Wilson Zip vs 50/50?

Minarets

i have yet to try the Zip, but played the 50/50 the last two days and was impressed. i understand it was not the ball, but maybe some swing changes or just in the groove, but i hit the ball about 30 yards further today than i ever have consistantly. i played at a country club i normally play at and i hit the ball 8/10 in the same spots.....on about 10 of he holes i outdrove where i normally would have been by 20-30 yards. it was really crazy.

needless to say, i understand this wasnt all in the ball, but hey, i think i like it. :russian_roulette:

i have read nothing but good things about the zip...but what's its thing? whats so special? softer? checks better? drives longer?

which one is better?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very limited experiance with the Zip, played the 50 most of last year - still hard to find Zips in shops, but wallys is supposed to carry them soon.

My observations are that the Zip will spin more but you only notice it on full iron shots, it will work in the air more than the 50. I'd say they have the same length off the driver, same feel on putts and chips. Give the Zip an edge for stopping on approach shots a little better than the 50.

I have some TX4 Pros being shipped to me - now that is the sleeper ball of the year.

Played both. The Zip is a 3 piece ball vs the 50, a 2 piece. Both are very soft. I play the Zip in winter, say sub 45*, but not in warmer temps. The ball performs well, but it feels a little like a super ball on delicate shots. The cover on the Zip get banged up quickly, but it does not effect play.

I view these balls as something to consider in very cold temps, but not an all year ball. Very cheap--$22 per dozen. Walmart carries the Zip and the 50.

I haven't played the zip but I'm currently demo-ing 3 mid spin softer cover medium price balls - the Wilson 50, the Topflight D2 Feel, and the Noodle Plus.

I have to tell you the Wilson 50 is last of the 3 in my opinion, it goes about 10-15 yards SHORTER on my drives. My swing speed is average and I hit the ball between 235 and 260 total carry plus roll depending on conditions. I am putting the remainder of the 50's away until next winter.

The other thing about the 50's is that they are a distinct OFF-white color. Put them next to almost any other ball and even when new, they look dirty.

I haven't played the zip but I'm currently demo-ing 3 mid spin softer cover medium price balls - the Wilson 50, the Topflight D2 Feel, and the Noodle Plus.

I have to tell you the Wilson 50 is last of the 3 in my opinion, it goes about 10-15 yards SHORTER on my drives. My swing speed is average and I hit the ball between 235 and 260 total carry plus roll depending on conditions. I am putting the remainder of the 50's away until next winter.

The other thing about the 50's is that they are a distinct OFF-white color. Put them next to almost any other ball and even when new, they look dirty.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Noodle Plus. I can't seem to find any good info on it, and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Very limited experiance with the Zip, played the 50 most of last year - still hard to find Zips in shops, but wallys is supposed to carry them soon.

My observations are that the Zip will spin more but you only notice it on full iron shots, it will work in the air more than the 50. I'd say they have the same length off the driver, same feel on putts and chips. Give the Zip an edge for stopping on approach shots a little better than the 50.

I have some TX4 Pros being shipped to me - now that is the sleeper ball of the year.

Agree. The Tx4s are a steal at the price they are being sold for. 4 piece ball, urethane cover, little spin off the driver, good spin off the irons or wedges, it's been my ball of choice in 07 and will be in 08 as well. I have 4 dozens waiting to be played.

Driver : Srixon Z745 10.5* Stiff / Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 Stiff
3W : Callaway X2 Hot Tour Stiff
5W : Adams XTD-ti 15* Stiff
3Hi : Adams XTD-ti 20* Stiff
4Hi : Adams XTD-ti 23* Stiff
Irons : 4-7 Wilson Staff FG Tour V2, 8-PW Wilson Staff FG59
50* : Wilson Staff PMP
56* : Wilson Staff PMP
Putter : Wilson Staff 8802

Balls : Wilson Staff FG Tour / Srixon Q Star Yellow

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Noodle Plus. I can't seem to find any good info on it, and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

The noodle plus is my favorite of the three. It gets the best distance without question. Yet it is still mid spin with a fairly soft cover. There was a really good golf ball review in Golf Digest or Golf, I can't remember which, which showed some of the stats. After reading this article, I selected these three balls to demo.

i have yet to try the Zip, but played the 50/50 the last two days and was impressed. i understand it was not the ball, but maybe some swing changes or just in the groove, but i hit the ball about 30 yards further today than i ever have consistantly. i played at a country club i normally play at and i hit the ball 8/10 in the same spots.....on about 10 of he holes i outdrove where i normally would have been by 20-30 yards. it was really crazy.

needless to say, i understand this wasnt all in the ball, but hey, i think i like it. :wacko:

i have read nothing but good things about the zip...but what's its thing? whats so special? softer? checks better? drives longer?

which one is better?

