Replacement for Hex Black Tour

Tex1986

I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hearing that the SR2 and/or the SR3 is supposed to be it's replacement. Maybe pick up a sleeve of each and try them out against the HBT.

I've currently got 4dz that I'm trying to burn through, but the season is starting to close down here in VA. Probably have about a month or so left before it gets cold enough that the round isn't as enjoyable.

TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke

[quote name='taz757' timestamp='1412267268' post='10224355']I've been hearing that the SR2 and/or the SR3 is supposed to be it's replacement. Maybe pick up a sleeve of each and try them out against the HBT.

I've currently got 4dz that I'm trying to burn through, but the season is starting to close down here in VA. Probably have about a month or so left before it gets cold enough that the round isn't as enjoyable.[/quote]

Yea, I've got the opposite seasonality down here in TX. The rounds are just getting enjoyable since its past summer and I don't mind wearing a hoodie when it's 50 out during our cold winters.

I got family in Blacksburg, Hot Springs, and Clintwood. You live near there or more toward the east?

I was hoping that they didn't replace it with their $48 balls. Every time I find a ball I like, it seems like it gets discontinued lol. Have you found any other balls that are similar?

Hex Black's are toast and that is a bad thing. Amazing ball from everywhere with one exception: durability. Back when these came out I sent Callaway pictures of the cover on a couple that lasted 3 holes. My grooves (pre-rule change at the time) had chewed the ball past the point of use.

Still, love the ball and it will be missed. I am playing the Chrome+ in its place and testing the SR2 and SR3 as replacements for when Callaway decides to do something foolish and discontinue the Chrome/Chrome+ line. Given the cost on the SR2/SR3's I am thinking about looking at B-stone B330-S and the Srixon lines. Haven't played Srixon in a while so it will be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

My beef with the Hex black in addition to the durability is they are 15 yards shorter for me than a Chrome+ off the tee.

I want the Chrome+ to go on sale up here, I will buy 10-12 dozen to last me 2 years.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1412288882' post='10226333']
Hex Black's are toast and that is a bad thing. Amazing ball from everywhere with one exception: durability. Back when these came out I sent Callaway pictures of the cover on a couple that lasted 3 holes. My grooves (pre-rule change at the time) had chewed the ball past the point of use.

Still, love the ball and it will be missed. I am playing the Chrome+ in its place and testing the SR2 and SR3 as replacements for when Callaway decides to do something foolish and discontinue the Chrome/Chrome+ line. Given the cost on the SR2/SR3's I am thinking about looking at B-stone B330-S and the Srixon lines. Haven't played Srixon in a while so it will be interesting.
[/quote]
Hex blacks and chrome pluses have been phased out in Oz. I am dow to last few chrome pluses. Tried the SR2 and it is not a replacement to the chrome plus imo. I gave up after two rounds with them. My pro shop still has some blacks left so will give them a try. If they stack up I can get a few dozen at a good price. Haven't tried the SR3 but not optimistic about it after hitting the SR2.

The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I went from the HBT to the SR2 for this season. I think the SR3 is closer in feel, but it is for club head speeds over 105, so I went with the SR2 and have liked playing it, softer feel than the HBT and good all around performance.

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

The HBT is definitely my favorite Cally ball of all time, but it definitely had its flaws. It felt very clicky off a milled putter, and it was hands down the least durable ball I've ever games. That thing shredded every time I hit it with a wedge. The Chrome+ was an all around better ball, and they can still be bought, but they will be gone soon too. While the SR2 & 3 are good balls, I personally don't think they are any better than the HBT or Chrome+, except in the durability department, and they cost an arm and leg. IMO the closest ball I have ever hit to the HBT is the Nike 20XI-X or the RZN Black. They both have that firm feel off the driver, but are much more durable. The 20XI-X runs about $22 a dozen right now.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

[quote name='Armypilot84' timestamp='1413248720' post='10281375']The HBT is definitely my favorite Cally ball of all time, but it definitely had its flaws. It felt very clicky off a milled putter, and it was hands down the least durable ball I've ever games. That thing shredded every time I hit it with a wedge. The Chrome+ was an all around better ball, and they can still be bought, but they will be gone soon too. While the SR2 & 3 are good balls, I personally don't think they are any better than the HBT or Chrome+, except in the durability department, and they cost an arm and leg. IMO the closest ball I have ever hit to the HBT is the Nike 20XI-X or the RZN Black. They both have that firm feel off the driver, but are much more durable. The 20XI-X runs about $22 a dozen right now.[/quote]
I didn't know they still made the 20xi-x.

I got a deal on those last year. A bum at a muni in Houston sold me a bag of about 30-40 Nike balls, most were 20xi-x, with some mojos, and pd softs. For $5, couldn't beat the price and I played those 20xi-x for the next few months.

