Kansas City - best course to join

Hello-

I've seen some past posts on Kansas City, but wanted to see if any have specific advice or thoughts. I'll keep it brief:

31 Years Old (Girlfriend who does not golf but would not mind a pool/gym)

5 Handicap

Relocating but have yet to find a place (likely Plaza, Crossroads, Union Hill, or maybe Overland Park for locations). Will be working downtown.

Items of importance: Golf Course, Membership, Location, Facilities

As of now, looking at the following courses:

1. Shadow Glen

2. Indian Hills

3. Loch Lloyd

4. Nickalaus at Lionshead

5. Wolf Creek

6. Kansas City Country Club

Any that you would eliminate? Any that you would add? Any that you would highly recommend?

Thanks in advance - feel free to message me if you don't want to reply. Looking forward to taking the plunge...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played brookridge a few years ago when a friend was a member. Was a nice track and the overall good facilities Played deer creek a few weeks ago. Also a nice track but it's only golf so your lady friend won't have much interest. Both are in Overland Park. Live down on the plaza. There are all kinds of entertainment, dining and shopping options.

[quote name='dogolfer' timestamp='1409185001' post='10021799']
Hello-

I've seen some past posts on Kansas City, but wanted to see if any have specific advice or thoughts. I'll keep it brief:

31 Years Old (Girlfriend who does not golf but would not mind a pool/gym)
5 Handicap
Relocating but have yet to find a place (likely Plaza, Crossroads, Union Hill, or maybe Overland Park for locations). Will be working downtown.
Items of importance: Golf Course, Membership, Location, Facilities

As of now, looking at the following courses:
1. Shadow Glen
2. Indian Hills
3. Loch Lloyd
4. Nickalaus at Lionshead
5. Wolf Creek
6. Kansas City Country Club

Any that you would eliminate? Any that you would add? Any that you would highly recommend?

Thanks in advance - feel free to message me if you don't want to reply. Looking forward to taking the plunge...
[/quote]
I have played and know member at some of these courses. First location is the key, pick a club that is either close to home or work, or somewhere in between.
1. Shadow-great course, great condition, if you live west side of town it is great, not really a country club, a golf club, if you want amenities for the girlfriend this is not the club, if you want a great golf club and course should be high on the list. May be the best conditioned course in town, last time I played the greens were Augusta National quick.
2. Indian- old school tree lined course in great shape with tricky greens, centrally located but not near a highway if you need quick access from across town, great family oriented club with lots of junior players etc. If you live or work somewhere near the Plaza or downtown this is a good option.
3. Loch Lloyd-just redesigned by Tom Watson, 27 holes and a couple of extra, great layout but way south of town, you need to live in the area. I really, really love this club and know members, if you don't mind the location it needs to be close to the top of your list.
4. Lions gate-good course, south Overland Park/Leawood area, nice upscale housing development type of course. If you live close it's worth a look.
5. Wolf Creek-have not played here but I know members, was supposed to play last week but work got in the way :( THIS IS A MENS ONLY CLUB, NO WOMEN ALLOWED. Not that I am opposed but the girlfriend will not join you....so you will have to deal with that decision. I hear it's a great club. Also located far southwest part of town.
6. KCCC-Have not played here either, pretty old school exclusive, I am sure you will need a letter of recommendation from a member but I don't know the details, near the plaza and is what it is, and old school prestigious club where Tom Watson grew up and learned the game. My assumption is that it is in great condition, but a bit stuffy.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

You might also want to check out Milburn CC, not as well known as some, but a good layout and nice facilities, it is located between the Plaza area and the south part of town.

I would also highly recommend Blue Hills CC, located just on the MO side of state line road, really good course and facilities, it would be high on my list if I was looking to join.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Thanks all - really helpful information. Appreciate the commentary.

Anyone has any additional thoughts, let me know. Going to make sure I at least get out to see the remainder of the clubs. And thanks for the addition of Milburn and Blue HIlls.