The 50 was my ball last season. I was given a sample of the Zip and I prefer the 50, as the Zip didn't have much "zip" fwiw.

My ball this year is the TaylorMade Burner in the red box, a good ball. imo

Not too soft and a suprising amout of check for $20/doz. ymmv :shok:

The noodle plus is my favorite of the three. It gets the best distance without question. Yet it is still mid spin with a fairly soft cover. There was a really good golf ball review in Golf Digest or Golf, I can't remember which, which showed some of the stats. After reading this article, I selected these three balls to demo.

Based on the Golf Mag ball test results (link below), I tried a sleeve of the new Noodle+ and it is probably the longest ball that I've ever played! Golf Mag got this one right. For short-game "manners" and soft feel, however, I prefer the Wilson 50. As always, YMMV.

http://www.golf.com/golf/features/flash/ballguide3.html

I’ve only been playing for a about a year, and have never tried to seriously review a ball as I don’t have a complete game, but I’ll give it a shot.

Wilson mailed me samples of the Zips late November/early December, which was just the time to try a low compression ball. Our temps were in the mid to low 40s when I took them to my local par three to try them out.

My thoughts of them are spotty as my recollection is only that it was a good ball but not for me. I'll try to piece them together and compare them to some other popular balls to provide a common reference with the experience of others. Additionally at the time my swing was much worse than it is now, so bad mechanics that leaked power should be taken into account. Still I hit the ball solidly (applied the club face well with a bad weight shift and weak release).

The conditions were pretty rotten. It was wet and windy and the ground was muddy in spots and marshy in others. I ruined a pair of shoes that outing. In the days prior to my round we had rain, which turned to snow which melted as it hit the ground, which turned again to rain. It was cold enough the greens were firm in that it was hard to get a chip or pitch to hold, but slow in that the water made putting a trying exercise. In spite of all this, I think I got a pretty good feel for the ball.

The zip performed solidly off of irons; from the tee and off the fairway. It felt long to me and gave me a great deal of distance without much effort. However, with a normal swing I found it ballooned seriously. I typically don’t play the Nike PDSoft because it balloons too much on me, but the effect with the Zips was even more severe. Normally good two piece ball for me has a compression of 70 or 80 like a Nike Mojo or Titelist HVC Tour SF, or Maxfli Red Max. With the zip, shots I felt I did not put too much on towered in giant parabolas, which was kind of gratifying, much like hitting a easy forgiving hybrid for the first time, but took its toll into and around the wind.

As for feel, on the full swing with an iron, it felt like shooting a marshmallow out of an airgun. I could tell contact had been made with the club, but it was extremely mushy. I never thought a ball could feel too soft, but this is one soft feel that did not appeal to me. The ideal for soft feel for me is a Nike Platinum, Slazenger Black Label, or ProV1 With the zip, even off the putter it was a like hitting a ball of cotton. Strangely it felt tacky too, like a Loco but that might have been the temperature. My wedge play is still evolving so I can not provide a strong evaluation off of wedges, but it did seem to sit down on a green readily. It ran a bit afterwards, but I attribute that to the temperature.

Since there was no one around, I played two balls for a few holes, I used a Nike PD soft. A ball I find entertaining, but don’t usually play because it’s too mushy on full shots for me. Distance wise it was longer than the zip and was better against the wind. Off the putter, I’ve always liked this ball as it feels like a pleasant pretender to the platinum. On wedges it tended to run longer than the zip, in places where I can usually get it to bite during the summer.

I carried the Zips in bag a few rounds after my only experience with them, but never put them into play again. I liked the zips but decided they were not for me. After a while, I gave them to a friend to give to his 70 year old father who no longer gets the distance he wants, but won’t switch to A flex out of pride. Don’t read that the wrong way, these a good balls, but not for me.

The D2 Feel and Noodle Plus are supposedly two of the best midpriced balls around. The Feel is supposedly the best of the D2 line.

