Nick Faldo's Equipment

Shah G

A man after my own heart Nick Faldo is a phenominal talent.

To start at 13 years old an d be playing Ryder Cup golf at the age of 17?

Michelle Wie is a wonderful golfer and Tiger Woods a marvel but these two are country club kids in comparison and have years of head start too.

For a long while he was called mechanical but he's just meticulous and careful, he was also a nerveless putter too. :wacko:

63Brummie.

I always wondered about those 'mechanical' labels that he got post-Leadbetter.

I always thought he was anything but mechanical in the way he swung the club. The thing that really stood out about his swing was the perfect rhythm and tempo that it had. It was always a very 'flowing' motion. He may have had a very technical approach to swinging the club, but it never manifested itself in a robotic or contrived motion. That smooth rhythm, always hitting within himself was, I think, one of the keys to his great ballstriking.

His course management and strategy may have been a bit robotic (very cerebral and with an emphasis on playing the percentages) but his remodelled swing was just about the best out there in my opinion, and in his prime he was one of the best ballstrikers, in terms of control and consistency of flight, that I've ever seen.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Cracking grinds on those TP wedges in that bag shot from '96. Fascinating. I know that Faldo always preferred very little bounce on his wedges, which I always found intriguing as I have a lot on my sand wedge and have always preferred it that way. One thing Faldo never gets credit for is the quality of his bunker play. He was right up amongst the very best sand players of all time in my opinion, but he never really gets a mention as a great sand player.

I've got a programme, somewhere, from a European Tour event in mid/late 1987 - the Lawrence Batley at Royal Birkdale - and Faldo (from memory) is listed as something like 81% for bunker saves. It would have been well into the season in, I think, August, so it's not an early season, off-to-a-flier anomaly of a statistic.

Sandy Lyle is, not surprisingly, right up there in the top three or four for Driving Distance, too. At 267 yards... :wacko:

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

I was talking to him earlier in the year before he was taken on-board with TM. He thought the MP-60's he had were the best irons he's ever played, he was looking at some of the old blades he used in the late 80's early 90's and couldn't believe how small the heads were.

One of the only times he was never sponsored or paid by a manufacturer he chose the following clubs...

Driver: Taylormade R5 TP

Irons: Mizuno MP60

Wedges: Ping MB and Mizuno MP

3 wood and Putter chopped and changed, but he said the best putter he had was the TPA XVIII

Faldo is the reason I love golf, my sporting idol, I'm lucky I get to work with him a few times a year. Many like him, many hate him, but one thing you can't deny is he was the best player in the world for 5 years. 6 majors, the best Ryder Cup record of any player on either side and had the abilty to hit the right shot when it counted. I bet 80% of the tour pro's now days couldn't hit the shots he hit with those clubs (persimmon drivers, tiny butter knife long irons)

I always hated him, out of pure respect, because he was the villian for across the pond. I can totally understand why the Euros loved him. Looking back he was the best player in the world between the Tom Watson, maybe Seve, and then Tiger eras. If he could have won a US Open his status would be even more ledgendary. Greatest Ryder Cupper ever IMO. I was always a Seve fan though....his sytle totally mesmorized me, I wish I could have seen him play in person. A guy I know from South Africa watched him play several times at Sun City and his stories are great to listen to.

Mat your knowledge of clubs in Euros players bags never ceasses to amaze me, I think you know what Faldo had in his bag better than Faldo did.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Very surprised more of you are not upset or have negative comments in relation to Nick Faldo now being sponsored by TaylorMade-adidas Golf. I'm sure all of you have seen the following announcement, but just in case:

Nick Faldo Joins TaylorMade-adidas Golf

Six-Time Major Championship Winner and Current European Ryder Cup Captain, also known as a Talented Course Designer and Television Analyst, Will Contribute to the Company in a Variety of Ways

CARLSBAD, Calif. (February 21, 2008) – World golf icon Nick Faldo has entered a long-term relationship with the TaylorMade-adidas Golf Company (TMaG) in a role that touches on marketing, product innovation and creation, product testing, player evaluation and more.

