2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Waving up on par 3. Seriously, what's the point?

This past weekend I played a round at a local municipal course where the par 3's are decently long but not overly challenging - 134yrds, 193yrds, 207yrds and 189yrds. All are straight with maybe a bunker protecting the front and no water in play. The pace of play is generally slow on weekends here in SoCal and the group ahead of us weren't getting away from us anytime soon.

This is my 5th year golfing and it's the first time I've ever heard of "waving up". I think it's insane and I refuse to do it. I understand it has to do with trying to keep pace of play but I believe it brings more danger to the game. On both the 193yrd and 207yrd holes, I smoked my 5 and 4 iron, respectively, and the shots landed near the back of the green where the people were waiting and I had to yell fore twice. I only conceded to tee off on these holes because (1) the group waved us up and (2) the two people my friend and I got paired with didn't mind. I was truly confused when it happened the first time and annoyed the second time.

Our group didn't wave up the group after us because I didn't care for it so we putted out on all the par 3's. The group behind us didn't say anything to us but one of their shots did land at the front of the green while I was lining up my putt which pissed me off. If a ball would have hit me, I honestly don't know what would have happened. The John McEnroe of golf might have shown up! :aggressive:

Am I wrong on this? Again, it's the first time I've heard of it and I've played a decent amount of golf. If I am wrong, then next time I'll abide by the rule and wave people up.

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Titleist 917F2 15* EvenFlow 6.0
Titleist 917F2 18* Diamana Blue S
Titleist 818 H1 4H, Titleist 913 5H
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW with PX 6.0
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Phantom X5.5

IMHO, you're in the wrong. If those are the course rules then abide by them. If you don't want to then you shouldn't play the course. There are some local rules I'm not a fan of so I don't play the course.

That being said the guy behind you shouldn't have hit since you didn't wave him up. In essence he's your "bizarro magix".

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Fair point joey. I wasn't sure if it was a rule or etiquette related. Since it's a rule, I was wrong and next time I'll do so accordingly.

Thanks!

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

I hear ya. Its tough. I'm not a fan of waving up. Especially for the safety reason you mentioned. The way i see it allowing a group to play through is etiquette ... Waving up is a course rule.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

wave up -

it keeps flow of course moving - especially with groups of walkers

by the time you walk up to the green - the group ahead will have putted out and headed to next tee

just think - there is a reason "waving up" was started in the 1st place

and it started long before you picked up a club

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

it can be dangerous if the group on the green isn't diligently watching where the tee shots are heading though...

i once hit a guy on the head when he wasn't watching my tee shot and it was a bloody mess.

i ran to him and he was holding his head on the spot where he was hit and when he took his hand off the blood came spurting out and even hit my glasses!!

he didn't blame me at all cuz i also knew him and he was the one who actually waved us up...my shot was just too strong and they were at the back of the green..

luckily medical attention came swiftly but he had to have 9 stitches...

i got so rattled i couldn't continue my round..

i had such a phobia after that it took me quite a while to hit up on par-3s and i try to make sure everyone is really out of range but still no guarrantees there..

i agree with the rule though but do it only when the course is really full.

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

One of the courses I grew up playing has a huge apple-shaped island green for their signature 17th hole. When the course is crowded, everyone waves the group behind up when they reach the back of the green. I think this is one of the few instances where this actually saves time. It takes about 5-7 minutes to walk from the tee down to the putting surface, which is perfect for the group ahead to putt out. There is also a bridge at the back of the green where the first group can stand relatively safely.

Other than that, I think it's pretty pointless to wave a group up on a short, straightforward par 3. Doesn't speed up play in most instances.

[attachment=2142555:Picture 2.png]

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1395877460' post='8958335']
wave up -

by the time you walk up to the green - the group ahead will have putted out and headed to next tee

[/quote]

I've been playing golf for around 25 yrs. now. Waving up was something I experienced when I first started playing. It was common practice back then and it was something I've seen done on a lot of the courses I played in my younger days. I don't see it done much anymore. I might have run across a handful of groups in recent yrs. that have gave me the wave up. My group is usually waved off when we have offered the group behind us to hit up so we don't do it any more. I don't see the sense in it anymore. I think it helped some when you had a lot of walkers out there but now days riding seems to be the norm for most.

