Callaway 2015 Big Bertha Irons and Adjustable Hybrids: In-hand photos

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kmac02576' timestamp='1411580404' post='10176007']
[quote name='timbo08' timestamp='1411578105' post='10175783']
So how many high handicap golfers who play enough golf to justify spending a grand on irons but are still high handicappers actually going to buy these? Especially when they are sitting next to a set of Speedblades that probably fly pretty close to the same and are $6-$700 less?
[/quote]

A lot more than you think. You've been spending too much time on this forum
[/quote]

Maybe I have but I have yet to run into a non GolfWRX gear head that is dropping a grand on just a set of irons. And further more, I don't know anyone who spends over a grand on their whole bag who doesn't play often enough to be at least a mid-level handicapper.

Hybrids look good but think they have a flop on the irons,Would love to know what irons I.E SGI irons there 2 clubs longer than then take it from there

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='timbo08' timestamp='1411590865' post='10177051']
So how many high handicap golfers who play enough golf to justify spending a grand on irons but are still high handicappers actually going to buy these? Especially when they are sitting next to a set of Speedblades that probably fly pretty close to the same and are $6-$700 less?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe I have but I have yet to run into a non GolfWRX gear head that is dropping a grand on just a set of irons. And further more, I don't know anyone who spends over a grand on their whole bag who doesn't play often enough to be at least a mid-level handicapper.
[/quote]

At my old course I used to work at it was very common. Community was full of a lot of seniors, veterans, retired etc. Many with disposable income. Now not saying that everyone was willing to spend but had several that would just buy to buy bc they have that income where they have nothing else to spend on. Play multiple times a week and especially for the older generation looking for that light weight easy to hit club bc they know they aren't going to hit it a mile. The benefit most of these guys have is that they use trade in a lot and grow a good relationship with the store they do business with so that price isn't always played in full after trade in. Not to mention the 90 day return policy etc. But anyways the general public tends to buy retail more often then not but still find ways to make some deals etc.

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

[quote name='south_side_lefty' timestamp='1411572279' post='10175119']
Hybrids, yes.

Irons, probably not
[/quote]

[quote name='south_side_lefty' timestamp='1411572279' post='10175119']
Hybrids, yes.

Irons, probably not
[/quote]

I agree,

I'd consider a Hybrid if they could make it in 17°. Iron would never happen 44° degree pw & 23° 5 iron :cheesy:,

Honestly now that I am seeing the hybrids I don't think I would change. The look of the x2hot to my eyes look better. I love the x2hot hybrids. Maybe I will have a bag set up for another year. First time in forever.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='RandomGolfGuy' timestamp='1411596157' post='10177555']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At my old course I used to work at it was very common. Community was full of a lot of seniors, veterans, retired etc. Many with disposable income. Now not saying that everyone was willing to spend but had several that would just buy to buy bc they have that income where they have nothing else to spend on. Play multiple times a week and especially for the older generation looking for that light weight easy to hit club bc they know they aren't going to hit it a mile. The benefit most of these guys have is that they use trade in a lot and grow a good relationship with the store they do business with so that price isn't always played in full after trade in. Not to mention the 90 day return policy etc. But anyways the general public tends to buy retail more often then not but still find ways to make some deals etc.
[/quote]

Good point, thanks for the perspective! Guess I need to remember that I don't know all of the golfing community, only a small niche compared to the millions out there.

[quote name='sergizmo' timestamp='1411590283' post='10177003']
They have to bring the price down on these. $999 for 8 irons or $1299 for 6 irons and 2 hybrids will push people to look at Cobra or Adams for SGI irons.
[/quote]

I agree. I like the way the irons look. I realize that I need the extra forgiveness and I honestly don't mind a thicker club. But the $1k price tag immediately takes them out of consideration for me.

From my perspective, and some people will disagree, Mizuno irons have the reputation of being a higher priced, higher class (in general, not just vs Callaway), but brilliantly made product. I can pick from their latest lineup and pay no more than $999. Granted, in 6 months those Mizunos will still be a grand while the BBs will be less (presumably), but I wonder if Callaway faces a tough sell at this price point. I will probably be proven wrong. They have smarter people than me selling this stuff.

Not a fan of the irons. Hybrids look nice and the adjustability is a plus as I wish the X2 Hot offered a lower loft than 19. But I'll echo what others have said: It will take a lot to knock the X2 Hot out of the bag. It is the best hybrid I've ever played.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='Konklifer' timestamp='1411650931' post='10180913']
Not a fan of the irons. Hybrids look nice and the adjustability is a plus as I wish the X2 Hot offered a lower loft than 19. But I'll echo what others have said: It will take a lot to knock the X2 Hot out of the bag. It is the best hybrid I've ever played.
[/quote]

I agree with this. The x2hot hybrid's are amazing The best I have used in awhile. The look of them is absolutely perfect to my eyes. Saw some comparison pics of the BB hybrid and standard x2hot and the BB look meatier. So I will most likely be going out and snagging a 19' for the 215-225 range. Even the gray set up of the x2hots I prefer. All around excellent club.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='Jimhayden' timestamp='1411611911' post='10179083']
Just bought the apex irons 6-aw this year in March and love them got a nice price from DD , used to have taylormade cgbs I'm a 5 capper looks like I will be going back to SGI irons I'm 54 but still hit the 7iron 170 so I'm hoping for more distance any want some apex s for a decent price?
[/quote]

Apex Pros? WHat shafts? PM me might be interested in a good deal.

I hit these irons today at PGA superstore and the feel wasn't all that bad, better then I expected, really kinda felt like a hybrid. They had the 7 iron out and it was very long. I currently play '13 x forged and I'd say it's like 3 clubs longer.