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1413152694' post='10275567']
The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.
[/quote]
If that's true about the Chrome Speed that's the best news I've heard in a long time. I will game them.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1413370746' post='10290523']
[/quote]
If that's true about the Chrome Speed that's the best news I've heard in a long time. I will game them.
[/quote]

Heard it from a reliable source at Callaway, so it is legit. I have already seen and hit the Chrome Speed, unfortunately it was one ball that I promptly hit in the water so I can't comment on performance

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

Played the HBT about 2 seasons. Awesome ball. Thought it was the best ball I played. Until I found the SuperSOFT. There is no other ball for me. This is by far and away the best ball I ever played. I tried hitting the HBT after playing the SS all season. It felt like hitting a cue ball with an aluminum bat.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='Tex1986' timestamp='1412220442' post='10221785']
I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.
[/quote]

Costco is selling the regular HBTs for $19.99 dozen.

• 2 weeks later...

Callaway is really annoying when they change the names of their golf balls every year or two. When I find a Callaway that I like, it is gone in a year. Seems like I never know what I am purchasing when all the names are different.

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

• 2 months later...

[/quote]

Do you know the relase date for the Chrome Speed?

[quote name='Kohldsmoke' timestamp='1422158423' post='10812947']
[/quote]

Do you know the relase date for the Chrome Speed?
[/quote]

I hear they are having second thoughts about changing the name since the Chrome + was so successful.

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1413553984' post='10304577']
Played the HBT about 2 seasons. Awesome ball. Thought it was the best ball I played. Until I found the SuperSOFT. There is no other ball for me. This is by far and away the best ball I ever played. I tried hitting the HBT after playing the SS all season. It felt like hitting a cue ball with an aluminum bat.
[/quote]
I've had a simar experience with the chrome plus. I thought nothomg could replace that ball but after a couple months with the Nike PD Long I couldn't go back to the chrome plus. I love the feel and performance of the 2 piece, especially off driver and putter. This has been a revelation for me. I have been on the premium ball bandwagon forever. I wonder hkw many other ams would get the same benefit from using non tour balls? We will never find out cause the marketing for tour balls is so convincing and the indoctrination is so strong. Once people take that first hit of ProV kool aid, they are lifelong addicts.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1422162098' post='10813245']
[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1413553984' post='10304577']
[/quote]
I've had a simar experience with the chrome plus. I thought nothomg could replace that ball but after a couple months with the Nike PD Long I couldn't go back to the chrome plus. I love the feel and performance of the 2 piece, especially off driver and putter. This has been a revelation for me. I have been on the premium ball bandwagon forever. I wonder hkw many other ams would get the same benefit from using non tour balls? We will never find out cause the marketing for tour balls is so convincing and the indoctrination is so strong. Once people take that first hit of ProV kool aid, they are lifelong addicts.
[/quote]
There is a lot of truth to this. I decided I wanted more spin around the greens so I chose to take a slightly less forgiving ball. The Chrome Soft might be the long term answer for me however. But I have a BUNCH of Chrome+ to use as well!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1413064824' post='10271779']
My beef with the Hex black in addition to the durability is they are 15 yards shorter for me than a Chrome+ off the tee.

I want the Chrome+ to go on sale up here, I will buy 10-12 dozen to last me 2 years.
[/quote]

Agreed. I found if your a pretty high spin player the hex black were shorter off the driver and maybe 5 yards shorter on some iron shots. Although the chrome + is a little firmer ball, I preferred it over the hex black.

[quote name='1t2golf' timestamp='1413603675' post='10308385']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait. My local costco knocked the hex black tour's down to 15/dozen when they were making room for the hex control at the end of 2014. I Got at least 7 dozen while the supplies lasted and gave a couple out as gifts.

As far as replacement - bridgey b330, e5 and nike rzn black.

[quote name='mpghouse' timestamp='1424702882' post='11009919']
[quote name='1t2golf' timestamp='1413603675' post='10308385']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wait. My local costco knocked the hex black tour's down to 15/dozen when they were making room for the hex control at the end of 2014. I Got at least 7 dozen while the supplies lasted and gave a couple out as gifts.

As far as replacement - bridgey b330, e5 and nike rzn black.
[/quote]

e5 != hex black. we're talking about two different balls here. the e5 is a 2 piece urethane while the hex black is a 5 layer with a dual core. two different animals and cannot be compared.

TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke

[quote name='mpghouse' timestamp='1424871924' post='11024889']
I disagree totally. They're both urethane balls with similar spin rates for both driver and wedge.
[/quote]

I disagree with your disagreement. Two entirely different beasts. Soft mantled beasts, but still very different performers. If someone is a big fan of the HBT, they may like the feel of the e5, but will have to manage their game a bit differently.

[/quote]goodl ball, mid to high spin but soft, i loved it

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424898344' post='11027853']
[quote name='mpghouse' timestamp='1424871924' post='11024889']
I disagree totally. They're both urethane balls with similar spin rates for both driver and wedge.
[/quote]

I disagree with your disagreement. Two entirely different beasts. Soft mantled beasts, but still very different performers. If someone is a big fan of the HBT, they may like the feel of the e5, but will have to manage their game a bit differently.
[/quote]

lol beasts indeed.
*waits for TM to release BEASTZ line of balls*