GPS Golf Guru - Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the response Gozz. I'm not in a real big hurry, so I may give them some time to respond before calling.

I'm having two issues when attempting to 'pre-map' a course. Has anyone else experienced either of these issues?

1. If I try to add a target with no distance applied (for example Right Bunker, but a '?' in the distance field) the unit powers off when I hit save. I was hoping to set up targets before going to the course and then marking the locations while playing. Unfortunately the unit powers off when trying to save the targets.

2. Whenever I save a course, the name gets duplicated. (for example typing "Grapevine - Mockingbird" saves as "GrapevineMockingbirdGrapevine - Mockingbird.gcd")

Hopefully there will be a good workaround and/or software update to resolve these issues.

Since the software update to be able to edit downloaded courses is still not available, I mapped my home course from scratch because the greens have been updated since the latest satellite photos one can get from Google Earth, etc. I did not think to try an "pre-map" the course so I can't definitively answer your question in that regard. Perhaps if you "mark" one of the fields, either to or clear, even though you will later have to edit them, then save, it would not power off. Might be worth a try until you hear back.

I mapped the front and back nines at different times and have edited out some of the targets I originally input, saving the course each time and not experiencing your course name duplication problem. Have you logged onto the site using the utility to download any software updates?

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got off the phone with them (great conversation, and apologetic for not yet answering email). They've had a couple of calls now with the issues that I've had and the cause seems to be either the space or the hyphen in the name. They're doing some internal tests to isolate the issue and I'll be doing the same. I created a 'test' course with a short name and don't seem to be experiencing the issues thus far.

thanks for the replies!!

Just a quick review of the Golf Guru after taking it out on the course for the first time. Short and sweet...I Love It!

I had been playing around with the unit for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to play nice on the weekend here in Colo. I had loaded my courses but as I was playing around with it, I noticed that the course I was going to play did not have targets mapped. I sent a course request to Customer Support to have the targets mapped and the next day it was done! As everybody who has used the Golf Guru will attest to, fantastic customer support!!

At the course the unit took about a minute to pick up the satellites. I bought a belt clip and hooked it to the end of my umbrella so it just hung within arm's reach. I thought the buttons on top might cause some problems since I had used the SG2 before and was used to having them below but no problems. I actually preferred the setup on the Guru. Made it easy to use with one hand, especially when changing the pin locations as I was walking down the fairway. I also had scoring turned on. Very intuitive and easy to operate. I haven't uploaded the info yet but I will give that a try tonight. I only used the Mark feature on a few holes but that was nice. I noticed a few times with the SG2 that I would mark a shot but by the time I got up to the ball to mark again, the initial mark would be gone and it would act like I wanted to mark from the landing location. Not sure if it had an automatic timeout but no such problems with the Guru.

I honestly cannot think of one bad thing that the Guru did. Yardage was very accurate. Plenty of target information. Easy to read screen. I am looking forward to the software update though. Should really make this exceptional. Thanks to all who posted up reviews before that swayed me into buying this!! :russian_roulette:

Just a quick review of the Golf Guru after taking it out on the course for the first time. Short and sweet...I Love It!

I had been playing around with the unit for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to play nice on the weekend here in Colo. I had loaded my courses but as I was playing around with it, I noticed that the course I was going to play did not have targets mapped. I sent a course request to Customer Support to have the targets mapped and the next day it was done! As everybody who has used the Golf Guru will attest to, fantastic customer support!!

At the course the unit took about a minute to pick up the satellites. I bought a belt clip and hooked it to the end of my umbrella so it just hung within arm's reach. I thought the buttons on top might cause some problems since I had used the SG2 before and was used to having them below but no problems. I actually preferred the setup on the Guru. Made it easy to use with one hand, especially when changing the pin locations as I was walking down the fairway. I also had scoring turned on. Very intuitive and easy to operate. I haven't uploaded the info yet but I will give that a try tonight. I only used the Mark feature on a few holes but that was nice. I noticed a few times with the SG2 that I would mark a shot but by the time I got up to the ball to mark again, the initial mark would be gone and it would act like I wanted to mark from the landing location. Not sure if it had an automatic timeout but no such problems with the Guru.

