Portland/Eugene Food/Bar Recommendations

Looking for advice. We are flying into portland this friday and driving to eugene for a few days to see the oregon/stanford game. Then driving on down to Bandon for a few days before heading home. We plan on playing Langdon Farms on Friday on the way down to Eugene. Looking for any good restaraunt/bar recommendations in Eugene or Portland. Or any not to miss things in general.

Cheers!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Eugene, Marche is good for fine dining and they have a great wine list. Lots of pub choices, but I'm partial to Cornucopia on 5th. Can't go wrong with any of the McMennamin's offerings either. Taylor's and Rennie's on campus will be nuts after the game if you want the campus bar experience. La Perla has very good Neopolitan pizza and Toshi's serves great ramen with handmade noodles.

If you can get on Eugene CC, do so.

Where are you staying in Eugene? If you're downtown popping over to Broadway will open a ton of options for you. I also have to tell you to have breakfast at the Original Pancake House, because they stayed open later for an out of town couple who were given bad directions and had walked almost completely across the city to find the place.

If you like Italian there is a place on Broadway had a real nice interior(brick). My wife really liked it(Italian isn't my thing).

Bring some running shoes and do a lap at Heyward Field. Unless there is a meet, it's open for the public to go run. Spencer Butte is a good hike I'm told as well.

Off the Waffle is a great breakfast stop in Eugene, but it does get quite busy.
If you like comfort food, Mother's Bistro in downtown Portland is absolutely delicious. Hawthorne Fish house is a great place if you like seafood. There are also plenty of food cart areas throughout the city that have become extremely popular, cheap and lots of variety in those.
If you're driving down 101 through Coos Bay on the way to Bandon, Pancake Mill was my favorite place to eat down there. Enjoy your trip!

In Eugene, get breakfast at the Pancake House, like someone said, or Studio 1, on the other side of campus. Way down Willamette, near 26th or so, there;s a good bar named Turtles, which I lived behind for a year. The off the waffle shop a block or two up the road is good. La Perla is a good rec for pizza. Track town will have games playing as well.

Go downtown to the Eugene City brewery, for rogue beer, and there's a couple of other bars right near by.

The track is ok, but it's really just a track, nothing special. Better to go walk/run along the river a bit for exercise, or hike Spencer's Butte if you have a couple of hours. It's a small town, easy to walk around downtown and find everything.

Portland is foodie heaven:
Pok Pok
Navarre
Nuestra Cucina
Lemongrass
Woodsman Tavern ($$$$!)
Ringside
Portland Steak and Chophouse
Block and Tackle
Food cart pods on SE Division or downtown
Escape From New York Pizza

For beer:
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Prost
Any McMenamins (also a few of these in Eugene)
Lucky Labrador Brew pubs

Good call on Langdon Farms. It's been raining here recently (big surprise) and Langdon is one of the better draining courses in the area. Easy access and the greens are in great shape after being punched early this month. Also one of the more interesting layouts. Enjoy the trip!

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

[quote name='spud3' timestamp='1414481738' post='10361003']
Pok Pok
Navarre
Nuestra Cucina
Lemongrass
Woodsman Tavern ($$$$!)
Ringside
Block and Tackle

For beer:
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Prost
Lucky Labrador Brew pubs

Good call on Langdon Farms. It's been raining here recently (big surprise) and Langdon is one of the better draining courses in the area. Easy access and the greens are in great shape after being punched early this month. Also one of the more interesting layouts. Enjoy the trip!
[/quote]

There are so many (too many) options for good food in Portland. To add to spud3's list:

El Amir - middle eastern food w/belly dancer

Portland City Grill - food decent but the views of the city is why you go; seriously go to happy hour there at least

Saburo's Sushi - MONSTER sized sushi. Like 3x normal size

Koi Fusion - food cart with Korean/Mexican fusion. Kim chee and bulgogi tacos oooohhhh sooooo good. Portland food carts are as good as most good restaurants.

Tara Thai - Almost as good as Pok Pok and Lemongrass for Thai food.

Apizza Scholls - New York style handmade crust pizza. The wait is the only thing that sucks.

