Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

Looks good. Once the path is that dang straight, you can't miss too far off line either way. Way to go.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1402399420' post='9465245']
Looks good. Once the path is that dang straight, you can't miss too far off line either way. Way to go.
[/quote]
yeah was very pleased how straight my path is, cant wait to get out and play on Saturday in a match.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Shot a 66 in a match today round another course which featured 8 birdies and 2 bogeys. Was by far the best long game round I can remember and made some good tricky putts.

Have to say i really like using a line on the ball , the first time ive really used it in a round, takes a few extra seconds to get it aligned but takes all the worry away from aiming and can just worry about the speed

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a 73 off the very back tees today, should've been a lot better, a silly 3 putt on 12 then a massive error sticking it in the water short on 13 with 90 yards to the flag. but still solid and a good learning experience for club champs in 2 weeks to make sure I really concentrate on my shot choice.

handicap down to 1.7 so its going in the right direction. now 2 weeks of practice for club champs. which is then followed by a trip to Celtic Manor straight after which should be awesome.

• 1 month later...

Club champs didn't go my way, played well in tough conditions but lost by 3 to a good mate of mine, had 11 putts that lipped or burnt the edge over the 2 rounds, they were good putts but just one of those weekends when they just don't drop. it goes like that sometimes though! gotta dust yourself off and keep working at it.

It did make me realise playing in stronger winds how although I love hitting a little fade again, which I will continue to hit with driver, to take my game to the next level I need to be able to hit it both ways. Im not talking a kaymer overhaul here, im talking about keeping my fade biased swing but implementing into my practice working out how to hit a draw without changing too much. for instance a 200 yard par 3 slightly into but hard off the left, hit 4 iron and aimed left of the left greenside bunker and it still missed right.

Will try and get some vid up in the next couple of weeks. Had a lesson and talked through the above with him and he agreed. Been working hard on posture and removing the wristyness from my takeaway which gets the club inside and behind me and seem to be making good progress, he didn't want to change something that major just before club champs, certainly easier to control the ball from a more neutral position.

this has seemed to work well in the couple of weeks since club champs, hit mostly fades last night but did hit a couple of draws to hold it up into the wind and an absolute beauty of a 2 iron into a par 5 from 215 into the wind to a back left pin, a little draw off the left. Now just need to go play some comps.

All the best everyone, play well.

I've also just picked up off ebay a 24* callaway x utility prototype which im going to test in replacing my 4 iron with. I LOVE my 2 iron (18*), and don't have any problems hitting a 4 iron but have found recently on long par 4s and par 5s when the ball is just in the rough and not in a great lie I end up having to hit much more loft, the 18* will get through the grass but then has very low dynamic loft at impact and basically hits the ball into the grass infront of it and it doesn't come out right, 4 iron just doesn't get the strike. Initial thoughts of the club are it flies a bit higher, which is always a good thing as long as it doesn't balloon), and is so much better out of that kind of lie.

going in the bag this weekend for a couple of matches, the only thing is I need to work out the distance of it and work on taking a little off it. Great clubs couldn't recommend them more.

Some video from yesterday, swing to my eyes is better than its ever looked and my ball striking is getting that way too, right hip is nice and deep and hardly any EE now without really working directly on it. still need to get more into my left heel and rotate on the downswing, and need to keep working on hinging my wrists later in the backswing, had been getting REALLY wristy starting back, almost to the point I had 90* wrist c0ck by the time the arms were at 8 on a clock face. so trying to feel, although I detest this term, more "one-piece".

[media=]http://youtu.be/ZOZgaDTDuEw[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/Lyt4iyjEfyo[/media]

[attachment=2349007:Screenshot_2014-07-29-21-09-21.png]

[attachment=2349009:Screenshot_2014-07-29-19-28-14.png]

[quote name='DuncanM' timestamp='1406885828' post='9830787']
Just caught up with this thread.

The swing looks great, and the results seem to be going very much in the right direction :)

Thanks for keeping us updated.
[/quote]
Thanks for reading and commenting! and thanks for the kind words, my game definitely feels like its going the right way and has come down from 2.8 to 1.8 in a year, I have a couple of comps in the next few weeks so hoping to shoot a couple of good rounds and get down to 1.

I need to try and play in more comps next year, with working every other sat and lots of matches for the club I don't then get many free weekend days to play comps annoyingly.

the swing to me looks better than it ever has and appears like im making much more room for my arms and the club on the downswing and followthrough. the ball flight is also better.

my short game touch has come back after some good solid practice on it this week after a bit of neglection, so I feel like im ready to go out and shoot in the 60s in the comp next week :)

• 2 weeks later...

shot level par at the weekend so down to 1.6, got a medal this Saturday so hoping for a good round to get down to 1, the greens get treated next week so will be a while before i play in another comp.

been working this week on the drills from my lesson, and have found the feeling i had when i shot 66 again, it wasnt so much turning left hard with the hands going around and not doing anything, but THE HANDS STAYING INFRONT OF THE BODY WHILST IT TURNS HARD LEFT.

excited and looking forward to the round, wanted to post the movement above on here so i can look back and not forget it even if the feel changes week to week I know what I need to do.

• 1 month later...

Well with the last comp of the year off the back tee's I shot a 73 in howling winds to get me down to 1.4 to finish the season off, which means ive achieved my goal of being off 1 by the end of the year! it was an up and down round to say the least.