I honestly cannot think of one bad thing that the Guru did. Yardage was very accurate. Plenty of target information. Easy to read screen. I am looking forward to the software update though. Should really make this exceptional. Thanks to all who posted up reviews before that swayed me into buying this!! :(

I can echo everything here for the most part. I have used it twice now as the weather has just recently broken here in Michigan also.

This thing is a joy to use. The buttons are easy to use. Navigating around is simple.

I keep it in my pocket and when I pull it out the satellite connection is always on.

I have tried a SkyCaddie in the past and most recently the first version of the GolfLogic. There is NO COMPARISON......the GolfGuru is rock solid.

I can not find one single thing not to like or complain about.

:russian_roulette:

I ordered my Golf Guru today and am looking forward to getting it out on the golf course. Many thanks to all of you who have posted information on this topic, it was great reading.

When "searching" for information on the Guru, I came across the below link. I haven't seen this link in other postings (if so I apologize for double posting), anyway this is a good article on Golf Handicapping andwhy Golf Guru was chosen over other GPS systems.

Ed

http://www.prweb.com/releases/gps/golf/prweb572181.htm

First, let me thank everyone for the very informative posts. However, I have not been so lucky in getting a course mapped in a timely manner. It's been 10 days and still waiting. My request number is #835. My neighbor who received his Guru yesterday sent in a course request with a number of #940. So it seems the course mapping section is backlogged. I'm not upset, but I want people to know what the situation is like right now.

I have courses in the 300-500 that have not been mapped yet, but every course that I told them that I needed by a certain date were mapped right away. When I bought the unit in Feb. I sent them 17 courses in my area that I play. All but 5 of them have been mapped (I mapped one of them myself so they will probably not mess with that one) and I will not need those till June. Let them know that it is a course that you need and they will get it up.

I ordered my Golf Guru today and am looking forward to getting it out on the golf course. Many thanks to all of you who have posted information on this topic, it was great reading.

When "searching" for information on the Guru, I came across the below link. I haven't seen this link in other postings (if so I apologize for double posting), anyway this is a good article on Golf Handicapping andwhy Golf Guru was chosen over other GPS systems.

Ed

Thanks for posting that ED, I had read that back in January, before I bought my unit, but couldn't remember where I had read it. Based on this article, as I understand it, the cost of the Guru membership (which is free until 2011) includes the membership to ISaACGolf stat tracking, but on the ISaACGolf website it appears you have to buy the premium membership extra. Not that it is too expensive, but I was wondering if I had missed something? Is anyone using ISaACGolf? If so can you comment on your experience?

I put in my first request for a mapping on Apr 19 and got #968 - its my home course and currently only has greens mapped. Their reply says 'usually 7 business days if scorecard, hole layout, aerial imagery exists'. I'm hoping I won't have to wait longer. I normally play with a guy who has a SG5 - I don't want to bring out the Golf Guru with only greens mapped when he has a bunch of targets. It will be nice when we can edit downloaded courses.

Ed

Thanks for posting that ED, I had read that back in January, before I bought my unit, but couldn't remember where I had read it. Based on this article, as I understand it, the cost of the Guru membership (which is free until 2011) includes the membership to ISaACGolf stat tracking, but on the ISaACGolf website it appears you have to buy the premium membership extra. Not that it is too expensive, but I was wondering if I had missed something? Is anyone using ISaACGolf? If so can you comment on your experience?

Hey all - there seems to be a misconception out there that membership is free until 2011. I confirmed with GolfGuru that there are no plans to ever charge a membership fee. Here is an excerpt from their email response to my question about membership fees (on the current website I cannot find any mention of membership fees starting in 2011 which was their original plan):

"We do not charge a membership fee, and have no plans to do so. The 2011

date

you came across is old information and, if still on our web site, needs

to

be removed. Thanks for your interest in the Golf Guru."

gents,

just bot a guru, almost solely based on comments posted here. Should arrive tomorrow, will report back after using it. I play almost exclusively at a private course, and I intend to map it myself, as we just went though an extensive renovation rendering most satellite imagery obsolete.

