I think it's time for Hogan!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1412860444' post='10259659']
[quote name='Silky' timestamp='1412860194' post='10259649']
Yea, Temboloni is porked up again.

You should take Pin's offer for a stay in his apartment in Bangkok. It is a golfing heaven during nov, dec, jan after the rainy season and the weather is not too hot. I myself never met ladyboy caddies though. Can they rape you?
[/quote]

I'd imagine so? If they were functional.

But i'd imagine them to be very scrawny. One slap and they are out...they probably like it though.

GROSS!
[/quote]

I heard that if you get raped by a ladyboy then you become a ladyboy. Be careful.

[quote]
If you start to pivot and leave the hands and arms behind, you'll become disconnected and get stuck. Hands and arms need to keep up.
[/quote]
Hogan didn't seem to have this problem. Perhaps you're just not performing the "free ride" part of the downswing the same way Hogan did.

[quote]
If you look what he actually does you can see the hands shifting out towards the ball in transition as opposed to moving straight down, so his pivot is not outracing his arms/hands.
[/quote]

If you want to agrue that what Hogan said in his book isn't what he did on the course, fine, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't deliberatly misrepresent what he did in is book. In his book the "free ride" is clearly describing passive hands and arms.

Did Hogan keep his hands and arms passive through the entire swing? No, only during the first part (the free ride part). Elsewhere in his book he says his hands become active, but that's late in the downswing.

[quote]
Now read the '55 time life article and see his thoughts on passive arms/hands.
[/quote]

I just quoted his 1957 book.

We're not talking absolutes here. Hogan's hands were not passive during 100% of the downswing, only during the first part (the free ride). A statement by Hogan that his hands were active in the downswing is consistent with what he wrote in his book: the hands are passive during the [b]first part[/b] of the downswing (the free ride) and active during the [b]last part[/b].

[quote name='Lime Shark' timestamp='1412815048' post='10257811']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1412809375' post='10257385']
He has a great pivot but it is very different than the "rotary" crowd IMO
[/quote]

Hogan definitely had a "swing the club around the body" swing, as opposed to the modern "two plane, up and down" swing (that was the reason his swing was so flat). When discussing the downswing in 5 Lessons, Hogan says:

[quote]What do the hands do? The answer is [b]they do nothing active[/b] until after the arms have moved on the downswing to a position just above the level of the hips. [b]The arms don’t propel this motion themselves . They are carried down by the movement of the hips.[/b] To understand just how the hands and arms get this “[b]free ride[/b],” pick up a club, swing it back, and hold your position at the top of the backswing. Now, forgetting about your hands and arms entirely, start to move your hips back to the left, in comparative slow motion. Now look where your hands are. This movement of the hips has automatically carried them down from the top — quite a good ways down , in fact, so that they are just about at hip level. In this position, tied in as they are with the body’s ever-building speed and power, the arms and hands should feel absolutely loaded with power. Everything you did from the grip on was calculated to get you into this this position. You cannot simulate this position or arrive at it by leaving out one of the integrated steps. Only if they have carried out the fundamental movements will the correct parts of the body be correctly interpoised at this critical time in the swing to pick up this terrific load of energy and deliver it.[/quote]

Hogan flatly states that the hands and arms do nothing for the first part of the downswing. So where does the power come to propel the arms and hands during this free-ride part of the swing? From the rotation of the trunk of the body--specifically the hips. Hogan used the rotation of the trunk combined with passive arms and hands in his swing. In that regard, his swing certainly fits in with the rotary model. No, Hogan didn't have a PURE rotary swing as some modern teachers teach it, but it was much closer to a rotary swing than the "modern" swing model.

Now, we can nit-pick over the difference between the terms pivot and rotate, but that's all it would be--nit-picking--as they both mean to turn around an axis.
[/quote]

What is a "modern" swing model? My point is a lot of guys over teach rotation, which is not Hogan IMO. All I said is be careful. The spin like a top chit with "passive arms" has farked more people up on this forum than anything else. It is a look. It could be passive if a bunch of other things are right. But if you tell a noob to spin and do nothing with your arms its going to get ugly quick. I no longer see it a pure rotation from the top, he has big lateral move and a little squat action and his arms work back in front. All this been discussed before about how his arm relationship to his shoulders and mid-line begin to close the gap down into impact. JMO

Is lime shark the new kellygreen ? Kellygreen loved Morpheus from the matrix , hence the infamous keys and exits line ( which he got wrong btw) . Morpheus had another line which was

" Neo , sooner or later you are going to realize just as I did there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"

Of course we never saw kellygreen walk the path

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1412864704' post='10260029']
Is lime shark the new kellygreen ? Kellygreen loved Morpheus from the matrix , hence the infamous keys and exits line ( which he got wrong btw) . Morpheus had another line which was

" Neo , sooner or later you are going to realize just as I did there is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"

Of course we never saw kellygreen walk the path
[/quote]

Where is our friend kellyGreen?