"Nick Faldo is one of the game's true champions, and we're excited to add such an amazing asset to the TaylorMade-adidas Golf family," said Mark King, TMaG president and CEO. "Nick's knowledge of the game, his passion, winning attitude and connection to the best players in the world will help our business continue to flourish."

As a TMaG team member Faldo will contribute in a variety of ways. In addition to playing TaylorMade® clubs and balls and wearing adidas Golf apparel and footwear, he will be involved in the design and testing of TMaG products. He will also act as a sounding board on marketing and advertising campaigns, help evaluate the talent of up-and-coming players, contribute content to TMaG's consumer websites, and collaborate in the upcoming redesign of the golf range at TMaG headquarters in Carlsbad, Calif.

"I've always been impressed with TaylorMade-adidas Golf and I'm proud to join a team that's at the top of the industry. I've seen first hand that their technology and design is second-to-none," said Faldo. "I've been a student of the game for 35 years and I can't wait to start working with the leadership team, product team and Tour Staff players."

Known during his competitive playing days for his focus and precise all-around game, Faldo won 43 times on tour worldwide and captured the European Tour's Order of Merit twice. He dominated professional golf from 1987 until 1998, an era in which he won the Open Championship three times and the Masters Championship three times. He was a member of 11 European Ryder Cup teams from 1977 until 1997, which included the stretch from '85 to '97 when Europe won the matches four times and retained the Cup once with a tie. One of the greatest competitors in Ryder Cup history, Faldo is the all-time leader in matches played, matches won and points won. He will captain the European team in September at Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Ky., site of this year's competition.

In addition to his playing achievements, Faldo has become recognized as a talented golf course architect with 23 completed designs to his credit and 18 under construction, located at all four corners of the globe. He also serves as lead analyst for CBS Sports' golf coverage, sharing the 18th tower with noted anchor Jim Nantz, and the lead analyst on PGA Tour events televised on the Golf Channel.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

It's Ryder Cup year and he's Captain..... there's loads of $$$$$ in it for the companies and captains.... Mizuno can't afford a tenth of the money TM will throw at him to play their clubs for a year and sing the company praises during his TV commentry.... I have to say fair play to him... The sponsorship money around these days is millions more than was around 15 years ago when Faldo was at his prime.

Faldo is one of my long time favoriate players. I met him at the 94' phx open in Scottsdale. sat about 6 ft behind and watched him hit ball after ball on the range for about an hour. he had the most amazing penetrating iron shot till this day, and i've see some of the greatest players of today including Tiger. He didn't look very muscular on tv, but he had the biggest popeye forearms I've ever seen, and mine is not too shabby either. He is probably the most down to earth straight up no BS player you will probably ever/never meet. I'm very happy for nick and his move to TM, he looks good in the the 3 stripe outfit.

Well said. I also watched him on the practice ground for long spells and he was a better ball striker than many realise (not as good as Lyle, seeing him nail a "butter knife" Mizuno 1 iron woud make your eyes water). Faldo's irons had a very pearcing trajectory with little spin in his mid irons. I can gaurantee that most of the tour guys today could not play the equipment from that era successfully

Matt,

Nick Faldo was one of the first players to really worry about matched shafts.There was story that he turned up at a certain factory with 100 shafts in each length of his favourite X100's to get them frequency matched.

I believe he left with 3-4 sets and the rest were just left there.

But for him,one less piece of the puzzle to worry about.

Sandy Lyle was and still is I hope one of the most natural ball strikers ever.

I saw him in a Pro am up in Aberdeen and not only was he back in 30 he hit a couple of shots that were just unbeliveable..He was using A Ping Eye 2 1 iron at that time.