Even though I was able to download my home course, I did the same thing as a greens renovation project in the last two years is not reflected on satellite images and it was obvious from the shapes of the greens. It takes longer mapping a course with the Golf Guru than other GPS units as you MUST map the greens and to do so you must walk the perimeter of them. You can't just mark a front, back and/or center. So if you have large greens mapping them takes longer. I mapped nine holes at a crack and total time spent was between about 3 hours on a day the course was closed.

Just received a Golf Guru in the mail yesterday. I like the design of the unit but beware - I took off what I thought was the protective cover on the Golf Guru logo. Bad idea. Upon removing the thin sheet (it looks *just* like a protective film often found on electronic devices) the logo looked sticky. I scratched to get the gunk off and instead I got the whole design. Check out the pictures.

I wont be contacting the company for a replacement because I didn't get the thing to look pretty. Just need those distances.

I will be giving an unbiased review of this thing as soon as this crappy Michigan weather gets its act together.

Update: Opened up the mailbox the other day. What did I find?

Two replacement Golf Guru logos! I didn't even e-mail them, must have been looking at these boards.

How they linked my WRX account with my Guru Account....... hm. They have some good detectives.

How cool is that?!

I talked with Golf Guru "Jeff" the other day just to ask about the software update. Had been reading about the GG here for some time and pretty much decided to buy one from these postings and the conversation I had.

It should arrive Friday at the office and I'll have it out on Sunday to try out. Probably play a few courses and map one to get a feel for it.

Just want to thank everyone here for the input, ideas and endorsement of the product as I am not sure I would have chosen it without such. The "Big" manufacturers seem to spend more on marketing and commercial availability of their GPS products. Personally, I would rather work with a smaller, customer focused organization that offers a top quality experience and product.

Thanks again all...

** UPDATE **

Got the unit on Friday and went out today to "map" a little nine hole course. Played and mapped the first time around and played the second time around. VERY EASY and wonderful to have 2nd time through. Oh... shot a 38 too. Cooincidence? I think not!

Thanks all! I am really enjoying this GG and can't wait for a SW update... :wacko:

-Keith

Just got my Guru a few days ago.. Here are my first impressions

1) I like the fact that it can be charged off of any USB port.. My phone also charges off USB so I don't have to purchase additional chargers for my car, work, etc

2) Love the size of the unit.. I tried to find a blackberry case that fits (need one that I can hook to my golf bag for when I walk)

3) Speed of acquisition - My friend has a SkyCaddie and it takes forever to lock on to the sats. The Guru locks on quickly.

I went over to a course near me and checked a few yardages and they were spot on w/ what the course lasered... I have yet to play a round w/ the unit as Minnesota is just now coming out of winter.. Will be playing this weekend and give my impressions then. I submitted a request to Guru to add targets to a course that I play all the time..Sent it out today, lets see how long it takes..

i bought the golf guru 3 weeks ago. here's whats my opinion so far.

the courses i play at isn't in the database, i had to leave it at home on many golf outings.

i chose the golf guru over skycaddie based on reviews from golfwrx.

the courses i play at were not on their database. i emailed them a list. then when i inquired about it a week later, they said i had to put in a request for each course, so they can open a case file. (My mistake).

i requested 4 courses.

so i opened a case file for each golf course i wanted mapped. they use satelite imagery for mapping distances. which is fine. if for some reason the images are blurry or not clear, the course cannot be mapped, or if there is cloud cover, it cannot be mapped. (I looked at the satelite images myself via earth.google.com. thats what they use.

two of the courses cannot be mapped. because satelite images are blurry or have cloud cover and the greens and some holes cannot be seen.

the other 2 courses are clear. After 12 days i emailed to inquire, about one of the requested clear courses. i got an instant reply saying that it will be ready in a couple of days. Later on that afternoon, i got an email saying that course is mapped and is ready. Great! very good and responsive customer service.

that still leaves 1 more course i requested, thats ok, cause i don't play that course very often.

ok,

here's what i think while on the golf course.===================================

satelite signal was good and i always had yardages. but the distance is mostly to carry bunkers. most don't show how much to reach it. i need to know how much yardage to reach it, so i know which club to hit to not get into it.