Based on the Golf Mag ball test results (link below), I tried a sleeve of the new Noodle+ and it is probably the longest ball that I've ever played! Golf Mag got this one right. For short-game "manners" and soft feel, however, I prefer the Wilson 50. As always, YMMV.

Thanks for posting the link. I just bought some Pinnacle Exception's because I heard they were very good and made in the Achushnet factory with the Titleists. Someone said the ball is being discontinued because it was too much like the more expensive Titleist. Anyone here play that ball? I have not had a chance to play a round with them.

Precept Laddie looked good but after I go through my 24 pack Exceptions it is the Noodle +.

Thanks for posting the link. I just bought some Pinnacle Exception's because I heard they were very good and made in the Achushnet factory with the Titleists. Someone said the ball is being discontinued because it was too much like the more expensive Titleist. Anyone here play that ball? I have not had a chance to play a round with them.

Precept Laddie looked good but after I go through my 24 pack Exceptions it is the Noodle +.

I used to play the Precept Laddie and they have excellent distance and go very straight. But they have one of the very hardest covers of all the balls you could possibly buy and therefore are not very good for the short game at all.

I used to play the Precept Laddie and they have excellent distance and go very straight. But they have one of the very hardest covers of all the balls you could possibly buy and therefore are not very good for the short game at all.

Thanks. I wonder if the Laddie is impervious to damage by wedges. The posters had a thread about how the "mack daddy" grooves on I think the Cally wedges and other wedges tear up golf balls. :wacko:

Thanks. I wonder if the Laddie is impervious to damage by wedges. The posters had a thread about how the "mack daddy" grooves on I think the Cally wedges and other wedges tear up golf balls. :wacko:

It probably is, but using a wedge with very aggressive grooves to hit a very hard cover low spin ball, is putting opposites together. It would make no sense. Better off to use decent wedges with medium to high spin balls with a softer yet still durable cover, imho.

I played with a Zip ball last night. I though, especially at that price point, that it was a nice ball. Distance was rediculous. I don't know what was going on, but the balls seemed to go longer and higher on all shots. I consistantly hit a gap wedge (50*) 105y. I was hitting these balls consistantly about 115y with the same wedge. I was very long off the driver with them. They even felt nice off the putter. They didn't check up on chips and pitches all that well, but probably about as good as mid-range balls.

The only problem was that they did seem to go a little higher, which might have accounted for their longer distance, but also got them above the tree line and cought up in the wind a few times. It make the difference between hitting my second shot from the fairway or the rough (I did luc out with my lie in the rough a couple times though :wacko: ). For the price, I think they're a great ball.

My favorite ball is still the Callaway Tour IX, but I'll probably game these Zip balls when the ground is soft. Distance was great with them.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Played the 50 in cold temps last 3 rounds (under 50 deg.temps). Played for the 1st time in warm weather (68*) today. Just killed it, drives were long for me. Played off the irons very well, good feel. I'm not a spinner of the ball, so I can't comment on it. But shots to the green checked up within a couple yards or less for mid irons.

Ball putts very well. Good all around ball for a 90 - 95 mph driver swing speed like me.

I just got some zips today and will give them a try this weekend. I will play either of these for the year, can't believe I saw the 50's on sale for 12.99 somewhere, what a great ball for the price.

Oh, BTW, the 50 is an excellent cold weather ball too.

Not changing my username but
had a hole in 1!

• 2 weeks later...

Played 36 holes with the ZIP this week. I really like the feel and flight of the ball, however it will not check on the short shots, full shots it stops enough, but ionomer is not urethane know matter what - end of story (unless the center is liquid or wound).

One thing was odd this week with the ZIP: the durability seems to be temperature sensitive. When I played in the 45-50F temps the ball scuffed on wedge shots, whereas today at 65-70F I found very little scuffing - very durable.

Another point of observation is the chips and pitches with the ZIP are more controlable than the 50, the 50 would jump or bounce off the face on touch shots sometimes. the ZIP does not.

I'm getting to really like the feel of the 50 and ZIP and will use them for most rounds this year, but they make all other balls feel hard to me - even the NOP an B330S. Come on Wilson throw some urethane on the ZIP.

rxed 2 2packs of the zips and played one. shallow dimples, soft a pillow, i liked it for putting but that is about it.

would use them in the winter. never used the 50/50

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]