2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Titleist 905 series drivers .... who's still gaming one?

RobotDoctor

I am gaming a Titleist 905T with a UST PROFORCE AXIVCORE Green 65 (S flex). I prefer the 400cc driver head and the traditional Titleist pear shaped head. Anything bigger in size and I cannot mentally adjust to it. I was thinking of going with a 915 D5 (if the offer this) but after a couple of drives today I may pass. I am plenty long with this driver and can control (somewhat) the shape of the shot I intend to hit. What I cannot control has more to do with me and my swing flaws than the driver itself. That said, I love my 905T and wonder how much more a 915 would offer.

How many are in a similar boat as me and what are you thinking? Thanks in advance.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

905R is the best. I had a 913 for a few weeks and the R was better than it in every way. I'm looking to grab a couple more 8.5 or 9.5 heads and start trying different shafts.. I had a 10.5 one on ebay and it was gone in 3 minutes. :) Buyer said "this is my all time favorite driver".

I had the speeder stiff in mine back in 2006 and it was really good. Now this NV reg is pretty good as well. I coincidentally have a 905S with the speeder that is going to be swapped in.

My buddy still games a 905T with the NV. I HATED the 905S.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Anybody use a 905 with a steel shaft? I know this method was pretty much extinct at that point in history, but I was a little curious as I'm throwing an S300 in my 975J-VS tonight.

Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
WITB Link

Still rockin' the 905S. Can't seem to find anything that performs better. The Bridgestone J33r came the closest, but it's long gone.

Titleist TS4 8.5 - Accra FX 2.0 M5 360
Titleist TS3 - 15 degree - Accra FX 2.0 M5 370
Titleist TS2 17 hybrid - Even Flow White 6.5
Ping S55 3-W Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
Ping Glide 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue 
Ping 2021 Anser 4

[quote name='BobBadger' timestamp='1411296194' post='10156297']
905r v2 in the corner of my man cave (with 906f2) won't get rid of either. As with many on here always looking for the perfect driver but in reality not many better than 905r.
[/quote]

+1.

I have a 905r 8.5deg with a Fuji TW74x. One of my favorite drivers of all time. Really under-rated shaft too. First ever driver I got fitted for on a LM. It's retired now and has earned a spot in one of my Titleist staff bags my home office!

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='BobBadger' timestamp='1411296194' post='10156297']
905r v2 in the corner of my man cave (with 906f2) won't get rid of either. As with many on here always looking for the perfect driver but in reality not many better than 905r.
[/quote]

I hit the exact same combo yesterday.In fact it was a driver I'd sold to a pal,and he lent it to me as I was visiting him this weekend. Man it brought back memories......

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

I've been battling a "power fade" all season long. However, I recalled that my best driving in the past 10 years occurred a few years ago with a Titleist 905T. As I have added a considerable amount of strength since then and now put a lot more spin on the ball, I purchased a 905S to get similar results with less spin. Mission accomplished. I'm able to release the smaller clubhead much more effectively, and my power fade is now a soft fade or straight shot. Within the 905 series, the S is now my new favorite. The T is a close second, while the R was too high launching and too high spinning for my swing characteristics. Awesome clubs.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

I've been gaming a couple of Taylormade drivers the since the beginning of last year's golf season (2016 M1 9.5 degree 430cc and this year a 2018 M3 9.5 degree 440cc) with marginal success. Both TM drivers have the same Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S shaft as the baseline. I took out my previous gamer, a 905S with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S (full bore insertion) and just plane hammered the ball. The 905S seems a just a tad heavier in terms of swingweight but impact feels much more solid. While the comparison is on the range the 905S doesn't seem significantly shorter, if at all. The shot dispersion is much tighter with the 905S and I am able to hit drives right to left (draw) without much effort. I've got a 905T 9.5 degree coming (new, never been hit). I am looking forward to continuing the testing and to add the NOS 905T (with the probability of, you guess it, of installing a Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S. I will probably do a blind bore install (2.5" - 3").

I know many will state newer drivers go farther, which may be true. There's something with the last three new drivers I purchased that from testing/demo/fitting that isn't translating from the initial session to putting it in play. These were the Titleist 915 D3 9.5, and the two Taylormade drivers. The 905S is simply performing on par with these three and shot dispersion is much tighter. At the end of the day the game is easier hitting fairways, even if the drive is 10 yards shorter. To me there is just something with the classic Titleist series of drivers from the 975 through 905 (400cc heads) that simply resonates to me.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

> @RobotDoctor said:

> I know many will state newer drivers go farther, which may be true. There's something with the last three new drivers I purchased that from testing/demo/fitting that isn't translating from the initial session to putting it in play. These were the Titleist 915 D3 9.5, and the two Taylormade drivers. The 905S is simply performing on par with these three and shot dispersion is much tighter. At the end of the day the game is easier hitting fairways, even if the drive is 10 yards shorter. To me there is just something with the classic Titleist series of drivers from the 975 through 905 (400cc heads) that simply resonates to me.

Maybe try a TS4 when they come out or get a 915 D4 head? I think the swingweight on the newer Titleist are still lighter (unless you adjust it) but the feel may be closer to the 905S with the CG closer to the face.

I never hit the 905 series but have an old 983E that I play with a few times a year. I could hit the 983E farther than the modern 460 cc drivers I had played, but the foul balls were much worse to the point where it wasn't a good option to play every round. The 905s are a bit bigger (vs. the 983E), so they may be more stable on off-centre hits.