it would show 205 to carry bunker. ok, if i'm in the fairway and the bunker looks long. how much yardage to reach it? so i would guess and hit short, sometimes 2 or 3 clubs shorter than i could have hit if i knew the distance.

i don't use this to keep score or stats. i just need yardages to each hazard, "to reach" yardages and "to clear" yardages is very important. The green feature is very good and useful.

the distance feature is very good also.

hit "mark" from the tee box and as you move, it gives you a running total. to your ball or your playing partner's ball or whatever. tells you exactly how far you hit your driver or irons.

a belt clip would have been a very useful feature. i know this fits in your pocket, but when i'm playing golf, i don't like to many things in my pocket.

i bought a swivel belt clip at the dollar store. which works great. once piece clips to your belt, and one piece i super glued to the back of the guru. slide it in the little groove and it "lock clicks" into place and it swivels.

(pictures available upon request)

easy to remove and place with one hand.

i find myself using the guru mostly for approach shots.

since it doesn't tell me the distance "to" hazards. i just avoid hitting in that direction or leaving it safely short.

my friend's skycaddie, tells him "to" and "clear" which i like.

I know i can map the courses myself. but like i said. when i have time. i want to be out there playing and not driving around the courses, i sometime drive from 30 minutes to over an hour to play golf and don't want to spend 3+ hours dodging people trying to mark targets.

I know they list 6000+ courses.

but the courses i play aren't on there (just my luck and my area i guess).

and cannot be mapped. because of bad satelite images.

for ex. our golf club is planning a golf tournament weekend out of town, in 3 months. i requested that course, but i was told it cannot be mapped because of bad satelite picture.

so the guru is useless there. and i checked the skycaddie site, all the courses i play and want to play are on there.

i'm challenging a scratch golfer that i can beat him, if i play the red tees and he play the tips.

the course we are playing is not in the database either, there is no satelite picture either. but its in skycaddies database.

and i will probably only play this course this one time and its an hour away. so its pointless for me to go map it just for this one event.

bottom line.

golf guru pros:

good satelite signal (even in the house) but i'm playing golf in the house anyways.

small and very lightweight

Very good customer service ( a big plus)

no membership fees

self mapping and green features. (even though i have not tried it.)

checking yardage with running total.

all the other stuff are pros also, stats, scores, etc. but its not for me.

========================================

golf guru cons

limited courses in database

and the courses that are mapped. i found mostly useful on approach shots.

we need a "to" and "clear" hazards. the premapped course shows mostly to "clear" hazards.

optional backlight would be useful, when a golf round gets kind of late.

======================================================================

these are just my honest personal opinions and obsevations.

i am now considering the skycaddie 2.5,

i hope i won't need customer service. (cause i heard it sucks)

i don't want to pay a membership fee, but every course i have looked up is already in there.

so i might have to just look at it like one green fee. which covers a year.

couple of bets here and there on the golf course easily covers this.

if i remember anything else. i'll edit this later.

i bought the golf guru 3 weeks ago. here's whats my opinion so far.

the courses i play at isn't in the database, i had to leave it at home on many golf outings.

i chose the golf guru over skycaddie based on reviews from golfwrx.

the courses i play at were not on their database. i emailed them a list. then when i inquired about it a week later, they said i had to put in a request for each course, so they can open a case file. (My mistake).

i requested 4 courses.

so i opened a case file for each golf course i wanted mapped. they use satelite imagery for mapping distances. which is fine. if for some reason the images are blurry or not clear, the course cannot be mapped, or if there is cloud cover, it cannot be mapped. (I looked at the satelite images myself via earth.google.com. thats what they use.

two of the courses cannot be mapped. because satelite images are blurry or have cloud cover and the greens and some holes cannot be seen.

the other 2 courses are clear. After 12 days i emailed to inquire, about one of the requested clear courses. i got an instant reply saying that it will be ready in a couple of days. Later on that afternoon, i got an email saying that course is mapped and is ready. Great! very good and responsive customer service.

that still leaves 1 more course i requested, thats ok, cause i don't play that course very often.