Thanks again - and keep more thoughts coming if you have any more items to consider...

Indian hills and Lionsgate are probably closer to what you are looking for specially with the girlfriends interests.

I played indian hills recently as a guest, great course. My wife and our friends (Members) swam and drank cocktails at the pool while the men swung sticks. Exactly what you would picture as a family outing to the club on a weekend.

I live right by lionsgate, i have come close to joining multple times but I travel for work so playing often is tough and for the price I just wouldn't play enough for it to be justified.

Last I checked was 2 years ago on pricing. I've heard both have lowered memberships since then.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

I am currently going through this process and thought I would post my thoughts for others in the KC area.

1. Shadow Glen - This is just a great overall track. Built in a less populated area it has a lot of undulation, fairly wide fairways (penalizing rough), and is just beautiful. Probably in my top 2 in the KC area. Relatively inexpensive (likely due to location), friendly members, great golf and clubhouse facilities.
2. Indian Hills - Never played. I have heard mixed things about the course. Family oriented membership base. On the upper end as far as costs go.
3. Loch Lloyd - Great course with some sticky fairways. When I played the greens were in poor shape and rolled slower than a muni, which I was told was an abnormality. Some of the best practice facilities and a nice clubhouse. It is a bit far away for most people and I believe most of the members live right around the course. I believe pricing is somewhere in the middle of all the KC clubs (in line with Hallbrook and lower the Indian Hills).
4. Lionsgate - Never played and don't know much about it even though I used to live right next to it. Many people I know like it but because it is pretty exposed windy days can be a killer. I think it used to be a more exclusive (and expensive) club until it was bought out.
5. Wolf Creek - Another great track (probably second on this initial list for me). It is way out south so another course not surrounded by houses. Less undulation than SG and the rough can be brutal. Similar to SG, it is a golf club with a good practice area and clubhouse. As mentioned, it is men only (women are allowed twice a year), so that often eliminates it from people's list. A lot of people have this as their 2nd club. Also, from what I can tell, a lot of business and money games are done on the course. The cost is also on the lower end in line with SG.
6. KCCC - Played here right as they were redoing a good portion of the course. From what I played, I liked, but I have no idea how it plays now. This is the old school type of club house where you really do have to know people to get in. From what I have been told it is one of (if not the most) expensive in the KC area and it feels stuffy. I mean, you have to wear high socks when you play for crying out loud.

Not on the list but should be:

7. Hallbrook - Playing this course for the first time in a couple weeks, but live on the course. Absolutely beautiful course that is kept in great condition. A lot of undulation for where it is located and it looks like getting a flat lie is a rarity. Most people I know consider this on par with SG and Wolf. The difference is that it is built into Hallbrook neighborhood and is surrounded by some very nice homes, which can be nice. A lot of amenities including large clubhouse, tennis, pools, etc. Middle of the road on cost as mentioned above.
8. Millburn - Very tight track. Just doesn't fit my shot shape and style of play so I find it a bit annoying. They just redid the clubhouse because of a fire and it looks fantastic. The practice facilities are not as good as some of the others. I am unsure of the fees here, but would guess it is middle of the road.
9. Mission - don't know much about it, but figured it should be added to the list.
10. The National - This really isn't in the area, but is probably one of my favorite courses within a 45 minute drive so I figured I would add it to the list. If you get a chance to play it you should. Great practice facilities and nice clubhouse. I believe the fees are on the high end for the KC area.

I lived downtown and before we moved I frequented the National. If you are going to work downtown I would really look into living downtown. We loved it and still keep a place in the central business district. Walking to and from work and having the best grocery store in town was great. Getting to the National takes about 30 minutes,

If I were strictly looking in KC, Milburn would be high on my list. Though I do not know the exact details I believe entry into Mission Hills, especially at the Jr level, is a great deal. I really like Mission Hills and KC Country Club is worth a look.