Exactly as stated above it is to help relieve the "log jam effect" that happens on par 3s on busy days. When you only have a short trip up to the green in a cart then it can be fairly silly, but if it is a long walk or long ride to the green it can absolutely help alleviate the wait a group has on the tee box and keep you from getting "iced" waiting for the green to clear.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Like mentioned above, "waving up" is only going to save time if there's a significant amount of time/distance it will take a group to get from the tee box to the green/hitting area. Most par 3s there isn't enough time/distance to make a difference, especially if all players are using carts.

I've been involved in "waving up" situations in the past, but its always been with walkers and holes where you're going way out of the way to get back to green or landing zone. Usually involves a large forced carry over water, marsh, or hazard area.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

Waving up is only for tough par 3's where 3 of the 4 in the group behind are likely to miss the green.

And it really only makes sense when all the groups are walking. Like in a tournament. If it's normal play and there are carts in some groups, it doesn't make sense at all. The guys in the carts are going to be sitting there watching you putt out waiting to chip.

The guy hitting into a group putting out on a PAR 3 was an absolute tool.

Yeah, all the par 3's on the course were easily reachable and the group in front and back were in golf carts. It literally made no sense to me how waving anyone up was going to save time. It only made me nervous while playing cause I almost hit two people with my tee shots.

I would totally understand with the situation described above by drewtaylor21 (beatiful course btw!). It would take some time to reach the green after teeing off.

Rules are rules I guess...c'est la vie.

Ping G400 Max Tour 65s
Scotty Phantom X5.5

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1395879027' post='8958519']
One of the courses I grew up playing has a huge apple-shaped island green for their signature 17th hole. When the course is crowded, everyone waves the group behind up when they reach the back of the green. I think this is one of the few instances where this actually saves time. It takes about 5-7 minutes to walk from the tee down to the putting surface, which is perfect for the group ahead to putt out. There is also a bridge at the back of the green where the first group can stand relatively safely.

Other than that, I think it's pretty pointless to wave a group up on a short, straightforward par 3. Doesn't speed up play in most instances.

[/quote]

Played that course a number of times! I have a buddy that is from Naches. Been dry every time so far I played it. Guess I just jinxed myself.....

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

[quote name='mukster' timestamp='1395884457' post='8959115']
[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1395879027' post='8958519']

[/quote]

Played that course a number of times! I have a buddy that is from Naches. Been dry every time so far I played it. Guess I just jinxed myself.....
[/quote]

Haha yeah it's a huge green, but as soon as you start taking it for granted it's easy to brain fart one into the drink! Apple Tree is a fun course though - finding that pic made me really miss playing there. Hoping to get back up to visit family in May though, so hopefully I'll be able to get out for a round.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1395879505' post='8958567']
[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1395877460' post='8958335']
wave up -

[/quote]

I've been playing golf for around 25 yrs. now. Waving up was something I experienced when I first started playing. It was common practice back then and it was something I've seen done on a lot of the courses I played in my younger days. I don't see it done much anymore. I might have run across a handful of groups in recent yrs. that have gave me the wave up. My group is usually waved off when we have offered the group behind us to hit up so we don't do it any more. I don't see the sense in it anymore. I think it helped some when you had a lot of walkers out there but now days riding seems to be the norm for most.
[/quote]

Waving the group up was the norm 40-50 years a go when I started playing as a kid. Seems to have faded over the last 20 years
to the point nobody does it any more it seems.

Remember, if you're worried about being hit, stand on the safest place you can....

Next to the pin...

[quote name='Newby' timestamp='1395906649' post='8960201']
It only saves time on that hole. It does nothing for the holes ahead.
The idea is now discredited because of the number of accidents and the resulting litigation.
The course management need to talk to their insurance company as they will have a liability if they have a notice up.
[/quote]

Well now, there's an eye opener! Maybe I shouldn't have opened my big mouth so quickly [now fixed with the edit function!) I'll need to look into this further! :read:
Thanks for the alert.

