couple days ago,I still think they are bordering on hideous.

The 'line' I kept hearing from cobra sycophants was that the consumer needs 'to see' the tech in order to believe the tech.

Is this cobra's rallying cry for these irons? If so, it's an awful marketing plan IMHO. People don't need to 'see' the tech... They need to see the PERFORMANCE.

I was looking to go to a more GI club in the upcoming season (due to my current inability to practice and play a lot), and the bio cells were instantly ruled out due to how the looked. Which is a shame, because I have the S3 pro combos and cobra staff bag and I wanted to stay with the cobra family.

Please address the design behind the bio cell irons, and how such a monstrosity could make it all the way to market without someone saying 'STOP! These are ugly as sin!'

Thank you, and I apologize for my harshness. I love cobra & puma and hate to see what has happened here.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • fishstix94fishstix94 Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2014 #38
    One of the new trends in golf is driving irons and driving hybrids, does cobra plan on releasing their own version of one? Maybe a baffler driving iron? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • timbo08timbo08 Members Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any plans to release a Bio Cell driving iron?
  • ThatBigBenThatBigBen Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Is there going to be a new version of the Amp cell forged or is the Bio Cell+ irons somewhat filling that space with a similar head shape and tungsten weights?

Any plans to expand the special edition Masters/US Open colors to fairways/hybrids?
    WITB:

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha DBD16 Evenflow Blue
    3 Wood: Callaway XR Pro 15* Tensei Orange
    Hybrid: Cobra Bio Cell 19* Tensei Orange
    Irons: Miura CB/MB Combo Y Grind 4-PW
    Wedges: Miura 51*/55* PM Grind 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Ardmore
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance the rf proto blades could be available through venom vault?
    Cobra F9 10° w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
    TM M2 DF 16.5° w/ Diamana W80X
    Cobra F9 4 Iron w/ AD IZ 95X
    Miura CB57 4-PW w/ KBS Tour 130X
    Vokey SM4 52°/ Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60° w/ DG Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red 34"
  • wldchld22wldchld22 Members Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the difference in launch characteristics between bio cell and bio cell +?

Any more options coming to the trusty rusty wedge line? I thought they were very under rated last year!
  • youngwaldoyoungwaldo NJMembers Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any plans to release a 440cc or 430cc bio driver to compete with big names like Titleist and TaylorMade.

Wk
    M5 Tour 9.0 TENSEI TOUR ORANGE 60TX 45"   
    M5 3W TENSEI BLUE 70X
    Titleist TMB 3 Iron
    TM P730 4-PW NS Pro Tour 105X
    VOKEY SM6 Black 5208M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    VOKEY SM6 Black 5608M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    VOKEY SM6 Black 6008M TTDG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron 
  • caddyshack1885caddyshack1885 Members Posts: 4
    Ricky Fowler and Jonas Blixt are both playing the Bio Cell, not the "player's" head, Bio Cell +. Are they using stock Bio Cell heads or have they been issued prototype heads with weighting and center of gravity closer to the Bio Cell+? Would Cobra have them play the Bio Cell head as a marketing effort to push the Bio Cell to the mass majority of average golfers? Thanks!
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Cobra Golf,

What invested research are you currently working on that will put you on the map such as Taylormade and Callaway? It seems that those two companies are always tweeking and tinkering with different things; it put there drivers ahead of all other companies each year. I love that Cobra Golf has invested in color and flash but that won't put clubs in the hands of traditionalist, which we comprise of 45-65% of the market.

I really through you were going to break that mold when you came out with last years line of irons AMP Cell Pro's! But when I saw the Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ irons I think you took two steps back, too much!

Thanks for your time and thank for doing this with GolfWRX! I look forward to hearing what you have to say and I hope to one day TRY the AMP CELL PRO's because they are the best looking irons I have seen in a long time.

Fourpar18
  • castellarcastellar Members Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭
    1. It has been 4 years since Puma bought Cobra golf. In that time has the acquisition affected Cobra at an R&D level? If so how?

