2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Veylix Wildeye Rome 688

Dscvrr St Louis

So after talking to a few people and finding out more about these shafts and the design behind them, my brain started screaming...TRY IT!!

I told my brain to pipe down, I am thinking it will be too light.....Brain: TRY IT!! LOSER!

So the Brain won and I ordered one, a Veylix Wildeye Rome 688x, 40 Ton Carbon Beast of a shaft at 65.8 grams....?? Beast? We will see.

Theory is that the 40 Ton Carbon is WAY more stout than the 20 Ton Carbon used in the majority of all graphite shafts. It just costs more to use it in a golf shaft.

Apparently the 40 Ton is way thinner than the 20 Ton and requires more to make the shaft....but the more you use the more stout and solid the shaft is.

I don't claim to be versed on all the tech...just my understanding of how it was explained to me.

So I order the Wildeye Rome, mutli-color-ion-plated-beauty! I has every color in it from the rainbow and then some and matches up well with my Big Bertha Alpha!!

I get it Friday evening, tip it up and went and played with it Saturday around 11:30 in wonderful 44* bliss! It was supposed to be more like 55*..but NO! :stop:

Shaft is plain gorgeous looking!!

and matches well with the BBA color scheme in the head....

Now normally, I really like a bit heavier shaft in the driver and fw's, but I was told by those who know me and my swing, but swing quite a bit faster than I, that this will hold up no matter how hard you go at it...so enjoy!!

So got to the course and we take two off first tee, since no range and we aren't warmed up...mind you 44*...cool 15 mph wind...we WON'T be warm today!! :black eye:

First swing sent a nice butter fade down the left side, but still found rough, expected more fade...tee'd up the second hit within 3 yards of the first...impressed...very consistent.

Third hole plays about 295, solid swing, still COLD, pull it, but it was very well hit. The 17th fairway is left of this hole and I am in it, even with the green on #3...VERY NICE...LONG!

Fourth is a good par 4! Usually hitting 9 iron or PW into this one...hit Gap wedge and had to take a touch off....LIKING THIS ROUTINE!

Fifth is a long par 5...SMOKE ONE>>>DEAD MIDDLE!! :bb2: Got 220 in, hit green with 5 wood.

Eleventh hole has a lake for about 250 yards down right, takes 260 to clear it on a blocked shot...Block it, clear it easy PW into green...Nice Mishit...still got out there...user error on swing!

Thirteenth hole is another good par 5...CRUSH ONE!! Baby fade...180 into the green left!! WHAAAAAAAAAAT??? Think Chris on Family Guy when you say ...'WWWHHHHHHAAAAATTTTT??"

Sixteenth hole is a 314 to the pin hole...lasered it...10 mph tail wind...usually 5 wood...want to hit BIG DOG...great swing CRUSHED...looks really good. One of the guys thinks I am on....yeah...right...

he was close, 8 ft short of the green. If this was summer, I wouldn't be that impressed, but it isn't...I have only 5 rounds in whereas by now I have 10-15!! It was cart path only due to overnight rain and the fairways are very soft...a few drives from the other guys plugged!

Overall evaluation...staying in the bag...I am loving this simply due to the fact it is so damn consistent and the flight is always the same on good hits. the misses aren't bad and I cannot go really far left...3rd hole was a 20 yard pull, other than that being more user error...I can't see a good shot even BENDING with this shaft.

I would say, the CTAPER of Graphite...dispersion is excellent and the trajectory always the same for me.

Feel is stout and soft at same time...great feel at impact and the bend of the shaft is smooth thru impact.

Stout as in I don't think I can make the shaft feel out of control at all...always right there...!!

I am impressed as hell after one round...didn't expect this much, it has blown me away!! :air_kiss:

Installed weight: 62-63 grams

Installed Length: 45.5 inches

SW...guessing D3-D4

Grip: Lamkin Blue UTx---this thing is MONEY! $

Adapter set at 9* and N/S setting.

SS- 109-110mph.

Launch on course-Mid High BULLETS..guessing 13-14* max.

Spin is rather low.

Shaft- 65.8grams before cut and install, CPM 267

Thanks for reading.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this same company that owner of another site who happens to love emoticons was so excited about a while back?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I might have talked to someone who fits that description at one point and a few others also...if I understand, Veylix is run by a gentleman who used to design for Matrix.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Great review of this shaft. Looks amazing. Please keep us updated on it some more when you get in more time with it. Take it to work on your down time. Let's see some numbers with it your alpha!

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

I will try tonight...thanks!! Best I have ever hit rightnout of box! Blew me away.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Dang that shaft looks cool! The BBA head looks really cool with it..

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I thought the same thing...color coordinated...had to go with the blue lamkin utx to keep it going...great grip by the way..natural feeling!

Thanks Tai.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

If you put it into a Covert head, I envision a scene from a Skittles commercial happening, where you touch it and it turns into Skittles... okay, back to work I go :wacko:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Touch the Rainbow...POUND THE RAINBOW!! Skittles shaft!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Good looking shaft DSL. How well does it keep the spin down vs the stock 60x? I have read elsewhere that the 688 shaft is even lower spin than the Tour Spec 6.2 shafts........any truth to that since you have owned both?

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

Uh...yeah...this thing is insane...you have to hit it...!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

That shaft is really awesome looking. I wish I had a way to try one

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

You can get the Wildeye finish on both the Rome and Alpina driver shafts. A dealer can also request a finish with more of one color vs the rest. If you would like more purple and blue with no green, they can find you one. No two shafts will look the same.

