George Knudson, a swing more 'Hogan' than Hogan himself

13»

Comments

• playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    I find it hard to understand how a guy with the talent of Knudson couldn't figure out a way to bet at least middle of the road with the putter. If he had just been an average putter he would have won a boatload of majors but from footage I've seen he was absolutely diabolical on the greens. Even in that video he says his aim is to hit every green and two putt. That is a defeatist attitude right there.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    A real shame he couldn't get it done on the green.
    Posted:
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    What was his ball flight like...anyone know?
    Posted:
  • ArnsybillArnsybill Members  295WRX Points: 74Posts: 295 Greens

What was his ball flight like...anyone know?

Interesting thread. I was lucky enough to watch George hit balls in the late 80s at his range in north Toronto.

Two points to share... in the above videos where George looks like he's really squatting at the knees... that has more to do with footage... George did not bend his knees excessively like that.

As for his trajectory... he hit whatever he wanted... bullets to floaters... he had it all.
    Posted:
  • JackieTreehornJackieTreehorn Members  199WRX Points: 0Posts: 199
    Knusdon stresses a really wide left foot position at address. I imagine almost like a "regular-K address" feel in the legs. Tried it and it really does give you more freedom to rotate to finish. Surprising that you don't hear that in modern instruction. Seems like a very important point.
    Posted:
  • fatsfats Members  1865WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,865
    George was a genius. We were friends abd drinking buddies. I will always admire George
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    ZBigStick wrote:

CARDY wrote:

Cool that two very re-known ball strikers were Canadians (I am including Moe of course)

Very cool. Hard not to have heard stories of them both growing up playing golf in Toronto.

Seeing his swing reminds me of Jon Senden. Another brilliant ball striker with a putting weakness.

Sendens rhythm is as good as you will ever see.
    Posted:
  • bullramblerbullrambler Members  632WRX Points: 31Posts: 632 Golden Tee
    Powerful ball strikers on full shots - always accelerate past the point of impact... Keep the club moving and the finish shows if one has maintained acceleration past the ball. As an example - Greg Norman used to bounce the shaft off of his back.
    Posted:
    fats wrote:

George was a genius. We were friends abd drinking buddies. I will always admire George

what was his stock shot?

And what did he like to drink? haha.
    Posted:
  • ArnsybillArnsybill Members  295WRX Points: 74Posts: 295 Greens
    I saw a copy of Knudson's book in Goodwill. If anyone wants it... I'll purchase it and ship it to you...

$15 US + Shipping...

Let me know...
    Posted:
  • The Big PinchThe Big Pinch Everybody Loves Holly Members  1295WRX Points: 129Handicap: 3.6Posts: 1,295 Platinum Tees
    Amazon has the book for Kindle @ $10.99.
    Posted:
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
    Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
    Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
    Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
    Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
    Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
    Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.