[quote name='Colin L' timestamp='1395909765' post='8960245']
The idea is now discredited because of the number of accidents and the resulting litigation.
The course management need to talk to their insurance company as they will have a liability if they have a notice up.
[/quote]

Well now, there's an eye opener! Maybe I shouldn't have opened my big mouth so quickly about the OP's dreadful attitude. I'll need to look into this further! :read:

Thanks for the alert.
[/quote]

I have this vague picture in my head having read something about timing this practice by an instance. In this 'study' it was acknowledged (as Newby already pointed out) that for the overall turnaround time on the course this practice had no effect. That is because the time people saved on that par3 they lost waiting for the group ahead on the next hole. So in essence, the blockage is merely shifted to another place.

Call hole is fine on long/difficult par3's, as already mentioned. A fair rule of thumb is that if it takes more that the time difference between starting groups to play that hole it may pay off.

I know only one call hole here and that is a 200 m par3 (men's club tee) downhill. The difference in altitude is so big that for this 200 m shot you need to take a club for 170 m and you reach the center of the green. Great looking hole. EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: there is a safety net behind which the preceding group takes cover for the next group to tee off, and you are not allowed to tee off until the entire group is behind the net. No accidents that way.

[quote name='Mr. Bean' timestamp='1395911013' post='8960267']

I have this vague picture in my head having read something about timing this practice by an instance. In this 'study' it was acknowledged (as Newby already pointed out) that for the overall turnaround time on the course this practice had no effect. That is because the time people saved on that par3 they lost waiting for the group ahead on the next hole. So in essence, the blockage is merely shifted to another place.

[/quote]

A statistician colleague of mine, an expert in queuing theory, showed that that is exactly what happens.

[quote name='Mr. Bean' timestamp='1395911013' post='8960267']
I know only one call hole here and that is a 200 m par3 (men's club tee) downhill. The difference in altitude is so big that for this 200 m shot you need to take a club for 170 m and you reach the center of the green. Great looking hole. EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: there is a safety net behind which the preceding group takes cover for the next group to tee off, and you are not allowed to tee off until the entire group is behind the net. No accidents that way.
[/quote]

The drop is about 100 feet, it's a nice hole to view and interesting one in the sense one might need anything from a 3 wood to a 7 iron depending on the winds but one big bugger playing it regularly due to the log jam it creates.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

That photo of the apple green doesn't do the elevation change justice. That is a fun golf course.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

they used this in the us open last year on the 300-yard par 3. i remember seeing Justin Rose ducked behind a bush for his safety. everyone was missing the green on that hole, though, and i still don't know if it helped. maybe walking 300 yards is enough time for two pros to putt out, but walking 190 yards will never be enough time for 4 weekend warriors to even start putting.

i hate this rule and usually ignore it. so do most people i see on the course.

Generally I agree with others; waving up doesn't do much, but we have almost a perfect storm on my course where it might, if it were policy.

We have an easy par-4 7th, followed by a tough par 3 8th followed by a somewhat open par-5 9th. The cart path on the 3 winds around the water, and there's not a great place to park. There's hazard on 3 sides, trees on the 4th, sand in front, and it's a 2-tiered green that leads to many 3-putts.

90% of the time, you spend a bunch of time on the 3, and get to the 5 and the group in front is gone, gone gone. You might not wait on them again the rest of the day, or you might catch them on one of the 3's on the back. On weekends, often there is a group on the green, a group on the tee, and another group sitting there. I usually wait to light my stogie until that hole.

So basically everyone goes onto the back-side with almost an open hole in front of them.

[size=4]This highlights an issue with "slow play" in general. We always want to blame one "slow group", but you can have several groups in a row that are all playing at a normal pace, but because of the easy-4, hard-3, easy-5, the course itself creates stops and gaps. Even with 10 minute intervals on the 1st tee, by 9 O'clock on a Saturday morning, you're going to have a delay built into your round because of the sequence of average hole times.[/size]

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

[/quote]

..i shudder at the thought of the mess it would have created for me if the guy i hit sued me!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

We have a wave up policy at our 17th hole. It's about 210, slightly downhill, but with OB left and long. The 18th tee is just to the right of the green(from the 17th tee). It's a safety issue for us, frankly.

Now why they did so on our 6th hole, I have no idea. It either backs up on that hole, or on the next tee, but it backs up.