ok,

here's what i think while on the golf course.===================================

satelite signal was good and i always had yardages. but the distance is mostly to carry bunkers. most don't show how much to reach it. i need to know how much yardage to reach it, so i know which club to hit to not get into it.

it would show 205 to carry bunker. ok, if i'm in the fairway and the bunker looks long. how much yardage to reach it? so i would guess and hit short, sometimes 2 or 3 clubs shorter than i could have hit if i knew the distance.

i don't use this to keep score or stats. i just need yardages to each hazard, "to reach" yardages and "to clear" yardages is very important. The green feature is very good and useful.

the distance feature is very good also.

hit "mark" from the tee box and as you move, it gives you a running total. to your ball or your playing partner's ball or whatever. tells you exactly how far you hit your driver or irons.

a belt clip would have been a very useful feature. i know this fits in your pocket, but when i'm playing golf, i don't like to many things in my pocket.

i bought a swivel belt clip at the dollar store. which works great. once piece clips to your belt, and one piece i super glued to the back of the guru. slide it in the little groove and it "lock clicks" into place and it swivels.

(pictures available upon request)

easy to remove and place with one hand.

i find myself using the guru mostly for approach shots.

since it doesn't tell me the distance "to" hazards. i just avoid hitting in that direction or leaving it safely short.

my friend's skycaddie, tells him "to" and "clear" which i like.

I know i can map the courses myself. but like i said. when i have time. i want to be out there playing and not driving around the courses, i sometime drive from 30 minutes to over an hour to play golf and don't want to spend 3+ hours dodging people trying to mark targets.

I know they list 6000+ courses.

but the courses i play aren't on there (just my luck and my area i guess).

and cannot be mapped. because of bad satelite images.

for ex. our golf club is planning a golf tournament weekend out of town, in 3 months. i requested that course, but i was told it cannot be mapped because of bad satelite picture.

so the guru is useless there. and i checked the skycaddie site, all the courses i play and want to play are on there.

i'm challenging a scratch golfer that i can beat him, if i play the red tees and he play the tips.

the course we are playing is not in the database either, there is no satelite picture either. but its in skycaddies database.

and i will probably only play this course this one time and its an hour away. so its pointless for me to go map it just for this one event.

bottom line.

golf guru pros:

good satelite signal (even in the house) but i'm playing golf in the house anyways.

small and very lightweight

Very good customer service ( a big plus)

no membership fees

self mapping and green features. (even though i have not tried it.)

checking yardage with running total.

all the other stuff are pros also, stats, scores, etc. but its not for me.

========================================

golf guru cons

and the courses that are mapped. i found mostly useful on approach shots.

we need a "to" and "clear" hazards. the premapped course shows mostly to "clear" hazards.

optional backlight would be useful, when a golf round gets kind of late.

======================================================================

these are just my honest personal opinions and obsevations.

i am now considering the skycaddie 2.5,

i hope i won't need customer service. (cause i heard it sucks)

i don't want to pay a membership fee, but every course i have looked up is already in there.

so i might have to just look at it like one green fee. which covers a year.

couple of bets here and there on the golf course easily covers this.

if i remember anything else. i'll edit this later.

All the courses they mapped for me had "To" & "Clear", I'm surprised to hear that is not the case for your course. Send them a request asking for both. What course are you referring to so we can download it and look at it?

oak harbor golf in slidell louisiana

this is the only course i played that i used the golf guru.

other courses i play at are not in the database.

i just checked my golf guru. it does show some "to" reach.

but majority is to "clear" and it only gives one or the other.

not both to "reach" and to "clear" hazard yardages.

don't get me wrong. its a very nice product. but i need both "to" and "clear" yardages to make a confident decision if i want to lay up or carry hazards.

thats why i'm considering the skycaddie 2.5

its been only 3 weeks and i've only used it once on the course. i upgraged it with the swivel belt clip. I'm still undecided if i'm going to keep it, sell it or return it.

don't get me wrong. its a very nice product. but i need both "to" and "clear" yardages to make a confident decision if i want to lay up or carry hazards.

its been only 3 weeks and i've only used it once on the course. i upgraged it with the swivel belt clip. I'm still undecided if i'm going to keep it, sell it or return it.