Afterwards he just hung out in the putting green and available to speak with anyone.

villa, Anthony Wall was bagging Zing 2s (in an Adams bag) when he first went out on tour. And 588 RTG wedges if I remember rightly. I can see Faldo's point, but I know a man who did reasonably well with some Zing 2s for a few years. :wacko:

who did well with some ping zing 2's in his bag?

I believe that would be Lee Westwood. Was Europes number 1 for a few years in a row, and used them to rack up some serious cash.

Croonie

Very true. Apart from a set of S58's for a few weeks, this is the first time Lee's been without those Zing 2's for a while. He's started playing some great golf with the i10's, fingers crossed for some more wins. If only he could putt!

Faldo was always a purist and he came from a time when iron play won tournaments. He used to practice hitting shots which he called a 1 inch fade and a 1 inch draw. You'd never see the ball turn in the air but he could hold it against the wind and it would spin right or left respectively when it hit the green.

Well said. I also watched him on the practice ground for long spells and he was a better ball striker than many realise (not as good as Lyle, seeing him nail a "butter knife" Mizuno 1 iron woud make your eyes water). Faldo's irons had a very pearcing trajectory with little spin in his mid irons. I can gaurantee that most of the tour guys today could not play the equipment from that era successfully

We often forget because of his demise that Sandy Lyle was widely regarded as the best ballstriker of his generation. It's a hell of a compliment when you start to remember some of the names from that era.

Faldo's Masters was only 12 years ago (Tiger won it the following year!). Hard to believe how much equipment has changed since then.

Villa

Westy actually did play some i3's for a while. He actually won at Cran-sur-Sierre playing the first couple of rounds with i3s (badly) and then with some 'rapidly-flown-halfway-across-Europe' Zing 2s for the last two rounds that were hurriedly retrieved from a pantry near Worksop after a 'phone call home...

He did also bag some S59 Tours for a while too - albeit they also bit the dust after a bit of tournament play. I'm surprised he's stuck with the i10s for the best part of a season now.

Going back to Sandy Lyle's 1 iron (a favorite subject of mine) he actually played several in his time - mostly Ping. He had an old Karsten III that he played in the mid/late 80s with a matching 2-iron until he chopped in the deuce for a Mizuno TP-9. He won the US Masters with a steel-headed, green dot Ping Eye 2 that he apparently donated to Augusta's bar afterwards, and subsequently played the rest of the '88 season (including his World Matchplay win) with a beryllium one. A fine 1 iron if I may say so. :wacko:

Faldo's control with the irons was incredible to watch. I remember watching him at Wentworth one year hitting 3 irons on the range. He hit about 30 balls with little cuts and draws that landed one after the other in a circle about 10 yards in diameter. Incredible.

Lyle was the greatest exponent of the 1 iron I've ever seen. I never saw Hogan or Snead, or Nicklaus in his prime, but if they were better with it than Sandy, then I wish I could have seen them. The towering flight he was able to get with what most people consider to be a terribly unfriendly club was truly awesome to see. Even next to other accomplished strikers in the pro game, his long iron play was in another class entirely.

Villa

Westy actually did play some i3's for a while. He actually won at Cran-sur-Sierre playing the first couple of rounds with i3s (badly) and then with some 'rapidly-flown-halfway-across-Europe' Zing 2s for the last two rounds that were hurriedly retrieved from a pantry near Worksop after a 'phone call home...

Lyle was the greatest exponent of the 1 iron I've ever seen. I never saw Hogan or Snead, but if they were better with it than Sandy, then I wish I could have seen them.

Yes, I remember watching that tournament now. Interesting as well that he's now switched to Rifle flighted shafts (along with his mate Darren). He used Ping Cushin shafts for about 10 years. He's striking it better than i've seen for a while though.

Couldn't agree more with Lyle and the 1 iron. I saw Olazabal nailing a tiny Macgregor VIP blade 1 iron to win the B&H at the Belfry in 2000 and Nicklaus has had his successes with one but Lyle struck it better than i've ever seen.