The speed cup face in the iron is a cool idea. I won't be playing the bertha irons but I could see this tech eventually end up in long irons of the apex or apex pro irons, or an iron like that, and I think it would be cool.

I like the looks of both the irons and hybrids. The irons look like a cross between the old Big Bertha irons and the Fusions irons. I like the black and red colors over the X2 Hot colors and the finish on these looks nice. I'm not gonna complain about the price, they can charge whatever they want. That's because I'm not a "gotta have em as soon as they're released!" kinda buyer. I never pay the full retail price for this stuff. Ever. I can wait them out until the price drops kick in. Or just buy a slightly used set that someone tried once and didn't like. Either way works for me.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At my country club, there are a whole lot of of high handicappers with a ton of money and spend a lot of it on SGI irons looking for all the help they can get. A lot of them, especially older players, play with 4 hybrids and Scotty belly putters and have bags upwards of $1500+.

These will be in plenty of bags.

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1411598460' post='10177779']
Honestly now that I am seeing the hybrids I don't think I would change. The look of the x2hot to my eyes look better. I love the x2hot hybrids. Maybe I will have a bag set up for another year. First time in forever.
[/quote]

I don't know, that dark blue/black on top of the BBs and the adjustability would be pretty nice to have. Shape of the BB looks very similar to the non pro x2h too. But I get what you're saying, I love my x2h non-pros myself.

I'll have to try and compare.

I saw the BB irons in person yesterday and they just look massive. Sole is huge, much larger than the G25 and G30 irons I have my eyes on. More SGI than GI for sure.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

[quote name='Konklifer' timestamp='1411650931' post='10180913']
[/quote]

I hit the BB 4 hybrid today. I too think that the x2 Hot hybrid is the best that I have hit. The BBs would have to be the easiest that I have hit. The recoil shaft is smooth and responsive. They are noticeably more forgiving than the X2 Hots. I would have to hit them side by side to make a true comparison on distance, but I would say that the BBs are shorter in distance and hit with more spin and a much higher trajectory.

The technology reminds me of the MacGregor Mactec NVG2 Mid irons I still have in the closet somewhere. I think they even used the Cup Face 360 Technology as a selling point. They were VERY long and I used to love playing them. Here is a link to the old info page:

http://macgregorgolf.hubstrategy.com/nvg2_mid_irons.asp

[quote name='NAM2212' timestamp='1412011318' post='10206395']
The technology reminds me of the MacGregor Mactec NVG2 Mid irons I still have in the closet somewhere. I think they even used the Cup Face 360 Technology as a selling point. They were VERY long and I used to love playing them. Here is a link to the old info page:

[url="http://macgregorgolf.hubstrategy.com/nvg2_mid_irons.asp"]http://macgregorgolf...2_mid_irons.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, my brother still game the NVG2 Mid, long and very forgiving.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I hit the 3H with F3 flex shaft indoors and came away very impressed. It sets up nice and square and a little flatter in the standard setting than the X2 Hot. The feel is more explosive than the X2H as well. The F3 flex (Regular) Recoil shaft is stable and feels incredible. Distance was very close to the X2H but the BB was noticeably more forgiving, and that's saying a lot.

The X2H is the only hybrid EVER that has stayed in the bag for an entire season. However, this may end up replacing it. I had said that if the X2H came in lower lofts I'd replace my fairway woods with one. Even though the lowest loft I could get with the BB is 18*, I would seriously consider bagging a couple and dropping my 4w. They are so easy to hit it's silly.

An outdoor demo, and a comparison to the upcoming Titleist 915 hybrids, is in order before any purchase will be made. But they show much promise.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I was at Golfsmith yesterday for about an hour and saw two sets go out the door. So they are selling. I did hit and I was hitting about 18 yards longer than my apex pros. The only thing for me was the spin rates were extremely low like 4100 with a 21 launch.

PING 410 10.5 LST -1.5 DEGREES RIP 50x
PING 410 LST 15 DIAMANA ORANGE X

CALLAWAY UW 19 ALTUS BLUE 75 X

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST PRO HYBRID

CALLAWAY TCB 5-AW PROJECT X CATALYST 100

CALLAWAY FULL TOE 54, 60 MMT 125 SCORING WEDGES
YES TRACY

For me the only controversial look to these irons is the amount of offset. As a SGI iron I expected the sole width and overall thickness. The color, finish and graphics all work well together. The offset is extreme!

The shape of the BB hybrid is terrific! I prefer the metallic black and deep red coloring of this club. The recoil shaft also looks fantastic with this club.

Does anyone know if there will be a BB Pro hybrid? If it retained the same shape and adjustability in a slightly downsized rendition, that would be perfect! Maybe a Speeder hyb shaft too.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Hit hybrid 4 with recoil shaft today. Awesome! First time I hit anything with recoil shaft so that might be it. Price way too high for me though. I'll wait until next year and get one for sure.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

I hate posting something like this but I cannot argue the results. Its not a fair comparison but still, eye opening. I was hitting multiple shots between my 850 forged Mizzy's vs the Big Bertha irons. I teed off on one hole with my Miz 4iron, hit the Bertha 5 iron and was 20yds longer. It was dumb how easy to hit these things were. Went back in forth in the round and the Big Bertha's were consistently longer and easier to hit. I know its not a fair comparison, totally different iron categories, but it was downright fun to hit em.

[quote name='dtorn4' timestamp='1412472670' post='10237141']
i really wish they'd make a 2h
[/quote]
You do realize you can change the loft, right?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!