The "roughneck" is only offered in the standard Black with white graphics theme.

[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1396346502' post='8992805']
You can get the Wildeye finish on both the Rome and Alpina driver shafts. A dealer can also request a finish with more of one color vs the rest. If you would like more purple and blue with no green, they can find you one. No two shafts will look the same.

The "roughneck" is only offered in the standard Black with white graphics theme.
[/quote] heard it has a different profile to the regular Rome. Can you elaborate?

[quote name='kingarthur' timestamp='1396408167' post='9000277']
[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1396346502' post='8992805']

[/quote] heard it has a different profile to the regular Rome. Can you elaborate?
[/quote]

The Rome series is considered a "fade" bias shaft. The Roughneck 7RA is a "draw" bias shaft. It is slightly heavier and is stiffer in the butt and tip section, softer in the mid. It is also slightly counterbalanced.

Round 2 toady, little warmer...will post findings later. Will be playing a very familiar course and will be hitting driver on every hole allowable, unless really good round going...actually, no...will hit on every hole allowable!! LOL!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Swing wasn't as on as the other round, but the Wildeye continued to impress...good strikes were still just little pulls/pushes or dead straight, with same mid-high trajectory from the last round. Made a couple of heinous swings which provided a bit of cut to the right, one lost. A couple of other hits were toe hits that just went straight but lost a touch of distance..no complaints here.

Still loving the shaft...feels amazing and the misses on good strikes are above average and bad swings are well bad swings...not shaft issues.

Playing next week also...more updates!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1396241281' post='8984733']
I might have talked to someone who fits that description at one point and a few others also...if I understand, Veylix is run by a gentleman who used to design for Matrix.
[/quote]

Correct...love these shafts...have it in my driver, fw and hybrids...unfreakin believable!

[quote name='gsrjc' timestamp='1396745051' post='9028787']
I tried this shaft during a fitting. Didn't match up with my swing which I'm sorta glad after I found out the price. Isn't this like a $500 shaft?
[/quote]

I think you are talking about the arcane model with a liquid cristal tip which changes color in uv light and costs 500$

So pricing is right there with the higher end shaft market, but made with the 40 Ton carbon there is a huge difference to me. I can hit a 62-63 gram shaft in X where as I usually felt most comfortable in a 69-75 gram. I can go at this my usual 80% and get around 109-110 mph and feel very confident on normal swings.

Had my Pro at GG hit my driver last night..he is a beast...122-124 mph and plays a D+ 82 X in driver. He was pounding this thing at an avg of 170 ball speed, 13* launch and 2000-2200 spin, avg 320+ on most solid hits. Said he could play it as is right now.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1396890759' post='9038977']
So pricing is right there with the higher end shaft market, but made with the 40 Ton carbon there is a huge difference to me. I can hit a 62-63 gram shaft in X where as I usually felt most comfortable in a 69-75 gram. I can go at this my usual 80% and get around 109-110 mph and feel very confident on normal swings.

Had my Pro at GG hit my driver last night..he is a beast...122-124 mph and plays a D+ 82 X in driver. He was pounding this thing at an avg of 170 ball speed, 13* launch and 2000-2200 spin, avg 320+ on most solid hits. Said he could play it as is right now.
[/quote]

I didn't know you were playing this shaft, or I would have talked to you about last weekend at The Trophy Club. I have a Veylix Alpina, but I haven't hit it enough yet to have a strong thought about it. I had it in an Adams XTD head, but I don't think the head was the best match for me. I have a SLDR 430 coming tomorrow, and can't wait the throw the Veylix Alpina in it and see how it plays.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 8 months later...

Just ordered a Rome wildeye 688 to put in my JPX 850 driver. I can not wait!!! I'm hoping yo be able to bring my spin down 300 to 500 rpms. If this doesn't work I have a brand new Rome 888. If that doesn't I dont know what will!

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

• 2 months later...

[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1396805709' post='9032245']
MSRP:

Rome 688 Ion finish $350
Wildeye finish. $400

Rome 7RA Black finish $450

Arcane Indigo Colorway $600
[/quote]

Trhode, does the Rome come in a heavier weight than the 688(66 grams on the stiff) or lighter than the 888(84 grams in stiff)? I am liking the Rome 688 in the G30 LS, but find it to be a little light feeling through the swing. Beyond that, the shaft feels great. Weightwise though, I have really liked the Ahina 70(71 grams) and the AD DI 7(73 grams). Was just wondering if they made the Rome in a stiff flex cpm rating in that particular weight range.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

[quote name='trhode' timestamp='1432252000' post='11604660']
No, they don't make any shaft inbetween the 688 and 888 weight wise. They just released a lighter version of the Rome called the 588 Superlight. I'd suggest the 888 for a heavier feel. The bend profiles are the same for the 688 and 888, so it should be a good move.
[/quote]

Well that's unfortunate. Thought that the Alpina started with the 573, then they created the 673 at 10 grams heavier. Was hoping they might do something like that with the Rome, or create one in between 688 and 888. Thanks for the advice on the 888, but that is a little heavy for a driver shaft for me.

I see that the Roughneck is around 71 grams, which would be perfect, except I'm not looking for draw bias(reason I went with the Rome was for the fade bias). So that would probably be going in the wrong direction.

The only Veylix shaft I see beyond that is the Arcane. Might that one come in the 70-75 gram weight range and how would it compare feel and ball flight
wise to the Rome?

Thanks

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5