[attachment=2452167:7birdies.jpg]

an interesting start of birdie (here we go will be down to 1 after today), double, double (oh sh*t), birdie, birdie, birdie.

level par through 6 and not a par in site. unfortunately lipped out for 4 in a row on 7.

bogeyed 13,15,16 (all super tough holes at my course especially with the wind), so was 2 over with 2 to play knowing I had to birdie a hole coming in. birdied 17 then lipped out on 18! 7 birdies in total

ive come down from 2.0 to 1.4 this season (UK hcap system), so the goal for next year is to get down to 0. something, also to play in many more competitions as I hardly played in any this year. im hitting my irons better than ever at the minute and finally getting my mojo back putting, need to work on the driver and 3 wood as they aren't great (by the standard of my iron play) think this is down to the swing getting long.

really happy with how my games going, need to keep working on my weaknesses through the off season and be even stronger for next year! will post video when I take some.

I also stumbled upon a problem I had with flaring my front foot at address, my alignment was a little off as getting the front of my feet aligned meant my lower body was actually a little closed. I also then realised with my front foot flared at the very end of my backswing as I finished my turn I would be standing up and left knee going out towards the flared toe, resulting in me losing my tush line and not getting my weight in my right heel enough.

square that toe up and voila, lovely turn in the backswing. I want to make a video on this when I get the chance so I can post it as it may help others as its something ive never heard of or seen talked about before.

• 1 month later...

Am hitting the ball real solid at the minute and have been for a while. Had a lesson just to check on things and to see if anything major needs changing over the winter months. Working on a more in sync turn on the backswing has helped get my plane much better. Need to smooth out the transition slightly where it LOOKS a little mechanical and snatchy at times from the top, which comes from doing lots of a drill where I swing to the top, pause, then get the weight going into the left heel.

Also trying to feel a little more around on the downswing, my path was only about 0.5 - 1 degree out to in and if I can get it nearer 2 degrees it gives me more margin for error with the clubface and it cutting back gently. Really happy with the swing and I sorted out a short game setup issue I had too.

[url="http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/WKXEMcop?e=1260865"]http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/WKXEMcop?e=1260865[/url]#

[url="http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/5V5FOhOF?e=1260972"]http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/5V5FOhOF?e=1260972[/url]

• 1 month later...

Posting this here as more of a diary post but also hope it will help others who read it who suffer from the same problem

THE WRISTS DONT HINGE AND THE ARMS DONT MOVE LATERALLY!!!!

when this happens I get disconnected my arms get behind me and the face gets closed. from there direction and strike both suffer.

the arms and wrists go up! this video is gold

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JES-8I-VAk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JES-8I-VAk[/url]

[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1421944195' post='10797517']
sounds like you have had an excellent season Dave! always annoying when you hit a bit of form and the comps stop. where do u play?

Neil
[/quote]
Thanks, yeah was a bit annoying hopefully can start this season where I left off although that seems a life time away with the weather at the minute.

I play at Hever Castle Golf Club in Kent. How about yourself?

[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1421996207' post='10802183']
Was it Hever golf club that used to own race horses? Hever golf rose was one of the top of my head. I'm at Glen Gorse in Leicester
Neil
[/quote]
Absolutely no idea I'm afraid, quite possible though because it's owned by Lord Astor who also owns the castle so he does have a few quid!

[quote name='scratch72 ' timestamp='1421981240' post='10801187']
Dave, Do you feel like it's a forearm rotation all the way to the top or is there a vertical hinge somewhere in the back swing?
[/quote]
To me it feels like it's just a vertical movement and hinge up of the arms and wrists. Exactly like in the video. Which is the movement I also practice. There is a rotation in there but it FEELS to me just vertical. Just from years of being lateral.

[quote name='scratch72 ' timestamp='1422022040' post='10802939']
Thanks Dave , that helps.
[/quote]
No worries, glad I could help, will try and post a video of the differences if I can get to the range tomorrow

• 1 month later...

Backswing getting better working on left shoulder down a bit more (steeper) and make sure I cook my wrists completely as was only getting a 70* c0ck or so.

Downswing have had a real light bulb moment and some progress immediately visible on video, a problem in my downswing I have fought for years is early extension and lack of hip turn and thus a bit of a flip, no matter how much I tried to turn more going through I struggled. The key is my right side (upper body) needs to work down and out more. My problem is my right hip is too high on the downswing. A light bulb for me a while back was in the backswing that forward bend gets replaced by left side bend. It never occurred to me that on the downswing the left side bend needs to be replaced by right side bend.

I've never had so much extension through the ball and the body not backing up as much.

http://youtu.be/G0hzAcpe1Ss

http://youtu.be/iUa8R3pjNvo

These are 3/4 swings working on ingraining the move.

[attachment=2643787:PhotoGrid_1425306839838.jpg]

booked in on an aimpoint express levels 1 & 2 course next Friday (13th), cant wait!

[quote name='xxjonesyxx' timestamp='1425570726' post='11082707']
The aim point express sounds interesting Dave. Whereabouts are you going for it? I didn't know they had courses in the UK now.

Neil
[/quote]
yeah there is only 2 qualified guys I believe, one is Jamie Donaldson (not THAT Jamie Donaldson) who does clinics at various courses around the uk, the other is a guy called James Skelton who does it at Wrotham Heath Golf Club which is really close to me in Kent.

Have a look here [url="http://www.aimpointgolf.com/clinics.asp"]http://www.aimpointgolf.com/clinics.asp[/url] to see if there are any near you, scroll slowly as there aren't many GB ones!

£99 for the level 1 and level 2 - aimpoint express courses. which doesn't seem bad for 2.5 hours instruction. really excited about it, will report back once ive done it.

Ah that's not far for you at all. Will post about it after next week.

Just finished my aim point express class. All I can say is wow. It's super easy to learn and super easy to use. I was draining mid length putts like I never have before. And so confident on short putts. Thoroughly recommend it