2. The club industry is widely becoming infamous as more of a marketing game rather than actual results driven R&D and products. What sets cobra apart and how do you continue to make advancements in technology in a time where everything is essentially "maxed out"?
  • Deng808Deng808 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    How big of a signing has Rickie Fowler been to the brand and how do you think he influences your brand as a whole?
  • gophers79gophers79 Members Posts: 141
    Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I play the original Cobra ZL and absolutely LOVE the driver. I haven't tried the ZL Encore, but do you have plans to continue making ZL (or ZL-like) drivers in the future?
    Cobra ZL @ 10.5*, Stock Stiff
    Cobra Fly-Z 5w 17*, Stock Stiff
    Titleist 910h 22.5* Project X HD2 6.0
    Adams CMB, C-Taper X, 4-GW
    SCOR 4161 54*, 58* KBS Genius 12 Firm
    Ping Ketsch, 33", Red Dot, Superstroke 3.0
  • tmcbigbluetmcbigblue Members Posts: 210
    I currently game a cobra amp driver 9.5 degree. I have the stock shaft in x flex and was wondering how much spin reduction to expect if I move to the Bio Cell with the stock shaft. I also game the s3 pro irons and they are awesome. Keep up the great work!
  • mcrobertsjmac32mcrobertsjmac32 Members Posts: 81
    With all the wedge customization out there why have you guys not jumped on board with paintfill and stamping options in the tour trustys? Also are there plans to bring out any new wedges in 2014?

<p>Bombtech Grenade 10.5 degree Matrix Radix S
    Walter Hagen 3iron HybridBen Hogan CFT Edge 4-EW S300
    Ping Eye 2 PW 50.5
    Tru-roll Brass Center Shaft</p>
  • 3 piece3 piece Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    What were the reasons for choosing tungsten as the material for the weights in the Bio Cell Irons?
  • 3 piece3 piece Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    As a major company in the golf industry, do you think all of the emphasis on hitting it long has cause some of the slow play in today's game?
    Any chance of a combo set for better players? Either with hybrids in the long irons or blades in the short irons?
  • Kylekoz17Kylekoz17 Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a purpose for the two toned paint job on the bio cell plus? I like the look of it, just wondering if there was another reason for it.
    Rogue Sub Zero 10.5 - Kuro Kage DC TX 60
    TI Taylormade ’16 M2 DF 16.5 - Attas 6star 7X
    '17 Taylormade M1 hybrid - Kuro Kage 80X
    Titleist 716 TMB 3-5 iron AMT X100
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-pw AMT X100
    Custom Oven grind Nike Engage 50 sq, 56 toe sweep
    Custom 1/1 Rory Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01
  • golf0101golf0101 Members Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the bio cell hybrid a lot but the shaft was too light and an upgrade shaft puts the pricepoint above some of the other brands that have a premium shaft. Why not offer a heavier shaft stock option in the hybrid?
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bio CELL line is great. All the people that I've talked to love the sound and look, as well as the extra yardage they've picked up.

my bag is full of cobra clubs, thanks TO.
  • ShutSteepStuckShutSteepStuck Grinding like Briny Baird The ValleyMembers Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My Amp Cell is BY FAR the most forgiving driver I have ever hit. Thank you Cobra!

My miss tends to be out toward the toe, can you explain how your e9 (elliptical) face technology helps improve ball speed and dispersion on off-center hits?
    g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
    m2 tour 15.8* - ad gp-8x
    m2 tour 19.8* - diamana s 83x
    4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
    mp-t10 56.10 - s300
    tvd 60m - ti s400
    piretti potenza ii 365g 34"
  • LancejokerLancejoker Members Posts: 788
    Thanks for the opportunity Cobra and GolfWRX

Time after time,the question of "growing the game" has come to the table. Many times price and time are the top two contenders, or offenders if you will. What is Cobra Golf's short term and long term plan to bring new players to the game and current players towards Cobra and Puma golf?
  • HairpieHairpie Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Your use of multi-materials in clubhead design is quite legendary. What are the advantages of the multi materials? More efficient weight distribution? Better dampening and acoustics? Is there a conscious effort in the aesthetics of the club to accentuate these design characteristics or are the aesthetics used more as an attraction for the younger golfers?
    2016 M2/Fujikura Atmos TS Red 6S
    TEE 15* CB5/Fubuki 60R
    TM R7 TP 18.5* Epic T90S
    Ping I3 Blade 4-PW/JZ CushinS
    TM TP 52*
    TM TP ATV 56*
    TM TP ATV 60*
    Slighter Portland FPR
    The bio cell irons all have an interesting look. Can you talk about the benefit of that frame around the back of the clubs?
    Any chance puma releases some Cobra clothes? I would love some polos with that cobra logo on them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file