I have to admit when I first saw your post I thought you were reading something wrong. After downloading your course and looking at it I can see what you are talking about, that is some pretty messed up mapping. Do you remember who sent you the email stating that the course is ready? John T. mapped all of my courses so far and has done an excellent job. Send them a request to remap your course with to and clear yardages. They read this thread often so it would not surprise me if they are not already on it.

I have to admit when I first saw your post I thought you were reading something wrong. After downloading your course and looking at it I can see what you are talking about, that is some pretty messed up mapping. Do you remember who sent you the email stating that the course is ready? John T. mapped all of my courses so far and has done an excellent job. Send them a request to remap your course with to and clear yardages. They read this thread often so it would not surprise me if they are not already on it.

this course was already mapped.

i didn't have to request it.

the course that i requested, i have not had a chance to go play it yet.

i didn't know if it was just this course mapping or all the courses are mapped like this.

I need better information from a hand held gps device. i just went to edwin watts and bought a sky caddie 2.5.

Sorry, I misunderstood that. That is probably one of the courses that Golf Guru purchased when they started the company. If you would of requested it they would of mapped to and carry.

i bought the guru with such high hopes after reading such good reviews. i told my friends i ordered a guru. and when i went to play golf, they asked me where is it? I told them this course isn't isn't their database yet, so i left it at home. all through the course, i kept asking him yardages from his sky caddie. :shok:

and getting ready to take it on the course that was already in their database, i was really excited. but the mapping wasn't what i expected. i kinda wished my playing partner had a sky caddie.

i don't know if this is a course they bought when they bought the company <---- (i don't know what that means)

are all the courses are mapped like this? when i'm competing or betting, i can't afford to "guess" which course is mapped correctly.

what do we do? do we ask John to remap 6000+ golf courses? :wacko:

he might need some coffee, cause its gonna be a long night.

:shok:

No, when they started the company they bought about 5000 courses that were pre-mapped so that they would already have a library. Some of these courses were well mapped some were not and some were just greens. When they map a course for you they will map all points "To" and "Clear." They are now going back on those courses that are not fully mapped and editing them to include all the points that you might want. If you contact them and ask them to remap your course for all points it will not take them that long especially if you tell them you need it by a certain date.

I will give my 2 cents...

First of all I am living in Thailand for a few years. I researched the heck out of all the GPS systems and based on research and now actual use I would say the Golf Guru is great for self-mapping and for signal.

I will give them credit for great customer service. They actually mapped a course near me that is really in the middle of nowhere. A small town in the center of the country. They always answered emails and questions. Unfortunately, the mapping was off. It seemed it thought every green was 25 yards further east. So the middle of the first round I started mapping. I didn't know if the problem was the map or the signal. Now I believe it to be the map, since the self-mapped one is very accurate. And again, I'm about as far away from anything as you can get. If the GPS is accurate here, it is accurate in the US no doubt.

So the good news is mapping is very easy and I just did it while playing with friends. No extra time, except you look silly walking around the greens. The bonus with self-map is you know exactly where your points are. The bad part is if you do not play the same course all the time, there is a good chance it is not mapped. The green-zense feature is really cool and the only one you can do by yourself.

In conclusion, I would recommend the Golf Guru for those who want to self map and something very accurate. If it has maps in your area, great. The screen is acceptable during the day. The scoring features are nice but I have not used them extensively yet.

Ping G25 9.5 - Diamana D+
Ping G20 3h - Tour TFC
Ping Rapture J 3-PW w/ Rombax 115i
Ping G25 SW - CFS X
Ping G25 LW - CFS X
Odyssey Black Series #9

I also submitted a coures request on the 23, my ID is 1048. I also askf or on yesterday and the ID is 1110. I would say there pretty busy based just on my spread of 62 requests. I have spoken with customer service on several occasions and all I can say is WOW. Super nice to talk to and polite to boot. All of my concerns were addressed and all had positive answers. Im happy with my Guru, yes we have to patient and wait for the true goodness to come out, but believe me it will. Afetr having tried the SG2 and The GolfLogix, the Guru has them beat hands down. These folks arent going anywhere soon and are working to get to the top of the list. IMHO they already are....