US kids ball?!

tommy89

I was one the range and found a US kids ball. I thought this should be interesting. Hit it with a 6 iron. Solid hit and it was best the best ball flight i've seen!! WTH! It went just as far as i hit any ball but with this great high ball flight.

Am i on to something or crackers? My ss with a 6 iron is around 94mph with a 'gonna kill this thing' transition.

:D

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about the ball, but if I were going to make a kid's ball, I think I'd make it illegal, as in hotter and smaller and heavier so it would travel further. Help the kids enjoy the game until they are able to play with conforming equipment... I wonder if that's what this is? Or perhaps it was a logo ball with US Kids?

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

[quote name='bwrichmond' timestamp='1396293039' post='8988439']
I don't know anything about the ball, but if I were going to make a kid's ball, I think I'd make it illegal, as in hotter and smaller and heavier so it would travel further. Help the kids enjoy the game until they are able to play with conforming equipment... I wonder if that's what this is? Or perhaps it was a logo ball with US Kids?
[/quote]

I'm not sure. It was plain with 'US KIDS' on it. Nothing more. Best ball i've hit one shot with. I want that ball flight!!

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

Yeah, the US Kids balls are on the conforming list, basically just a low compression ball for slower swing speeds. With your swing speed, it may fly nicely off your irons, but I bet it would have ballooned if you crushed it with your driver.

http://www.junior-golf-world.com/junior-golf-balls.html

[quote]Your child will need a golf ball that will give them a high initial launch and to do that you need a [b]softer, low compression golf ball[/b] that is appropriate for their swing speed. Typically this ball would be a compression of 70 or lower. [/quote]

The dimple pattern also affects spin and ball flight, but there are three different US Kids balls on the conforming list, with three different dimple patterns, so it may be hard to identify which one you hit.

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1396334382' post='8992639']
Hmmm ok. I might see if i can find it on the range. It just flew so well. Thanks
[/quote]

If you don't want to go through the trouble, there are several low compression options that are more readily available as well. If you havent tried them, I think it may be beneficial to pick up a sleeve or two... or PM me and I can send you a sleeve or two. There are the Precept Lady IQ, which is now the Bridgestone Lady. There's also the Wilson Staff Duo and Wilson Staff Fifty Elite. Those are three that I've played personally and they are low compression and feel EXTREMELY soft. Way softer than a ProV1 or Lethal. Anyway, I'd try those out first if you're looking for something low compression.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

I found a lady iq + the other day and wrote about it in here

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/876734-having-a-playing-lesson-with-chiva-edited-lady-precept-iq-best-ball-on-market/page__st__180

The lady iq+ was about 15 yards shorter off the driver than my normal Z star. I'd sacrifice that for the flight with the irons though. Having a 4 iron hit a green and stop is very helpful.

I've been meaning to try the B330 rxs. I'm waiting to win some prize money to pay for them so it doesn't feel like i'm wasting money :D

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1396389174' post='8997769']
What are the Wilson equivalents in the UK? DX2 soft?
[/quote]

Yes, that would be the same as the Duo. I was going to suggest the Wilson Duo or Calloway Supersoft, both low compression balls with larger shallow dimples for higher trajectory, which seem to be popular even for some with higher swing speeds. But those should also be relatively low spin.

In the UK you also have the Wilson Staff DX3 soft, which is a three piece ball which is supposed to have more spin. I'm curious about that one, as don't think there is a US equivalent.

Ah ok interesting. I'll grab some of DX2's and try them out. I think they have the DX3 soft as well so i'll have a look. Good thing is they do it in yellow to match my z stars :D

I really want to get a ball with this flight. Even though i play links i like hitting everything high including pitches etc.

Thanks

Edit:

Just looked on the wilson website. The DX2 has a compression rating of 40! Not sure what a z star is however the FG tour is 70 so i'm guessing it would be similar. I'm really going to look into this.

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1397140124' post='9061201']
I've tried the DX2 and think it's great. I used a DX3 today. I would say it doesn't spin as much? It still checked a lot. True?
[/quote]

I haven't tried it, and don't think it exists in the US, which is why I was curious about it.

But in theory, the extra layer (DuPont HPF inner mantle layer) should enable it to spin less on drives and higher velocity shots, while spinning more on shorter shots around the greens (thus checking well). This ball aparently existed previously, but was significantly changed in 2013, with Wilson claiming it is now "softer than any other multi-layer golf ball".

[quote]Designed from the inside out, the 3-piece structure of the Dx3 Soft provides exceptional feel and low spin off the driver thanks to the rubber-rich inner core; greater velocity and distance performance due to the DuPont HPF inner mantle layer; and high spin and control on approach shots created by a softer cover.

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5428/New_Wilson_Staff_Ball_Longer_and_Softer_Than_Ever.html
[/quote]

What also has me curious is that I see a ball on the USGA conforming list with similar specs labeled "DUO Spin", which may well have been intended to be the US version, though there's been no sign yet they will actually release it. So is Wilson U.S. sitting on a upgraded 3-piece version of the Duo?

I think maybe the Duo was selling so well they didn't want to compete with themselves, plus they also maybe had stock of the older FG Tour selling off at around where they would have priced this. With the new FG Tour now a higher end 4 piece priced at over $40 a dozen, there might be room for them to introduce a new 3-piece "Duo Spin" in the $25-$30 a dozen range.

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1397151791' post='9062461']
Ah ok thanks. I actually preferred the DX2 off the irons. DX3 was more like my normal z star. I will play the 3 again just to see but i think the DX2 played better.
[/quote]

Yes, it sounds like what you want is more spin on the longer irons. Maybe there is no advantage there to a multilayer ball?

It sounds what you want is somewhat similar to Monte in this post:
[url="http://montescheinblum.com/blog/2013/07/12/the-modern-golf-ball-sucks/"]http://montescheinbl...olf-ball-sucks/[/url]

He's talking more about wind there, but it's really about more spin and better control of mid to long irons, isn't it?

Is your normal Z-star the XV? I see people recommending it in the wind thread, and maybe the "spin skin" helps keep some of that spin on mid to long irons, but maybe in general multiple layers is not an advantage if this is what you are looking for.

The normal Z star no XV. Last years as well so no spin skin. Yes i want more spin on irons. I love to hit my irons to the moon with a normal shot.

I was wondering if the DX3 is higher compression? And if that's why it doesn't fly the same.

The crazy part is these ball are £12 a dozen! Great balls for no money. People playing Pro v's at £40 a dozen are crackers.

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

They say DX3 has a low compression core. I'm guessing the difference is the Dupont HPF Mantle layer. Every ball I see that has that says it reduces driver spin. For example the [url="http://www.topflite.com/golf-balls/gamer-yellow"]Top Flite Gamer[/url]:

[quote]Custom DuPont ® HPF™ mantle layer designed to reduce driver spin[/quote]

But you probably are hitting your 6 iron as hard as some people hit their driver. And the ball can't "know" which club is hitting it. So that has to also lower spin on your irons. The first soft layer should make it spin on soft shots around the greens, but anything harder you are getting into that layer designed to reduce spin, right?

In any case, these layers are part of what makes most expensive balls expensive. The other thing is urethane covers. You might still like the urethane cover, if they made a soft two piece with one, but I'm not sure that ball exists (e5 is close, but not that soft). So yeah, if you prefer the 2 piece balls and don't mind the surlyn covers, that can save you some money.

Yeah i think your right. The DX3 almost span too much for me around the greens. I had 15 yard chips check and stop! I'll try the DX2 again i think now i've played the 3. I really do like a ball i can spin the hell out of with the longer clubs.

Are any other balls like this?

Thanks

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link