2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What my chances could be of playing collegiate golf

I've been thinking recently about college golf and if I could even get recruited or try to walk on at a smaller school. The first time I even picked up a golf club was just over a year ago and I have practiced my butt off every day since then in Arizona heat (118° today). My golf coach realized how dedicated I was to it and I made the team after a little more than a month of practice. I was very inconsistent and shot anywhere from thirty-nine to sixty-nine and was usually around the number nine guy on the team. I played in about five junior PGA tournaments locally at the beginning of summer and shot in the low eighty's in almost all of them. But after doing eight hour practices on my own all summer, I can now consistently shoot in the mid to high seventy's every time I play and I still have lots of room to improve. I really don't know how college golf recruiting works or if you just send your tournament results and handicap to different coaches. I don't even know what you should be able to shoot to be competitive. My junior year of high school and golf season starts next week. I also have about a 3.4 GPA and live in a smaller city (My school doesn't really get recruited for anything,but our number one guy is about to get a full ride to a D-1 school in Texas). If anyone has any advice on what I could door just general information about college golf, I would really appreciate it.

[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Taylormade R11S 9*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Taylormade V-Steel 15*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Taylormade PSi 3-9[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 47*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Cleveland CG14 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Miura Forged 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#454545][font=Helvetica][size=3]Taylormade Rossa Corza Ghost[/size][/font][/color]

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, What you have to do is get your name out to the main coaches that you want. By doing this you must play in both local tournaments and national tournaments. Best ones are usga, ajga, junior world , etc. However, playing high school golf for the high school isnt really going to get you much attention. By building up a good resume. You can send an email regarding your interest in the school n I'm sure they will right back. However, to play d1 golf. You must shoot anywhere from the mid seventies to under par. Almost everytime you tee it up. Don't worry I know many players the started late, so they walked on and earned more scholarship by improving. Stay dedicated

• 5 weeks later...

I play division 1 golf and let me tell you my experience.

I was a decent junior golfer but I didnt pay in any big national tournaments.. just the local junior stuff and some of the state juior am/men am stuff. My junior and senior year in high school i played rather well in high school golf averaging around 36 both years. I had one really good tournament (happened to be the biggest one of the year for my area, our junior PGA championship shot 71-70) Still without having played in big AJGA tourneys i was getting no attention from even D3 schools other than a couple local ones. The only way I got got to where I am is by making a great resume and sending it to coaches and most importantly FOLOWING UP!!! You have to form a relationhip with coaches by calling them e-mailing them over and over. My coach recieves resumues and emails everyday but ony the ones who either have oustanding scores and gradesstand out, but if you make yourself stand out by continuously contating them they will take notice and look into you.

Now onto the actual golf, If you are telling the truth and you can consistantly shoot in the 70s yu will be able to find some schools who will be interested in you i can garuntee that. After getting to play with some other D1 golfers I have come to one conclusion. The only way to compete on the cllege level is to have an amazing short game. I have played with people who spray their drivers all over the course but the manage to shoot 72-74 every week.. Kep your short game sharp and I'm sure you will be able to find a school.

Beset of Luck.... Wish you success in the future

• 4 months later...

[quote name='bonagolf' timestamp='1327088984' post='4125803']

I was a decent junior golfer but I didnt pay in any big national tournaments.. just the local junior stuff and some of the state juior am/men am stuff. My junior and senior year in high school i played rather well in high school golf averaging around 36 both years. I had one really good tournament (happened to be the biggest one of the year for my area, our junior PGA championship shot 71-70) Still without having played in big AJGA tourneys i was getting no attention from even D3 schools other than a couple local ones. The only way I got got to where I am is by making a great resume and sending it to coaches and most importantly FOLOWING UP!!! You have to form a relationhip with coaches by calling them e-mailing them over and over. My coach recieves resumues and emails everyday but ony the ones who either have oustanding scores and gradesstand out, but if you make yourself stand out by continuously contating them they will take notice and look into you.

Now onto the actual golf, If you are telling the truth and you can consistantly shoot in the 70s yu will be able to find some schools who will be interested in you i can garuntee that. After getting to play with some other D1 golfers I have come to one conclusion. The only way to compete on the cllege level is to have an amazing short game. I have played with people who spray their drivers all over the course but the manage to shoot 72-74 every week.. Kep your short game sharp and I'm sure you will be able to find a school.

[/quote]

Could not have said it better. I played my NCAA golf at Arizona State Make a LARGE list of schools you would like to go to, put together a solid resume (throw in yearly stats and tournament results, don't put a video) Keep checking in with coaches, hammer away at it, if your game is solid you will get noticed. Best of luck to you dude

• 1 year later...

[quote name='MBianchi' timestamp='1340200194' post='5134796']
[quote name='bonagolf' timestamp='1327088984' post='4125803']

[/quote]

Could not have said it better. I played my NCAA golf at Arizona State Make a LARGE list of schools you would like to go to, put together a solid resume (throw in yearly stats and tournament results, don't put a video) Keep checking in with coaches, hammer away at it, if your game is solid you will get noticed. Best of luck to you dude
[/quote]

I played D3 golf at Amherst, a small school in Mass. I wasn't good enough to play at a lot of the top D1 schools but enjoyed the work-life balance of the weekend tournament (I was more focused on academics). If you want to play golf at big schools like ASU, consider checking out the NCCGA (they have 2 club teams at ASU, for example). NCCGA hosts weekend club tournaments in the fall and spring for most major options. If you go to the big schools an don't make it, it's worth checking out.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='bonagolf' timestamp='1327088984' post='4125803']I play division 1 golf and let me tell you my experience.

Beset of Luck.... Wish you success in the future[/quote]

He's so right. All the events i play in, I'll be 10/15 yards past some other players, but they chip it close and sink the 12 footers for par.

Short game is king.

11.5* TMaG SIM 2 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60g
18* TMaG SIM 2 5 Wood Ventus Blue Stiff 59g
Scratch DD 3 Iron - TTDG S300
W/S Tour V6 Forged 4-7 - TTDG S300

W/S FG Tour 100 8-PW - TTDG S300
SM6 Black 52/56/60 - TTDG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless
Ping Hoofer Lite Carry Bag
Titleist ProV1x "THRIFTY" play #33