Nick's had his moments when it comes to endorsement deals. He left Adams early on and his Nike contract was cut short as well. I believe he signed a deal with Bally to wear their clothes and shoes which obviously wasn't in Nike's best interests. He also had a shoe deal with Dexter or Stuburt (or someone like that) in the mid-nineties and then turned up to play a tournament in a pair of black Footjoy Classics thinking he would get away with it.

There's obviously a lot of money to be had with this Taylor Made deal but his history isn't great. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

I was surprised when I saw something other than the old faithful shaft in those i10s recently. But then again, I'm still amazed that the Zing 2s haven't made a glorious return to play.

Those Stylo Matchmakers were a bit of an eyecatcher in their time. I think he signed with them for the '89 season (he certainly had a snowy white pair on his feet when he leapt into that bunker at Wentworth that year when he won the PGA in a horrendous red and blue Pringle ensemble.

If I remember rightly, he wore them for a couple or three years until that Footjoy Classics incident you pointed out. I think he then signed with Florsheim and wore their shoes for a time including that last Masters win.

Speaking of dodgy Pringle clothing, I found this little beauty in the wardrobe. Unfortunately (or maybe not) there's no sign of my Geometric George jumper or the Masters-winning 'Christmas Tree' jumper I also wore back in the day... I've also found a pair of still-wearable Adidas Langer shoes (with that funny 'Torsion' sole in the garage too...

No worries mate ! Brings back some memories of all the other companies that he was contracted to, Pringle, Audemars Piguet, BIC and I guess Bridgestone due to the Rextar and Precept Golf Ball.

Yes mate, his contract was with Bridgestone (Fanny used to wear a Bridgestone visor).

He's had loads of watch sponsors over the years as well. Breitling, Omega etc etc. It's a shame Pringle isn't as big as it used to be as well. There've been some dodgy sweaters over the years but the stuff they make now is great. Maybe they don't have the money for tour endorsment? (or they don't need it?).

Monty used to wear it in the mid-nineties until he went with Lacoste. I believe Symon Dyson or someone like that was wearing it when he first came on tour as well. Having said that, you don't see any Lyle and Scott anymore on tour either. Man, I'm getting sentimental.

Fantastic thread and history lesson guys, cheers! Faldo's ball striking always amazed me... I haven't seen mention of it, but he had one shot on the back 9 during the 96 Masters, perhaps a 2 iron of a bit of a hanging lie from 230 to fly some water - one of the most clutch shots I can recall from back in the day.

Another great ballstriker of that era was Fuzzy... I remember watching him and Daly at the TPC some years back, and the crack of the ball off of his irons and the resulting shots were phenominal. This was before he parted ways with Kmart, so he had his own brand of irons in the bag.

Back to Faldo though, all the best to him with the Ryder Cup and Addidas... they've got some solid shoes, so no need to run around in something else and I'm sure they can keep him reasonable happy with a selection of sticks for the bag.

That 2-iron on #13 was a belter. Particularly after messing about with the 5 wood a couple of times and getting some moans from the gallery as a result. A fantastic shot.

I still say his 2-iron at Wentworth to win the Suntory final against Woosnam was he purest shot I've ever seen.

Some of the finest golf I've ever seen with my own eyes was the Lyle/Faldo final the preceding year. Absolutely amazing golf from both players. Faldo hit one laserlike iron shot after another, and Lyle alternated between literally hitting it sideways on occasion, and shooting -5 for the last five holes and what-have-you.

It shows you how times change. Back in '88 Lyle hit Wentworth's 570 yard 17th, in the damp autumnal conditions, with a drive and a 3 iron, and we all stood in amazement at such a display of power hitting. I bet a few of the decent plus-handicap junior players at Wentworth can do that now.

That BIC ad....great swing, simple, smooth but so complex as well....

What amazes me is he was one of the first real golf 'atheletes' along with Greg Norman, and is still as physically fit now at 50 as he was in his prime 15 years ago...

Tiger and the current crew have unknowingly used the Faldo/Norman model to take professional golf to a new level