Personally, I don't really care about the smaller clubhead size. I only care about what I see when I look up and whether the ball flight/trajectory is good. In theory, I believe the 460 cc heads are a better option for me in principal (and for most in general), but I haven't found one combo that is just right yet (mostly tried various D2/D3s, 2016 M2, and GMax). Partly, I seem to like looking down at more loft and it seems like I can get a better ball flight with a head that has the CG closer to the face. Of course, this is still making the mis-hits worse, but they are not as bad as they are with the 983E.

Edit: I'm not sure there is much difference between the Titleist options listed above and the M1 430/M3 440 other than brand preference.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @RobotDoctor said:

> > I know many will state newer drivers go farther, which may be true. There's something with the last three new drivers I purchased that from testing/demo/fitting that isn't translating from the initial session to putting it in play. These were the Titleist 915 D3 9.5, and the two Taylormade drivers. The 905S is simply performing on par with these three and shot dispersion is much tighter. At the end of the day the game is easier hitting fairways, even if the drive is 10 yards shorter. To me there is just something with the classic Titleist series of drivers from the 975 through 905 (400cc heads) that simply resonates to me.

> Maybe try a TS4 when they come out or get a 915 D4 head? I think the swingweight on the newer Titleist are still lighter (unless you adjust it) but the feel may be closer to the 905S with the CG closer to the face.

>

> I never hit the 905 series but have an old 983E that I play with a few times a year. I could hit the 983E farther than the modern 460 cc drivers I had played, but the foul balls were much worse to the point where it wasn't a good option to play every round. The 905s are a bit bigger (vs. the 983E), so they may be more stable on off-centre hits.

>

> Personally, I don't really care about the smaller clubhead size. I only care about what I see when I look up and whether the ball flight/trajectory is good. In theory, I believe the 460 cc heads are a better option for me in principal (and for most in general), but I haven't found one combo that is just right yet (mostly tried various D2/D3s, 2016 M2, and GMax). Partly, I seem to like looking down at more loft and it seems like I can get a better ball flight with a head that has the CG closer to the face. Of course, this is still making the mis-hits worse, but they are not as bad as they are with the 983E.

>

> Edit: I'm not sure there is much difference between the Titleist options listed above and the M1 430/M3 440 other than brand preference.

The 983E was an outstanding driver for it's day. The deep face and lower launch was definitely the tougher of the two models (other being 983K). I have both models in a bag in my garage. The 905 series is definitely easier to hit, even on off center hits. While the 905S and 905T are probably not as forgiving on off center hits compared to a 460cc driver of today, they are still pretty manageable. It's odd that I have a tighter shot dispersion with my 905S than current day drivers. I also like a smaller head as this seems to make working the ball right to left or left to right a lot easier. At the end of the day it is about controlling the flight and direction of a golf ball. Having a driver I can trust is incredibly important. I also love the look of the Titleist pear shape in the 975/983/905 series. That figures since I started playing in the 80s and started with laminate and persimmon woods. I quickly developed a fondness to Cleveland Classics woods which led me to the classic MacGregor woods of the 50s (693, M43, M85, 945). That pear shape is pleasing to my eye and indirectly makes me believe I can hit the ball well. Who ever said golf is more of a mental game? They were right.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread.

I have been playing with the TS4 with a Kuro Kage 70x and have an old 905s with a graffaloy blue S coming in soon. I played the 905s in Hs and college and that was the best I ever drove the ball.

My dispersion has been improved with the TS4 over my last few 460cc drivers and I wanted to give an even smaller driver a shot and see if it can improve on it even more. I will weigh the distance lost vs the improvement in dispersion and see if I have a new gamer.

Anyone out there still gaming the 905S?

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

Picked up a 905R 9.5 with the stock Speeder S shaft off the bay a few months ago and planned to reshaft with an OG Whiteboard. Decided to try it while playing with some buddies at Gaylord Springs Links in Nashville. Beautiful draws every time I hit it. Drove the green on the 16th, but had to settle for a birdie! Distance is right there with all my other drivers.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

My gamer driver is a 905R. It is the longest and best feeling driver I've ever had and I got a 975D, 983K and a R510TP in my basement which says a lot.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> I have been playing with the TS4 with a Kuro Kage 70x and have an old 905s with a graffaloy blue S coming in soon. I played the 905s in Hs and college and that was the best I ever drove the ball.

>

> My dispersion has been improved with the TS4 over my last few 460cc drivers and I wanted to give an even smaller driver a shot and see if it can improve on it even more. I will weigh the distance lost vs the improvement in dispersion and see if I have a new gamer.

>

> Anyone out there still gaming the 905S?

I still play the 905s with a Graphite Design YS-6+ stiff shaft . I’m used to driving the ball with a little shape to it. I’ve tried some newer models but nothing has rocked my world so it stays in the bag.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I just put a v2 shaft in a 905s I picked up for 20 bucks. I think it’s going to knock the Ltd pro out of the bag. Went from being 5-10 yds past my buddy to on that first day to maybe five yds behind on average, but it still goes plenty far enough and my big miss was gone at least for the first 18. I think I’m gonna bag this into next year, and look at the t4 if I feel I’m giving up to much. I’m sure that I could get better numbers with an exact match on shaft and loft, but I was really pleased.

I’ve got 2 905Rs. Best driver I’ve ever played. It goes just as far as my G400

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41