El Gaucho - Expensive but they have some of the best steak in town.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1414436993' post='10358369']
In Eugene we are staying in a hotel on broadway somewhere close to the campus I think.

Just curious why I should bring running shoes do a lap at heyward field? Is that a famous field or something (please forgive the ignorance)?
[/quote]

Heyward Field is considered a mecca for track and field. Eugene is known as "Tracktown USA", and there is a Diamond League meet held every year, the US Olympic Trials have been held there for the last 2 times at least. Ashton Eaton set the world record in the decathlon there. And as I said, unless something is going on, it's open to the public. Not many venues that host world-class events can you just jump on and start doing that. Of course, if you have no interest in track and field at all, then none of this will mean anything to you.

If you do go for some kind of longer run, then yes, Alton Baker Park, and Pre's trail is a good spot to go to. Several laps around a track gets boring. But there is a fair bit of info about the history there, and you're pretty much in the heart of the campus as well.

It's also not far from Pre's Rock, which, again, is mostly a rock(if you are unaware Steve Prefontaine, 4th in the 5000 in Munich in 72 crashed his car and died there in 75), but it's one of those things. Ironcially when I went there, someone had put a ProV1 in the crack....

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414487064' post='10361093']
Pok Pok
Navarre
Nuestra Cucina
Lemongrass
Woodsman Tavern ($$$$!)
Ringside
Block and Tackle

For beer:
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Prost
Lucky Labrador Brew pubs

[/quote]

There are so many (too many) options for good food in Portland. To add to spud3's list:

Portland City Grill - food decent but the views of the city is why you go; seriously go to happy hour there at least

Koi Fusion - food cart with Korean/Mexican fusion. Kim chee and bulgogi tacos oooohhhh sooooo good. Portland food carts are as good as most good restaurants.

Apizza Scholls - New York style handmade crust pizza. The wait is the only thing that sucks.

[/quote]

I'll add a couple more for Portland:

[i][b]Gruner's[/b][/i]. Interesting menu, 'alpine cuisine', their liver & onions is to die for.

[i][b]Paley's[/b][/i]. Unique, just might be the best food in town. Fabulous service. Cozy.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1414510031' post='10362159']
Pok Pok
Navarre
Nuestra Cucina
Lemongrass
Woodsman Tavern ($$$$!)
Ringside
Block and Tackle

For beer:
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Prost
Lucky Labrador Brew pubs

[/quote]

[/quote]

[i][b]Gruner's[/b][/i]. Interesting menu, 'alpine cuisine', their liver & onions is to die for.

[i][b]Paley's[/b][/i]. Unique, just might be the best food in town. Fabulous service. Cozy.
[/quote]

Yes, there's no shortage of great food in PDX. I could add another 20 amazing places for food/beer, but I'll just highlight a few places already mentiond.

[u]Pok Pok[/u] : The Fish Sauce wings is their signature dish and it's one of the best things you'll ever eat. I don't use that statement lightly. They are amazing. The place is always packed. They run a bar across the street (Whiskey Soda Lounge) where you can order the wings as well as other Vietnamese street food dishes.

[u]Nuestra Cocina[/u] : Upscale Mexican food. Great drinks, great food. Amazing.

[u]Apizza Scholls[/u] : Best pizza I've had anywhere (New York, Chicago, wherever). These people are as passionate about pizza as 'Wrxers are about golf. You will not be disappointed. Plus, lots of great beer on tap. Expect to wait, but it's worth it. The Caesar Salad is amazing too.

[u]Screen Door[/u] : (personal favorite) - Farm to table Southern cuisine. Fried chicken is amazing (though more peppery than typical - which I like). Always have great organic, veggie specials to go along with all the great comfort foods. Mac & Cheese is ridiculously good too.

WIth all the rain in the area, Langdon Farms is a good place to play (and convenient on your way down to Eugene). Although, the best place to play in the area when it's wet is Stone Creek GC out in Oregon City. Front 9 is pretty open, back 9 is a little more interesting and tougher. #12 is one of the best holes in the region.

^ +1 for Stone Creek in the rain. Best winter/draining course around. Peter Jacobsen being a local knew wtf he was doing and made sure the drainage was a priority.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1414519577' post='10363069']
^ +1 for Stone Creek in the rain. Best winter/draining course around. Peter Jacobsen being a local knew wtf he was doing and made sure the drainage was a priority.
[/quote]
[quote name='EdL' timestamp='1414518403' post='10362949']
[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1414510031' post='10362159']
Pok Pok
Navarre
Nuestra Cucina
Lemongrass
Woodsman Tavern ($$$$!)
Ringside
Block and Tackle

For beer:
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Prost
Lucky Labrador Brew pubs

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, there's no shortage of great food in PDX. I could add another 20 amazing places for food/beer, but I'll just highlight a few places already mentiond.

[u]Pok Pok[/u] : The Fish Sauce wings is their signature dish and it's one of the best things you'll ever eat. I don't use that statement lightly. They are amazing. The place is always packed. They run a bar across the street (Whiskey Soda Lounge) where you can order the wings as well as other Vietnamese street food dishes.

[u]Nuestra Cocina[/u] : Upscale Mexican food. Great drinks, great food. Amazing.

[u]Apizza Scholls[/u] : Best pizza I've had anywhere (New York, Chicago, wherever). These people are as passionate about pizza as 'Wrxers are about golf. You will not be disappointed. Plus, lots of great beer on tap. Expect to wait, but it's worth it. The Caesar Salad is amazing too.

[u]Screen Door[/u] : (personal favorite) - Farm to table Southern cuisine. Fried chicken is amazing (though more peppery than typical - which I like). Always have great organic, veggie specials to go along with all the great comfort foods. Mac & Cheese is ridiculously good too.

WIth all the rain in the area, Langdon Farms is a good place to play (and convenient on your way down to Eugene). Although, the best place to play in the area when it's wet is Stone Creek GC out in Oregon City. Front 9 is pretty open, back 9 is a little more interesting and tougher. #12 is one of the best holes in the region.
[/quote]

Screen door is good. APizza Scholl's is over-rated. Find a Blind Onion Pizza if you want a good traditional type pizza. I've heard good things about Big-a** Sandwiches. I've been dying to try 24th and Meatballs. McMenamins are good, pub food, you know what you are getting, good beer, etc. Langdon has good food, too!

I disagree on the golf recommendation though in the above 2 posts, Stone Creek is great if all you want to play is 9 holes. The back (in my experience) is a swamp in the rain when you get to the 'ravine holes'. Best 14 holes in Portland, Langdon is a much better pick!

Thanks for the advice. We will probably spend most of Saturday before the Oregon Stanford game posted up watching college football games somewhere. I'm sure we will walk around for awhile to taking in the Oregon game day scene, but is there a good sports bar in Eugene (close to campus/stadium) to post up in and watch a bunch of games?

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1414620952' post='10370313']
[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1414594773' post='10367789']
...is there a good sports bar in Eugene (close to campus/stadium) to post up in and watch a bunch of games?
[/quote]

Rennie's Landing
[/quote]

Just make sure you're wearing green if you go into any Eugene bar to watch a football game...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

^ I3erto just don't wear Beaver orange and you should be safe. Now if you start screaming Roll Tide and nonsense like that, all bets are off.

Oh and coming from a Cal alum you should NEVER root for Stanford!

Have a great trip.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1414679692' post='10373451']
So wearing my usual bama game day attire would be frowned upon? ill be rooting for stanford for sure :) hahahaha
[/quote]
I was at the opener a couple years ago when they opened against Arkansas State, it was a total blowout. A man behind me (and many others) would not quit bickering at the refs for a few false starts and other penalties. I turned to tell him that it doesn't really matter man, you're up by 30 with like 7 minutes left. He continued to yell in my ear for a few minutes until I left.
If you're not a Duck fan in Autzen/Eugene on game day, let's just say they're not the nicest fans. Try to stay in the shadows lol.

Pok Pok
Navarre
Nuestra Cucina
Lemongrass
Woodsman Tavern ($$$$!)
Ringside
Block and Tackle

For beer:
Hopworks Urban Brewery
Prost
Lucky Labrador Brew pubs

[/quote]

[/quote]

I love Besaws in the NW of Portland.