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

My point is a lot of guys over teach rotation, which is not Hogan IMO.

Under teaching rotation isn't Hogan either. Hogan's book (including the illustrations) repeatedly discuss rotating the hips.

BHHipsLeadArms.JPG

All I said is be careful. The spin like a top chit with "passive arms" has farked more people up on this forum than anything else. It is a look. It could be passive if a bunch of other things are right. But if you tell a noob to spin and do nothing with your arms its going to get ugly quick.

I wouldn't disagee, but the subject at hand is "swinging like Hogan," not "what are good swing mechanics for the typical amateur."

There's no problme in saying "Hogan did it like this, but a better model for most people is..."

My point is a lot of guys over teach rotation, which is not Hogan IMO.

Under teaching rotation isn't Hogan either. Hogan's book (including the illustrations) repeatedly discuss rotating the hips.

BHHipsLeadArms.JPG

All I said is be careful. The spin like a top chit with "passive arms" has farked more people up on this forum than anything else. It is a look. It could be passive if a bunch of other things are right. But if you tell a noob to spin and do nothing with your arms its going to get ugly quick.

I wouldn't disagee, but the subject at hand is "swinging like Hogan," not "what are good swing mechanics for the typical amateur."

There's no problme in saying "Hogan did it like this, but a better model for most people is..."

Don't ignore his large lateral move though. He has one of the biggest ones in the history of the game. Really puts his azz into the shot when he wants to pork one good and hard.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='Mike Divot' timestamp='1412889349' post='10262291']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1412864219' post='10259981']
swing them arms and get your butt into it! All good things.
[/quote]

?

Are you talking about Hogan's swing or ladyboys?
[/quote]

In this particular case Hogan. Keep me away from ladyboys!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Tembolo my good son, i will not be tempted to go there again, you got me banned last time if you remember.
One reason Hogan was so good was he went straight to the practice range and was not tempted by LB's waving at him on the street.

I did read the heavy buttocks thread without comment, see, controling yourself is the secret.
Keep your eyes on the ball and hands on the shaft, shrug off distraction like an annoying fly.
Self Discipline , my boy, self discipline! and some hard self-flagellation on Fridays.

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1412895088' post='10262693']
Tembolo my good son, i will not be tempted to go there again, you got me banned last time if you remember.
One reason Hogan was so good was he went straight to the practice range and was not tempted by LB's waving at him on the street.

I did read the heavy buttocks thread without comment, see, controling yourself is the secret.
Keep your eyes on the ball and hands on the shaft, shrug off distraction like an annoying fly.
Self Discipline , my boy, self discipline! and some hard self-flagellation on Fridays.
[/quote]

OH nooooooooooooo! That hogan in pantaloons thread got you put in the timeout box? I didn't know!

Sorry sir!

I also agree that controlling oneself is the secret.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1412941693' post='10264571']
[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1412895088' post='10262693']

[/quote]

OH nooooooooooooo! That hogan in pantaloons thread got you put in the timeout box? I didn't know!

Sorry sir!

I also agree that controlling oneself is the secret.
[/quote]

I didn't know either. I feel a bit responsible for starting the thread and being part of the crowd encouraging your awesome and hilarious responses. ooops.

[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1412920669' post='10264241']
I like how Tiger is drilling his arms in front here. Reminds me of the Hogan drill a bit.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQm86RIKAA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=3sQm86RIKAA[/url]

[attachment=2452065:drill.png]
[/quote]

I love this drill. That should be good when one wants to recover one's swing. It is like the "factory reset" button that restores our equipment to a clean state.

Where is the OP BTW. Have we scared him off?

[quote name='Silky' timestamp='1412979625' post='10267745']
I like how Tiger is drilling his arms in front here. Reminds me of the Hogan drill a bit.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQm86RIKAA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=3sQm86RIKAA[/url]

[/quote]

I love this drill. That should be good when one wants to recover one's swing. It is like the "factory reset" button that restores our equipment to a clean state.

[/quote]

yea...I don't do it nearly often enough, and I sure as heck need a factory reset a lot of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Silky' timestamp='1412979625' post='10267745']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry…. I was pulled back into the equipment area for awhile but I'm back to take in all the Hogan discussion. You guys take this stuff seriously!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf